Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PCMag.com - An Open Letter to EA on SimCity: You Could Have Prevented This.
When concerns are raised over "online features," listen to them. When people warn you months in advance that there will be server issues, listen to them. When gamers worry that they won't be able to play SimCity years from now (when every SimCity game from the Super Nintendo version to SimCity 4 remains playable and enjoyable), listen to them. Turn away from your paranoia regarding piracy and realize that there are tons of customers who want to give you money in exchange for being able to play a game. Appreciate the value of customer loyalty and developing a community instead of squeezing every last drop out of people and discarding them.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 23:33 Kosumo

When is this 'new' wave of gaming coming to the console I wonder?

Have there been similare DRM on consoles yet?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 23:28 w34sl3

No,no,no. Please stop this idea PCmag.com. EA dont you listen to a word they say (Not that they will anyways). You keep on protecting yourself from those terrible pirateses. DRM is the wave of the future and there you are riding that wave of protection on your intellectial property. You have a right, nay and obligation to your shareholders to protect thier interests. If there are a few bumps in the road when a new IP ships well the customer can just wait until the issue is resolved.
Look this is new territory and there are bound to be some trials along the way. I mean what does the customer expect, you to build large server farms just to beta what thousands of people logging in at one time would do? I dont think so, that stuff is expensive and it cuts into profits. Profits are what your shareholders expect, so its best to deliver.
Hey if Activision and Ubisoft can have it in thier games, then dang gum, so can you. Oh sure they had some problems in the begining, but look at all those sales from bringing back dead IP's. And just think after a year you can turn off those servers when no one plays that game, or even better migrate them to next years version of the same game. I mean its not like your shipping a game that doesnt work as advertised or anything, like some kind of Acclaim software or something. Its just a minor glitch in your DRM grand sceme, it will get worked out, besides once it starts working all those whining customers will come right back. Yep EA your on the right track, the true path, those other nilly willy companys might balk at DRM or the customer backlash, but not you EA, nope you need to stand strong, keep on the path and dont listen to anyone in your beta forums. How many of those little people really know what thier talking about anyway. If they were so smart they would be making thier own games, right? Right. Now get back to working on next years version of SIMcity and let those networking guys clean up that server mess, you got profits to make and future IP's to plot out.

"Give a man enough rope and he'll hang himself."
-American Proverb quotes

7. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 22:44 Yosemite Sam

Heh silly man, he thinks EA gives a rats ass what he thinks? How cute. Buddy buy into being a major share holder and then, and only then, will they give a shit what you think. Of course the catch 22 is major shareholders don't know diddly squat about video games.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 22:32 Cutter

If he bought the game and new it was ODRM then he needs to STHU.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 22:12 Sempai

Kudos PCMag. 110% agreed.  

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 21:47 RaZ0r!

I still don't believe DRM is the focus of SimCity, it's data mining. DRM was just a nice side benefit and a good cover for all the personal habits and clicks they are mining from you.  

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 21:37 Creston

Poor PCMag.com. You might as well have written your letter in Sanskrit.

"This guy here is talking about listening to your fans and NOT squeezing every last drop out of people before discarding them? Does anyone know what the hell that means? It's so weird."

Creston

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 21:16 D4rkKnight

There is only one way they can guarantee a purchase from me and many others at this point:

• True offline mode

• Larger regions

• Changes to game play to fully accommodate the single player mode

• At this point, simply allowing offline play and local city saves will not fix this game - the game play punishes you for playing alone and needs serious redesign to be complete. For instance, time frozen regions.

If they can accomplish that and of course make it a free patch, I will buy it.

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 21:09 Julio

Kind of funny that SimCity2000 is a top selling game on GOG right now. At least you can play it I guess.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo