Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity

Amazon.com has suspended sales of the downloadable version of SimCity due to connectivity issues with the game. The page carries the following note: "Many customers are having issues connecting to the "SimCity" servers. EA is actively working to resolve these issues, but at this time we do not know when the issue will be fixed. Please visit https://help.ea.com/en/simcity/simcity for more information." This note is also on the page for the boxed version, but this remains available for purchase. EA has announced they are adding servers to address connectivity and authentication issues that have plagued the game since launch, and the downloadable version currently has a one-star rating on Amazon based on 929 customer reviews. Thanks Ant via Geek.com via Slashdot.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 8, 2013, 11:29 Creston

Saboth wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:54:
Ah well, the EA fanbois can have a blast checking every 5 minutes to see if they are allowed to play the game they just plunked down $50 for.

50 dollars? Please. $60, if you would. This is EA.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 8, 2013, 04:05 InBlack

Tom wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:07:
Remember the first Rule of Acquisition:

Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Somewhere deep in the EA tower, there is a glass case, and inside it in a golden, jewel encrusted cover, lie the rules of aquisition.

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 8, 2013, 02:32 eRe4s3r

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:24:
Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:29:
let me tell you, simulation wise this is stunning.

"People leave, economy goes down, space opens up, people come in, economy goes back up, people get mad, people leave, economy goes down" loop

Creston

Heh so they did keep somethings from SC4. Of course in SC4 it was because the broken AI coudn't figure out how to get to work.

After further testing I can say the issue here is a bug in the traffic AI, If you know how modern 3 lane intersections work you know there is at least 1 lane that goes straight through with priority (mid) and 1 lane that is the left and 1 lane that is the right way one. Both staggered to have slightly off-set signaling.

In the game these are out of whack (cars that want to go left are on the straight through lane, and these are what essentially blocks traffic especially since there is only 1 highway ramp. And since LOTS of cars go in and out at 150k over that ramp the entire near ramp traffic (And all streets to and from the main road) break down to a standstill. This is particularly bad because all other important cars (firetrucks, dumptrucks..) get stuck there too....

Basically, traffic AI is REALLY dumb But even at 150k my city was stable and made nearly half a million per "day" (with exports of LOADS of processors) I think I could have fixed the issue with a train connection though. Sadly the city I played didn't have one

From what I can tell this game direly needs roundabouts and 1-way streets... or some seriously smarter traffic AI..

But I consider this a challenge, with 150k people you need to completely rebuild your entire city infrastructure. Or better yet, give a new city a few million credits to build a good infrastructure layout first. The starting funds are not enough to do this....

By the way, the real issue this game has is not traffic it's that the region servers lag behind the city simulation nearly 3 hours! And THIS is what causes ALL those issues I think...

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 02:50.

34. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 21:34 Dev

jimnms wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 20:16:
At least they're not losing money due to piracy.
Yeah thats way more important than losing money from having your game pulled from the biggest online retailer.

33. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 20:22 PropheT

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:28:
Interesting. Did they stop selling WoW when it was blowing up after the launch?

Actually didn't WOW put a temporary hold on new accounts, when it first launched, due to huge demand? I thought they did, but I'm not finding the Blue's article on it...

They did stop selling the retail box for a short period of time, but that wasn't until a few months after it actually released (~3 if I recall, I forget). Guild Wars 2 did the same thing last year.

32. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 20:16 jimnms

At least they're not losing money due to piracy.  

MeanJim on Steam

31. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 20:09 NKD

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:45:
I find your assumption flawed, you're assuming they had enough capacity to meet any reasonable demand at all, let alone whatever numbers you're thinking of.

Well yeah I am assuming some basic level of competence. That could be a mistake though, now that I think about it. It's hard to see how they could have not seen this coming.

They had access to server load data from their testing. They knew what kind of infrastructure was required for X number of users. They had access to their pre-order numbers, which also give you a pretty accurate ballpark of what your total first week sales are going to be. At that point you just need to figure out what percentage of those users are going to absolutely refuse to stop hammering your servers to get in, and what percentage of those users are going to be doing marathon Mayoring as soon as they do get in.

What's the excuse here? Simcity isn't a surprise hit. It was a heavily marketed project with a good budget. They had to have known it was going to sell like weed before a Snoop Dogg concert.

My gut feeling is that whoever did their projections for concurrency at launch way low-balled it. Knowing how many sales isn't as important as knowing "How many people are going to forgo sleep and mash the login button for 3 days straight." And they either fucked that up, or some guy in charge of doing something about that data decided to pinch a few pennies.

I guess we'll never know. I don't expect a company to have no queues and perfectly smooth login process in the first 6-12 hours of an online game. But after 3 days with virtually no improvement, the excuses run out. 3 days is more than enough time to react to any unexpected server load even for the biggest of triple A titles.

Games like WoW get a pass, they were pioneers in a way, but we've had 9 years since then to learn how to launch a high-demand online game. Excuses wear very very thin now.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

30. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:58 nin

Actually didn't WOW put a temporary hold on new accounts, when it first launched, due to huge demand? I thought they did, but I'm not finding the Blue's article on it...

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 20:03.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:45 Redmask

No but this isn't an MMO so it's probably not generating the same level of complaints to customer service.

Huh. After 3 days people haven't mustered up enough genuine rage to stop hammering the servers in a desperate attempt to play? If people were actually "quitting" the game in any significant number, the game would be playable due to decreased server load.

I find your assumption flawed, you're assuming they had enough capacity to meet any reasonable demand at all, let alone whatever numbers you're thinking of.

28. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:32 NKD

Huh. After 3 days people haven't mustered up enough genuine rage to stop hammering the servers in a desperate attempt to play? If people were actually "quitting" the game in any significant number, the game would be playable due to decreased server load.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:28 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:24 Yosemite Sam

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:42:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:29:
let me tell you, simulation wise this is stunning.

"People leave, economy goes down, space opens up, people come in, economy goes back up, people get mad, people leave, economy goes down" loop

Creston

Heh so they did keep somethings from SC4. Of course in SC4 it was because the broken AI coudn't figure out how to get to work.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

25. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:16 jdreyer

I'm going to stick with my old reliable Sim City 4 and mods.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:14 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:09:
hehe They can always fix that later..

They will! On April 28th, they will announce the "Big Cities DLC!" for a mere $14.99!

Creston

Priceless....er....14.99.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:07 Tom

Remember the first Rule of Acquisition:

Once you have their money, you never give it back.

22. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:02 Dev

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:16:
They refused refunds too!
After offering refunds for people on their forums. Most digital games aren't refundable. It wouldn't look so bad if they hadn't actually OFFERED refunds then broke their word.

21. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 19:02 Redmask

Julio wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:56:
Microtransaction to start each game! Why waste the opportunity EA.

Don't joke, everything is on the table where EA is concerned.

20. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 18:56 Julio

Microtransaction to start each game! Why waste the opportunity EA.  

19. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 18:54 Saboth

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:16:
I can't believe people still defend these guys, what more evidence do you need? Do you want all of your games to have MMO style launch problems in the future? They refused refunds too!

What's everyone talking about? I'm not having any problem at all. Oh wait, that's because EA does not get my money anymore, along with Blizzard, and Ubisoft. Giants of the industry that have decided to punish paying customers with online-only single player games that require logins and accounts. Ah well, the EA fanbois can have a blast checking every 5 minutes to see if they are allowed to play the game they just plunked down $50 for.

18. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 18:47 WyldKat

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:09:
hehe They can always fix that later..

They will! On April 28th, they will announce the "Big Cities DLC!" for a mere $14.99!

Creston

I think you're giving them too much credit. It will be a full priced expansion at $39.99.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo