Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs

BAFTA announces the honorees in the 2013 British Academy Games Awards. The overall best game is Arkane's Dishonored, Far Cry 3 won for best action game, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown was named best strategy game. Indie hit Journey took a bunch of awards, and Valve's Gabe Newell was awarded his Academy Fellowship, entering their pantheon with Peter Molyneux, Shigeru Miyamoto, Nolan Bushnell, and Will Wright, which would make for an interesting Risk game.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 7, 2013, 14:41 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 14:38:
Just started playing this the other night. Played straight through and stopped at Act 4. Took me a long time, but I am a EVERYONE WILL BE WIPED THE F OFF OF THIS PLANET type of player. hehehehe

Naughty ending for you then!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 7, 2013, 14:38 xXBatmanXx

Just started playing this the other night. Played straight through and stopped at Act 4. Took me a long time, but I am a EVERYONE WILL BE WIPED THE F OFF OF THIS PLANET type of player. hehehehe  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 20:07 Acleacius

I'd probably go with Dishonored and Far Cry 3, though I can look past most of their flaws. The console weaknesses are the most difficult flaws to see past.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

19. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 17:25 DG

Damn, that reminds me I need to get around to playing Dishonored and XCOM at some point.  

18. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 16:06 Verno

Dishonored was the worst game I bought last year. The gameplay wasn't good, the story was outright bad right from the start of the game, the much talked-about influence the player has on the game is rendered irrelevant at the end if it ever existed in the first place, and so on. It wasn't great to look at, the story is forgettable and just bad throughout, the characters are terrible and the gameplay is dull.

Sure, name a game you enjoyed last year that is up for an award and I can do a similar subjective teardown of it by skirting over the elements I didn't enjoy. I can totally see being disappointed (Far Cry 3 for me) but I can still recognize good elements in the game and see why others think they're worthy of an award.

It's not hyperbole, it just seems like it could be a polarizing game where you either hate it or love it.

Fair enough, that's a good point and I see where you're coming from. That said certain posters have a history with certain games and go overboard for reasons unknown.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

17. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 16:02 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:46:
Quinn wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:03:
The best game award goes to a game that I concidered so dull, stale, boring and downright unentertaining -- while I ADORE the genre. And I speak for literally about 10 to 15 other gamers I spoke to about the game irl. Wtf. Europeans must have higher/different standards.

I can see saying it's not your cup of tea or disagreeing with it but delving into such extreme hyperbole is just outright trolling. There are a ton of great games that I simply don't care for, it does't mean they aren't good because I didn't like them. Euro game standards are just as poor as everywhere else in the world BTW Ears

Dishonored was the worst game I bought last year. The gameplay wasn't good, the story was outright bad right from the start of the game, the much talked-about influence the player has on the game is rendered irrelevant at the end if it ever existed in the first place, and so on. It wasn't great to look at, the story is forgettable and just bad throughout, the characters are terrible and the gameplay is dull.

I'm surprised there are people that really liked it. It's not just that I didn't like it, I honestly think it's a badly made game. My son warned me not to buy it, a kid who likes practically everything he plays, because he hated it and felt like he wasted his money when he bought it. It's not hyperbole, it just seems like it could be a polarizing game where you either hate it or love it.

16. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 15:46 wtf_man

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:20:
Other contenders in the "best strategy game" category included Diablo 3, Dark Souls, and Football Manager 2013. BAFTA is even worse than the VGAs...

Given how much Football Manager is at the top of the UK sales charts, and The Sims... I'm surprised one of those didn't win.

15. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 15:20 jacobvandy

Yakubs wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:43:
And it's not like XCOM won any "overall" categories -- it won "best strategy game" which is a total joke considering Crusader Kings 2 came out in 2012.

Other contenders in the "best strategy game" category included Diablo 3, Dark Souls, and Football Manager 2013. BAFTA is even worse than the VGAs...

14. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 14:55 theyarecomingforyou

I think it's a very good list. I would have liked to have seen Dear Esther win the award for Artistic Achievement but it was a bit of a long shot. XCOM:EU and FC3 deserved their respective awards and were both excellent games in their own right but I think Dishonored is the right title to take GOTY; it wasn't as impressive technically but I think the setting was very compelling and the gameplay was refreshing.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 14:46 Verno

Quinn wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:03:
The best game award goes to a game that I concidered so dull, stale, boring and downright unentertaining -- while I ADORE the genre. And I speak for literally about 10 to 15 other gamers I spoke to about the game irl. Wtf. Europeans must have higher/different standards.

I can see saying it's not your cup of tea or disagreeing with it but delving into such extreme hyperbole is just outright trolling. There are a ton of great games that I simply don't care for, it does't mean they aren't good because I didn't like them. Euro game standards are just as poor as everywhere else in the world BTW Ears

12. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 14:21 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:50:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:59:
Well, you have to agree, these are the least offensive winners in years. Actual games with substance, complexity and a "niche" are winning.

:not sure if serious:

There's nothing substantial about any of those games. They're all about as dumbed-down and streamlined as it gets. And it's not like XCOM won any "overall" categories -- it won "best strategy game" which is a total joke considering Crusader Kings 2 came out in 2012.

Serious. There are no "game of the year"-good non-streamlined games out there. It's been like that for years. But at least there's no Call of Duty or other generic recycled crowd pleasers. These winners are as complex as AAA games can get nowadays. I mean, it blows my mind that Dishonored was even considered for game of the year...

IGN gave FTL like an 8.5, too (rightfully marked down in areas like graphics and sound while getting high ratings in fun and longevity.) It's given higher ratings to other niche, indie games.

Definitely a year that niche is getting attention.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 14:03 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

10. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 11:23 Mad Max RW

Randy Pitchford making a fool of himself at 53 minutes was amusing.

http://www.twitch.tv/bafta/b/374229625

9. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 10:53 InBlack

Yakubs, it seems you missed the "least offensive" part his post. Its very clear to me what ItBurn wanted to say, and while these games are indeed streamlined compared to their 'spiritual' predecesors they are far more complex then the contenders which have been taking these prizes in the last five years or so....  

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 10:50 ItBurn

Well, you have to agree, these are the least offensive winners in years. Actual games with substance, complexity and a "niche" are winning.

There's nothing substantial about any of those games. They're all about as dumbed-down and streamlined as it gets. And it's not like XCOM won any "overall" categories -- it won "best strategy game" which is a total joke considering Crusader Kings 2 came out in 2012.

Serious. There are no "game of the year"-good non-streamlined games out there. It's been like that for years. But at least there's no Call of Duty or other generic recycled crowd pleasers. These winners are as complex as AAA games can get nowadays. I mean, it blows my mind that Dishonored was even considered for game of the year...

7. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 10:43 Yakubs

6. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 10:16 InBlack

Yeah, weird eh? I think XCOM is the single most fun Ive had with a single player game in the last year, maybe more. Its not a perfect game by any margin but its pretty good and has proven that a turn based tactical game CAN be successful, or that a game doesnt have to be DEVOID of all complexity to appeal to gamers.

I salute them and steadfastly hope for an even better sequel!

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 09:59 ItBurn

4. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 09:44 Verno

Not too many other contenders, I can see it winning, particularly for being a purely original entry which takes some doing these days. Far Cry 3 was the only other real standout of last year and it fizzled partway through due to poor balancing and pacing. XCOM was solid but I'm not sure I'd give it a GOTY.

The Walking Dead was pretty great too despite not being much of a traditional game.

The consoles had some good stuff but most of it is slipping my mind.

3. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 09:19 nin

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:12:
XCOM would be my first pick. But then again I havent played Dishonored since Im not really a fan of steampunk....

Agree. It was a fun game, but I'd be a little hesitant to call it GOTY. But still good and I'd like a sequel.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo