Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game

A post on the EA website by Lucy Bradshaw has the latest word from the Maxis label general manager to discuss the fairly disastrous launch for SimCity, their online-only urban planning game. She explains what's going on with the game, and promises those who have suffered through its launch will be rewarded with a free game. "And to get us back in your good graces, were going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game," she writes. "I know thats a little contrived kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. Were hoping you wont stay mad and that well be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent." Here's word on the current status of the game:

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that were working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. Its working the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So were close to fixed, but not quite there. Im hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

View
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

94. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 10:28 ASeven

Ouch, Tom Chick reviews the game and says that the game design itself is broken.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

93. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 01:38 deqer

D4rkKnight wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:40:
I just hope this whole fiasco convinces EA to treat this game as more then a money pot. Please Maxis, fix your game.
It won't convince EA, believe me.

In business, there is no fiasco to admit to. Hell, even out on the road there is no admitting to an accident you caused, right?... lol

Although they admit it, they've still won. They just feed the sheeple more fluff(some free game) and everything is better now, right? Like saying "oops. sorry. ok, move along now.", a "slap on the wrist" and nothing more.

Haven't you been reading? It's all about the publishers now. Game dev now a days have publishers in the mix, and business models for making money.

And I wouldn't be so sure that the developers are innocent here either. The developers are what pitch these "business model" ideas, just so the developers can win the contract and get the job/work and make money, so they can keep their own jobs and live.

92. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 01:18 Fletch

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  

91. Re: Which free game? Mar 10, 2013, 01:05 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:52:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:17:
It is? I did a google on it, and I didn't see a site called SimCity UK offhand, but obviously they may have a different name than they do on FB.

Creston

Yep, it's a fan site. I am not sure it really makes it so much better...just stupid for a different reason.

Well, at least it's not EA touting its own horn. In that instance. So, my bad.

Creston

90. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 00:36 Redmask

Verno wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 22:30:
s1mon75 wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:31:
By 'Free Game', im sure they mean 'Free DLC for SimCity that would have shipped with the game had it been released 5 years ago'

No, that will come later in the Subways + larger city expansion that everyone knows is coming because EA plans to milk this shit into the ground. The only reason to go this nuts with DRM is to kill any kind of mods in favor of DLC and mine data on the users.

I forgot they took out subways, thats really shitty. Like you said its pretty much a given that they will be trying to DLC this out the ass and one of the first things will be expanded city sizes and much of the infrastructure they streamlined out of the game.

People are discovering that even when the servers have gone down mysteriously that their city keeps functioning, begs the question what exactly is put on the server side of things? Right now it seems like just map events like loads, saves and achievements cause an issue. That just further points to this being nothing but a DRM strategy.

89. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 00:12 Dev

D4rkKnight wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:40:
Simcity 4 had simulation problems as well. Hence the Rush Hour expansion to address this. These I understand and expect to be addressed in patches and expansions. I just hope this whole fiasco convinces EA to treat this game as more then a money pot. Please Maxis, fix your game.
How many times has EA done that before? Changed from treating a game like a money pot, to something more?

88. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 00:10 Dev

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:35:
[(although managing traffic is part of the game re: your screenshot, not really a bug)
[...]
*edit can someone please tell me how to make URLs work? the normal code isn't cutting it?
Where firetrucks are surrounding burning buildings and not putting it out? Thats not a bug? Its the fault of the person? Uh huh.

As for URLs, you can paste them in with no codes if they are standard form and short enough, but to use the tag click the URL button down below. The URL goes right after =, the description goes in between the ][[url=www.lmgtfy.com]try it[/url]

87. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 00:09 entr0py

Honestly, for the people who did buy the game thinking a reliable internet connection would make always online DRM tolerable, this could do a lot to win back their trust if they offer a selection of the latest, most expensive EA games including another copy of SimCity. I don't think that will happen, but that's what it would take. Otherwise it's just a lame attempt to stem the outrage for a week while offering zero details on the reparation.  

86. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 23:40 D4rkKnight

Simcity 4 had simulation problems as well. Hence the Rush Hour expansion to address this. These I understand and expect to be addressed in patches and expansions. I just hope this whole fiasco convinces EA to treat this game as more then a money pot. Please Maxis, fix your game.  

85. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 23:35 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:36:
Well done EA. No bugs here.

My friend took this one that happened after his firetrucks couldn't get past the cities buggy ass traffic AI.

LOLZ! great videos. yeah maxis are pretty infamous for their ai bugs, and I was expecting no less. (although managing traffic is part of the game re: your screenshot, not really a bug) If anyone has played Sims 3 can attest, even after 5 years of patching, there's still bugs where 1 sim repeatedly tries to enter a fake door over and over on the other end of town and it will end up crashing the whole damned game.

I rightly put EA's feet to the fire on this on their official forums (where if you want to get heard by the publishers, that's where you post) saying that they'd better pump money into post launch patching for AI bugs.

[url]http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9295469.page[/url]

I hope they address these things, but i actually know a coder very well, so well infact i married her, she writes code to sift through mountains of astrological data to try and "find" Type 1a Supernova progenitors. if you fuck up just one letter in a block of code that's 10 pages long, your code comes out all upside down. debugging is fucking PAINFUL. but just be patient, and keep reporting the bugs on the appropriate forums

[url]http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/4192.page[/url]

you see i've helped build a game before (well, a mod)

[url]http://www.torontoconflict.com/[/url]

I understand the process, it's painstaking, tedious, and amazingly ungratifying. why the hell there are people in this world who still do these jobs i'll never know, thank god they do though, or else we'd all have alot less to complain about

there a PROCESS for getting things fixed, let's all be mature adults and be apart of it. I'm amazed that there's a gillion qq threads on every forum on the planet about this issue, but the actual "Technical Problems" forums has like 7 posts... makes me think most people are fine being apart of the problem and not the solution. Kicking and screaming like toddlers isn't going to get anyone anywhere... actually wait it got me a free game, LOL! infact nevermind, keep crying!

*edit can someone please tell me how to make URLs work? the normal code isn't cutting it?

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 23:40.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

84. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 23:05 Rhino

Verno wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 22:30:
By 'Free Game', im sure they mean 'Free DLC for SimCity that would have shipped with the game had it been released 5 years ago'

No, that will come later in the Subways + larger city expansion that everyone knows is coming because EA plans to milk this shit into the ground. The only reason to go this nuts with DRM is to kill any kind of mods in favor of DLC and mine data on the users.

It'll be your choice of a copy of Dragon Age 2 and Medal of Honor or something along those lines. Just adding to the shitshow we've seen so far. Damned shame whats going on EA at these days, I don't know if anyone saw that leaked letter from an employee but even some of them seem to question just WTF management is thinking. There are ways to make money without resorting to this sort of anti-consumer crap, I feel like its a short term gain for long term loss thing and I hope it comes back to haunt them later.

My guess from last night was Sims 3. For those who already have Sims 3, a choice of expansion pack from the earlier expansions in the hopes that it will lead to further purchases. A way of saying "Thanks for being so patient. And remember, if you enjoy Sims 3, you can have even MORE fun by spending money on our expansion packs, stuff packs, Simpoints to be used at the Sim Store, maybe the stand alone Sims Medieval, Mysims. Hey, while we're at it, try out Sims Social on Facebook!"

83. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 22:30 Verno

It'll be your choice of a copy of Dragon Age 2 and Medal of Honor or something along those lines. Just adding to the shitshow we've seen so far. Damned shame whats going on EA at these days, I don't know if anyone saw that leaked letter from an employee but even some of them seem to question just WTF management is thinking. There are ways to make money without resorting to this sort of anti-consumer crap, I feel like its a short term gain for long term loss thing and I hope it comes back to haunt them later.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

82. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 22:09 Slick

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:30:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:58:
and ASeven, you really have me on your shit list don't you? wanna cut out the personal attacks a bit? you can debate my opinions will my eyes turn blue, but you aitn't got no right no be talking smack like that.

If you're having a problem with somebody you should probably just put them on your ignore list and move on. Life's too short.

yeah i know i should, but i 'd prefer it better if the powers that be put a muzzle on this 1-man hatefest. I wouldn't like the idea that everytime i post there's people talking shit about me behind my back.

Ignorance is bliss, but you can't willfully make yourself ignorant. (i know someone's going to use that a a fox news sound bite to come bite me in the ass lol)

I'm an upfront kinda guy, and i like dealing with people face to face if possible. I know it's the internet and everyone's annonymous, so they feel like they can tear someone apart and it's cool. but i don't roll like that.

i'd rather solve differences through effective communication.

81. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 21:52 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:17:
It is? I did a google on it, and I didn't see a site called SimCity UK offhand, but obviously they may have a different name than they do on FB.

Creston

Yep, it's a fan site. I am not sure it really makes it so much better...just stupid for a different reason.

80. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 21:38 Sepharo

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:59:
uhlsla wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:52:
No thanks. Still not going to buy it. Anyone heard of the Kickstarter one Civitas? Maybe if this one sells a few million copies more than SimCity maybe EA will listen.....Nah who am I kidding!!

I'm still convinced that ones a scam...

Yeah, apparently a group of nameless Austin developers.

As you all may have already heard, there have been quite a few studio closings around Austin TX and elsewhere lately. Well, some of us were among the unlucky few caught up in all of that.

The "Who We Are" is probably the most important section to me on Kickstarter and their's is very vague.

We are not shaken at all by the doubters that love to donate 1 dollar to discourage us all in our comments section, we know where they are coming from, and we all know how they'll end up looking when the kickstarter is updated and we all move forward making this amazing game together. The negativity of a few won't derail Civitas.

Still seems like a cash-grab scam thrown together to take advantage of some of that SimCity outrage.

79. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 21:36 Redmask

Well done EA. No bugs here.

My friend took this one that happened after his firetrucks couldn't get past the cities buggy ass traffic AI.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 21:41.

78. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 21:30 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:58:
and ASeven, you really have me on your shit list don't you? wanna cut out the personal attacks a bit? you can debate my opinions will my eyes turn blue, but you aitn't got no right no be talking smack like that.

If you're having a problem with somebody you should probably just put them on your ignore list and move on. Life's too short.

77. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 21:17 Creston

PropheT wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:02:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:10:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 17:53:
William Usher wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:57:
http://tinyurl.com/aufbgnu

http://tinyurl.com/b7dr6hm

HAHAHAHAHAA. So typically EA, fantastic. "Simcity UK: Fantastic Game! Worth Every Penny!"

They are so fucking pathetic.

Creston

ROFL !!!

Might be worth pointing out that SimCity UK is a fan site and not EA, so at least that second screenshot doesn't mean what you or the person responding to it thinks it does.

Creston

76. removed Mar 9, 2013, 21:13 ASeven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 10, 2013, 08:51.

75. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 20:58 Slick

Asmodai wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:06:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:06:
yeah for sure, it could all end up being woefully innacurate, but at the moment, it looks like they're not banning. i can't really say more than that, i haven't done a chargeback myself, i enjoy the game. I'm only going off of what forum posters who claim to have tried a chargeback are saying.

Well then it's incredibly bad advice considering people may have a stable of games linked to their EA account...

"Oh yeah, I listened to this anonymous forum guy who said I should be fine and now I've lost all my titles, wtf EA!!!"

In cases where you might have more than just Simcity on your account, and in the face of EA saying it will ban people for chargebacks, discretion might be the better part of valour for people who own other EA games... Saying otherwise, and I'm guessing you would never take responsibility if your advice turned out to be false, is downright nasty.

since when was i handing out advice??? i said that if you're mad about a product, then take it up through the consumerist channels provided to you? it IS bullshit that the'd consider compromising your entire account. no one is questioning that. that would terrible. I'm not advising people to go throw their EA accounts away. I'm simply re-iterating that I've read that if you speak ON THE PHONE to their customer service (probably have to bump it up to tier 2 and wait a long ass time as anyone who's worked in a call center knows) actually GOT HIS REFUND and WITHOUT GETTING HIS ACCOUNT BANNED.

try using words with people, use reason, you never know how far you'll get

Probably an American... (shrug)

oh and to ONCE AND FOR ALL kill these notions that i'm some sort other person who's been previously banned and now under a new identity bullshit. I'm DeeJaySlick add me if you ever wanna play some BF3, I Spin dope beats from Toronto, Canada. And don't take shit from nobody's who can't back-up their claims

[url=]http://www.djslick.ca/monkeybiznuss[/url]

there's some set rips from Last Sunday. Now tell me I'm Lying And I'll start posting pictures. LOL.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 21:10.

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo