Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game

A post on the EA website by Lucy Bradshaw has the latest word from the Maxis label general manager to discuss the fairly disastrous launch for SimCity, their online-only urban planning game. She explains what's going on with the game, and promises those who have suffered through its launch will be rewarded with a free game. "And to get us back in your good graces, were going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game," she writes. "I know thats a little contrived kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. Were hoping you wont stay mad and that well be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent." Here's word on the current status of the game:

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that were working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. Its working the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So were close to fixed, but not quite there. Im hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

View
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

54. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:17 deqer

People need to get their refunds, otherwise EA wins.

I feel bad that people will disapprove of SimCity, stop playing it, but not actually get their refund. So, even though the customer stopped playing/supporting the game, EA still won because they got their $60 because customer wasn't allowed a refund.

EA knows this, and is playing a game by rejecting refunds and assuming you won't take it further than that. I think their assumption is correct; people won't follow through, or try to sue, or whatever. I think EA's EULA is has enough vague bullshit in it to give EA authority to do anything they want for any reason or no reason--yes, I believe it actually says that, word for word, in their EULA.

We must not let EULA's control us. Must not let companies be permitted to put such important and vague messages in the "fine print" aka "EULA", because it's called "fine print" for a reason; because customers don't read fine print material and companies know this and take advantage of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 16:50 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:34:
More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

Shitty Beta then.

Zackly! And it's far better to be prepared and have too many servers in place initially and scale down after than pissing people off and trying to make it up after the fact. Something many MMOs learned to their detriment.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

52. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 16:04 Ruffiana

• Implement draconian 'always online' DRM to keep people from stealing your game.

• Legitimate customers can't play.

• End up giving away free games to try and placate them.
  •  

51. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:58 Kajetan

Panickd wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:48:
    This kind of screw up is what trips up the whole "always connected" DRM scheme (and gives fuel to the fire). If you want it, publishers, then you better hold up your fucking end of the deal and have a backend that can support it!
    And this is the beauty of it all. An expensive backend cuts into the revenue, which already suffers from very high developement and marketing costs

Whatever the majors do to increase their revenue, it only works on short, very short terms. This is no longer a sustainable business. This is a train running full speed to the end of the track!

50. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:48 Panickd

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:34:

Shitty Beta then.

It was never really a true beta. I'm not a bit shocked that "a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta" because that's what happens when you use the beta as a demo instead of a beta and only let people play for an hour at a time. Hell I couldn't even get the game to load past the beginning tutorial in the beta itself so I can't say they couldn't have seen this coming. This kind of screw up is what trips up the whole "always connected" DRM scheme (and gives fuel to the fire). If you want it, publishers, then you better hold up your fucking end of the deal and have a backend that can support it!

49. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:47 Slick

Kosumo wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:26:
    Aseven totally attacked Slick in an inmature, personal nature, with nothing else in his post. Way to add to the discussion (Just like I did )

yeah, well, when you generate this amount of hate without ever having said a negative word to anyone else on this board, then you know you're doing something right

i'm just waiting for Aseven's constantly violating the ToS to catch up with him.

48. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:42 Wallshadows

ASeven wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:17:
    In a way, this means Blue and us regulars are far more important than we think.

Silver lining, my friend! Now can you please pass the jug of Mountain Dew and container of Nutella so I can get back to WoW?

47. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:37 ASeven

Kosumo wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:26:
    Aseven totally attacked Slick in an inmature, personal nature, with nothing else in his post. Way to add to the discussion (Just like I did )

Hey, like I've always said here, I'm a brutally honest person with no patience for bullshit. If people don't like when I call them for what they are, well, tough shit for them.

46. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:34 xXBatmanXx

Shitty Beta then.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
    Playing: New dad

45. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:26 Kosumo

44. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:19 Slick

hey Aseven, you're not too good at reading the ToS of these forums are you?

What are the ground rules for forum posts?
    The idea behind the news forum is to provide a place to discuss gaming news. There are very few hard and fast rules. Here they are:

1) Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.

43. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:17 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:14:
    William Usher wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:57:
    http://tinyurl.com/aufbgnu

http://tinyurl.com/b7dr6hm

Can't be bothered to find more at the moment. Basically it's just EA panicking.

Remember a similar thing happened when they staged that gay protest and then acquiesce to the LBGT community in order to misdirect some of the negative press they were getting? Yeah, it's just more stuff like that...sort of.

Those are pretty damning and makes you wonder about all of the supposedly happy users on their forums and the weirdos we see crop up here from time to time. I'm not surprised but I am disappointed, awhile ago EA made some efforts to curb their DRM usage and try to get away from this sort of behavior. It's a shame to see it all happening again and much worse than before. A public disinformation campaign though, that's just wow, yikes.

On the bright side, shills and imbeciles only show up on forums that do have a good amount of influence amongst gamers in order to sway opinions or to simply troll and misdirect attention.

In a way, this means Blue and us regulars are far more important than we think.

42. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:15 Slick

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:12:
    In fact... let me think... has customer support said something else recently (besides them supposedly saying 1 chargeback is ok) that turned out to be false? This is a really hard question, let me think on it...

OH WAIT! It was EA saying they'd do refunds!

actually it was Maxis who said they'd do refunds, that was never sanctioned by the suits at EA. that was Maxis speaking out of turn.

and did you miss when i said that: "it could turn out to be bullshit and innacurate down the road"?

41. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:14 Verno

Remember a similar thing happened when they staged that gay protest and then acquiesce to the LBGT community in order to misdirect some of the negative press they were getting? Yeah, it's just more stuff like that...sort of.

Those are pretty damning and makes you wonder about all of the supposedly happy users on their forums and the weirdos we see crop up here from time to time. I'm not surprised but I am disappointed, awhile ago EA made some efforts to curb their DRM usage and try to get away from this sort of behavior. It's a shame to see it all happening again and much worse than before. A public disinformation campaign though, that's just wow, yikes.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
    Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

40. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:12 Dev

In fact... let me think... has customer support said something else recently (besides them supposedly saying 1 chargeback is ok) that turned out to be false? This is a really hard question, let me think on it...

OH WAIT! It was EA saying they'd do refunds!

39. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:06 Slick

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:54:
    Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:32:
    chargebacks are there to protect the consumer, if you're REALLY mad enough that a few days after launch of an always-online game, that they're having server issues... then those are your options. <-- rocket science
    Protect consumer... against fraud. Not against legit purchases, such as digital games that say no refunds.
    Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:19:
    ok i guess i'm lying then, so are the hundreds of people who have confirmed not having their accounts banned on their forums. people just like you who are pissed and want a refund. they get the refund, and it's not good enough? what exactly are you going on about?
    Who said you were lying, except yourself talking about it?

A couple days of no bans doesn't mean that they will NEVAR EVAR GET BANNED. A couple days means nothing.

For instance, valve's VAC often bans after weeks.

Once its been a couple months and no bans for chargebacks, then I might accept that EA doesn't care about that.

Thing is, since EA primarily cares about money... and this is hitting them in a place that they care about... pretty sure they won't just ignore it.

Even if some script reader says "oh yeah sure its ok" at the customer support number, that means NOTHING. Frequently customer support will tell people something that ends up not to be true.

yeah for sure, it could all end up being woefully innacurate, but at the moment, it looks like they're not banning. i can't really say more than that, i haven't done a chargeback myself, i enjoy the game. I'm only going off of what forum posters who claim to have tried a chargeback are saying.

And yes, EA does care about money (just like every other corporation on the planet). And in that respect, controlling a bad public image is very much in the same vein as wanting to GAIN MONEY. if people are pissed that they won't buy future EA titles, then that's MONEY. it's quite pragmatic when you think about it.

anyways, i'm anxious to see what "free game" i'm going to receive for not really doing anything. I do enjoy free stuff. My guess is that it's nothing too new (Crysis 3 is probably a no-go, but would be nice) and probably single-player games which have had a high percentage of piracy already.

Also, i still don't understand the idea that people would actually be upset if they got their EA account banned judging how they speak about Origin/EA to begin with? wouldn't that be like me saying how evil it is to eat meat, and how killing animals for food is wrong and evil, then i'm sad when someone slaps the burger out of my mouth? seems hypocritical to me. oh well.

38. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 15:01 Fantaz

Don't feed the trolls...  

37. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:58 Redmask

Does it get any more pathetic? Caught red handed. Thanks, gonna bookmark those for future ammo when people say companies don't do this shit.

ASeven wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:34:
    Of all the corporate imbeciles, idiots and apologists in this site Slick has been by far the worst. He registered here in February and has spent all his time either singing praises for EA or saying how negative we are.

It's pretty obvious who he is, rhymes with blunder.

36. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 14:57 William Usher

35. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:54 Dev

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:32:
    chargebacks are there to protect the consumer, if you're REALLY mad enough that a few days after launch of an always-online game, that they're having server issues... then those are your options. <-- rocket science
    Protect consumer... against fraud. Not against legit purchases, such as digital games that say no refunds.
    Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:19:
    ok i guess i'm lying then, so are the hundreds of people who have confirmed not having their accounts banned on their forums. people just like you who are pissed and want a refund. they get the refund, and it's not good enough? what exactly are you going on about?
    Who said you were lying, except yourself talking about it?

A couple days of no bans doesn't mean that they will NEVAR EVAR GET BANNED. A couple days means nothing.

For instance, valve's VAC often bans after weeks.

Once its been a couple months and no bans for chargebacks, then I might accept that EA doesn't care about that.

Thing is, since EA primarily cares about money... and this is hitting them in a place that they care about... pretty sure they won't just ignore it.

Even if some script reader says "oh yeah sure its ok" at the customer support number, that means NOTHING. Frequently customer support will tell people something that ends up not to be true.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 15:12.

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo