Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment

Polygon has a follow-up from EA on recent comments that were widely taken to mean they were building microtransactions into all their games. They quote EA's Blake Jorgensen speaking today at a Wedbush Technology Conference in New York City. "I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have micro-transactions in our games' and the community read that to mean all our games, and that's really not true," he said. "All of our mobile games will have micro-transactions in them, because almost all of them are going to a world where they are play for free." Technically, the quote at the time was: "We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way," but now the point is clarified.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 22:30 Verno

You're on ignore Thunder, you used up all of your credit with me, sayonara.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 19:09 Julio

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 16:44:
I'm sorry but I don't see the massive EA hate at EvilAvatar, or RPS or half the other game sites.
Those sites are not even close to as good as this one, so not a surprise.

I really don't understand why you care so much or why it bothers you if some brodude buys a player upgrade in madden with cash or buys a gun in deadspace 3?

Two reasons:
1) Essential game elements get stripped out of the product and sold as microtransaction/DLCs. So we lose out on content or have to pay more.
2) For anything multiplayer, it becomes pay-to-win. Which takes all the skill out of gaming.

Why not just admit it's just another excuse for you guys to do what you do best, bitch.

Well, if EA did the right thing they'd get credit not complaints. Glad to hear we're good at bitching about EA messing up time and time again.

28. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 16:44 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:24:
Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 14:03:
Really, EA, you should just stop talking. Everything you say is stupid, it's followed a day later by a hasty and desperate attempt to backtrack because everyone called you on your fucking bullshit, and it just makes you look like a four year old with a severe mental handicap

Yep, it's funny how EA is always on the wrong side of public opinion. When a problem keeps happening over and over you have to ask whats the common denominator? EA. Not Ubisoft, not Activision, not Valve, it's always EA. Not just this site either, its a pretty common thing to see on most sites, even the console boards. I think people are pretty fair and accurate in calling them out for it all the time, its just checks and balances for their silliness.

I'm sorry but I don't see the massive EA hate at EvilAvatar, or RPS or half the other game sites. Again you guys don't tend to read that I don't like a lot of what they do either, thing is they all do the same thing. It'd be one thing to be riled over MT's if they were thrown in your face. They're not, they're certainly there, especially in their sports titles but you never see them if you don't want to. I really don't understand why you care so much or why it bothers you if some brodude buys a player upgrade in madden with cash or buys a gun in deadspace 3? What does it personally do to harm you or anyone playing the titles used as examples when they don't have to ever buy anything aside from a copy of the game itself?

Why not just admit it's just another excuse for you guys to do what you do best, bitch.

EA could also support a GLBT discussion event and get blasted for doing that too as Cutter so nicely did in that thread. I'm sure EA could cure cancer or aids and you guys would still rain hate.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2013, 16:50.

27. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 15:24 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 14:03:
Really, EA, you should just stop talking. Everything you say is stupid, it's followed a day later by a hasty and desperate attempt to backtrack because everyone called you on your fucking bullshit, and it just makes you look like a four year old with a severe mental handicap

Yep, it's funny how EA is always on the wrong side of public opinion. When a problem keeps happening over and over you have to ask whats the common denominator? EA. Not Ubisoft, not Activision, not Valve, it's always EA. Not just this site either, its a pretty common thing to see on most sites, even the console boards. I think people are pretty fair and accurate in calling them out for it all the time, its just checks and balances for their silliness.

26. removed Mar 7, 2013, 14:17 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 7, 2013, 17:19.

25. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 14:03 Creston

Really, EA, you should just stop talking. Everything you say is stupid, it's followed a day later by a hasty and desperate attempt to backtrack because everyone called you on your fucking bullshit, and it just makes you look like a four year old with a severe mental handicap.

Just tell all these idiot "executives" that you have working for you to either shut the fuck up, at all times, or to stop snorting so much fucking coke in the morning. Because they seem actively incapable of portraying even a single shred of common sense.

Creston

24. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 12:00 Redmask

TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 11:26:

I'm far from an EA fanboy

Bullshit. You pop up in every EA thread, I haven't even been here that long and you're already dangerously close to ignore list status for this repetitive shit.

Name me one AAA release in the last year that doesn't have either DLC or MT's.

One? I could name a hundred, this is pointless, there were hundreds of games released in 2012 across a dozen different platforms. How about you actually support your ignorant position and list off 'almost every game' that has microtransactions. You're the one making claims here. Not DLC, nice try there, microtransactions. You don't even know the concepts you're trying to judge, unbelievable.

Don't you fucking dare tell me or anyone else what we can bitch about, that's some thoughtpolice wannabe trash.

http://i.imgur.com/Yb4Uznf.jpg

23. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 11:26 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 10:42:
TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 10:32:
Ubisoft titles never have MT's? How bout Activision? Is someone from EA holding a gun to your head making you buy MT's in Dead Space 3?
Almost every game has dlc or some form of microtransactions now, regardless of publisher, some of it even Day 1 on the disk dlc, go bitch at activision, Take Two, Ubisoft, Deep Silver etc etc. Oh what's that? You people only bitch when it's EA because it's the popular thing to do? Way to be part of the crowd!

By all means bitch away, but be consistent about it.
Every publisher in the industry is shitty

Now it's 'almost every game', keep shifting those goalposts there. No it's not even close to 'almost every game' released has microtransactions, in fact it's exactly the opposite. Most games do not have microtransactions, you don't even know what they are if you believe that.

Who says I don't bitch about other companies doing it though? Who says everyone doesn't? If every publisher is shitty including EA then I can still bitch about EA, did you even stop to use your brain before saying that? Who the fuck made you the judge of what people are allowed to bitch about anyway? Let's see you support any of this shit with some facts, otherwise it's just fanboy crap from someone with a long history of it.

I'm far from an EA fanboy, I hate what they did to Bioware not that it wasn't coming with or without EA involvement. Obviously people have a right to bitch about whatever they want, it just gets old when every day it's the same people bitching about the same tired old thing and you call me a broken record for pointing it out.

Name me one AAA release in the last year that doesn't have either DLC or MT's.

22. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 10:42 Redmask

TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 10:32:
Ubisoft titles never have MT's? How bout Activision? Is someone from EA holding a gun to your head making you buy MT's in Dead Space 3?
Almost every game has dlc or some form of microtransactions now, regardless of publisher, some of it even Day 1 on the disk dlc, go bitch at activision, Take Two, Ubisoft, Deep Silver etc etc. Oh what's that? You people only bitch when it's EA because it's the popular thing to do? Way to be part of the crowd!

Now it's 'almost every game', keep shifting those goalposts there. No it's not even close to 'almost every game' released has microtransactions, in fact it's exactly the opposite. Most games do not have microtransactions, you don't even know what they are if you believe that.

Who says I don't bitch about other companies doing it though? Who says everyone doesn't? If every publisher is shitty including EA then I can still bitch about EA, did you even stop to use your brain before saying that? Who the fuck made you the judge of what people are allowed to bitch about anyway? Let's see you support any of this shit with some facts, otherwise it's just fanboy crap from someone with a long history of it.

21. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 10:32 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:33:
TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:18:
The reality is every publisher is doing the same thing. That's the fucking reality of it. Does that mean I like it? Hell no, but pretending EA is the only publisher doing it is about as Herp derp as you can get. Though that's pretty par for the course round here.

No, the reality is that your head is stuck up EAs buttocks. Everyone else is doing it? EVERYONE? Ok so I can go back to last year and see microtransactions in every single game released, shit no I can't because it turns out that's a complete fabrication. Where are all of these microtransactions? Oh it turns out only the shitty companies are doing a lot of it right now, funny how that's exactly what people were complaining about before you ignorantly bleated unfounded nonsense.

20. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 10:29 wtf_man

Well... the big publishers have become mostly irrelevant to me.

Other than a FEW major titles that I'm looking forward to (Watch Dogs, Thief, etc.)... I have 3 kickstarter projects backed and there are several I haven't backed but will purchase after release... and I don't have to worry about DRM, Consolitus Porting, nor some fucked up data mining client running in the background (Steam, Origin, UPlay) even in "offline mode".

19. The Truth Mar 7, 2013, 10:02 Tim Collins

Micro transactions are a straight up scourge on the game industry.  

18. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 09:33 Redmask

TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:18:
The reality is every publisher is doing the same thing. That's the fucking reality of it. Does that mean I like it? Hell no, but pretending EA is the only publisher doing it is about as Herp derp as you can get. Though that's pretty par for the course round here.

No, the reality is that your head is stuck up EAs buttocks. Everyone else is doing it? EVERYONE? Ok so I can go back to last year and see microtransactions in every single game released, shit no I can't because it turns out that's a complete fabrication. Where are all of these microtransactions? Oh it turns out only the shitty companies are doing a lot of it right now, funny how that's exactly what people were complaining about before you ignorantly bleated unfounded nonsense.

17. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 09:18 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 07:07:
TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:59:
ignorant shilling

So wait, he just said they aren't doing it in all games but you know something he doesn't? We're trusting EA or not? The reality is that you just want to make excuses for EA which is your little hobby around here. Microtransactions in singleplayer games are not an industry necessity, plenty of games manage to succeed without them. If you removed your head from EAs buttocks for a few minutes, your sense of smell would clear right up.

16. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 08:40 Verno

Julio wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 06:04:
InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 04:05:
Hang on dont we want microtransactions in all of our games? We want this right?

One of their statements is false, I'm going to guess that we'll see microtransactions in everything.

Exactly. EA was going to put microtransactions in everything whether its warranted financially or not. Literally nothing is sacred to EA when it comes to making a buck.

15. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 07:19 Beamer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:12:
There's a name for this - I forget what it's called now.. Basically you run some crap idea to the press, wait for a reaction from the public, and if it isn't favorable you say it was a misunderstanding all along.

There's a variant where you run your really crap idea out to the press with a backup in line, wait for the bad reaction, and run your (still) crap secondary idea out as an improvement. Then you wait for everyone to talk about how much you listen to their needs.

Standard PR BS 101... It's in every politician's playbook too.

This isn't the case of that.
EA knows there's a segment of gamer that hates this. They just think that that segment is a very local minority.

Nothing has proven or disproven that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 07:07 Redmask

TrollingDunder wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:59:
ignorant shilling

So wait, he just said they aren't doing it in all games but you know something he doesn't? We're trusting EA or not? The reality is that you just want to make excuses for EA which is your little hobby around here. Microtransactions in singleplayer games are not an industry necessity, plenty of games manage to succeed without them. If you removed your head from EAs buttocks for a few minutes, your sense of smell would clear right up.

13. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 06:04 Julio

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 04:05:

One of their statements is false, I'm going to guess that we'll see microtransactions in everything.

12. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 04:05 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 7, 2013, 00:54 Denthor

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:59:
People just need to face facts that games and their marketing budgets costs millions now. Publishers have shareholders to answer to, hence the idea of titles that have DLC )just about all of them) or additional content in one form or another.

Yes it sucks, but that's the reality of the games industry today.

It's the publishers driving it that way tho. EA just wants the next CoD or WoW - they're outliers.... NVM just noticed who it was 'RollinThundr' the corporate shill

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo