Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Another BF2142 Sequel Hint?

A new launch trailer for the End Game DLC for Battlefield 3 celebrates the PS3 premium release of this new content for DICE's military shooter sequel (coming to Premium Windows subs on March 12th and to other Windows users on March 26th). There's also a new user created gameplay video on Gameranx (via PCGamesN/VG247) noting an Easter egg in the DLC, as someone with sharp eyes spotted a drone with a Battlefield 2142 faction logo on it, which, coupled with the previous discovery of a "2143" scrawled on a wall has re-sparked speculation about the possibilities of an eventual sequel to Battlefield 2142, the sci-fi installment in series.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 7, 2013, 14:48 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:20:
Makes me wonder what price they are aiming for this time.
With BF3 they effectively made people (or at least the stupid early adopters) buy the game twice, once the original version and then premium.
They can't possibly repeat that lame trick now, can they? So are they going to only sell a premium version of 2143 for $80 - $100 and no more regular or limited versions? Do they seriously believe people are going to be fucking dumb enough to repeat the mistake of buying a non-premium version?

Should be interesting to see how pricing for the next installment will play out...

dude...

BF1942 (BF1) + all expansions = $110

BF2 + all expansions = $110

BF3 + all expansions = $110

if anything, adjusting for inflation, we're getting alot more value with BF3, also more xpacks and more maps...

amazing how people don't know their history...

*the moar you know*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 23:48 siapnar

EA should just release a map editor for BF3 that's like 10 bucks. I'd buy it and I'm sure a ton of other people would too.

Then again, this prolongs the life of their game, which they DEFINITELY don't want!

I also don't see the concern over consolization of upcoming titles, especially EA, after seeing how well BF3 runs, looks and feels as a PC gamer.

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:59:
I totally disagree, the ability to communicate effectively with people is crucial for teamwork. I don't really care if Johnny Halo wants to order everyone around, its easy to include ignore options, I just want the ability to send and receive contextual warning and coordination. The in-game wheel doesn't even come close to cutting it. BF3 has more than enough twitch that I can't stop to warn people in text because events have already happened. You can't easily make adhoc mumble parties with random strangers, it's fine to say use your own VOIP when playing with friends but playing with friends isn't always an option.
It would be nice to have VOIP in just your squad, or a proximity VOIP where you can only hear people within 40 feet in conquest and 10 ft in TDM, or something.

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:31:
and anyone here is free to add me, i play BF3 almost nightly, i don't play competitively anymore but i still enjoy pwning up. was #21 in the world for score per minute at one point. name's deejayslick
Added, name's FiLTHY

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2013, 23:54.

I have projectile dysfunction.

37. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 22:52 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 22:46:
Did you miss all the news where the PS4 and Xbox720 are being made on x86 AMD processors??? the PC is the lead platform now, get with the knowledge brah. no more splitting resources making 3 different versions of each game, now there's only 1 version.

No, there will still be deployment issues across platforms. You can't just recompile them and be done with it, there are a lot of per system optimizations and functions that have to be addressed. Some engines will do that stuff for people but Frostbite isn't built for that kind of deployment and probably won't be for some time.

36. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 22:46 Slick

Draugr wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:48:
Mumble is awesome, the positional audio is really helpful for games like bf3.
I agree, people complaining about this stuff apparently don't understand the reason there is not a lot of work put into it is because there are 3rd party solutions that are arguably better, and the people who really demand voip quality are already using these solutions anyway. - I don't think everyone having the ability to yell at everyone else in game over voip by default also isn't going to fix the lack of teamwork in bf3.

absolutely, mumble IS awsome! i have my own server just for my RL friends to come jam on, and my clan 20ID uses mumble too, the latency is just non-existant. you say: "BEHIND YOU!" and they actually have time to turn around and own them. it's like using a telephone. Instant.

I cringe when people ask me to join their vent servers, and then give me a hard time for trying to get them on my mumble server. "what's so good about mumble fanboi?" well... for one, there isn't a 1 second delay for sending and receiving any voice command everytime i key down... this particularly annoys me because it results in people talking over eachother constantly because you can't tell that the other person has started talking already... boooo. And to be fiar, i thin the new TS3 algorithm is pretty good, vent is by far the worst, mumble the best.

Caslon wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:56:
Keep in mind whatever BF2142 was to us PC gamers, EA will find a way to force it ported to PC from a console version.

Did you miss all the news where the PS4 and Xbox720 are being made on x86 AMD processors??? the PC is the lead platform now, get with the knowledge brah. no more splitting resources making 3 different versions of each game, now there's only 1 version. no more ports. although we'll still potentiall suffer from "ports" in the sense of crappy console controls not properly done for th ePC, this is the only real danger now. the code itself is going to be indentical for all 3 platforms. new golden age of PC gaming is upon us. just watch.

35. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 22:34 entr0py

Caslon wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:56:
Keep in mind whatever BF2142 was to us PC gamers, EA will find a way to force it ported to PC from a console version.

Right like with Battlefield 3 how we had to endure all those console ported 64 player maps and jet combat. That sucked. And the engine was clearly designed for the xbox 360 circa 2005.

34. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 18:56 Caslon

33. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 18:48 Morgan19

deqer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:07:
Oh look, it's one of the sheeple.

Sad.

Anyways,

Or, you know, I've enjoyed playing 2142/BC2/BF3 over the years and would love to see 2143 produced instead of knee-jerking poopooing all of Battlefield. Crazy notion, eh?

32. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 18:20 CJ_Parker

Makes me wonder what price they are aiming for this time.
With BF3 they effectively made people (or at least the stupid early adopters) buy the game twice, once the original version and then premium.
They can't possibly repeat that lame trick now, can they? So are they going to only sell a premium version of 2143 for $80 - $100 and no more regular or limited versions? Do they seriously believe people are going to be fucking dumb enough to repeat the mistake of buying a non-premium version?

Should be interesting to see how pricing for the next installment will play out...

31. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 18:07 deqer

Morgan19 wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:15:
YES. ASAP.
Oh look, it's one of the sheeple.

Sad.

Anyways,

Although I would play a new BF2142 game, we all know it will be tainted by EA's ownership. It will be DRM-driven, and require Origin.

Sorry. The way BF2142 died so quickly, I just can't see myself supporting EA on this one. Bye.

In fact, I'm willing to go back to BF2142, because really, that was just fine and I didn't ask for something new or more. All you have to do is launch a server and ban the helicopter trolls, and your server will survive.

30. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 17:51 Rea1One

Well some games has to take the spot in between modern day battlefield releases now that MOH is off the rotation list, I reckon 2143 might come out after BF4.  

29. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 17:17 Caslon

I thought BF2142 was kinda cool while it lasted on my pc.  

28. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 15:21 NegaDeath

I'd like to see Titan mode come back. Assuming they fix the lag issues 2142 had with Titans when they move.  

27. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 15:06 DangerDog

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:40:
2142 was my favorite and most-played game in the series. If there's anything that can get me back into Battlefield, it's more Titan mode.

I wish it was being announced that 2143 is actually the next Battlefield game.

BF4 is rumored to be modern shooter again though.

26. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 14:59 Verno

Draugr wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:48:
I don't think everyone having the ability to yell at everyone else in game over voip by default also isn't going to fix the lack of teamwork in bf3.

I totally disagree, the ability to communicate effectively with people is crucial for teamwork. I don't really care if Johnny Halo wants to order everyone around, its easy to include ignore options, I just want the ability to send and receive contextual warning and coordination. The in-game wheel doesn't even come close to cutting it. BF3 has more than enough twitch that I can't stop to warn people in text because events have already happened. You can't easily make adhoc mumble parties with random strangers, it's fine to say use your own VOIP when playing with friends but playing with friends isn't always an option.

I can't think of a single legit argument NOT to include it. It can always be an option enabled by default but toggleable for those that want to play in "privacy". Pretty much every other MP game these days has it for a reason.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

25. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 14:48 Draugr

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:28:
Topevoli wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:26:
Of course there will be a sequel. Its EA.

I lost interest in BF3 after getting frustrated with the lack of communication on PC. To anyone that argues in favor or no VOIP needs to play TF2 or CS:GO competitively.
name me one actual competitive clan that uses in-game voip instead of their own teamspeak, mumble or ventrilo server.

Mumble is awesome, the positional audio is really helpful for games like bf3.
I agree, people complaining about this stuff apparently don't understand the reason there is not a lot of work put into it is because there are 3rd party solutions that are arguably better, and the people who really demand voip quality are already using these solutions anyway. - I don't think everyone having the ability to yell at everyone else in game over voip by default also isn't going to fix the lack of teamwork in bf3.

24. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 14:31 Slick

and anyone here is free to add me, i play BF3 almost nightly, i don't play competitively anymore but i still enjoy pwning up. was #21 in the world for score per minute at one point. name's deejayslick  

23. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 14:28 Slick

Topevoli wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:26:
Of course there will be a sequel. Its EA.

I lost interest in BF3 after getting frustrated with the lack of communication on PC. To anyone that argues in favor or no VOIP needs to play TF2 or CS:GO competitively.

this made me lol.

name me one actual competitive clan that uses in-game voip instead of their own teamspeak, mumble or ventrilo server.

lolololololol.

you know that TS3 is free to host yourself right? and there are scores of free public servers on all 3 major voip platforms, sounds like YOU aren't connected. or sorry, did you want a CoD elite service to hold your hand for you?

22. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 13:32 Cpmartins

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:06:
Cpmartins wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:02:
Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:43:
Panickd wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:13:
On to 2143: given EA's new "we're going to monetize the shit out of every possible thing" business model, I don't think a Battlefield 2143 game would turn out all that great. In fact, quite the opposite.

I don't mind the map pack type stuff (the BF3 expansions were ok) that much but the lack of a map editor and the inconsistency in fixing problems with the game is really annoying. Other companies have demonstrated you can monetize users contributions to the game, EA is really behind the market in that regard and needs to shape up.

The problem is that, by choosing to allow monetization of user content, they are automatically choosing to give the liberty to those same players to distribute their content for free. And that, is not EA.
Doesn't always means that.
Look at Arma, they have the mod tools, players can create their own scenarios, etc., but Arma also have a bunch of game add ons and they were selling fine too.
Mod tools doesn't always means no DLC sales
For games like that however the devs and publishers better make sure the DLC is enough content and quality so that people will buy it.
Oh I agree. The problem is that, while DLC will still sell, and sell well at that, it MIGHT (This is publisher thinking btw) not sell as much as it would if there was no content at all. And that's all it takes.

21. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 13:29 mag

The brown filter made BF3 unplayable for me. I'm not color blind or anything, but it was super difficult to differentiate between people from the background.

And the character movement felt all wonky. That's a technical term.

20. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 13:06 SpectralMeat

Cpmartins wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:02:
Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:43:
Panickd wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:13:
On to 2143: given EA's new "we're going to monetize the shit out of every possible thing" business model, I don't think a Battlefield 2143 game would turn out all that great. In fact, quite the opposite.

I don't mind the map pack type stuff (the BF3 expansions were ok) that much but the lack of a map editor and the inconsistency in fixing problems with the game is really annoying. Other companies have demonstrated you can monetize users contributions to the game, EA is really behind the market in that regard and needs to shape up.

The problem is that, by choosing to allow monetization of user content, they are automatically choosing to give the liberty to those same players to distribute their content for free. And that, is not EA.
Doesn't always means that.
Look at Arma, they have the mod tools, players can create their own scenarios, etc., but Arma also have a bunch of game add ons and they were selling fine too.
Mod tools doesn't always means no DLC sales
For games like that however the devs and publishers better make sure the DLC is enough content and quality so that people will buy it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo