Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused

Electronic Arts is pulling back on online marketing of SimCity as they work to get a handle on issues caused by overworked servers following the launch of the urban planning sequel, which must be played online. Though Amazon has resumed selling the downloadable version of the game after temporarily suspending sales and our bargain-hunting friends at Dealzon point the way to a $12 off offer still in effect on Gamefly, we've been forwarded the following mail from an EA/Origin online affiliate asking them to cease promoting the game for the time being:

EA Origin has requested to pause all SimCity marketing campaigns temporarily, until further notice. We have deactivated all SimCity text links and creative and we ask you to please remove any copy promoting SimCity from your website for the time-being. To be clear we are continuing to payout commissions on all SimCity sales that are referred, however we are requesting that you please stop actively promoting the game. We will notify you as soon as the SimCity marketing campaigns have been resumed and our promotional links are once again live in the Linkshare interface. We apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause, and we thank you for your cooperation.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 9, 2013, 13:05 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 09:41:
I just don't know why they need a massive amount of the game to stream from their servers, which is something I didn't realize since I didn't follow the dev cycle of this game aside from watching maybe 1 trailer. There's no reason a Simcity game of all things needs that much reliance on a internet connection.
Because of DRM? They want something someone can't easily just patch out to play offline, so they leave a lot of the simulation on the game server end.

Also, it lets a wider range of people play the game, like using onlive or similar.

Perhaps thats why they didn't do larger cities, they weren't afraid of PC users not being able to run it, they were afraid their servers would crash and burn!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 9, 2013, 10:56 Redmask

Rhino wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 23:49:
Redmask wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 23:45:
It'll probably be from a list of $5 EA games. I'd like to be less cynical but this is the company that said they would give refunds then did exactly the opposite. You can't trust them with anything anymore after this disaster.

Or something else that has Sim in it. Sims 3, Sims Medieval, MySims, etc. Especially Sims 3, in the hopes that it would lead to other purchases. 'Enjoy this free title as our way of saying 'thank you for your patience.' And if you enjoy it then you can also buy the expansion packs, stuff packs, Simpoints that can be used towards items from the Sim Store....'

Of course, please buy Sims 3 and $100 of DLC thanks gamers for your patience in this minor outage snort snort. The EA Way.

58. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 9, 2013, 09:41 RollinThundr

It'll probably be from a list of $5 EA games. I'd like to be less cynical but this is the company that said they would give refunds then did exactly the opposite. You can't trust them with anything anymore after this disaster.

Usually when they do this, it's older titles like you suggest. There's prolly a decent city building game buried under the shitty always on DRM, it's a shame EA has been absolutely inept with launching this game.

I just don't know why they need a massive amount of the game to stream from their servers, which is something I didn't realize since I didn't follow the dev cycle of this game aside from watching maybe 1 trailer. There's no reason a Simcity game of all things needs that much reliance on a internet connection.

57. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:49 Rhino

Or something else that has Sim in it. Sims 3, Sims Medieval, MySims, etc. Especially Sims 3, in the hopes that it would lead to other purchases. 'Enjoy this free title as our way of saying 'thank you for your patience.' And if you enjoy it then you can also buy the expansion packs, stuff packs, Simpoints that can be used towards items from the Sim Store....'

56. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:45 Redmask

55. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:35 Rhino

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 23:21:
From the "Something For Your Trouble" update linked below. (Thanks for linking, btw!)

More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb

No shit?

Anyway, it obviously heavily depends on the free game (Download Medal of Honor:Warfighter now! For Free! Please? Anyone?), but that's still a nice move. About the least they can do for all the poor fools that still bought this 'game', but hey, it's something.

Creston

Also from that link: "I know that's a little contrived – kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy."

One person's 'contrived' is another person's 'Well, it's a start. Now let's hear some grovelling!'

54. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:33 Mr. Tact

Even if the on-line issues were non-existent, the limited size of the cities is a fundamental problem. It might be acceptable if you could have cities "running" in the background while you worked on another city in the region but that isn't the case.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

53. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:26 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 23:24:
The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game.

Well that's certainly open for debate...

If you ignore all the reviews that say that it's fundamentally broken (not even considering the always-on DRM), then you can say that the consensus is that it's not broken.

Creston

52. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:24 nin

The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game.

Well that's certainly open for debate...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

51. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:21 Creston

From the "Something For Your Trouble" update linked below. (Thanks for linking, btw!)

More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb

No shit?

Anyway, it obviously heavily depends on the free game (Download Medal of Honor:Warfighter now! For Free! Please? Anyone?), but that's still a nice move. About the least they can do for all the poor fools that still bought this 'game', but hey, it's something.

Creston

50. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:16 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 22:01:
LOL at "open port 80"...

It's perfectly safe! Also, to ensure that we can sell your data optimize our game for your benefit, please reply with the following information:

Your Full Name
Date of Birth
Current Address
Social Security Number
Credit Card Numbers
Bank Account Number

and a copy of your last paystub. Thank you. Remember, here at EA, it's Customers First.

Creston

49. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 23:15 Rhino

Something For Your Trouble

"And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game."

Yes, it seems silly to mock them when they are trying to do... something to compensate people; but frankly this just screams "please stop asking for refunds... be a pal, would ya?"

Edit: Holy nuts, four tries before I managed to spell "trouble" correctly WITH a spell check turned on? Yeesh, I need some sleep.

48. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 22:31 fujiJuice

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 22:01:
LOL at "open port 80"...

Next we will see, "Defrag your hard drive."

47. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 22:01 nin

LOL at "open port 80"...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 22:00 Mr. Tact

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 20:49:
Things are taking a turn for the surreal now.
Amusing, but meaningless -- even if you assume it is true. As already stated in this topic, the corporate idiots believe there is no such thing as bad publicity. If gaming consumers were paying any attention, the game wouldn't have sold as well as it has. I played the hell out of the original and 2000, and a bit of SC4, but this one looked like a loser from the start. Everything that has happened since release is just further confirmation.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

45. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:48 Creston

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 20:49:
Things are taking a turn for the surreal now.

Holy shit that is hilarious. EA has "Think Consumers First" in their company values? Electronic Fucking Arts????

What, do the company values have a little note at the bottom that says last updated, December 12th 1992 or something?

Oh EA, you are a never-ending source of headshakes.

Creston

44. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:39 Redmask

It's really sad but I think Tropico 4 is a better SimCity than SimCity is.  

43. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:25 Dev

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:47:
I feel sorry for Maxis but not for EA.
Maxis is LOOOONNNNGGG gone, many years ago. EA basically just kept their branding.

42. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:09 jdreyer

One thing I DO NOT understand is why people bother to preorder for a digital game. The reason to preorder was to get your box on day one. Not preordering meant risking not having a game to play. With digital games, you can make unlimited numbers of copies available instantly, so there is not shortage. So, why do people still preorder?  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

41. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 21:07 jdreyer

Kajetan wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:04:
ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:49:
No wonder indies have risen and are now an established alternative to publishers. It's as if the sane gamers have gone indie and the insane gamers are still only buying AAA games and nothing more.
No "if's". This is reality. Customers of indie games and consumers of majors titles are two different groups of people with only minor overlappings.
I'm not sure that's true. Do you have any data? All the people I know play both, from my older brother down to my 14 year old nephew. I don't know one person who ignores indies in favor of AAA games or vice versa.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo