Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

This won't mean anything to many of you, but as someone who grew up before Manhattan became Disneyworld North and when music was still distributed on vinyl, the news that Bleecker Bob's is closing is sad indeed. As someone with an affection for the place, however, I probably have less right to complain about this than most, since it's been so long since I was there that I wouldn't have been able to say for certain it was still open (for all my talk of vinyl, my version of old-fashioned listening is CDs). Still, it certainly marks the end of an era, even if the era actually ended a while ago. Maybe I need to construct my NYC bucket list of places to revisit before they (or I) die. I could start not too far from Bob's with my long-ago favorite pizzeria.

R.I.P.: World's oldest horse trots his final furlong. A good run.

Vinyl Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Nuclear Plant 2.
Stories: Community Is Doing a Puppet Episode.
Science: Plants make bees remember them fondly with a jolt of caffeine. Nature's coke whores.
New Type of Bacteria Reportedly Found in Buried Antarctic Lake.
Media: How Guys Will Use Google Glass.
The Worst Conditions for a Сorner Kick Ever.
Majestic Little Pony.
Follow-up: How Disney Bought Lucasfilm—and Its Plans for 'Star Wars'. Thanks nin.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2013, 09:08 DNForever

Ahh I never chimed in about the music format ... well for what it's worth at this point, I still listen to records but 80% is digital (CD rips, flac etc), but hardly ever from a CD except in the car. It's a good format if you have a decent setup, and can get records for cheap (online is usually NOT cheap for them). I can balance my guilt for using the Pirate Bay so much by buying actual records for 13-15 bucks down the street, and if you have that luxury (and a good turntable, phono amp, etc etc etc) you should too. I'm glad no one got into the sound quality CD vs. analog thing.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2013, 08:32 PHJF

Menu for what...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2013, 01:58 xXBatmanXx

OUCH! Just got an update (might have been from a while back) in Steam. That new menu system is fucking TERRIBLE!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 19:16 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:10:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:17:
Finished FarCry3 damn near 100% cheevos early this am.
Started Driver San Fran the other day, it is ok, nothing special.
Halfway through Dishonored.
Played Lollipop Chainsaw for 5 minutes, shut it off.
Started up Assassin's Creed 2.

Busy week.

Don't you WORK?

And you didn't like Lollipop Chainsaw? It has a half-naked cheerleader in it!!!

Creston

Yea, I work 3 on 3 off, nights. So I play all night while wife is sleeping.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 18:20 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:53:
Yeah, well it was ages since I had listened to Paul's Boutique so the album and Johnny Ryall in particular has been stuck in my head since you brought that up. It really is a brilliant effing album.

Yeah, it's easily my favorite of theirs (I was jamming to Shake Your Rump just the other day). If you've not read this book, I found it very entertaining, and covered the making of the album.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 17:53 Cutter

Yeah, well it was ages since I had listened to Paul's Boutique so the album and Johnny Ryall in particular has been stuck in my head since you brought that up. It really is a brilliant effing album.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 16:49 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:45:
Nin, you're even more over than mayor Ed Koch.

Your odd fascination with this is quite humorous. Was just thinking about the Beasties the other day. I don't ever expect another "Beastie Boys" album, but I wonder if Adam and Mike D would record together again?

edit: Ah, here we go:
On May 24, 2012, in an interview with Rolling Stone, Mike D claimed that the Beastie Boys recorded new music in late 2011 after the release of Hot Sauce Committee (Part 2), although it was not indicated if or when these recordings would be released. During the same interview, Mike D claimed that the Beastie Boys will likely disband due to the death of MCA, although he is open to making new music with Ad-Rock in the future. Nothing certain has been said regarding the future of the band,[7] but Mike D stated he would like to continue making music and "Yauch would genuinely want us to try whatever crazy thing we wanted but never got around to."[49]

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 16:45 Cutter

Nin, you're even more over than mayor Ed Koch.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:36 Beamer

Lastly, some twisted part of me hopes Disney buys Nintendo so we get a multiplatform Smash Brothers featuring Mario, Jigglypuff, Marth, Darth Vader, the Avengers, Wall-E, and Mickey Mouse.

Stupidest roster ever? Best?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:32 Beamer

Also, This Tropes vs Women in Video Games video is sure to inspire the standard whining.  
-------------

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:31 Beamer

Proof that GTA4 and Saints Row inspire crime.

And hilarity. They also inspire hilarity.

-------------

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:21 Verno

New Type of Bacteria Reportedly Found in Buried Antarctic Lake.

They're gonna thaw out The Thing and Kurt Russell is too old to save the day

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:10 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:17:

Busy week.

Don't you WORK?

And you didn't like Lollipop Chainsaw? It has a half-naked cheerleader in it!!!

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:08 Creston

InBlack wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:08:
1badmf wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 09:52:
man, as much as i love star wars, i think i have to accept that it'll never be as good as the spirituality of ESB, nor the otherworldly fun and adventure of rotj. abrams makes good movies, but he's never made a great one, and i don't think a single comic book movie has ever come close to those two, even if they've made disney dumptrucks of cash.

There is a huge problem with the new movies, in one word: Vader. How the hell do you have Star Wars without such a compelling villain, probably the MOST EPIC COMPELLING villain of all time?

The EU storyline about the Solo children going to the Dark Side is pretty compelling. I got really angry at it when they killed Mara Jade, but it's an excellent story, especially when Jaina has to face Jacen (being twins.)

They could easily do a variation on that that would be very interesting.

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 13:07 Cutter

Speaking of horses I caught a fascinating documentary on them last night - as I rode for years and still miss it dearly.

Martin Clune's Horsepower.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 12:39 Jivaro

I have promised myself that I will not partake in the next 2-3 years of "what will the new Star Wars be about" stuff. For my own sanity and my marriage. I am not going to read every stupid speculation article, and I am not going to watch every trailer...fan made or not. I will pay to go see the first one regardless of what the reviews say ahead of time because I am a fan and I want to make up my own mind. If they suck, I will most likely say that I won't see any of the others and then go see the others...just like I did with episodes 1 thru 3.

When it comes to Star Wars I have no backbone, but I am going to do myself a huge favor and just give in to the dark side by being the willing sheep that just goes to the movies and takes whatever they dish out.

Some franchises I can walk away from, like Transformers, but Star Wars doesn't appear to be one of them so I am giving in. Shut up and take my money Disney.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 12:17 xXBatmanXx

Busy week.

8. Re: Bleecker Bob’s Mar 8, 2013, 11:56 Killer Kane

Ahhh Bleecker Bob’s...I used to love making that guy climb up the wall to fetch the latest Punk LP release from England or NYC back in the mid to late 70's  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 10:42 nin

And how do they continue the story without rehashing the previous films?

I think if you look at the previous 6 films, it's about family, fathers and sons, parents and children. That's Anakin's issue with his mother, and anxiety about losing Padme. And Luke finding out what a horrible person his father was, and trying not to follow that same path. And I expect (or at least hope) you'll see some of those same dynamics with the next generation of kids, specifically trying to step out of the shadow of these characters who helped saved the universe.

That's my take, anyway...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2013, 10:35 InBlack

Yeah but how do you beat Vader and all his multifaceted complicated dynamics that he had going on with the Emperor and his own son??

And how do they continue the story without rehashing the previous films? I hope Im proven wrong but from what Ive read of the fan fiction, which arguably isnt that much, its been hashed and rehhashed a hundred times already....

I have a nifty blue line!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo