Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

The countdown is up on Lord British Presents, and the site is currently livestreaming a Special RoosterTeeth Podcast from SXSW where Richard "Lord British" Garriott introduces his next gaming project: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, a new RPG harkening back to his seminal Ultima games which will also adhere to some of the tenets he set out a few years ago on Facebook asking "What is a Lord British 'Ultimate' Role Playing Game?" The Kickstarter Campaign for the game is now live, seeking one million dollars to finance its development. The Shroud of the Avatar website is live with forums, a FAQ explaining why this is coming to PC, how it relates to Ultima, and how to influence development. Here's the overview offered on the Kickstarter:

With Shroud of the Avatar, Richard and his team will again reinvent the classic fantasy role-playing experience. Using state-of-the-art tools and technology, the game will focus on what made his seminal Ultima Series great. Once players are introduced to the game, they will discover their own story woven into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Players may choose to follow the life of the adventurer or, if they prefer, focus on exploration and discovery. Players may even choose the life of a homesteader; either nestled within the safety of the settled lands, or on the dangerous but potentially lucrative frontier. The world is full of opportunities and challenges!

The familiar psychological profiling used to create your character, organically derived game-play responses to player behavior and fundamental virtues and consequence of actions will all play a huge role in Shroud of the Avatar. Players will be free to choose their path, but must then live with the consequences of their actions.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 12, 2013, 12:25 Creston

Btw, this guy has done some funny reviews of all the Ultimas.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpoonyOne/videos?view=0

Just stumbled across it through a PC Gamer comment. It seems pretty cool.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 10, 2013, 05:35 EricFate

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:38:
EricFate wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 03:09:
I wish I still had enough faith in his vision to want to contribute, but I feel like he lost his way after Ultima 7.

Lots of ideas with no restraint is a recipe for a Moleynoux-style train wreck. Add in an internet only, persistent world type environment and it interests me even less.

Without a Raph Koster type on board, I can't even justify forking over enough to reach even the lowest tier.

Oh geez. ANYBODY but Raph Koster.

The key word is 'type'. Someone with online experience who is willing to reign in RG when he starts trying to implement things which are not interesting, fun, or technologically feasible. Also, someone who has seen just how wrong things can go, with some capacity to actually learn from the mistakes. Not Raph himself.

75. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 13:01 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 01:55:
I can't tell you how many times I walked back and forth on bridges waiting to get troll encounters.

I'd guess around a million? That's about what I did. And then when you FINALLY get a Bridge Troll encounter, there are no chests! ARGH!

Rinse, repeat. Heh, that might have been the first instance of grinding. But those chests always had a ton of gold in them.

Creston

74. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 12:53 nin

Ok, http://www.civitasgame.com/ has got to be a joke, as the page never loads...

edit: Oh wait, it finally loaded! I still worry its a scam.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 13:04.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

73. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 12:45 nin

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:38:
I wish I still had enough faith in his vision to want to contribute, but I feel like he lost his way after Ultima 7.

Lots of ideas with no restraint is a recipe for a Moleynoux-style train wreck. Add in an internet only, persistent world type environment and it interests me even less.

Without a Raph Koster type on board, I can't even justify forking over enough to reach even the lowest tier.

Yeah, I was a little surprised his name was mentioned in a positive light there. I'm not really or or against, but it seems like a lot more gamers view him negatively than positively.

72. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 12:38 Silicon Avatar

71. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

datachasm wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 08:49:
i backed this as soon as i watched the video... i think the game looks great as is, it can only get better. Looked imo nearly as good if not better than LOTRO. i was also sold on the MP aspects of the game and backed about half an hour after i seen the KS was live. Torment had me fenced being single player only (and clearly reaching goal!), but i went ahead and backed at $45, i may drop it later... really no risk in not backing it and the tiers are rather meh.

too bad Rouge System is gonna flop!

I have way more faith in Torment than SotA... but I backed both.

SotA looks ok as is, for an indie kickstarter game, and not a AAA release. I Think most people are expecting Garriot to release something AAA though. After watching the Q&A stream... they are definitely indie... a dozen or so people... this is not a huge studio.

If Notch was making this game... no one would be bitching about the graphics...and would think the map view was actually innovative. Go FIgure.

My only complaint, while remembering this is an alpha build, is that I hate floating damage numbers, and I hope we can turn them off. It ruins immersion for me and screams consolitus design (even though the game isn't being made for consoles).

As for the multi-player aspects... I really couldn't care less... but if I'm able to play with a couple of friends (like Bioware's NWN, but better network code)... then that is a bonus.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 10:29.

70. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 08:49 datachasm

i backed this as soon as i watched the video... i think the game looks great as is, it can only get better. Looked imo nearly as good if not better than LOTRO. i was also sold on the MP aspects of the game and backed about half an hour after i seen the KS was live. Torment had me fenced being single player only (and clearly reaching goal!), but i went ahead and backed at $45, i may drop it later... really no risk in not backing it and the tiers are rather meh.

too bad Rouge System is gonna flop!

69. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 03:09 EricFate

68. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 01:55 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 18:16:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 18:11:
I just want to see the return of the headless.

Bridge Trolls or GTFO, LB!

Also, there better be two moons (Let's call them Fammel and Trelucca!), and a reagent that I can only harvest on full moon for both. (which was awesome once computers became so fast that you could just hold down the {H}arvest key and the game would harvest 987 billion times while the moons were in alignment. )

I need to replay U4 again. Better go find that update mod.

Creston

It all really makes me want to play U5, U6 and U7 again. Those three were my favorites.

I can't tell you how many times I walked back and forth on bridges waiting to get troll encounters.

It'd be sort of cool if the wisps came back too.

67. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 01:53 Silicon Avatar

Julio wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:13:
I'm going to pass on this one.

1) Richard Garriott has had quite a few flops recently, this looks like another one
2) Heresy I know, but I never liked any Ultima game
3) I'm not giving a guy who's got a gazillion dollars more money
4) The screenshots look like they are from 1990

Just to clear this up for others, the screenshots look like they're from 1990 because they're showing a pre-alpha build. What you see is either art made by non-artists or stock models. They said as much in one of the interviews or Twitter posts.

66. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 23:29 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 22:01:
Looks like you can play for free at GOG.

Heh, I have so many versions of U4, it's crazy.

Let's see... I still have my old Amiga version (nostalgia.) I have my "Ultimate Ultima Collection" CD. I have the free U4 from GOG (thanks for linking, btw!) and I have the U4-U6 from GOG.

Creston

65. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 22:15 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 22:01:

Also, there better be two moons (Let's call them Fammel and Trelucca!), and a reagent that I can only harvest on full moon for both. (which was awesome once computers became so fast that you could just hold down the {H}arvest key and the game would harvest 987 billion times while the moons were in alignment. )

Creston

Wow! Thank you!

64. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 22:01 jdreyer

Creston

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

63. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 21:13 Julio

I'm going to pass on this one.

1) Richard Garriott has had quite a few flops recently, this looks like another one
2) Heresy I know, but I never liked any Ultima game
3) I'm not giving a guy who's got a gazillion dollars more money
4) The screenshots look like they are from 1990

62. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 18:16 Creston

Creston

61. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 18:11 Silicon Avatar

60. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:54 Creston

There is another massive interview over on RPS.

Creston

59. Re: Questions and Concerns... Mar 8, 2013, 17:54 Silicon Avatar

JediPunisher wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:28:
"Our team is built around a core of industry experts" Ok, then who is on the design team?

"We are using powerful, proven tools" ... Like what? What game engine are you using?

They're using Unity. I saw that in an interview somewhere. I don't know about the rest of it.

58. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:39 Beelzebud

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:58:
So the guy has money. He isn't asking for charity, he's asking for investment. Lots of the people on Kickstarter could probably finance out of their own pockets if they wanted to, as could many traditional business start-ups that seek financial backers. That doesn't mean it is a good idea.

If you view kickstarter projects as investments, you're seeing things incorrectly.

Investors have a chance at seeing profit from what they're investing in; that is the whole point of investing. With kickstarter you are NOT investing in anything. You're simply giving money to people who you think deserve the help. You may get a game when the project finishes, but you're never going to see a return on your "investment".

It's not charity, or an investment. You're just giving them money.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo