Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

The countdown is up on Lord British Presents, and the site is currently livestreaming a Special RoosterTeeth Podcast from SXSW where Richard "Lord British" Garriott introduces his next gaming project: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, a new RPG harkening back to his seminal Ultima games which will also adhere to some of the tenets he set out a few years ago on Facebook asking "What is a Lord British 'Ultimate' Role Playing Game?" The Kickstarter Campaign for the game is now live, seeking one million dollars to finance its development. The Shroud of the Avatar website is live with forums, a FAQ explaining why this is coming to PC, how it relates to Ultima, and how to influence development. Here's the overview offered on the Kickstarter:

With Shroud of the Avatar, Richard and his team will again reinvent the classic fantasy role-playing experience. Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier. The world is full of opportunities and challenges!

The familiar psychological profiling used to create your character, organically derived game-play responses to player behavior and fundamental virtues and consequence of actions will all play a huge role in Shroud of the Avatar. Players will be free to choose their path, but must then live with the consequences of their actions.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

37. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:07 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:25:
On the other hand, RG, you don't have this one million bucks to cough up yourself??
My exact thought upon seeing this KS.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:00 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:53:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:43:
Also, this is a multiplayer game. I guess RG wants to see if he can mimic EA.

Pass. Nobody wants a fucking multiplayer rpg, Garriot. Well, I guess the SimCity crowd might.

Really? BG 1&2, considered by many to be among the best RPGs of all time had multiplayer.

Did you ever try them? I mean, seriously? It was so broken as to be laughable. My buddy and I had planned to play all of BG2 in coop, even created characters that would work well together and cover several necessary areas.

We never even managed to get out of the first dungeon without de-synching.

Having multiplayer in an RPG isn't an automatic bad thing unless it's mandatory multiplayer. Since you can play this single player and offline, that's not the case here, so I'm not sure why this would be a negative.

He is banking on his fame from having made Ultima on funding this. He even flatout says "I can't call it Ultima, because EA owns that, but I'm basically making another Ultima."

None of the Ultimas were multiplayer, and I'm pretty sure none of the Ultima fans who want another Ultima want multiplayer in their Ultima.

Because that would make it Ultima Online.

Creston

35. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:59 Acleacius

The whole one million, plus the pay to win feel doesn't fly with me, passing.

All hail Torment! Allthumbsup

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

34. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:58 Blackhawk

So the guy has money. He isn't asking for charity, he's asking for investment. Lots of the people on Kickstarter could probably finance out of their own pockets if they wanted to, as could many traditional business start-ups that seek financial backers. That doesn't mean it is a good idea.

In any case, while Garriott has a good history, way back when, his recent efforts have been lackluster. He hasn't made a decent single player game in nearly 20 years, and that's what the people investing in this would be most interested in.

33. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:53 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:43:
Also, this is a multiplayer game. I guess RG wants to see if he can mimic EA.

Pass. Nobody wants a fucking multiplayer rpg, Garriot. Well, I guess the SimCity crowd might.

Really? BG 1&2, considered by many to be among the best RPGs of all time had multiplayer. Both the NWN games had multiplayer. Having multiplayer in an RPG isn't an automatic bad thing unless it's mandatory multiplayer. Since you can play this single player and offline, that's not the case here, so I'm not sure why this would be a negative.

32. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:42 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

RG is a nice guy, but that has little to do with funding his endeavors. I don't know that anyone is hating, I think it's legitimate question to ask "You can easily afford to publish this yourself. Why do you need Kickstarter money?"

Of course, the beauty of the Kickstarter system is that if you feel his project shouldn't be on Kickstarter, you simply don't give to it. And if others feel he's perfectly entitled to ask for money on Kickstarter, they can show that by giving him money.

As for U8 and U9, U8 really wasn't as bad as people later made it out to be. It was terrible at the start because of the idiotic jumping puzzles, because you had no control over the length of your jump. The Avatar always jumped a set distance, and many of the puzzles weren't calibrated for that distance, which made them a fucking nightmare to deal with.

Fortunately, back then Origin still listened to their fans, so when several of them (me included) suggested they change the system to one where you mouse-aim-and-click to jump, they implemented that in a later patch.

The world itself was pretty cool, the graphics were beautiful for their time, the animation was great, the story was intriguing, and the magic systems were incredible. Which other RPG ever included four separate magic systems that worked so well?

Once Origin spent an hour on a US-Holland international call to help me get the game to actually run, I thoroughly enjoyed playing U8 (though weirdly, I never replayed it.)

Now U9 was fucking terrible, but as I've said before, that's what happens when EA puts the producer of Command & Conquer in charge of an Ultima RPG. And really, Origin was well on its way to death by that point. I don't even know if they'd have survived had U9 been the best of all Ultimas ever made.

Creston

31. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:21 vrok

Honestly it looks like crap, even if we be fair and compare it to other alpha kickstarters like WL2 and Shadowrun. And he's a freaking millionaire. And it's some sort of multiplayer thingy. No thanks. Use your own money, you've already wasted plenty on stupid things.  

30. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:19 Mad Max RW

Is there an explanation why he needs people to give him $1 million when he paid $20 million to go to space and $10 million to see the Titanic?  

29. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:12 Silicon Avatar

Garriot's a nerd's nerd and pretty nice to boot.

I met him at E3 a couple times.

There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

28. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:12 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:57:
http://sota.ultimacodex.com/interview-with-richard-garriott/

This interview explains a little more about what Shroud of the Avatar is going for.

Cool, thanks for linking.

Creston

27. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:07 NKD

Fuck it, I'll give LB some cash.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

26. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:58 Cutter

Noooope. Online game, PvP, looks like ass, no real details. And it's tiered for the base game - which I despise - and it goes from $25 - too much as it is - straight to $40?! Lol, smoke some more crack, Garriot. And yes, same reason as I'm not backing the new Torment, he can afford to do this on his own and chooses not to. He doesn't need dime one from me so he isn't getting it. KS isn't - or shouldn't be - a platform for multi-millionaires who simply don't want to assume any financial risk. It's for people who actually need money for ideas FFS!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:57 Silicon Avatar

http://sota.ultimacodex.com/interview-with-richard-garriott/

This interview explains a little more about what Shroud of the Avatar is going for.

24. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:56 Creston

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:15:
Hmm, I wanted a new Ultima but my points against this project have been exposed quite well by Creston.

Also, I am now having second thoughts on Civitas. Upon further review I think Civitas might be a scam and I'm not the only one thinking that.

Yeah, I have to admit that I've felt a little warning signal going off in my mind when I look at Civitas.

I hope I'm wrong, and I have a reminder on the page so I'll have another look 2 days before it's set to expire. But so far it does seem a bit iffy. And again, I see no way you can make a game of this kind with $250K, especially not if you're going to be releasing all these mod tools.

Creston

23. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:54 Creston

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:37:
XCOM Mini?

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:46:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:37:
Did I mention I'm seriously pumped about the Shadowrun alpha footage?

I am SOOOOOOOO going to play the shit out of Shadowrun when it's out. My team of PhysAdepts is ready to go!

Creston

More like Xcom^2. Just the sheer range of powers and options you have with street sams, adepts, mages, riggers, deckers is incredible.

Does anyone know if they made any announcement with regards to Initiation?

Creston

22. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:45 jdreyer

Wow, someone actually pledged at the $3000 level.

I dunno, I have great memories about Ulitma III, IV, V, VI. Those were great games, and I appreciate what he's trying to do here. I'll wait until he posts a few updates before I decide.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:44 Silicon Avatar

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:44:
LB says in the live stream that the game is being designed as a classic numeral Ultima release first, and then if you want you can add friends in as multiplayer.

The preview of moving on the classic overhead map, and then going into a town was pretty cool stuff.

I'm in

That's what I heard too. It sounds more like a regular single-player Ultima game with optional multiplayer benefits.

I'm in for $25. If it gets more awesome I'll bump it up more.

I wish there was a $60-$75 tier that included a cloth map and box.

20. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:42 Tanto Edge

Oh and I'd like to congratulate us, the Bluesnews audience (cynical yet hopeful folks that we are) for calling this Lord British announcement well in advance.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

19. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:37 Tanto Edge

XCOM Mini?

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:46:
nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:37:
Did I mention I'm seriously pumped about the Shadowrun alpha footage?

I am SOOOOOOOO going to play the shit out of Shadowrun when it's out. My team of PhysAdepts is ready to go!

Creston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

18. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:35 JediPunisher

I'm a huge Ultima fan... I've played them all multiple times, including the spin-offs. But I hated UO (I was a beta tester)... MMOs are not for me. Unfortunately, Shroud of the Avatar sounds like more of an MMO that is playable offline, but details are still lacking.

Nevertheless, I'm in at $25... If I find that it's more of a SP game that can be played online, then I'll bump it to $150.

BTW, where are the boxes? Game discs? Looks like it's all digital. That's NOT what collectors want, and Richard should know that. I'm sure those who pledge hundreds of dollars for a signed collector's edition will be unhappy when they receive their map and coin in a shipping envelope! I'm not feeling too good about this one.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo