Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused

Electronic Arts is pulling back on online marketing of SimCity as they work to get a handle on issues caused by overworked servers following the launch of the urban planning sequel, which must be played online. Though Amazon has resumed selling the downloadable version of the game after temporarily suspending sales and our bargain-hunting friends at Dealzon point the way to a $12 off offer still in effect on Gamefly, we've been forwarded the following mail from an EA/Origin online affiliate asking them to cease promoting the game for the time being:

EA Origin has requested to pause all SimCity marketing campaigns temporarily, until further notice. We have deactivated all SimCity text links and creative and we ask you to please remove any copy promoting SimCity from your website for the time-being. To be clear we are continuing to payout commissions on all SimCity sales that are referred, however we are requesting that you please stop actively promoting the game. We will notify you as soon as the SimCity marketing campaigns have been resumed and our promotional links are once again live in the Linkshare interface. We apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause, and we thank you for your cooperation.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

40. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:04 jdreyer

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:47:
lolololololololol.....LOL

Ok, in all seriousness, I hate this happened to Sim City, since besides the connectivity issues, it's actually a good game. It's a damn shame a good series has be tarnished because ass crack publishers have to fuck it up.

I feel sorry for Maxis but not for EA.

Yeah, I feel bad for the people who put their hearts and souls into making it, even if they were forced from the get go to make it online only. From articles on the previews and betas, it seems like it's fun and well designed. If EA had thrown proper resources at this, we'd be complaining about always on, but grudgingly enjoying a decent game. Now all those software people's work is for naught, and they'll be unjustly blamed for a hardware failure.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 20:50 Redmask

Warhammer Online, Sims Online, The Old Republic, EA simply can't run online games, let alone all of their singleplayer titles as online games.  

38. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 20:49 ASeven

Things are taking a turn for the surreal now.  

37. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 20:48 ASeven

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 20:46:
ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:49:
Sad thing is, gamers are the most stupid of consumers. Despite Command&Conquer 4, Dark Spore, UbiDRM, Diablo 3, they STILL bought SimCity and it STILL behaved like all other always-online DRM, terribly. And despite SimCity now fucking up for everybody, if they announced another strong brand name but all washed up like this new SC and with always-online DRM they would all still bitch and whine and yet go buy the game.

All I'll say is this:

Of course we want pure crack, but we'll smoke it anyway even if it's cut with talc and Borax. That's just the nature of addiction.

Then it's rehab time.

36. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 20:46 jdreyer

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:49:
Sad thing is, gamers are the most stupid of consumers. Despite Command&Conquer 4, Dark Spore, UbiDRM, Diablo 3, they STILL bought SimCity and it STILL behaved like all other always-online DRM, terribly. And despite SimCity now fucking up for everybody, if they announced another strong brand name but all washed up like this new SC and with always-online DRM they would all still bitch and whine and yet go buy the game.

All I'll say is this:

Of course we want pure crack, but we'll smoke it anyway even if it's cut with talc and Borax. That's just the nature of addiction.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

35. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 20:39 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 18:13:
Edit : Like I said, your issue seemed so untypical of Amazon. They are normally plain excellent when it comes to customer service. I really urge you to get in touch with them, NewMaxx.

Creston

Don't get me wrong, I use Amazon all the time and probably still will. It's just that I usually rely on them for game pre-orders, and every time something has gone wrong (like when they didn't give the codes for DX:HR). It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother with boxes anymore because of hassles like these, especially since I could have gotten the same price at GMG with their more or less monthly codes. I understand that it largely has to do with the game publishers - I never said otherwise. I just think it underscores that how the game industry treats retailers now, like different bonuses for each one, is a symptom of a larger problem.

I ended up paying the same since I got a deal elsewhere that had no tax, so the $5 credit is bonus and I didn't press the issue. Even if I had, why should I go through the trouble when there was less than 72 hours left until game launch - it's just cutting it too close to have issues like pre-order cancellations. I'd almost HAVE to expect more problems.

P.S. they did fix my DX:HR problem...after multiple emails and so late that I had already beaten the game, and I took my bloody time, too.

34. Re: removed Mar 8, 2013, 20:22 ASeven

And some last images:

http://i.imgur.com/UShqZts.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o8AFkaH.jpg

And damn, my first ever removed post. I think. Shouldn't have quoted Slick I guess.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/8qBKNrq.png

This can't be real. Please, someone tell me this isn't real. EA can't be this dumb and insulting at the same time.

33. removed Mar 8, 2013, 20:14 ASeven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 8, 2013, 20:18.

32. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 20:13 ASeven

http://i.imgur.com/Xrzkxxo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/27e7shQ.png

31. removed Mar 8, 2013, 20:11 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 8, 2013, 20:18.

30. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 19:58 ASeven

Here is the SimCity debacle in one picture:

http://i.imgur.com/BCgEpRn.jpg

29. removed Mar 8, 2013, 19:58 ASeven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 8, 2013, 20:35.

28. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 19:55 Slick

Tom wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 19:24:
All this publicity is probably helping their sales more than it's hurting them. This game wasn't even on my radar until there were suddenly 10 stories a day about it. Now I might even buy it after things settle down. Maybe on sale someday. If people are happy with it in the long run.

it's what i've been saying.

1) ALL PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY

2) A LONG LINEUP OUTSIDE THE CLUB MAKES IT LOOK LIKE THERE'S A BIG PARTY HAPPENING INSIDE.

the launch is a huge fuckup for sure, but server issues seem to have gotten better today for me, yesterday was by far the worst. only have to try and connect 3-4 times before i'm in. game's still turbo fun, i'm finally running a profitable city. woo!

27. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 19:24 Tom

All this publicity is probably helping their sales more than it's hurting them. This game wasn't even on my radar until there were suddenly 10 stories a day about it. Now I might even buy it after things settle down. Maybe on sale someday. If people are happy with it in the long run.  

26. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 18:36 Kosumo

I bet there is a lest one EA executive around the panic table yelling

"WTF, what are you guys on about?, this is a total win, there is next to no piracy! booyeha"

25. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 18:13 Creston

Frijoles wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 18:03:
NewMaxx wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:11:
I shortly thereafter realized that my entire order was canceled! Of course, hours later, I got the email from Amazon, apologizing for it and offering me $5 credit.

Wonder if this reddit post is related. The guy who cancelled them apologized and explained it. Not sure if it's the same as your issue.

It seems to be. NewMaxx, contact Customer Service. Amazon has said they are aware of the issue, and will give you credit to match (or even increase) the discount you had from the pre-order.

I'm working on it now but CS knows to apply any promotions that were on the previous order to anyone's account who calls. Totally your call as to whether or not you want to get in touch with CS or just order through EA.

Again, so sorry man. I just asked if we could re-instate cancelled orders and the answer is no for technical reasons.

Cheers, Tony

Edit : Like I said, your issue seemed so untypical of Amazon. They are normally plain excellent when it comes to customer service. I really urge you to get in touch with them, NewMaxx.

Creston

24. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 18:03 Frijoles

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:11:
I shortly thereafter realized that my entire order was canceled! Of course, hours later, I got the email from Amazon, apologizing for it and offering me $5 credit.

Wonder if this reddit post is related. The guy who cancelled them apologized and explained it. Not sure if it's the same as your issue.

23. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:46 theyarecomingforyou

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:44:
I mean, what the fuck. After A:CM and Sim City we're beyond parody.
The only thing that could top it would be a surprise sequel to RAGE!

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:45 theyarecomingforyou

I'm Mr Schadenfreude. Keep up the good work EA. Guitarist  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:44 Mad Max RW

2013 is shaping up to be the best year ever for "AAA" video games!

I mean, what the fuck. After A:CM and Sim City we're beyond parody.

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo