Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, so we lost that hour. And no one seemed to love my idea about daylight saving time either. Since I've said many times in the past I'd prefer year-round DST, I think I failed to make the point that my new scheme was an alternate if all-year DST was never going to happen. I saw the discussion of everyone going by GMT, but I think that might be harder to deal with than people imagine, but maybe not. Oh well, it's all moot after we switch to stardates anyway.

Stardated Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Empire 2.
Images: Instructions To Complete This Computer Graded Test.
Media: Always Wear a Helmet Cam When You're Falling Down a Mountain.
Badman Batman says his goodbyes. NSFW. Thanks nin.
The Funnies: EXTRALIFE By Scott Johnson - Disastrous Thought.
FoxTrot.com.
EXTRALIFE By Scott Johnson - Mysterious.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2013, 03:14 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 19:54:
Just eliminate it entirely. It's such a silly concept to begin with. Honestly, what's an hour either way?
Silly? down right stupid. It's annoying and that's it. Plus it
s not healthy to mess with your body clock like that. It's unnatural.

So glad we don't have in my state (in Australia).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2013, 23:52 Cutter

DNForever wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 21:40:
That hour is huge. One extra hour of daylight reducing electricity bills and increasing outdoor time esp. in areas where you have bad winters... I say keep it.

That's such a garbage argument because lights will always go on when they're required anyway, and it's not increasing or decreasing anything because time still flows unchanged. Somehow Arizona manages just fine without it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2013, 23:14 Jivaro

1badmf wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:22:
worldwide GMT is stupid - the world does not revolve around england, neither financially or politically, so there's no way to justify it being 3pm in the middle of the night anywhere in the world, or any other odd hours.

i happen to dig blue's idea, but disrupting business and government, even by an hour, is probably never going to happen.

Except that after a generation or two the concept that "noon" has to be the middle of the day would disappear. As would all this AM and PM stuff.

Change is hard, but really...what does it matter if the sun is shining or not at a particular time? It doesn't. The seasons are completely different in the southern hemisphere and yet life still goes on. Christmas in December in Australia despite a lack of winter...and they don't even find it odd. I think if we can adjust to entire seasons being different we can adjust to the day/night cycle relative to the time. For me, GMT and no more AM/PM would be great.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2013, 21:40 DNForever

That hour is huge. One extra hour of daylight reducing electricity bills and increasing outdoor time esp. in areas where you have bad winters... I say keep it.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2013, 19:54 Cutter

Just eliminate it entirely. It's such a silly concept to begin with. Honestly, what's an hour either way?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2013, 17:22 1badmf

worldwide GMT is stupid - the world does not revolve around england, neither financially or politically, so there's no way to justify it being 3pm in the middle of the night anywhere in the world, or any other odd hours.

i happen to dig blue's idea, but disrupting business and government, even by an hour, is probably never going to happen.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo