Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PCMag.com - An Open Letter to EA on SimCity: You Could Have Prevented This.
When concerns are raised over "online features," listen to them. When people warn you months in advance that there will be server issues, listen to them. When gamers worry that they won't be able to play SimCity years from now (when every SimCity game from the Super Nintendo version to SimCity 4 remains playable and enjoyable), listen to them. Turn away from your paranoia regarding piracy and realize that there are tons of customers who want to give you money in exchange for being able to play a game. Appreciate the value of customer loyalty and developing a community instead of squeezing every last drop out of people and discarding them.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 14:00 mag

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 00:37:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 00:19:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 23:04:
Is March Madness Brackets of the Worst Companies coming up? I think they secured 1rst place this year. Gratz.

I wonder if anyone's ever won 2 years in a row?

edit: no.

2006 - Halliburton - 2nd: Choicepoint
2007 - RIAA - 2nd: Halliburton
2008 - Countrywide Financial - 2nd: Comcast
2009 - AIG - 2nd: Comcast
2010 - Comcast - 2nd: Cash4Gold
2011 - BP - 2nd: Bank of America
2012 - Electronic Arts - 2nd: Bank of America

It'll be interesting if they win again, after everyone screamed "EA? Really?" last year...

As terrible as EA is, they are nowhere near as evil as the most evil companies. They just make their own video games terrible. It's not like they laundered almost a billion dollars of drug money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2013, 07:35 Golwar

Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:44:
Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:20:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 08:49:
Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 07:55:
Geez, gamers are really a disgrace sometimes.
There are no "gamers". There are only people. Some smart, some dumb, some eager to learn from their experience, some just staying clueless. And there are people who like nothing more than to complain about what some people have to say about other people. Like you. Having fun?

Hahaha, you mean like you and Cutter rated the comments of others just before?
I'm sorry dude, but you aren't really in the position to raise the moral finger. It was you two who had "fun" with such nonsense (first). Quite a shocker that you don't like to receive the same treatment that you dished out.

He didn't really make a moral argument or counter comparison. He could also enjoy complaining about what other people say about other people. META META META

Point still stands, you can't really generalize "gamers", especially today's gamers.

A generalization about gamers would be about as appropriate as their previous remark, that those other commenters would be "sheeple" and that they'd "get what they deserve".

Besides, I even said "sometimes", not "always", did I?
So it seems even more pointless to try to blame me that I'd generalize.
Humans are a disgrace sometimes? What could be wrong about that statement? They simply are. That doesn't include that everyone is, all the time.

27. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 00:37 nin

Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 00:19:
Is March Madness Brackets of the Worst Companies coming up? I think they secured 1rst place this year. Gratz.

It'll be interesting if they win again, after everyone screamed "EA? Really?" last year...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 00:19 Sepharo

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 00:25.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 9, 2013, 23:04 HorrorScope

24. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 19:44 Sepharo

Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 19:20:
There are no "gamers". There are only people. Some smart, some dumb, some eager to learn from their experience, some just staying clueless. And there are people who like nothing more than to complain about what some people have to say about other people. Like you. Having fun?

I'm sorry dude, but you aren't really in the position to raise the moral finger. It was you two who had "fun" with such nonsense (first). Quite a shocker that you don't like to receive the same treatment that you dished out.

He didn't really make a moral argument or counter comparison. He could also enjoy complaining about what other people say about other people. META META META

Point still stands, you can't really generalize "gamers", especially today's gamers.

23. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 19:20 Golwar

22. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 13:00 Mr. Tact

D4rkKnight wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:16:
There is only one way they can guarantee a purchase from me and many others at this point:

• Larger regions
  • Screw the larger regions, I want larger city areas. Like the size of regions.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 11:42 NKD

John Riccitiello, you have failed this city.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 10:08 Redmask

Geez, gamers are really a disgrace sometimes. And to be honest, I probably wouldn't care too much about that kind of "feedback" either.
    So people had problems with a game for some few days. Situation is improved step by step, they get a little gift. Story of the year!

P.S. I didn't buy Sim City and have no intention to do so anytime soon.

Your post is a disgrace, a not so cleverly disguised attempt to excuse the faults of the game and place the blame on the gaming community, as if words on internet forums created the situation and not EA themselves. Your crappy post ignores everything they did wrong here in a blatant attempt to do the usual gamers r so bad ranting. A little improvement step by step for a product people couldn't play for nearly a week, from a company that should have known better who has done this before, who hosted a few one hour beta tests and thought that was fine, who said they would give refunds then balked when people actually wanted them and who only responds to massive public/critical condemnation and ignores all other feedback.

Yeah I'm siding with the gamers here, whether they bought it or not.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 10:13.

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 08:49 Kajetan

18. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 07:55 Golwar

Kajetan wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 06:55:
    Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 02:27:
    God look at the comments from those sheeple.
    Let them. They get what they deserve.

Snobs.
    I see the same kind of comments there as here.

I generally have a good laugh on all those "angry" people that knew in advance that "online features" cause trouble, especially at release (of major titles), still bought the game and rage now as if all this would come unexpected.

Geez, gamers are really a disgrace sometimes. And to be honest, I probably wouldn't care too much about that kind of "feedback" either.
    So people had problems with a game for some few days. Situation is improved step by step, they get a little gift. Story of the year!

P.S. I didn't buy Sim City and have no intention to do so anytime soon.

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 06:56 Kajetan

Julio wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:09:
    Kind of funny that SimCity2000 is a top selling game on GOG right now.
    Jepp. This IS funny

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 06:55 Kajetan

God look at the comments from those sheeple.
    Let them. They get what they deserve.

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 05:27 El Pit

SW:TOR as a free game would be like showing the annoyed customers the finger! That's why I expect EA to EXACTLY do this!  
    Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 03:54 NewMaxx

God look at the comments from those sheeple. Fucking nauseating! It's no wonder evil coporations laugh all the way to the bank. Fucking breeders man. And you just know the "free game" is going to be something 10 years old. Lol!

It's more likely to be any game $20 or less in their catalog or something similar, like they had for that survey a while back. If they pick any one game it will just piss people off more, they have to give a choice, but limiting it to a time frame or similar would be too complicated. Simplest solution is across-the-board price since that accounts for time frame, popularity, perceived value, etc.

Additionally, making it only one game means a lot of people will spend less than the amount offered. For example, using my $20 hypothetical limit, there's quite a few "goodish" games for $15 that people would pick. $20 happens to be their pre-defined "sweet spot" for games so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Examples of games you could get: Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 1/2/3, Dragon Age 1/2, Mirror's Edge, Burnout Universe, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Dead Space 1/2, The Saboteur, C&C RA3, NFS Shift 1/2, C&C4, L4D2, BF BC2, SimCity 4 (ironic...this is the one exception to the "not one game" rule, since anybody buying SC 2013 is into SC), MoH, Spore/Darkspore, Bulletstorm, NFS The Run, SWTOR Deluxe, Syndicate, Batman AA, Witcher 2, Darksiders, DMC4, Empire: Total War, Splinter Cell Conviction, Dead Island GOTY, Metro 2033...I could go on, but you get my point. There's also a shit-ton of The Sims DLC for that price.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 04:07.

13. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 02:27 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 01:02:
    Free game from EA for anyone who bought SimCity.

Figured this would happen.

God look at the comments from those sheeple. Fucking nauseating! It's no wonder evil coporations laugh all the way to the bank. Fucking breeders man. And you just know the "free game" is going to be something 10 years old. Lol!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 02:00 Wowbagger_TIP

I can't see any reason to have a shred of sympathy for anyone who gave EA money for this. It's their own damn fault for being stupid. They should have directed this letter at all of those people instead.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 01:02 NegaDeath

Free game from EA for anyone who bought SimCity.

Figured this would happen.

10. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 00:20 Beamer

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:47:
    I still don't believe DRM is the focus of SimCity, it's data mining. DRM was just a nice side benefit and a good cover for all the personal habits and clicks they are mining from you.

Either this is crazy conspiracy theory or you mean in-game.
    Welp, you do know Steam does all kinds of crazy data mining and figuring out what you stare at and where you click, right? It's the most advanced in-game data mining program on the planet.

And it doesn't require a permanent connection.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo