Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

The countdown is up on Lord British Presents, and the site is currently livestreaming a Special RoosterTeeth Podcast from SXSW where Richard "Lord British" Garriott introduces his next gaming project: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, a new RPG harkening back to his seminal Ultima games which will also adhere to some of the tenets he set out a few years ago on Facebook asking "What is a Lord British 'Ultimate' Role Playing Game?" The Kickstarter Campaign for the game is now live, seeking one million dollars to finance its development. The Shroud of the Avatar website is live with forums, a FAQ explaining why this is coming to PC, how it relates to Ultima, and how to influence development. Here's the overview offered on the Kickstarter:

With Shroud of the Avatar, Richard and his team will again reinvent the classic fantasy role-playing experience. Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier. The world is full of opportunities and challenges!

The familiar psychological profiling used to create your character, organically derived game-play responses to player behavior and fundamental virtues and consequence of actions will all play a huge role in Shroud of the Avatar. Players will be free to choose their path, but must then live with the consequences of their actions.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

57. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:32 ItBurn

I, personally, think that the game looks awful. I'm not talking about graphics. I absolutely don't see why I should give money to this other than the Lord British name.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 8, 2013, 17:28 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:43:
Also, this is a multiplayer game. I guess RG wants to see if he can mimic EA.

Pass. Nobody wants a fucking multiplayer rpg, Garriot. Well, I guess the SimCity crowd might.

Creston

I do and all the mmo players are agreeing to. I prefer non mmo coop rpg's, the rarest of birds.

55. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:26 Beelzebud

I have a hard time throwing money at a guy that can afford to spend 30 Million dollars for a 10 day trip to space.  

54. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:45 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:21:

Yes, a game where you can play it consistently offline without ever needing to connect to a server sounds a lot like an MMO. *sigh*

I'm fairly sure that when you update, the game will sync itself no matter what. It will also sync itself when they release new content, etc. How else would they limit things like player housing?

Look, if you don't like features of the way they are implementing multiplayer, by all means, complain about those features. Frankly, I think the whole concept of having the game world sync up when you connect online sounds stupid. But that's a far cry from your original assertion that "nobody wants a multiplayer RPG".

Hey, I did say the SimCity crowd might want it!

Fair enough, though I think there are very few Ultima fans who want one. Ultima is a single player game. Like SimCity, I doubt there are that many people who are clamoring for a fucking multiplayer version of it.

Edit : Btw, I do love their "Guilt pledge." That's funny.

Creston

53. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:45 ASeven

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:33:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:26:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:56:
ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:15:
Hmm, I wanted a new Ultima but my points against this project have been exposed quite well by Creston.

Also, I am now having second thoughts on Civitas. Upon further review I think Civitas might be a scam and I'm not the only one thinking that.

Yeah, I have to admit that I've felt a little warning signal going off in my mind when I look at Civitas.

I hope I'm wrong, and I have a reminder on the page so I'll have another look 2 days before it's set to expire. But so far it does seem a bit iffy. And again, I see no way you can make a game of this kind with $250K, especially not if you're going to be releasing all these mod tools.

Creston

Might not be a scam, but it doesn't look to be a very experienced team, either. Posted by this guy.

I love the fact that they talk about getting PP links/page up and running, when they should never do that until they reach their initial goal...something fishy there. Obviously if you give to them now via PP, not only are you charged immediately, but it also doesn't count towards their KS goal...

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1584821767/comments

I think the biggest red flag for me is how much space he spends bashing the new SimCity, almost as much space to describe the game itself. I see this as a probable scam that is taking advantage of the shit that is SimCity.

Either way too many red flags for me. I was hoping for this project to be true but as time went on and I kept reading the project page my uneasy feeling just kept growing.

52. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:33 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:26:
Hmm, I wanted a new Ultima but my points against this project have been exposed quite well by Creston.

Also, I am now having second thoughts on Civitas. Upon further review I think Civitas might be a scam and I'm not the only one thinking that.

Yeah, I have to admit that I've felt a little warning signal going off in my mind when I look at Civitas.

I hope I'm wrong, and I have a reminder on the page so I'll have another look 2 days before it's set to expire. But so far it does seem a bit iffy. And again, I see no way you can make a game of this kind with $250K, especially not if you're going to be releasing all these mod tools.

Creston

Might not be a scam, but it doesn't look to be a very experienced team, either. Posted by this guy.

I love the fact that they talk about getting PP links/page up and running, when they should never do that until they reach their initial goal...something fishy there. Obviously if you give to them now via PP, not only are you charged immediately, but it also doesn't count towards their KS goal...

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1584821767/comments

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

51. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:26 jdreyer

Creston

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

50. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:20 Sho

Not going to back this. The pitch video set off all sorts of red flags for me: Talking about realtime graphics while showing a prerendered cutscene (not talking about his game, but still, that sort of handwavy, careless stuff rubs me the wrong way), lots of buzzword bingo, "we're already making swag for you to buy later", skirting around addressing important facts like the exact format of multiplayer, etc. The video just made me mistrust him and gave me the feeling that I'd have no idea what I'd be putting my money on the line for.

I'm basically sad this is going to meet its funding goal. OK, I guess it's fine for folks to take a gamble, but OTOH I also think we should be really tough on asking Kickstarter pitchers hard questions. They want our money after all.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 16:25.

49. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:19 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:07:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:25:
On the other hand, RG, you don't have this one million bucks to cough up yourself??
My exact thought upon seeing this KS.

Yeah, I think some people who could afford it use KS for other reasons:
- audience participation and feedback
- a way to gauge interest
- risk management
- sales and marketing

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

48. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:02 Steele Johnson

All the Ultima fanboys will hate it no matter how good it turns out.  

47. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:39 wtf_man

Meh... in for $25... wasn't gonna do $40 later on.  

46. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:23 Jerykk

Probably should have stuck with a 2D isometric presentation like the other RPG kickstarters. It's much easier to make a good-looking 2D game than a good-looking 3D game. I don't think a million is enough to make a good-looking, 3D open-world RPG and the game's lackluster presentation is definitely going to hurt its funding chances, even with Garriot involved.  

45. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:21 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:32:
They've said that player houses in the cities are going to be very limited, and only open to the "rich people" tiers. So because I don't have $500 to plonk down on it, I would never be able to own a player house in the city? And if said player who owns that house wants to make said house a pimpin' whorehouse, said changes get downloaded to my game when I "sync" it?

Sounds pretty much like an (M)MO to me.

Yes, a game where you can play it consistently offline without ever needing to connect to a server sounds a lot like an MMO. *sigh*

Look, if you don't like features of the way they are implementing multiplayer, by all means, complain about those features. Frankly, I think the whole concept of having the game world sync up when you connect online sounds stupid. But that's a far cry from your original assertion that "nobody wants a multiplayer RPG".

44. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:10 mag

Proooobably not going to chip in for this one, as I've got a bunch of KS games I'm waiting for, but absolutely best of luck to it. Show us you've still got it, LB!  

43. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:32 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:25:
No it wouldn't. There's a vast difference between an RPG that supports multiplayer, and an RPG that's an MMO.

And this falls much closer to the latter side, though it won't be massive. It'll be an MO.

From the earlier linked article:

And instead, what we’re going to do is if you imagine you’re largely playing offline or solo player, well…when you are connected online, that’s when all the persistent world changes will update to you. And so who owns what house and what all the decorations look like, and all those things will change. And so if somebody is running a farm or a pub or a blacksmith in some other part of the world, when you’re online his NPC shopkeeper and the way he’s decorated his shop will pop in to your solo player experience. So the persistent world you’re playing in will update to you every time you go online, and be continuously updated if you’re continuously online, if you follow my drift.

They've said that player houses in the cities are going to be very limited, and only open to the "rich people" tiers. So because I don't have $500 to plonk down on it, I would never be able to own a player house in the city? And if said player who owns that house wants to make said house a pimpin' whorehouse, said changes get downloaded to my game when I "sync" it?

Sounds pretty much like an (M)MO to me.

Creston

42. Questions and Concerns... Mar 8, 2013, 14:28 JediPunisher

"Our team is built around a core of industry experts" … Ok, then who is on the design team?

"We are using powerful, proven tools" ... Like what? What game engine are you using?

Is this game an MMO playable offline, a SP game playable online, or a co-op game?
If this is an MMO, is there a monthly fee?

If those who pledge $500 or more will have persistent tax free housing, and the housing is very limited…
Will there be any housing left for the rest of us, or will we be homeless?
Is the tax on persistent housing payable with in game money or real dollars?

Why is there no boxed version?
Sure, it adds to production costs, but if someone is willing to pay $150 for a map and coin, they will certainly pay $25 extra for a nice CE box and game discs.

Did Richard Garriott ever finish building his 3rd castle, Britannia Manor III?

If Richard is so confident in this project, why doesn’t he offer to match the pledge total? After all, he's not poor.

The comment about “re-playable scenes” worries me… Having a dragon attack every time I cross a mountain pass doesn’t sound like fun…
nor does re-clearing the same dungeon over and over.
The problem that I, and most other Ultima fans, have with an MMO is that we all want to be the hero of the game, the Avatar...
not a dirt farmer, blacksmith, town jester, or the butler to some baron who coughed up $3000 for his city home! Protest
Unless, of course, we can rise to the level of Avatar and skewer that filthy rich baron who made us clean his damned chamber pots!

Game development remains inherently risky”… Um, excuse me while I flush more cash down the Black Gate. Flush

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 14:36.

41. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:25 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:00:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:53:
Really? BG 1&2, considered by many to be among the best RPGs of all time had multiplayer.

Did you ever try them? I mean, seriously? It was so broken as to be laughable. My buddy and I had planned to play all of BG2 in coop, even created characters that would work well together and cover several necessary areas.

We never even managed to get out of the first dungeon without de-synching.

Yes, a friend and I played through BG2 twice. It was a lot of fun, and we didn't have any problems.

None of the Ultimas were multiplayer, and I'm pretty sure none of the Ultima fans who want another Ultima want multiplayer in their Ultima.

Because that would make it Ultima Online.

No it wouldn't. There's a vast difference between an RPG that supports multiplayer, and an RPG that's an MMO.

Unless you think BG and DDO are the same because they both have multiplayer.

40. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:25 Mr. Tact

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:13:
From there it can be presumed that a Kickstarter is a good way for him to gauge interest. If there aren't enough Ultima fans left to collectively put a million into finishing up his game then he shouldn't put more of his money into it either. It seems kosher to me.
Meh, maybe. I don't buy it though. I generally don't give the benefit of the doubt to millionaires when they ask for money.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

39. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:17 nin

RG put his money in to make the demo.

From there it can be presumed that a Kickstarter is a good way for him to gauge interest. If there aren't enough Ultima fans left to collectively put a million into finishing up his game then he shouldn't put more of his money into it either. It seems kosher to me.

I have to agree with that.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

RG is a nice guy, but that has little to do with funding his endeavors. I don't know that anyone is hating, I think it's legitimate question to ask "You can easily afford to publish this yourself. Why do you need Kickstarter money?"

Creston

I guess it's just annoying because the question is answered at the bottom of the Kickstarter.

RG put his money in to make the demo.

But I've been playing Ultima since U3 so I'm an easy sell.

Enough about that.

Since this is "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" and Lord British is going to be a character in it, I wonder what his set up is going to be?

The map sort of looks like Sosaria but the title indicates that whatever land this is had a past with virtues that are now gone. Is the Shroud of the Avatar a religious token like the Shroud of Turin? Was there an Avatar before, but now he's dead? How did LB get there?

I'm more interesting in nerding about that than anything to be honest.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo