Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer

This Kickstarter update for Shadowrun Returns offers a first look trailer with alpha gameplay footage from Harebrained Schemes' upcoming 2D turn-based RPG revival. Here's word on the clip, which runs nearly 20 minutes: "Remember as you watch the video that all the environments, conversations, and tactical situations you see were created using the Shadowrun Returns Editor - the same editor that will ship with the game on OSX and Windows. For us, re-energizing Shadowrun doesn’t just mean making a game for you to play and enjoy (although that sounds GREAT). It means creating a set of tools for YOU to experiment with, express yourself with, and share."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 17:30 Tanto Edge

Half a million dollars, and they're just reskinning XCOM.
Just wait... runners will have to launch Battleites to avoid getting double crossed by Johnsons.

Congratulations everyone, you just funded Mitch Gitelman 2.0

I'm out.

*kicks garbage can next to exit, dramatically dumping nothing*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 17:18 Creston

Finally found some time to watch it. I though it was very cool, looks like it'll be very fun.

However, two things:

1) Disappearing corpses. Come on, this is the PC. How much performance would it take to keep corpses around? 0.00000004%?

2) Hitpoints. ARGH. The whole thing about Shadowrun has always been that it's dangerous. A simple ganger with a pistol is easily capable of one-shot killing you.

Now we have hitpoints and guys are taking three shotgun blasts to the face from point blank, whereas in SR, a PB shotgun blast is simply FATAL.

Not happy about that... (Edit: On second viewing, it is somewhat mitigated by everyone having 3 actions. 3 shots at an NPC will nearly kill or outright kill him if they all hit, so that's at least something.)

On the flipside, I thought it was awesome that they summoned the Abomination spirit, it broke free (ugh, normally that's Bye-Bye Team!) and then the Basilisk is like "hey, that's an enemy!"

Most games treat the broken-free spirit simply as "Enemy of Player Therefore Friend of Enemy AI", but here it's on its own. Awesome.

Spell effects need some work, but this is alpha so I'm sure those will be worked on.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 17:46.

18. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 16:42 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

It would be boring without combat but it's another thing when that's the main focus. And the dialogue seems to be very Bioware...so far. Limited G/N/E, one or two sentence conversations because god forbid anyone should have to read some real dialogue. So far I'm not impressed. The saving grace *may* be the editor. However, that all depends on how difficult it is to use and the amount of assets involved.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 16:40 ASeven

Wasteland 2, this one, possibly Project Eternity, Dead State, Planetary Annihilation, Grim Dawn, Maia, War for the Overworld, etc etc etc

Oh my, this year is going to be a very special year for PC gaming. All from kickstarter as well.

16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 15:40 Graham

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:39:
Wooooooooooooooooooo... *deep breath* ooooooooooooooooooooT!

Creston

I couldn't agree more. I got an email from the team through Kickstarter giving people the opportunity to bump their pledge up. I'm gonna send them another $150 this afternoon to voice how pleased I am.

15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 15:35 JoeNapalm

I'm a huge Shadowrun fan, and this looks great.

This and Cyberpunk2077 are going to be interesting to see. So hard to capture the depth of PnP gameplay in a PC game.

14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 15:31 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:57 Creston

NKD wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:51:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:35:
Btw, NKD, don't know how long you've had this as your sig:

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

but bravo. Very succinct and well-put.

Creston

Probably a year and a half or so. But really it's the only way to make changes. Beancounters love the data they get from preorders and sales about what people want. They don't love vague hard to quantify forum complaints. Forums are really for specific game issues that can be easily resolved. Not for voicing your discontent with the whole game in general. At that point it's too late for that because you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

At least that's my thinking on the matter.

I guess that shows how often I read sigs...

But I agree. Not buying (and especially not pre-ordering) games is the only way to make a publisher take notice.

Well, that or just ignoring publishers altogether and playing crowdsourced games. I'm heavily leaning in that direction myself, with maybe one or two exceptions a year for REALLY cool AAA games. (think the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls.)

Creston

12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:51 NKD

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:35:

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

Creston

Probably a year and a half or so. But really it's the only way to make changes. Beancounters love the data they get from preorders and sales about what people want. They don't love vague hard to quantify forum complaints. Forums are really for specific game issues that can be easily resolved. Not for voicing your discontent with the whole game in general. At that point it's too late for that because you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

At least that's my thinking on the matter.

11. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:36 Mangrove

Looking good, now they just need to throw in some TF2 style exploding gibs and blood spatter  

10. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:35 Creston

Creston

9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:34 Creston

I don't think the character direction is the way I would have taken it, but as long as it identifies my Troll Streetsam from my Tir Na Nog Fairy Decker, the graphics are secondary to me.

I care about the depth of the turnbased combat simulation. If this is true Shadowrun, I will play this for years and years and years. I may even dust off my old DM'ing skills and make some stand-alone adventures based on an old Shadowrun campaign I used to run.

I'm REALLLLLLLY excited for this. I can't wait to play it.

Creston

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:24 vrok

I agree that it could look darker, grittier and less cartoony, but damn, I'm pretty hyped right now. Second best $15 I've ever spent.

(Yes, I'm cheap and poor)

7. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:22 NKD

Shut up and take my nuyen! Oh wait, already gave them.  

6. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:12 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 13:06 Dmitri_M

looks fantastic  

4. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 12:39 Creston

Wooooooooooooooooooo... *deep breath* ooooooooooooooooooooT!

Creston

3. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 12:24 nin

I can't exactly full screen it at work, but it looks fantastic! Exactly what I was hoping it would be. Sooooooo excited!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 12:18 saluk

The gameplay is looking really tight so far. The art as well has really come together too, I like the painted look. It really brings me back to my HS shadowrunning days  

1. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 12:17 DeadlyAccurate

Looks cool. I'm so happy to see non-medieval fantasy RPGs, and I love a nice-looking 2D isometric game.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo