Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused

Electronic Arts is pulling back on online marketing of SimCity as they work to get a handle on issues caused by overworked servers following the launch of the urban planning sequel, which must be played online. Though Amazon has resumed selling the downloadable version of the game after temporarily suspending sales and our bargain-hunting friends at Dealzon point the way to a $12 off offer still in effect on Gamefly, we've been forwarded the following mail from an EA/Origin online affiliate asking them to cease promoting the game for the time being:

EA Origin has requested to pause all SimCity marketing campaigns temporarily, until further notice. We have deactivated all SimCity text links and creative and we ask you to please remove any copy promoting SimCity from your website for the time-being. To be clear we are continuing to payout commissions on all SimCity sales that are referred, however we are requesting that you please stop actively promoting the game. We will notify you as soon as the SimCity marketing campaigns have been resumed and our promotional links are once again live in the Linkshare interface. We apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause, and we thank you for your cooperation.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

20. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:37 Overon

The more painful to EA and their customers, the more likely a lesson will be learned. PC gamers stop buying online DRM schemes for single player games. Vote with your wallets.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:27 Parias

This is beyond tragic - all they had to do was ship the game with an offline component and they could have avoided nearly all of this pain. Instead, they ended up with this.  

18. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:24 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:11:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:30:
I'm pretty disappointed that Amazon has started selling it again. What exactly has changed compared to yesterday, Amazon? Either you choose to knowingly sell broken product, or you don't. Make up your minds.

Creston

I pre-ordered with Amazon using a promotion. On the 1st, when the pre-load was to begin, I got an email from them stating that they would no longer be doing that. This is because EA decided not to do a pre-load and pressured the reseller into compliance. While I thought that was a dumb idea, I was cool with it. I shortly thereafter realized that my entire order was canceled! Of course, hours later, I got the email from Amazon, apologizing for it and offering me $5 credit.

So I go to pre-order again and, of course, the promotion had just conveniently expired. Basically, they forgot to leave the game off the promotion "does not apply" list or some other nonsense I'm sure they made up and used the pretext of the pre-load recension to cancel orders that used it. They suggested I call in if I had used a promotion, but I damn well knew they wouldn't give it to me retroactively since they had changed it.

So basically, Amazon tried to screw EA with the code, EA screwed Amazon with the pre-load recension, Amazon screwed me by revoking it indirectly after they got screwed, and EA screwed me by not having a pre-load and then a bucketful of server issues, all in the period of four days before and during launch. Now you have Amazon pulling the sale of the game and similar antics. This quite clearly indicates a serious problem with the gaming industry and it's a miracle the whole thing hasn't imploded yet.

That sound very unlike Amazon, to be honest. I would recommend contacting support, see what they say. Unlike EA support, it takes a few minutes to reach someone from Amazon, and the few times I've had to use them they've always been polite and helpful to the point of embarrassment.

Even so, yeah, it sounds pretty shitty.

Creston

17. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:11 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:30:
I'm pretty disappointed that Amazon has started selling it again. What exactly has changed compared to yesterday, Amazon? Either you choose to knowingly sell broken product, or you don't. Make up your minds.

Creston

I pre-ordered with Amazon using a promotion. On the 1st, when the pre-load was to begin, I got an email from them stating that they would no longer be doing that. This is because EA decided not to do a pre-load and pressured the reseller into compliance. While I thought that was a dumb idea, I was cool with it. I shortly thereafter realized that my entire order was canceled! Of course, hours later, I got the email from Amazon, apologizing for it and offering me $5 credit.

So I go to pre-order again and, of course, the promotion had just conveniently expired. Basically, they forgot to leave the game off the promotion "does not apply" list or some other nonsense I'm sure they made up and used the pretext of the pre-load recension to cancel orders that used it. They suggested I call in if I had used a promotion, but I damn well knew they wouldn't give it to me retroactively since they had changed it.

So basically, Amazon tried to screw EA with the code, EA screwed Amazon with the pre-load recension, Amazon screwed me by revoking it indirectly after they got screwed, and EA screwed me by not having a pre-load and then a bucketful of server issues, all in the period of four days before and during launch. Now you have Amazon pulling the sale of the game and similar antics. This quite clearly indicates a serious problem with the gaming industry and it's a miracle the whole thing hasn't imploded yet.

16. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:05 ochentay4

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:49:
Sad thing is, gamers are the most stupid of consumers. Despite Command&Conquer 4, Dark Spore, UbiDRM, Diablo 3, they STILL bought SimCity and it STILL behaved like all other always-online DRM, terribly. And despite SimCity now fucking up for everybody, if they announced another strong brand name but all washed up like this new SC and with always-online DRM they would all still bitch and whine and yet go buy the game.

No wonder indies have risen and are now an established alternative to publishers. It's as if the sane gamers have gone indie and the insane gamers are still only buying AAA games and nothing more.

Exactly. Gamers should be aware that buying these games, are encouraging publishers to do the same. PEOPLE: stop buying games with stupid DRM schemes like always online req. for SP games!

15. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:04 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:49:
No wonder indies have risen and are now an established alternative to publishers. It's as if the sane gamers have gone indie and the insane gamers are still only buying AAA games and nothing more.
No "if's". This is reality. Customers of indie games and consumers of majors titles are two different groups of people with only minor overlappings.

14. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:49 ASeven

Sad thing is, gamers are the most stupid of consumers. Despite Command&Conquer 4, Dark Spore, UbiDRM, Diablo 3, they STILL bought SimCity and it STILL behaved like all other always-online DRM, terribly. And despite SimCity now fucking up for everybody, if they announced another strong brand name but all washed up like this new SC and with always-online DRM they would all still bitch and whine and yet go buy the game.

13. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:47 Rattlehead

lolololololololol.....LOL

Ok, in all seriousness, I hate this happened to Sim City, since besides the connectivity issues, it's actually a good game. It's a damn shame a good series has be tarnished because ass crack publishers have to fuck it up.

I feel sorry for Maxis but not for EA.

12. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:38 Sho

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:37:
This gets better and better, like a joke that never ceases to be funny despite how long it gets told.

It's definitely hilarious how this launch seems like it was made for proving the critics right ...

11. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:37 ASeven

This gets better and better, like a joke that never ceases to be funny despite how long it gets told.

Funny how the usual EA buttlicking apologists are strangely quiet now.

10. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:36 Creston

Btw, in all seriousness, can someone who understand online advertising explain this:

To be clear we are continuing to payout commissions on all SimCity sales that are referred, however we are requesting that you please stop actively promoting the game

If they make you pull the advertising, how can you still refer people to buy SimCity? Because doesn't that work straight off a click-through? And if there's nothing to click...?

Creston

9. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:34 Creston

"Don't worry, we guarantee we'll have everything sorted before the international launch!"

"If you feel we have let you down, please contact support for a refund."

EA - bringing da TRUF!

Creston

8. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:32 Sho

Redmask wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:28:
God forbid they give the refunds they said they would or stop selling the game though. Here's your token effort community, we stopped advertising it for a week, now shut up!

Halting advertising for a week directly after launch is a huge deal. This is hurting them immensely in lost sales. It's the sort of stuff that stops money people from sleeping at night -- you can be sure EA is in emergency mode right now. This may even be unprecedented.

7. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:30 Creston

Creston

6. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:28 Redmask

God forbid they give the refunds they said they would or stop selling the game though. Here's your token effort community, we stopped advertising it for a week, now shut up!  

5. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 15:59 El Pit

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:56:
So will EA learn anything from this? Probably not.

Sure they will lEArn.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

4. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 15:56 SpectralMeat

So will EA learn anything from this? Probably not.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 15:56 Tumbler

GMG sent me an email today saying:

Hey tumbler,

As you probably guessed by the colorful picture above, SimCity is out now! So don your mayoral sash and get ready to run your very own city.
SimCity Limited Edition's availability has been extended past pre-purchase and is now available until 11th March! If you buy SimCity now, you will also get to choose either $10 GMG Credit or $7 Cash Back leaving you with more money to spend on other amazing deals on GMG!

Brood Bad timing I guess.

Well technically it is "out" (of order)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 15:54 Beamer

Well, I'll give them a modicum of credit here.

They should be shutting all digital sales off.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 15:51 Tanto Edge

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.