Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM

A new Kickstarter update for Torment: Tides of Numenera has more on inXile entertainment's just-announced role-playing game, which has surpassed the $2 million funding plateau in about 48 hours. This includes Colin's Video Update #1, kicking off a series on from Colin McComb, creative lead on the project, word of a couple of new supporter tiers they've added to the campaign, and details on new stretch goals, most of which have already been triggered. The $2 million mark (which will cost Brian Fargo $100K) increases the amount of gameplay by 100% (gameplay is measured by weight, not volume: some settling of contents may occur), and next up is the $2.5 million goal, which adds a new writer to the project, "gameplay after death" (spoiler alert?), a secret new companion, and more.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 11, 2013, 04:31 hello newman

Fantaz wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 03:22:
I always thought PS Torment was so overrated...
Oops ! I thought it was overrated too. And throw Baldur's Gate in there too
I enjoyed D&D dungeon crawlers (EOB, Wizardry) but none of the isometrics (Torment, Baldur, Icewind, Neverwinter, etc). I dunno why.

(I guess people will have some not very pleasant answers as to why :))

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 22:52 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 13:05:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 05:41:
I think DFA is almost over-budget, if the recent documentaries are anything to go by. DF is already looking at alternate revenue sources (the main reason they ported Brutal Legend to PC) so they can actually finish the game. DF really didn't have much a plan going into the Kickstarter. They hadn't even done any pre-production, which is a big no-no when you have tight budgets. $3 million sounds like a lot but it really isn't, especially when a large portion of the budget will be spent on pre-production. I'm sure they'll be able to finish the game and make it good but their situation serves as a lesson to other devs looking to kickstart their own projects. You need to have a plan and you need to hit the ground running. inXile seems to meet both these requirements so I have high hopes for WL2 and Torment.

I hadn't heard that. Ouch. The fact they had no plan whatsoever was basically the reason I didn't back DFA... Sad to hear that they're having difficulties.

I just hope the other big ones will do better, though they did come in with (it seemed) much better ideas of what to do and how much stuff would cost.

Shadowrun seems great so far, if a little more "generic sci-fi RPG" than real Shadowrun than I would have liked.

Creston
I've said this before, what they are going through is more than healthy, figuring out if they need to scale back from the initial plans before they run out of money. Other kickstarters should have done this before they ran out of money. I backed one that announced a year delay since they ran out of money. Anyway, DF has decided to try and use other income sources so they don't have to scale back as much. Brutal was already being ported before all this happened, they just speeded up the porting. Also, the latest update came out a couple days ago. Looks like they are re-energized from the creative juice break from Amnesia fortnight.
Also, they had internal playtesters playing part of it for the first time.
So its getting done.

50. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 13:05 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 05:41:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:03:
InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:35:
When is Project Eternity due? In fact, has any Kickstarted game been released yet? When is the first one set for release? Does anyone know?

There have been quite a few releases, though none of the "Major" ones are done yet. I think Shadowrun is first, and it should be out somewhere this Summer. (that was their latest projection anyway.)

Wasteland 2 is scheduled for August. P:E is not due until 2014. I have no idea about Doublefine's release date.

Creston

I think DFA is almost over-budget, if the recent documentaries are anything to go by. DF is already looking at alternate revenue sources (the main reason they ported Brutal Legend to PC) so they can actually finish the game. DF really didn't have much a plan going into the Kickstarter. They hadn't even done any pre-production, which is a big no-no when you have tight budgets. $3 million sounds like a lot but it really isn't, especially when a large portion of the budget will be spent on pre-production. I'm sure they'll be able to finish the game and make it good but their situation serves as a lesson to other devs looking to kickstart their own projects. You need to have a plan and you need to hit the ground running. inXile seems to meet both these requirements so I have high hopes for WL2 and Torment.

I hadn't heard that. Ouch. The fact they had no plan whatsoever was basically the reason I didn't back DFA... Sad to hear that they're having difficulties.

I just hope the other big ones will do better, though they did come in with (it seemed) much better ideas of what to do and how much stuff would cost.

Shadowrun seems great so far, if a little more "generic sci-fi RPG" than real Shadowrun than I would have liked.

Creston

49. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 12:02 nin

Unspeakably bad box art,

You know, I hate to admit it, but I think that's one of the reasons I never bought it a decade or more ago, back when we shopped for games at retail on cds. Several times I had the game in my hand (including those cheap double disc sets interplay did for $10) and I'd always end up putting it down in favor of something else...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 10:37 Optional Nickname!

Ps:T had some serious 'curb appeal' issues at launch, to use real-estate lingo.

Unspeakably bad box art, an unwieldy and uninviting name and if you could tear yourself away from Diablo II which was all-consuming at the time you found yourself starting out in an unfamiliar and downright peculiar 1st level which arguably is the worst level in the game. All run in a not so advanced engine with low resolution and average performance.

Baldur's Gate had released Tales of the Coast by the time Ps:T was available so there was that much friendlier and familiar D&D experience to be had. Why bother with that scary "Torment" D&D game when you have Minsc & Boo?

Initial sales were so low as to be heart-breaking, a handful of tens of thousands at best over years. But there were a few gamers who saw Ps:T for what it was when it was first released (I was not one of them) and the slow renewal of interest in D&D (Thanks in part to Planescape and Forgotten Coast settings) combined with the dauntless efforts of PC RPG developers further refining their craft allows us to appreciate today Ps:T's storytelling, artwork, music and RPG elements in ways we could not think of back in 1999.

Ps:T overrated? Not by anyone who finishes it!

47. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 05:41 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:03:
InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:35:
When is Project Eternity due? In fact, has any Kickstarted game been released yet? When is the first one set for release? Does anyone know?

There have been quite a few releases, though none of the "Major" ones are done yet. I think Shadowrun is first, and it should be out somewhere this Summer. (that was their latest projection anyway.)

Wasteland 2 is scheduled for August. P:E is not due until 2014. I have no idea about Doublefine's release date.

Creston

46. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 05:33 Jerykk

Oh dear. This isn't going to end well for you...

45. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 9, 2013, 03:22 Fantaz

44. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 14:20 sauron

sauron wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:16:
Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:05:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:53:
Really? Rolleyes

I meant keep an eye on the development of the game for possible purchase...

Oh and you can pre-order on their web-site currently if you want...

I was just fucking with ya. No need to get upset.

Creston

I was checking out the Numenera book the other day as well - it looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of tabletop RPGs and have a bunch of stuff by Monte Cook already, including some of the old Planescape titles. Maybe I'll see if I can get it for a good price as part of a Torment game KS package.

And I'm sure Tact isn't offended - we're all RPG geeks here, me included.

Hmmm, seems like you can grab a pdf of the Corebook for $20, and pretty much all the game pdf's for $50. Not bad.

Physical copies are a lot more but I always read RPGs on my tablet anyhow.

[EDIT - Doh! All those deals are gone now the KS is funded. Oh well, I'll just pick up the pdf from DriveThruRPG when it sees the light of day.]

Kittens!

43. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 14:16 sauron

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:05:
Really? Rolleyes

Creston

I was checking out the Numenera book the other day as well - it looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of tabletop RPGs and have a bunch of stuff by Monte Cook already, including some of the old Planescape titles. Maybe I'll see if I can get it for a good price as part of a Torment game KS package.

And I'm sure Tact isn't offended - we're all RPG geeks here, me included.

Kittens!

42. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 14:09 Mr. Tact

Annoyed maybe, but not upset. No worries, it is all good.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

41. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 14:05 Creston

Really? Rolleyes

Creston

40. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:53 Mr. Tact

Really? Rolleyes

39. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:49 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:19:
By the way, this got me looking at the Numenera KS which I don't recall ever seeing before. Might need to keep an eye on that as well...

You can keep two eyes on it if you want, but that Kickstarter completed half a year ago.

Creston

38. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:24 Mr. Tact

Yeah -- that's actually what lead to me find the other KS, I was thinking, "What is this corebook they are talking about?"  

37. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:20 Sho

The book that's being made as the result of the Numenera KS is a reward in some of the Torment tiers BTW.  

36. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:19 Mr. Tact

By the way, this got me looking at the Numenera KS which I don't recall ever seeing before. Might need to keep an eye on that as well...  

35. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:10 Sho

Although it's worth pointing out that the reasons behind that contrast goes deeper than "publishers are solely manned by evil dicks". Rather, in the traditional publisher model, games are funded _at risk_, which e.g. does reasonably make piracy a factor that you need to consider in your calculation, because you need to make your money back post-release to break even. Even ignoring the desire to maximize profits (which is a pressure acting on publishers stemming from shareholders etc.) that alone creates an incentive to try to eliminate piracy e.g. by moving parts of the game server-side.

Kickstarter improves on this not so much because it cuts out a layer of evil dicks, but on a conceptual level - unless pitchers lie about their funding goal, getting funded before production even starts eliminates risk and removes an incentive to care about piracy.

The risk is when pitchers try to have their cake and eat it too, i.e. set the funding goal too low in the expectation of post-release profits. That's why we (the potential backers) have to remain vigilant and ask hard questions of pitchers. We have to educate ourselves more about how game budgets really work (e.g. by paying attention to which of these projects fail).

34. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:05 Mad Max RW

Dev wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:18:
Also, there's a guide on GOG for installing the best of the mods:
http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide
The mods do things like enable higher resolution, widescreen support, lots of restored content, adjustable font sizes, etc.

After patching I applied these to my CD version and it runs great. A few basic tweaks like widescreen support and larger font is a world of difference for me. Combat is still somewhat painful, but at least it isn't zoomed right up your player's ass anymore.

33. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 12:19 Prez

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:05:
Sho wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:54:
What's the EA fuckup got to do with Torment?

Well, wouldn't you rather cut the fucking publishers out of your next game as well? All SimCity's problems can be laid directly at the feet of EA and its bullshit Always-On necessity.

I'm happy there are games being made without some cocksack in a suit bleating about useless shit NEEDING to be included in the game.

Creston

I get the comparison; or more accurately, the contrast. The latest Simcity debacle provides a textbook illustration of how a publisher can destroy a property.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo