Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change

The Star Wars: The Old Republic website announces that beginning next month players will be required to log in with their display names, rather than email addresses, saying this is a security measure. Word is: "This new change to the log in procedure is being implemented for several reasons. This change increases the security of our game authentication system, which helps continue to keep the game protected from many security threats including account takeovers." They encourage players concerned with security to begin using their display names to login immediately. Thanks nin.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 19:52 Rigs

Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 16:03:
InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:46:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:28:
Meh, those are just Star Wars logos that were cool before and will remain cool (as far as nerdy tats go). Not like they tattooed "SWTOR IS GOTY OF ALL TIME WOO BIOWARE!!!" underneath...

I would pay good money to see someone put that in ink on their body...
How much is good money? Because for $1 mill, I'd do it, in small writing, somewhere where no one can see it.

*pushes Dev aside* Hey! I asked first, buddy! I get first crack at the media whore money!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 16:36 Talisorn

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:36:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:30:
Well, that will inconvenience the 2 people that still play.

Yeah, I got the email and thought "I've not logged in in over a year..."

That's a shame. I'm actually quite enjoying it now. Who cares if it's F2P? What restrictions there are don't have anywhere near impact that I thought they would ... so it's all good.

EDIT: BTW, a lot of the initial restrictions (such as skill bars and character slots) have been been reversed. They figured out they were just being too stupid.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 16:25 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:48:
sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:38:
My old FFXI guildies are trying to get me to go back and play FFXIV with them, but I'm not buying it - looks too static and old-fashioned. Nice folks but I think I'm over the old-school MMO thing.

Don't do it, it's just not fun. Some friends did the same with me and I uninstalled shortly after.

I don't ever recall FF11 being "fun" either. It was more like a second job that I had to pay to perform.

I have a friend that spent like 2 *years* in-game. They have a timer that lets you know how long you've been playing. I never heard anything cool about the game, only bitching about how expensive and how BS and how time consuming everything was.

Not to mention the bullshit stuff like Pandemonium Warden, which in it's original incarnation required a concerted effort for over 18 hours before admitting defeat.

Or the chocobo training that required you to log in every 7 hours to get maximum results. Yeah, so you'd be waking up mid-sleep cycle to fucking jerk off your chocobo and keep him happy.

Or charging a dollar for every character slot.

The list goes on and on. I *tried* to get into it, but my linkshard basically told me that I'd need to PUG until I level capped and then they'd play with me. Which I hate doing. And apparently you must group in FF11 or get your ass kicked almost immediately.

Nothing fun about it. At least in Eve Online I had fun for like 45 minutes.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 16:03 Dev

Meh, those are just Star Wars logos that were cool before and will remain cool (as far as nerdy tats go). Not like they tattooed "SWTOR IS GOTY OF ALL TIME WOO BIOWARE!!!" underneath...

How much is good money? Because for $1 mill, I'd do it, in small writing, somewhere where no one can see it.

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 14:48 Verno

sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:38:
My old FFXI guildies are trying to get me to go back and play FFXIV with them, but I'm not buying it - looks too static and old-fashioned. Nice folks but I think I'm over the old-school MMO thing.

Don't do it, it's just not fun. Some friends did the same with me and I uninstalled shortly after.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 14:33 Rigs

Um, how much we talkin' about?

No, really...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 14:07 Creston

I'm sure Slick has an "EA MAKES ME HARD" tat on his lower abdomen.

Creston

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 13:32 Darks

Yep, Right now, Iím on the beta for NWO and I absolutely love the game and how it plays and feels. Cryptic is actually going to a lot of effort to make this look and play great.

Even though this game is being painted a DnD game, it does look and feel Dnd, but combat wise and skills are not DnD. I know the devs addressed this and are looking to see what they can do to fix some of these things, but overall making a game based off DnD will never be right. Which is why the newer 4.0 rules were more geared towards a real time computer type game.

Still, so far Iím enjoying the game and this is where I will be spending a lot of my times once itís fully released. And they are not nickel and diming the players to death with micro transactions. You buy it if you want it, and are not forced into anything that you absolutely have to have to complete the game.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 12:38 sauron

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:28:
My money, they gave me only 250K of my 10 Million credits and put the rest in Escrow.

You canít even touch it unless you pay to play the game, then they unlock it. fuck that shit, these are things that should be there by default and not taken away from the player. This is why EA fails at most things they do and why SWTOR is a failed MMO.

Wow, that's terrible. No way I'd play if a dev/publisher did that to me.

Kittens!

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 11:28 Darks

I have the game, stopped playing it because of all the crappy choices they were making and destroying crafting because too many people whining about one skill making money over others.

Anyway, I can see that this is going to cause problems with people trying to remember what their login name is.

When the game went free to play, I figured I would try it again since a friend of mine was bugging me to play with him. That lasted about two days. When they strip you of primary fundamentals in the game and are trying to force people to pay to get those assets back was when I said fuck you to EA and never went back.

The thing Iím talking about was my money, and skill bars. Two bars is all they give you to fit all of your skills on to and thatís not even enough. My money, they gave me only 250K of my 10 Million credits and put the rest in Escrow.

You canít even touch it unless you pay to play the game, then they unlock it. fuck that shit, these are things that should be there by default and not taken away from the player. This is why EA fails at most things they do and why SWTOR is a failed MMO.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 11:04 NegaDeath

Weirdly enough I got the email too, don't own the game and wasn't involved in beta or anything either.  

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 10:46 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 10:28 jacobvandy

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 09:53 nin

wtf_man wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:47:
Never played it... I just enjoy poking fun at it, since there were so many poor design choices.

I enjoy pointing out those bozos who got tattoos.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 09:47 wtf_man

Never played it... I just enjoy poking fun at it, since there were so many poor design choices.  

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 09:40 MoonSpook

Indeed, I had it and I've only ever played in one of those beta weekends before release.. never bought the full game (although I guess that's moot now it's F2P).

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 09:36 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 09:30 wtf_man

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo