Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

games.on.net - SimCity’s launch woes: Another nail in the DRM coffin, a red flag for games reviewers.
Many games sites, including this one, were offered access to a review event where SimCity could be played in a controlled environment prior to launch. Many sites (although not this one, for reasons detailed here) published their reviews based on these events or, in some cases, on additional playtime on specific dedicated review servers. Some sites waited, played on the live servers — or tried to! — and then published their reviews. That’s fine — after all, what other options are there?

High-profile site Polygon initially gave the game a glowing 9.5 out of 10. Then, they knocked it down to 8. Then, they knocked it down to 4. There’s a collective gasp from the crowd. A four out of ten! That’s a genuinely bad score! That ain’t no seven.

No. It’s not. And it doesn’t matter, because Metacritic — which is the only reason publishers actually care about review scores — never alters a score, once it’s been published. So the Metacritic entry for SimCity from Polygon still stands at ‘95’. In fact, according to Metacritic, the critical consensus is sitting at a nice, healthy, 81. The servers could catch fire tomorrow, EA could shut down the servers, fire everyone at Maxis and flood the entire office with venomous snakes, and the Metacritic score would remain unchanged forever. Bonuses for everybody! Or not, as the case may be.

Meanwhile, the average user score is 1.7. Out of ten. Is anybody surprised?

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 17:22 Julio

Most game sites have pretty biased favorable reviews. This is no different. Any legitimate site would drop the score to 3 or less.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 16:59 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:04:
"Does it run for an hour? Great! Get the fuck out!"

EA. You're in our game!

Creston

30. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 16:04 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:02:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:25:

The way they handled the beta probably didn't give them any real testing of large groups playing for long periods of time.

The 1 hour limit effectively minimized the amount of load that the servers would be under as I doubt many people wanted to rebuild a city from scratch every hour. Some did I'm sure but I think that was designed more as a demo with the purpose being to leave people wanting more and then they'd go pre-order.

This whole thing stinks of a company doing everything they can to sell the game and the minimum possible to ensure the experience is there to back up the price.

This exactly. When the beta came out a while back with the one hour time limit, I immediately thought, oh, they're using the beta as a sales tool, they don't really care about actual load. They're just trying to cycle as many different people through as they can.

"Does it run for an hour? Great! Get the fuck out!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 16:02 jdreyer

The way they handled the beta probably didn't give them any real testing of large groups playing for long periods of time.

The 1 hour limit effectively minimized the amount of load that the servers would be under as I doubt many people wanted to rebuild a city from scratch every hour. Some did I'm sure but I think that was designed more as a demo with the purpose being to leave people wanting more and then they'd go pre-order.

This whole thing stinks of a company doing everything they can to sell the game and the minimum possible to ensure the experience is there to back up the price.

This exactly. When the beta came out a while back with the one hour time limit, I immediately thought, oh, they're using the beta as a sales tool, they don't really care about actual load. They're just trying to cycle as many different people through as they can.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

28. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 15:56 Beamer

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:29:
Yeah, this happened with D3. This happens with brand new MMOs. This happens with Steam sales and, occasionally, Steam launches.

I think everyone knew this was going to happen.

To clarify this, as I was yelled at about it somewhere else, saying "everyone should have known this was going to happen" is different than saying "EA didn't do anything wrong, because everyone should have known this was going to happen."

Everyone knows a guy that likes to drive drunk is bound to kill someone, but that doesn't mean he isn't a complete asshole when it happens.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 15:41 Verno

Tim Collins wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:20:
"Just realized the irony that a game focused on building infrastructure is unplayable due to a lack of infrastructure,"

Maybe Dell is charging EA microtransactions on memory and CPU Smartass

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

26. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 15:20 Tim Collins

"Just realized the irony that a game focused on building infrastructure is unplayable due to a lack of infrastructure,"

fyi isnt rollingthunder one of them people EA hired to post positive comments?

25. removed Mar 8, 2013, 14:33 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 8, 2013, 15:44.

24. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 14:29 Beamer

Yeah, this happened with D3. This happens with brand new MMOs. This happens with Steam sales and, occasionally, Steam launches.

I think everyone knew this was going to happen.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 13:53 Creston

At this point I have to question why people bought SimCity in the first place because everyone knew this would happen.

Everyone knew it could happen, I don't think anyone thought it would.

I did. Even flat-out said it would.

But I like your idea of going back to 1 hour playing slots, since that's what they obviously were expecting people to do.

They can even micro-transaction the upgrades:

Upgrade to 2 hour timeslots: Only $12.99! Click Here.
Additional hours, only $5.99 each!"

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 14:03.

22. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 13:30 Tumbler

For Anno, it checks and limits to three installs. The latest patch removed the limitation of counting an activation if you swapped out a graphics card for a different one:

Anno is down to $16 on amazon, boxed copy shipped. I believe it links to Uplay now so once you install and register you have a digital copy. It should arrive today so I'll know for sure soon.

I don't mind these drm schemes if the price reflects the experience. Selling a game like Anon or Sim City for $60 (approx) is offensive. Drop it to $20 and I'm willing to try it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 13:25 Tumbler

At this point I have to question why people bought SimCity in the first place because everyone knew this would happen.

Everyone knew it could happen, I don't think anyone thought it would.

Hmm, maybe they should go back to the 1 hour time limit! They seemed to be able to keep it running for an hour! Then maybe push it out to two hours, then three, etc. You could even have the pre-order now page come up and offer to sell people more time so they could get early access to the two hour time limit!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 13:01 Ozmodan

You have to wonder how many times will people continue to let EA screw them over. I just don't buy EA games anymore. Problem solved.  

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 13:00 Cutter

If you bought it knowing there was ODRM you have zero right to complain. ZERO.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 12:52 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:29:

Side note and unrelated "technically": Is an always-on connection required for the most recent Anno and HoMM games or is it just a "check" when you launch the game?

I believe Anno is still always-on. I don't think HoMM is.

Creston

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 12:24 saluk

I can understand the controlled environment thing, really. You can predict and guess that there will be launch issues with a connected game, but you can't really review a guess now can you. Also, if the gameplay (in a controlled environment) is really good until the game goes on for a while, I'm not sure how much you can fault reviewers in coming away with a good impression. There are some obviously paid off reviews going on here, but what I see is more a mismanaged launch and poor publisher decisions rather than a bad game per se. We know mmo reviews are pointless, I think the same is kind of true here.

My sister was upset she wouldn't be able to get simcity right away because she is broke, well, by the time they fix their shit, maybe she'll afford it

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 12:18 Jivaro

Thanks Gilly, exactly what I needed to know.  

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 12:10 gilly775

Jivaro wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:29:
I know the following is just my little bubble..."Jivaro Island" if you will...but here are my observations on this fiasco:

I know nobody who has been able to play the game to their own satisfaction and actually have fun. I know of a few people that have been able to get enough time in to see some potential, but that just pisses them off more when things come to a grinding halt via crash or disconnection.

All I can say is thank you to Blizzard and Diablo 3 for teaching me the lesson that kept me from buying this game and any future games that require always-on connections for single player gameplay.

Side note and unrelated "technically": Is an always-on connection required for the most recent Anno and HoMM games or is it just a "check" when you launch the game?

For Anno, it checks and limits to three installs. The latest patch removed the limitation of counting an activation if you swapped out a graphics card for a different one:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/anno-2070/1216980p1.html

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 12:06 NegaDeath

Saw this comment on twitter, thought it was wonderfully appropriate:

"Just realized the irony that a game focused on building infrastructure is unplayable due to a lack of infrastructure"

13. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 11:29 Jivaro

I know the following is just my little bubble..."Jivaro Island" if you will...but here are my observations on this fiasco:

I know nobody who has been able to play the game to their own satisfaction and actually have fun. I know of a few people that have been able to get enough time in to see some potential, but that just pisses them off more when things come to a grinding halt via crash or disconnection.

All I can say is thank you to Blizzard and Diablo 3 for teaching me the lesson that kept me from buying this game and any future games that require always-on connections for single player gameplay.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo