Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update

A fourth update to the Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera has word that now that Brian Fargo owes them $100k for matching 10% of the first million dollars pledged to inXile entertainment's upcoming RPG, "Torment Superfan" Steve Dengler is matching 10% of the game's funding from $2 million to $3 million. And yes, this is already in play, as the crowd sourced funding for the game is already past 2.25 million, so they have also now added a $3 million stretch goal, which adds further MacGuffins, another secret companion, and more (the update gives quite a bit of detail on the complexity this tier will add to the game). Finally, they offer this trailer highlighting the music in the game.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 22:57 Creston

Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 19:15:
So, here we are in March 2013 with not even a single printed reference to this new setting that this game will showcase and somehow this experience will be as rich and substantial as Planescape:Torment?

It's been a loooong time since I played it, but if memory serves, all you really see in PS:T is the City of Doors, and then a few planes, right? It's not as if the game took you to all the cool areas in planescape?

Or am I forgetting a bunch of stuff?

In a way, I like that it's a new setting. The devs can just come up with basically whatever seems cool and weird enough for something like this.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 21:32 Jerykk

So, here we are in March 2013 with not even a single printed reference to this new setting that this game will showcase and somehow this experience will be as rich and substantial as Planescape:Torment?

PST was as rich and substantial as it was because of the team at Black Isle, not because of the setting alone. The game would have been just as rich and substantial if it used a completely original setting.

24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 19:15 Optional Nickname!

briktal wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 11:26:
I'm still not sure why this game is supposed to be good. It's a second big RPG being worked on by a developer that's made 1 decent game, 1 bad game, and 1 failed and cancelled game in 10 years.

What concerns me is that the setting of this game, Numenera, is still in the Kickstarter stage. July 2013 is the target date for delivery of Rule Books and Player Guides.

Ironically, It is almost too perfect that one of the originators of that well-established setting, Planescape...the one we are apparently abandoning, is the creator of this new setting.

You really could not ask for a more intricate real-life analogue to Planescape:Torment. The actual creator of the Multiverse forced to abandon it and start the process of Creation anew due to the petty acts of other differently-aligned faction heads, vying for supremacy.

23. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 18:25 Creston

I'm still not sure why this game is supposed to be good. It's a second big RPG being worked on by a developer that's made 1 decent game, 1 bad game, and 1 failed and cancelled game in 10 years.

It's a fair point, but I do want to point out that those 3 games were all made under publisher influence. Ergo, they made the game the publisher wanted them to make, rather than the game THEY wanted to make.

Now they are free to make the game they want to make (I think most of this "community influence" is smoke and mirrors anyway), and they have several of the guys who worked on the predecessor, so I'm reasonably optimistic that it'll be good.

(Obviously within constraints of the budget.)

Creston

22. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 15:50 Silicon Avatar

saluk wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 15:36:

It's a bit of a leap of faith - more of a hope that it's good than any kind of "oh yeah, torment is going to kick butt!" The decent game they made was actually an rpg - none of their other titles have been. Moreover, the people involved have actually made great games, and there are people on this project who worked on the first torment.

It also helps a lot that the design of torment and wasteland 2 are very clear and have been successful designs in the past. Sequels are harder to do badly, especially if you follow the formula and don't try and change genre mid-series (*cough* ME *cough*).

So all in all, leap of faith, yes, but not blind misplaced optimism.

Yes.

Besides, if they really botch it, nobody is going to fund their future Kickstarters. It's literally the place where people vote with their wallet. There's no sugar-daddy publisher to sweep in and let them churn out another crap title if the first one bombs.

21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 15:36 saluk

It's a bit of a leap of faith - more of a hope that it's good than any kind of "oh yeah, torment is going to kick butt!" The decent game they made was actually an rpg - none of their other titles have been. Moreover, the people involved have actually made great games, and there are people on this project who worked on the first torment.

It also helps a lot that the design of torment and wasteland 2 are very clear and have been successful designs in the past. Sequels are harder to do badly, especially if you follow the formula and don't try and change genre mid-series (*cough* ME *cough*).

So all in all, leap of faith, yes, but not blind misplaced optimism.

20. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 14:35 jacobvandy

And I'm still not sure why people can't understand that mid-size developers-for-hire like inXile and Obsidian make games they're told to make, largely in the manner they're told to make them. For every cool idea they might have for Hunted: The Demon's Forge or Fallout: New Vegas, they've got a dozen of other mandates coming from Bethesda (in those cases) or whoever's in charge to focus on mass appeal, console-flavor shit that we don't like. Oh, and they have to put in double hours for no extra pay for 3-6 months in a row in order to finish it up in time for that spot on the marketing calendar, or else they won't get paid at all...

Kickstarter is an opportunity for these guys to tell big publishers to FUCK OFF, so they can make the games they want to make, how they want to make them, and in an amount of time they think is needed. It's as close as we are possibly going to get to seeing anything like what was released in the glory days of PC gaming, ~15 years ago. Because these are the guys that made those games, they just haven't been allowed to do anything like that since.

19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 13:37 mag

Because the individuals involved have worked on the best games in the genre, and it's supposed to be a successor to one of the most-loved. Leap of faith that we might get to experience something like what Black Isle would have put out if it had stuck around.

18. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 11:51 Cpmartins

Spot on. I backed W2 and this one, plus P:E ,the LB thing and Shadowrun Returns. For me, it's a leap of faith. Blind hope, really, that if one of them is even half-decent, i'll get my money back. Because decent RPGs nowadays? With choices and consequences, well written NPCs and companions, with a plot that isn't complete nonsense? None.

17. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 11:26 briktal

16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 04:14 Frijoles

siapnar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 16:06:
The ingame assets in the Lord British kickstarter are atrocious.
Sure, you may scream that it's an early prototype, but that doesn't mean preliminary assets need to be so bland and unoriginal... and circa 2001.
Doesn't instill much faith in their art team, or Art Director.

He addressed this in one of his videos. He said the art was done by non-artists. They don't have an art team yet, or they're just bringing them in or something like that. Basically it's one step up from stick figures. I thought the same thing, though, that it looked like ass. I hope that wasn't just an excuse.

15. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 01:17 Jerykk

On a side note, this music track is great. Mark Morgan is probably my favorite game music composer. His work is always unique and memorable and fits its respective game perfectly. Awesome to see him working on Torment and WL2.  

14. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 01:07 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:55:
Never heard of the guy until this last update, but it's an awesome thing he's doing.

Yeah, he backs a ton of projects from small teams that normally have no chance to get developed, etc. He's backed several games from indie developers. He genuinely seems like a great guy.

Creston

13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 00:58 Silicon Avatar

Nice. The more people pile on the more game content I get at my cheap-o entry level pledge.

12. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 21:55 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 21:20:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:26:
Steve Dengler is awesome. He's an investor who actually plays games and is willing to put his money behind the ones he thinks will be good (even if they won't necessarily give him the biggest returns). Wish more investors were like him.

He backs a whole bunch of small-time projects and seems to generally just be a great guy.

I learned about him through his sister's webcomic, which is actually pretty funny.

Edit : In case you were curious, Steve is also the reason why Chris Avellone can't work on Torment.

Creston

Never heard of the guy until this last update, but it's an awesome thing he's doing.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 21:20 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:26:
Steve Dengler is awesome. He's an investor who actually plays games and is willing to put his money behind the ones he thinks will be good (even if they won't necessarily give him the biggest returns). Wish more investors were like him.

He backs a whole bunch of small-time projects and seems to generally just be a great guy.

I learned about him through his sister's webcomic, which is actually pretty funny.

Edit : In case you were curious, Steve is also the reason why Chris Avellone can't work on Torment.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 21:43.

10. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 19:04 RaZ0r!

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 16:52:
RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:22:
I pledged. This, and Lord British's game, and Carmageddon...

I feel so weak.

Yes, yes you are. I am not backing this because I want to see a good product out the door first - that I already pledged for - and on time! I'll buy this but I'm against pledging for the above and a few other reasons. And not backing LB because it sounds like shite to begin with.

In my defense, at least I didn't buy SimCity. That makes me happy.

9. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 18:26 Jerykk

8. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 17:26 Creston

The really crazy thing is that it's not even slowing down very much. People are just continuing to donate. This might legitimately break 5 million.

Crazy!

Creston

7. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 16:52 Cutter

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:22:
I pledged. This, and Lord British's game, and Carmageddon...

I feel so weak.

Yes, yes you are. I am not backing this because I want to see a good product out the door first - that I already pledged for - and on time! I'll buy this but I'm against pledging for the above and a few other reasons. And not backing LB because it sounds like shite to begin with.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo