Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game

A post on the EA website by Lucy Bradshaw has the latest word from the Maxis label general manager to discuss the fairly disastrous launch for SimCity, their online-only urban planning game. She explains what's going on with the game, and promises those who have suffered through its launch will be rewarded with a free game. "And to get us back in your good graces, were going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game," she writes. "I know thats a little contrived kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. Were hoping you wont stay mad and that well be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent." Here's word on the current status of the game:

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that were working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. Its working the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So were close to fixed, but not quite there. Im hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

View
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

74. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 20:51 Dev

ASeven wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:16:
It's Slick, he has lied before to make EA look good, like saying Steamguard was obligatory and was some sort of nasty DRM. These kind of lies seem disingenuous at the very best and very nasty with the purpose of doing harm to members here at the very worst. At this point nothing he says can be taken seriously.

Slick is quickly becoming our resident "village idiot" of sort, only with a lot more spin and shill and less entertainment.
Yeah, and then when I responded explaining what it was and the valve description of it... guess what? He never replied to that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 20:31 s1mon75

By 'Free Game', im sure they mean 'Free DLC for SimCity that would have shipped with the game had it been released 5 years ago'  

72. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 20:30 Steele Johnson

What's the free game going to be, Bejeweled? lol  

71. removed Mar 9, 2013, 20:16 ASeven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 10, 2013, 08:52.

70. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 20:09 ASeven

uhlsla wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:52:
No thanks. Still not going to buy it. Anyone heard of the Kickstarter one Civitas? Maybe if this one sells a few million copies more than SimCity maybe EA will listen.....Nah who am I kidding!!

I like how you registered today just to promote Civitas, which looks more like a scam than anything else.

Good grief, we have Slick for EA and now this for Civitas. SimCity is sure attracting its share of idiots to Blue.

69. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 20:06 Asmodai

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:06:
yeah for sure, it could all end up being woefully innacurate, but at the moment, it looks like they're not banning. i can't really say more than that, i haven't done a chargeback myself, i enjoy the game. I'm only going off of what forum posters who claim to have tried a chargeback are saying.

Well then it's incredibly bad advice considering people may have a stable of games linked to their EA account...

"Oh yeah, I listened to this anonymous forum guy who said I should be fine and now I've lost all my titles, wtf EA!!!"

In cases where you might have more than just Simcity on your account, and in the face of EA saying it will ban people for chargebacks, discretion might be the better part of valour for people who own other EA games... Saying otherwise, and I'm guessing you would never take responsibility if your advice turned out to be false, is downright nasty.

68. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 20:02 PropheT

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:10:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 17:53:
William Usher wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:57:
http://tinyurl.com/aufbgnu

http://tinyurl.com/b7dr6hm

HAHAHAHAHAA. So typically EA, fantastic. "Simcity UK: Fantastic Game! Worth Every Penny!"

They are so fucking pathetic.

Creston

ROFL !!!

Might be worth pointing out that SimCity UK is a fan site and not EA, so at least that second screenshot doesn't mean what you or the person responding to it thinks it does.

67. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 19:59 nin

uhlsla wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:52:
No thanks. Still not going to buy it. Anyone heard of the Kickstarter one Civitas? Maybe if this one sells a few million copies more than SimCity maybe EA will listen.....Nah who am I kidding!!

I'm still convinced that ones a scam...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

66. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 19:52 uhlsla

65. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 19:22 KilrathiAce

Like I needed any more reasons not to ever touch any product associated with EA.... lol  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

64. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 18:40 Taskeen

With a disaster like ACM, they should have fkn pulled it back and promised to re-make the damn game. I bet those Gearbox trolls are real excited the heat is off them from this SimCity release.  

63. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 18:13 deqer

Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:06:
That's pretty nifty. Does it let you select the area

Yup. When you press the key for screenshot, the screen turns 50% dark and you draw your selection square and let go, and boom.

62. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 18:10 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 17:53:

HAHAHAHAHAA. So typically EA, fantastic. "Simcity UK: Fantastic Game! Worth Every Penny!"

Creston

ROFL !!!

Steam: SpectralMeat

61. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 18:06 Sepharo

deqer wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:00:
Software programs like "droplr" make this a breeze to do. Just press one key, and it takes a screenshot and uploads it for you and gives you a short d.pr/dd784kf URL and automatically copies it to your clipboard ready for you to paste anywhere you want.

That's pretty nifty. Does it let you select the area to screenshot or crop instantly? I tend to use the snip tool, copy to clipboard, and ctrl-v on imgur.

Not the same thing really but I also use a chrome extension that allows you to right click any image and instantly upload it to imgur.

60. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 18:00 deqer

Now a days, having a URL just isn't good enough. Now a days, you need to immediately take a screenshot of what you see before it gets removed. Post your screenshot on photobucket or something, then use that URL and share!

Good job to the guy who did that with the two tinyurl facebook posts there.

Software programs like "droplr" make this a breeze to do. Just press one key, and it takes a screenshot and uploads it for you and gives you a short d.pr/dd784kf URL and automatically copies it to your clipboard ready for you to paste anywhere you want.

59. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:58 wtf_man

If you bought this game, supporting the Always-Onine DRM model... you deserve to be boffed in the keester without Vaseline, by EA. Hope ya learned your lesson, but you probably didn't... and you all will be buying "Dragonboner Aged 3: Microtransaction your Starting Equipment"

Zero Sympathy.

/shrug

58. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 17:53 Creston

Creston

57. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:41 Beelzebud

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 16:04:
  • Implement draconian 'always online' DRM to keep people from stealing your game.

• Legitimate customers can't play.

• End up giving away free games to try and placate them.

• DRM is a great idea, right?

56. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:40 WaltC

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy a single-player game which is dependent on remote servers to run. Why? When the servers go down, either temporarily or permanently, there goes the game and there goes your dough along with it. Even if you don't care about this kind of DRM and can take it or leave it, you ought to care a lot about server dependency. I bought several SimCity games in the past but I surely won't buy this one. And that's exactly why.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

55. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:21 NKD

http://i.imgur.com/smZg7Wu.png

Thought of this earlier, had to make an image.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo