Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer

This Kickstarter update for Shadowrun Returns offers a first look trailer with alpha gameplay footage from Harebrained Schemes' upcoming 2D turn-based RPG revival. Here's word on the clip, which runs nearly 20 minutes: "Remember as you watch the video that all the environments, conversations, and tactical situations you see were created using the Shadowrun Returns Editor - the same editor that will ship with the game on OSX and Windows. For us, re-energizing Shadowrun doesn’t just mean making a game for you to play and enjoy (although that sounds GREAT). It means creating a set of tools for YOU to experiment with, express yourself with, and share."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2013, 13:47 nin

VoodooV wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 12:35:
As far as I can tell, I can't make a donation through Kickstarter anymore, but is there any way to still contribute to the game?

You can preorder here, if you like. But backer rewards are closed, as far as I know. But at least you'd know the money is going directly to the devs.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2013, 12:35 VoodooV

As far as I can tell, I can't make a donation through Kickstarter anymore, but is there any way to still contribute to the game?  

38. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 20:53 Dev

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 16:48:
Yeah they're so dead to big publishers that Firaxis had a hit with one at the end of last year. A little game called X-Com. The idea that gamers don't want to play this style of game is an assertion that needs to die, as it has been shown to be false over and over again. It's as silly as the notion that "PC gaming is dead", that many industry insiders were telling everyone just 2 years ago.
There's this little thing called semantics. The part where x-com is NOT an RPG.
I thought of x-com before I replied and my reply was addressed to his specific wording.

And I never said gamers don't want to play. I implied but I'll state more clearly outright, the number of gamers that DO want to play them are beneath the big publishers notice.

Thats why I'm very glad kickstarter is filling in those gaps, letting those games get made.

Also, "PC gaming is dead" has been said for 10 or more years. I'd say PC gaming is experiencing a resurgence. A large part of the movement is due to indies and the digital PC marketplace valve did with steam. And now, more recently, kickstarter and similar crowdfunding projects.

And while the percentage of PC owners being gamers might be smaller, the absolute numbers are still very significant, and way way larger than the classic gaming days like fallout 1. And often PC gaming revenue categories on the big publishers are fairly close to any other one platform, even a console platform.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 20:58.

37. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 16:48 Beelzebud

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 13:23:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:50:
It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

I wish the kickstarter phenomena had happened before that incident.

Well, to the big publishers, they ARE dead, and are still dead. Anything less than multi-million copy sellers are pretty much dead to them. (as a side note Fallout 3 wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it became without beth making it as a FPS)

Fortunately, we are now getting other alternatives like wasteland 2.

Thats one of the best things about KS. Not that they are replacing publishers (although I wouldn't care if they did), but that they are allowing a lot of projects that have a lower level of demand than multi-million copies get made. Projects that publishers sneer at and pass up, yet there IS demand out there for them. Thousands or a few millions of dollars of demand. Demand that can now find an outlet.

Yeah they're so dead to big publishers that Firaxis had a hit with one at the end of last year. A little game called X-Com. The idea that gamers don't want to play this style of game is an assertion that needs to die, as it has been shown to be false over and over again. It's as silly as the notion that "PC gaming is dead", that many industry insiders were telling everyone just 2 years ago.

36. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 13:23 Dev

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:50:
It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

Well, to the big publishers, they ARE dead, and are still dead. Anything less than multi-million copy sellers are pretty much dead to them. (as a side note Fallout 3 wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it became without beth making it as a FPS)

Fortunately, we are now getting other alternatives like wasteland 2.

Thats one of the best things about KS. Not that they are replacing publishers (although I wouldn't care if they did), but that they are allowing a lot of projects that have a lower level of demand than multi-million copies get made. Projects that publishers sneer at and pass up, yet there IS demand out there for them. Thousands or a few millions of dollars of demand. Demand that can now find an outlet.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 13:37.

35. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 12:50 Beelzebud

34. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 11:57 nin

Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 08:02:
I'm very satisfied with what I've seen from Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns so far. I wouldn't hesitate one second to support them once more.

I agree - Shadowrun looks pretty much EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. I can't wait to play this, and I'm now glad I gave them as much as I did.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 12:55.

33. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 08:54 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 22:43:
Flatline wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 19:28:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:42:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

It would be boring without combat but it's another thing when that's the main focus. And the dialogue seems to be very Bioware...so far. Limited G/N/E, one or two sentence conversations because god forbid anyone should have to read some real dialogue. So far I'm not impressed. The saving grace *may* be the editor. However, that all depends on how difficult it is to use and the amount of assets involved.

Wow. You're seriously judging an entire game based off of a 20 minute alpha clip of a side mission. Why aren't you playing the stock market with that kind of predictive skill?

Tell ya what. If you don't like the dialogue in the mission... write your own fucking mission. That's what the mission editor will be for. The damn thing is drag & drop. You can finally show us how the game *should* be.

Clearly you didn't watch the same clip I did. Nor have you obviously ever played a real (C)RPG.

Says the guy who gives full judgement on a game's alpha of all things. Quick everyone we should all hail Cutter, he can see the future knows what a finished product will play like by watching a 20 min clip of alpha footage.

Tool.

32. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 08:02 Golwar

I'm very satisfied with what I've seen from Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns so far. I wouldn't hesitate one second to support them once more.  

31. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 02:40 saluk

Buh, people are complaining about this? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but wtf. This is a side mission focusing on combat because 1) that's what they've been working on the most and 2) they didn't want to spoil anything. Not to mention it looked like the guy playing really likes violence. In no way does that imply that that's going to be the only way to do things. Besides the fact that most crpgs throughout history do tend to lean a bit (or a lot) heavier on combat than the pnp version. There are a lot of neat things in here that I wasn't really expecting to see, leylines, the abomination, sneaking the drone through the vent, etc. It's the first video we've seen, it's going to be cool to see what more they do. The combat is a lot better than the snes game  

30. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 22:51 Jerykk

People complaining about it being combat focused should be more concerned about the complete lack of depth to the gameplay outside of combat.

So... you're basing this assumption off a 20 minute demo that was clearly focused on combat? Bit premature to be judging the non-combat gameplay when you've seen so little of it.

I'd be interested in seeing a non-combat version of the playthrough (or at least a playthrough where combat is avoided whenever possible).

29. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 22:43 Cutter

Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

It would be boring without combat but it's another thing when that's the main focus. And the dialogue seems to be very Bioware...so far. Limited G/N/E, one or two sentence conversations because god forbid anyone should have to read some real dialogue. So far I'm not impressed. The saving grace *may* be the editor. However, that all depends on how difficult it is to use and the amount of assets involved.

Wow. You're seriously judging an entire game based off of a 20 minute alpha clip of a side mission. Why aren't you playing the stock market with that kind of predictive skill?

Tell ya what. If you don't like the dialogue in the mission... write your own fucking mission. That's what the mission editor will be for. The damn thing is drag & drop. You can finally show us how the game *should* be.

Clearly you didn't watch the same clip I did. Nor have you obviously ever played a real (C)RPG.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

28. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 20:50 Tanto Edge

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:33:
Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:30:
Half a million dollars, and they're just reskinning XCOM.

How else do you expect turn-based combat to work? This is how turn-based combat has worked since the dawn of... turn-based combat.

Creston

I expect it to work using SR mechanics?

I don't expect:
new abilities with an arcade flavour (seriously, wtf is with full auto?)
spell drain replaced with cool down
health monitors replaced with hitpoints

No. I will not be making any comparisons between a post apocalyptic role playing game with multiple tiers of conversation, morales and paths to a futuristic tactical strategy title.
I will however be drawing a large coincidental line from a futuristic tactical strategy shooter title, to another futuristic tactical strategy shooter title that recently did really really well on the market.

Also, at 6:14 the developer calls it Overwatch. So there's that.
http://youtu.be/9MiMjQwd2VE?t=6m13s

Oh god... right... 2 mill.. *vomits*

People complaining about it being combat focused should be more concerned about the complete lack of depth to the gameplay outside of combat.

It's going to be a decent game, I'm sure, but frankly I'm not impressed.
There are cool elements, the graphics are sweet, and the concept of an editor is also cool. I also love the music which is all paying homage to the SNES Shadowrun (seriously, listen closely).
Great little tactical shooter. Two million dollar Shadowrun? Meh. The curse of Gitelman reigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

27. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 20:05 Dmitri_M

Cutter does not possessive the creativity or the imagination for anything beyond snark. A mission editor is wasted on him.

26. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 19:29 Flatline

Just wait... runners will have to launch Battleites to avoid getting double crossed by Johnsons.

Congratulations everyone, you just funded Mitch Gitelman 2.0

I'm out.

*kicks garbage can next to exit, dramatically dumping nothing*

Buh-bye!!!

PS: It's more like 1.8 million, not half a million.

25. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 19:28 Flatline

24. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 19:17 Agent.X7

mmmmmm. My store helped fund this. We have a banner on our FB page. Cannot wait to play this. Very excited.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 18:21 ASeven

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:33:

How else do you expect turn-based combat to work? This is how turn-based combat has worked since the dawn of... turn-based combat.

Honestly. It's as if they never played a game before 2000. This is how many games back then resolved combat, turn-based. Even mighty Fallout.

Shit, next we'll have people saying Fallout 1 and 2 are just reskinned XCOM by the looks of it.

22. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 18:18 nin

Ok, cranked this up at home - looks AWESOME!

21. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 17:33 Creston

Creston

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo