Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound

The GeForce Forums have a statement from NVIDIA about how they are working "as quickly as possible" to address performance and stability issues being reported when playing the new Tomb Raider game on their hardware (thanks HARDOCP). Here's word:

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 8, 2013, 11:42 Xero

I think anyone complaining about the QTE in the game are on a bandwagon that they apparently heard the game had them in it. Obviously without trying the game first to know that there are hardly any after getting out of the first 15 minutes of the game...
Once again, awesome game, and zero stability/crashes thus far. 560GTX here...

Currently playing: Skyrim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 8, 2013, 07:18 theyarecomingforyou

Jivaro wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:58:
As for the QTEs...I think you have to be bothered by the very existence of QTEs to be bothered by them in this game. They are incredibly simple and get further and further apart as you progress through the game. I am only 52% through the game (according to the save game) and I have been averaging only like 1 an hour for the last 8 hours of game time. The first couple hours of the game though it seemed like their were quite a few. I don't know if there really were or if it was just that they stood out more because I hadn't quite gotten a grip on the QTE system and thus had to redo the first couple of them a few times each.
The problem with QTEs is that they ruin immersion by displaying a big button prompt and by taking control away from your character for that scene. Can you imagine playing Half-Life and having a headcrab jump onto your head and a massive prompt appear saying "Press E"? No, of course not. I wasn't a particular fan of them in FC3 either.

The other issue is the button bashing. Having UI elements appear to give you a progress of your button bashing is distracting and again diminishes immersion, as does the Surival Instinct. Krovven suggested that Survival Instinct is similar to Arkham Asylum and while the functionality is somewhat similar I disagreed because in Arkham it was actually contextual (i.e. Batman has a suit that has that ability) - in TR it's simply a transparent gameplay mechanism designed to help you when your stuck.

Does any of this ruin the game? Of course not. But I don't like the implementation in TR. Overall I'm still having a blast, but now that I'm further into the game the performance is starting to become sketchy (framerate drops to 45fps) - nVidia needs to get out these drivers ASAP.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

42. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 8, 2013, 00:59 born2expire

Im now 60% into the game (according to my saves) and yeah there isn't too many QTE's anymore and Im quite enjoying the game. Just the first hour or so had so many QTE's, but as people have been saying they go away further into the game.  

41. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 17:43 Quinn

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:31:
First time in a long time I remember nvidia having serious issues at a launch of a game. Most of the time its ATI, especially with their crossfire stuff (which can take weeks or months after release for them to get around releasing a driver to support).

The only real issue I seem to have is with the ultra hair thing and ONLY on extreme close-up. Driver also stopped functioning once, which is a common issue with my new rig. I finally dived into my registry and changed it so that the TDR function won't execute after a 2 sec lock-up but a 7 sec lock-up. This seems to have fixed that issue forever.

For some reason, after about an hour of gaming, some heavy performance games cause my Lightning GTX680 to lock-up for no more than 2 secons.. and only once. Something tells me it has something to do with the memory, or maybe the voltage.. although I have a 720W PSU which should be enough since I don't have SLI. Anyway TDR manipulation fixed it. Still sucks that it happens though.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

40. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 17:42 Cutter

It's not a 'tomb-er!'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

39. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 17:35 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:03:

ChestFX would sell so many games. Why is AMD wasting its time with hair??

Creston
Nudity bad! Killing good!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 17:31 Dev

First time in a long time I remember nvidia having serious issues at a launch of a game. Most of the time its ATI, especially with their crossfire stuff (which can take weeks or months after release for them to get around releasing a driver to support).  

37. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 17:03 Creston

ChandlerL wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:45:
Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 11:47:
But will it fix Lara's boob hair jiggle?

Creston

ChestFX in upcoming patch. semi-confirmed rumor.

ChestFX would sell so many games. Why is AMD wasting its time with hair??

Creston

36. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 16:55 RollinThundr

Jivaro wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:58:
Love the game. Have a 6xx series Nvidia card on Ultra and the only issue I am having is that her hair keeps changing color from brown to black. Not flickering, but for extended periods of time, usually in odd lighting with a lot of shadows. No crashes at all. Of course, now that I have bragged....I will now go turn the game on and have it promptly blow up my computer.

As for the QTEs...I think you have to be bothered by the very existence of QTEs to be bothered by them in this game. They are incredibly simple and get further and further apart as you progress through the game. I am only 52% through the game (according to the save game) and I have been averaging only like 1 an hour for the last 8 hours of game time. The first couple hours of the game though it seemed like their were quite a few. I don't know if there really were or if it was just that they stood out more because I hadn't quite gotten a grip on the QTE system and thus had to redo the first couple of them a few times each.

The knock on the size of the tombs is something I would agree with generally speaking but I have been looking at it as a design necessity. I mean, the story line is hectic and it would seem a bit odd if Lara took an extended period of time to go explore some random tomb given what is going on in with the plot. (I know we are all about to die..but Sam...SHINY!!! Be back in a few hours!) I am going to let the devs off the hook provided the next game offers compensation by including ridiculously huge tombs.

Overall, the game is as good, if not better, then I hoped. So glad this isn't the horrible mess that some folks were predicting.

Well said Jivaro, I am enjoying the hell out of it and I generally hate platforming type of games but everything in this game is so silky smooth from jumping to animations to combat, it's been a very fun game so far about 20% in or so.

35. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 16:26 Jivaro

SlimRam wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:14:
I REFUSE to get this game until the Nude Mod comes out, period! *Stomps foot down*

I know you are joking but.....you won't have to wait long for a nude patch. There is already a terrible "see through shirt" version available. I imagine it uses something like Texmod.

Of course, we all knew this would happen. It wouldn't be a Tomb Raider game without a nude patch.

34. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 16:14 SlimRam

ChandlerL wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:45:

Creston

I REFUSE to get this game until the Nude Mod comes out, period! *Stomps foot down*

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

Han Solo: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...

Luke: No. If ANYONE is nailing my sister, it's going to be ME!

33. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 16:04 vacs

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:09:
Obviously not working for Nvidia or Nixes (the team who did the port) who knows what build they got and when? I highly doubt however Nvidia would want to give AMD a free hand up by not making sure a big AAA release like TR is, runs well on their hardware. And with all the fuss about ATI and TressFX hair bullshit, I wouldn't be shocked if they worked closer with ATI than Nvidia on this particular sku.

That's precisely the feeling I got too. It looks like ATI was working way closer with the studio than nvidia did and most probably even taking care that nvidia would not receive the latest builds, to make them look bad since TressFX is an AMD technology.

Now nvidia is playing catch up with the optimizations but luckily for them, TressFX is not the big revolution AMD wants it too be and in a few weeks performance will again be even between nvidia and AMD... but as long as the hair is gliding 5 inches above Lara skin, I wil not even dare to enable this technology, it looks fake and cheap for the moment.

To be fair, nvidia played this trick a few times with AMD/ATI in the old days, forcing a developer to use nvidia technology, just to make the competition look worse (Farcr HDR patch, physx, ultrashadow, etc...)

32. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:58 Jivaro

Love the game. Have a 6xx series Nvidia card on Ultra and the only issue I am having is that her hair keeps changing color from brown to black. Not flickering, but for extended periods of time, usually in odd lighting with a lot of shadows. No crashes at all. Of course, now that I have bragged....I will now go turn the game on and have it promptly blow up my computer.

The knock on the size of the tombs is something I would agree with generally speaking but I have been looking at it as a design necessity. I mean, the story line is hectic and it would seem a bit odd if Lara took an extended period of time to go explore some random tomb given what is going on in with the plot. (I know we are all about to die..but Sam...SHINY!!! Be back in a few hours!) I am going to let the devs off the hook provided the next game offers compensation by including ridiculously huge tombs.

Overall, the game is as good, if not better, then I hoped. So glad this isn't the horrible mess that some folks were predicting.

31. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:47 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 10:46:
It's a two-way thing. The developer should design the game for the latest drivers they have available to them but manufacturers should be given access to final code to allow them to make specific optimisations. Apparently the new nVidia drivers have more problems than the previous version, so it's hard to say for certain who is most responsible for the situation.

At the end of the day developers and manufacturers should work together to give customers the best possible experience. That clearly didn't happen with this game.

Agreed.

That's why I don't get the apology from nVidia. The developers should have targeted the latest, or just previous to the latest drivers for a STABLE release... then any optimizations by nVidia or AMD are a bonus.

/shrug

30. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:45 ChandlerL

Creston

29. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:44 jacobvandy

wtf_man wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 10:15:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:51:
nVidia and AMD should both be given the final code as soon as the game goes gold so they can release performance drivers to coincide with release.

To me, this is ass backwards.

nVidia and AMD shouldn't have to adjust drivers for new games. New games need to be developed for the latest drivers released. Period.

Uh... no.

If that happened, the only new drivers you would see are for supporting new hardware and the features that come with them, AND you would be limiting what game developers can do based on what existing tech allows. Doesn't that sound familiar to you?

I know that sometimes they get a little annoying with bi-weekly beta driver releases when there are lots of new games coming out, plus instances like this where the optimizations come a bit late (which is an entirely purposeful screw-job coming out of the CD/AMD partnership). But having the hardware company keep up with optimizations for new games on a case by case basis, is a FAR better option than attempting the impossible of creating an adequate foundation for all games released during that generation of hardware.

28. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:09 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 14:53:
Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 11:55:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 11:37:
I'm calling bullshit. What kind of last minute change could cause all these issues? I'm thinking that their was a major screw up. Either CD sent them a very old version to optimize, or Nvidia just didn't bother until now to check it out.

Okay, so now you’re a resident expert and actually work at NVidia and know without a doubt that they are lying to us? So tell me, what are the winning numbers in this weekend’s lottery?

C'mon Darks, you don't smell a rotten fish here? Someone screwed up, and now they're covering for it. Either CD didn't supply Nvidia, or Nvidia got it, but put it off.

Obviously not working for Nvidia or Nixes (the team who did the port) who knows what build they got and when? I highly doubt however Nvidia would want to give AMD a free hand up by not making sure a big AAA release like TR is, runs well on their hardware. And with all the fuss about ATI and TressFX hair bullshit, I wouldn't be shocked if they worked closer with ATI than Nvidia on this particular sku.

27. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:07 wasteoid

I'm calling bullshit. What kind of last minute change could cause all these issues? I'm thinking that their was a major screw up. Either CD sent them a very old version to optimize, or Nvidia just didn't bother until now to check it out.

Okay, so now you’re a resident expert and actually work at NVidia and know without a doubt that they are lying to us? So tell me, what are the winning numbers in this weekend’s lottery?

4 8 15 16 23 42

26. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 14:53 jdreyer

C'mon Darks, you don't smell a rotten fish here? Someone screwed up, and now they're covering for it. Either CD didn't supply Nvidia, or Nvidia got it, but put it off.

25. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 14:50 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:22:
I dunno, I'm fine with how QTE's are used here and I generally don't like them either. They usually are involved with a puzzle to progress further anyway, can't say I've been bothered by them in TR though. YMMV.

Yeah, I don't typically like them, but when they're used sparingly and in context, I have no problem. For example, I didn't mind them in the COD:MW2 single player.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo