Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game

A post on the EA website by Lucy Bradshaw has the latest word from the Maxis label general manager to discuss the fairly disastrous launch for SimCity, their online-only urban planning game. She explains what's going on with the game, and promises those who have suffered through its launch will be rewarded with a free game. "And to get us back in your good graces, were going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game," she writes. "I know thats a little contrived kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. Were hoping you wont stay mad and that well be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent." Here's word on the current status of the game:

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that were working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. Its working the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So were close to fixed, but not quite there. Im hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

View
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

34. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:49 Slick

William Usher wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:46:
Unless he's a shill.

A few were actually spotted accidentally still logged into their EA accounts while singing praises to the company and managed to get caught.

It was a true "LOL" moment and a wake up call for everyone who thinks that companies don't do this.

again, can you please point out to me where i've been "singing EA's praises"????

i've said in no uncertain terms that EA fucked up the launch badly, that's a bad thing, it made me sad etc. But that the GAME itself is actually really fun, and once they iron out the connection issues that usually follow the first launch week of an always-online game, then life probably won't be so grim?

but i'm still waiting on my EA shill cheque...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:47 ASeven

William Usher wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:46:
Unless he's a shill.

A few were actually spotted accidentally still logged into their EA accounts while singing praises to the company and managed to get caught.

It was a true "LOL" moment and a wake up call for everyone who thinks that companies don't do this.

Do tell about that incident, don't recall reading about it. I'm curious to read about it for a bit of entertainment.

32. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:46 William Usher

Unless he's a shill.

31. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:46 ASeven

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:45:

I rest my case.

30. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:45 Slick

ASeven wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:34:
Of all the corporate imbeciles, idiots and apologists in this site Slick has been by far the worst. He registered here in February and has spent all his time either singing praises for EA or saying how negative we are.

Slick deserves to be talked down to since that's the only way to talk to a level he understands.

Damn, I really hate bullshitters like Slick, who gain absolutely nothing in defending corporations that don't give a fuck about them.

do i need to point out how hilarious you sound when you string thoughts together like: "Slick's an idiot, an imbecile" "Slick deserves to be talked down to since that's the only way to talk to a level he understands."

and then qualify that with: "He's spent all his time saying how negative we are."

GEEE. I WONDER WHY?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

29. removed Mar 9, 2013, 14:34 ASeven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2013, 16:33.

28. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:34 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:32:

i think your'e missing my point.

You don't have a point, you were giving bad advice and I pointed out where you were factually incorrect so that people would correctly understand the potential consequences. I'm not addressing your obvious flamebait because it's not worthy of a response.

27. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:32 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:28:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:27:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9347459.page

That is third hand information from a forum topic from someone who hasn't waited. EA and Origin will ban accounts for chargebacks, it is literally their publicly stated position. It doesn't get any clearer than that. If you don't believe it then go ahead and put your money where your mouth is, buy a $5 game on Origin and charge it back. This isn't rocket science.

i think your'e missing my point. if you hate EA/origin, then why do you care if they ban you? it seems rather two-faced to bitch and whine about a product/service that's evil through and through, and then cry when you no longer have access to this service?

chargebacks are there to protect the consumer, if you're REALLY mad enough that a few days after launch of an always-online game, that they're having server issues... then those are your options. <-- rocket science

26. Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:31 Ant

Must be a crappy free game!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:29 nin

Now that I think about it, companies often buy people off when their immoral actions backfire.

It is surprising that, after having such a shitty experience, they think offering another game is just going to magically smooth things over for the game that didn't work and people paid $60 for.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:28 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:27:

That is third hand information from a forum topic from someone who hasn't waited. EA and Origin will ban accounts for chargebacks, it is literally their publicly stated position. It doesn't get any clearer than that. If you don't believe it then go ahead and put your money where your mouth is, buy a $5 game on Origin and charge it back. Merchants hate chargebacks, they can cost hundreds of dollars per transaction in penalties, fees and employee time. This isn't rocket science.

23. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:28 ASeven

Redmask wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:23:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:21:

yeah and like i said, if you call their support line, and tell them why, then it doesn't result in a ban. they don't ban for 1 chargeback, they ban if you're doing multiple chargebacks, as it costs them money everytime.

This is incorrect and doesn't jive with Origins publicly stated policy on chargebacks. There is a delay when chargebacks are processed before the merchant is notified, people doing them will likely get banned in a week or two. If you have evidence to post that says they will not ban accounts from the source (EA, Maxis or Origin) then do so otherwise be quiet and stop encouraging people to do something that will very likely jeopardize their accounts.

Slick lying in order to favor EA?? Say it ain't so!!

22. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:27 ASeven

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:20:
Redmask wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:19:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:09:
nin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:06:
Refunds?

if you want a refund, do a chargeback, they can't ban your account for 1 chargeback, just call their customr service and tell them why. pleanty of people on their official forums are doing this.

Yes they can and they have said any chargebacks will result in a permanent account ban.

Wait, someone doesn't have (s)Lick muted? Really??

He's off his meds again??

21. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:27 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:23:

yeah and like i said, if you call their support line, and tell them why, then it doesn't result in a ban. they don't ban for 1 chargeback, they ban if you're doing multiple chargebacks, as it costs them money everytime.

This is incorrect and doesn't jive with Origins publicly stated policy on chargebacks. There is a delay when chargebacks are processed before the merchant is notified, people doing them will likely get banned in a week or two. If you have evidence to post that says they will not ban accounts from the source (EA, Maxis or Origin) then do so otherwise be quiet and stop encouraging people to do something that will very likely jeopardize their accounts.

this is just the latest one i've seen in the last 10 seconds...

also, i don't see why people who hate origin and EA would care if they accounts are banned?

i mean, either you buy the ticket, the take the ride, or you say "fuck this" and demand a refund? it's not rocket science.

20. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:25 JohnBirshire

The free game I'm sure only applies to people who already bought SimCity, not new purchases, so dont rush out to buy it thinking you'll take advantage.

I remember Comcast took two weeks to fix my service once, and they offered me 5 full games. Much to my dismay, they were all cheap browser games, go figure.

I bought Deus Ex 2 from Gamestop when they had employees opening the boxes and taking stuff out of them, supposedly to hamper a competitor, and they apologized by giving me a $50 gift card.

Now that I think about it, companies often buy people off when their immoral actions backfire.

19. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:23 Wallshadows

One can only hope that experiences such as this are fabricated and untrue.

On this other hand, this is EA we're talking about...

18. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:23 Redmask

17. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:21 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:19:
Refunds?

if you want a refund, do a chargeback, they can't ban your account for 1 chargeback, just call their customr service and tell them why. pleanty of people on their official forums are doing this.

Yes they can and they have said any chargebacks will result in a permanent account ban, the last public text chat with an Origin rep where he asks for a refund even flat out says it.

16. removed Mar 9, 2013, 14:20 nin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2013, 16:35.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:19 Slick

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:16:
Refunds?

Who says they can't? This is EA, they not only can, but WILL ban your entire account for WTF ever reason they want. They put all sorts of weird things into their EULA. They've had that they can ban you for not reporting bugs. They've had that they WILL remove games if you don't use your account for a couple years. I'm sure there's other examples, those are only the 2 most memorable for me.

ok i guess i'm lying then, so are the hundreds of people who have confirmed not having their accounts banned on their forums. people just like you who are pissed and want a refund. they get the refund, and it's not good enough? what exactly are you going on about?

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo