Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

The countdown is up on Lord British Presents, and the site is currently livestreaming a Special RoosterTeeth Podcast from SXSW where Richard "Lord British" Garriott introduces his next gaming project: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, a new RPG harkening back to his seminal Ultima games which will also adhere to some of the tenets he set out a few years ago on Facebook asking "What is a Lord British 'Ultimate' Role Playing Game?" The Kickstarter Campaign for the game is now live, seeking one million dollars to finance its development. The Shroud of the Avatar website is live with forums, a FAQ explaining why this is coming to PC, how it relates to Ultima, and how to influence development. Here's the overview offered on the Kickstarter:

With Shroud of the Avatar, Richard and his team will again reinvent the classic fantasy role-playing experience. Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier. The world is full of opportunities and challenges!

The familiar psychological profiling used to create your character, organically derived game-play responses to player behavior and fundamental virtues and consequence of actions will all play a huge role in Shroud of the Avatar. Players will be free to choose their path, but must then live with the consequences of their actions.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

17. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:32 Frijoles

The singleplayer/multiplayer sounds interesting. Sounds more like co-op, but the shops and such can be owned by players. Those show up in your game, but not the players. I like that. Give me the commerce and services/crafting of everyone, but limit my game to only those I want to play with.

I'm in also. That sounds really interesting, and I love RPGs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:31 jdreyer

He should have held off on this announcement for a month, given the collective orgasm everyone had over Torment.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:27 sauron

This looks to me like a UO reboot, playable solo if preferred. Not biting.  

Kittens!

14. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:15 ASeven

Hmm, I wanted a new Ultima but my points against this project have been exposed quite well by Creston.

Also, I am now having second thoughts on Civitas. Upon further review I think Civitas might be a scam and I'm not the only one thinking that.

13. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:00 Creston

Also...

What happens if you donít raise enough money?

We feel confident that, with your help, we will reach our goals! In the unfortunate case that we donít raise the money via Kickstarter, we would likely have to go from ďindieĒ development to working with a major publisher, who would probably not be as open to what I, Lord British, and YOU, our fans have envisioned for the game.

So, there IS publisher interest in this game, then? How come now all of a sudden there is interest in an "ultima-style" RPG? Something smells fishy.

I'm beginning to think RG just wants a slice of the Kickstarter pie so he can jerk off in space again.

Creston

12. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:46 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:37:
Did I mention I'm seriously pumped about the Shadowrun alpha footage?

I am SOOOOOOOO going to play the shit out of Shadowrun when it's out. My team of PhysAdepts is ready to go!

Creston

11. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:44 RaZ0r!

LB says in the live stream that the game is being designed as a classic numeral Ultima release first, and then if you want you can add friends in as multiplayer.

The preview of moving on the classic overhead map, and then going into a town was pretty cool stuff.

I'm in

10. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:43 Creston

Also, this is a multiplayer game. I guess RG wants to see if he can mimic EA.

Pass. Nobody wants a fucking multiplayer rpg, Garriot. Well, I guess the SimCity crowd might.

Creston

9. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:41 ASeven

Have I mentioned this could be the next FTL?  

8. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:39 fujiJuice

/*redacted*/

This comment was edited on May 31, 2013, 12:44.

7. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:37 nin

Did I mention I'm seriously pumped about the Shadowrun alpha footage?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:36 Drayth

Looks like I'm going to be playing every series I grew up with till the end... (not necessarily complaining)

edit - After reading the below comments and looking more into the game, I'm going to change this to Looks like all the series I grew up with will be around...

on the fence too

5. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:35 nin

From the FAQ:

Though Shroud of the Avatar wonít be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

I guess I was hoping for a strong SP experience. The KS page describes it as:
Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Think I'll hold off, for now...

4. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:33 El Pit

I'm really on the fence for this one. On the one hand, it's Ultima, on the other hand, this looks like it could take either longer than Duke Nukem 4ever (and be as "great" as that one) or even run out of money and go nowhere. Hm...  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

3. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 Dev

Yeah, he should have tons of money from ultima still kicking around.
My quick look at the KS didn't show anything where he convinced as to why he needed the money.

Be aware though, that the most valuable properties are available to very limited number of players and will likely be in high demand! (Only a few dozen City homes will be available to players in-game.)

Once a house is purchased, players will need to pay regular taxes on it of course. But as a special thank you to select Kickstarter supporters, all housing obtained by making a Kickstarter pledge of Citizen, Lord, Baron, Duke or Lord of the Manor will be tax free for life!
Citizen is a "mere" $500. And although only a few "dozen" will be avail, there's 400+ on kickstarter rewards.
Yeah, that sounds to me like its going to be a pay 2 win MMORPG type game. And/or a subscription game. Nothing much stands out about the game from the quick look I took at the KS. The timing kinda sucks since its at the same time as torment kickstarter, I know he planned this ahead of time, but still not good timing. Also I was never a big fan of ultima back in the day.

Pass

2. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:25 Creston

On the one hand, I'm glad RG is going back to what made him great.

On the other hand, RG, you don't have this one million bucks to cough up yourself?? You went to fucking SPACE for 25 million bucks. Now you need me to finance your game?

I'm undoubtedly the biggest Ultima fan there is (I will gladly take on all challengers!) but I dunno.

Creston

1. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 11:16 nin

Kinda on the fence. I know it's alpha and I shouldn't judge it harshly, but the 3rd person over the shoulder didn't do much for me...

Gonna take a wait and see approach...I doubt he'll have issues with funding. At least I hope not.

edit: Also love to know what Blue thinks of these KS, and if he's funded any...

seeking one million dollars to finance its development

Nice one, Blue.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 11:22.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo