Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Adding Servers

The EA Forums have word that EA is planning on increasing server capacity in SimCity to help ease the virtual urban congestion the urban planning reboot has suffered since launch. Here's word:

This has been an exciting and challenging week for the team here at Maxis, the culmination years of planning and development. We have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and enthusiasm from our fans which has made it even more upsetting for us that technical issues have become more prominent in the last 24 hours. We are hitting a number of problems with our server architecture which has seen players encountering bugs and long wait times to enter servers. This is, obviously, not the situation we wanted for our launch week and we want you to know that we are putting everything we have at resolving these issues.

What we are doing is deploying more servers over the coming two days which will alleviate many of the ongoing issues. We are also paying close attention to all the bug reports we are receiving from our fans. We’ve already pushed several updates in the last few days. Our live ops team is working 24/7 to resolve issues and ensure that bug fixes roll into the game as quickly as possible.

While the ongoing issues are troubling, we can also see that players are really enjoying the game. In a single 24 hour period, there were more than 38 million buildings plopped down, nearly 7 and a half million kilometers of roads laid down, 18+ million fires started and (my favorite fact) over 40 million pipes filled up with poop.

This team has put everything into this game and won’t stop until things are smooth. We ask our fans to be patient as our team works diligently to fix the issues. We share your passion for SimCity and thank you for your support and understanding.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 21:58 Dev

BTW, I think a lot of weirdness reviewers/players are experiences (like cities saying they are out of water when they have way more than they need), and the rebounding thing where a city bounces between two extremes is due to server issues.
I think the game has to contact the server every few seconds/minutes to do some sorta processing of your city (such as hey, he's got high water supplies, does he actually get to have the buildings marked as supplied?) and when those requests are delayed or lost, then it can't verify they are supplied.
It would be pretty stupid to do something like that, since it adds to server load and should be done on the client end. But, they likely did it because they either didn't think it through, or were trying to do this as some form of online integrated DRM thing so that the online requirement couldn't easily be hacked out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 21:48 Dev

the "manual" that pops up when you push the "Game Manual" button on the Options UI isn't even working right now, but when it is it's just a two-page PDF of default keybindings. The Help Center button, right now, is doing nothing at all, but earlier it just took me to the forums.
[...]
This, by the way, is the third time around this 20-minute clock. Each time I think I'm getting close to playing, I'm booted back again. And this is after EA added a second server to both the US West and US East regions, both of which are at least as full as this one.
[...]
Remember: if you really want to make a game publisher sweat, tell them (over Twitter - believe me, they're listening) you're not preordering because you're concerned about launch issues. They're all about that these days.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress?page=2

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 21:54.

86. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 21:11 Prez

To think certain people actually have the stones to wonder aloud why EA is so despised by us. Yet another once-great series sunk by these morons. Yet the apologists will still no doubt keep defending them. Mystifying.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

85. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 19:19 Quboid

Well, I'm shocked - *shocked* - to report that it's horribly broken. Shocked I tell you.

They really couldn't have messed this up any worse.

- Quboid

84. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 19:07 xXBatmanXx

Julio wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:57:
I guess they're going from one to two servers now? Fire up the Vic-20!

Kluwe posted a picture of his screen. Looks like 8 servers?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

83. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 19:01 Redmask

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:53:

Oh, and don't bother joining a new server if you want to save any of your old progress. Cities don't transfer over. #brilliant

The worst part is that they could have avoided this by just letting you save on your system. Everyone knows its transparent DRM, just give up the ghost and let people save already.

82. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:57 Julio

I guess they're going from one to two servers now? Fire up the Vic-20!  

81. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:55 entr0py

The only good thing was this was extremely easy to see coming. At least they were honest enough to have a stress test a couple weeks ago so that everyone had the chance to cancel any drunken preorders they might have placed.  

80. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:53 xXBatmanXx

You guys gotta follow Kluwe on twitter.

Chris Kluwe &#8207;@ChrisWarcraft

I really enjoy the queue system of Sim City. It's not a queue to actually get in the game, it's for a "chance" to get in.

Then:

So far I've cycled through it four times, and it always bumps me back to the same 2:09 countdown. Not really a great queue system.

Then, which really surprised me. I mean....>WTF!?

Oh, and don't bother joining a new server if you want to save any of your old progress. Cities don't transfer over. #brilliant

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

79. Re: removed Mar 7, 2013, 18:50 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 17:46:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:43:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 7, 2013, 17:14.

Now I'm dying to know what Bats said.

Wasn't THAT bad.....didn't even swear.

78. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:27 Redmask

Sorry SimCity fans, a message from EA: http://i.imgur.com/Yb4Uznf.jpg

The EA defenders are looking pretty pitiful right now. Company totally fucks up launch of a singleplayer game, promises refunds, reneges on promises, says they will add more capacity and just add more downtime to the point where reviewers can't even submit copy.

The most angry EA hater couldn't even write that scenario, only EA themselves could pen that genius volume. EA absolutely is different from every other company out there, they prove it every time.

77. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:24 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 18:06:
Ghola wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:44:
I have yet to get past the no servers available screen which is right after I connect to a server. With D3, I was able to play some of the time within the first week. At this rate, I will be lucky to play SimCity before the EA turns the servers off and the game goes dark.

Well, I hate to be that guy, but ya know, ya kinda coulda seen this comin'...

Creston

So just out of curiosity and really at the very least in this case the anger seems to be justified, but were you ever planning on getting SimCity Creston? Because for someone posting over and over in this thread, I'm curious what the point is, aside from just the usual bashing.

76. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:06 Creston

Ghola wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:44:
I have yet to get past the no servers available screen which is right after I connect to a server. With D3, I was able to play some of the time within the first week. At this rate, I will be lucky to play SimCity before the EA turns the servers off and the game goes dark.

Well, I hate to be that guy, but ya know, ya kinda coulda seen this comin'...

Creston

75. Re: removed Mar 7, 2013, 17:46 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:43:
* REMOVED *

Now I'm dying to know what Bats said.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

74. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 17:43 Cutter

The review for Sim City was merely a two word review which simply read....

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

73. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 17:17 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:39:
From CNet:
CNET Editor Jeff Bakalar, assigned to review SimCity, ran into problems trying to connect at least twice a day since Tuesday: "I had planned on reviewing the game for launch -- and I'm not joking here -- I've yet to been able to even play the game. Once."

EA Solitaire.

That's a pretty futuristic version of EA's online games right there, because it seems like it actually let people IN before telling them to go fuck themselves. (Edit: I especially love the "Always Online" checkbox, and that it's greyed out. :p )

Oh EA. It truly is humorous how inept you are, especially given your "Don't worry, the international launches will go fine!" and now articles are popping up everywhere from people in different countries who, surprise surprise, can't get into the game they PAID YOU FOR.

Keep supporting always-on DRM, fellas. I hope it takes EA a fucking year to fix this.

(In other news, PC Gamer has already stated that they wouldn't let the always-on DRM bullshit "interfere" with their paycheck review of the game.)

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 17:27.

72. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 17:09 Ghola

This will be the last preorder for an EA game ever. I will now only purchase EA games when they are $20 or less or better yet...used...so they don't see a dime of my money.  

71. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 17:01 D4rkKnight

Check out IGN's latest update at the bottom of their review in progress page:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress

Hilarious

70. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 16:44 Ghola

69. removed Mar 7, 2013, 16:43 xXBatmanXx

* REMOVED *

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo