Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Storm? Nope, I'm in complete denial... it's not happening. You are probably right that this is not going to have the desired effect of actually heading off the impending nor'easter, but it might turn out to be a useful stratagem should the situation eventually call for shoveling, so this is just my version of planning ahead.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Turnament.
Stories: Orson Scott Card's Controversial Superman Story Put on Hold. Thanks Slashdot.
Iran reportedly uses snipers to tackle Tehran's rat problem. Thanks brother19.
Hindenburg mystery solved 76 years after historic catastrophe.
Media: Super Spice Bros 2.
BLADE RUNNER ( filming location video ).
Del Potro,Nadal, Ben Stiller and a cute girl play tennis.
Mila Kunis talks to Chris Stark. Thanks nin. At one point she interviews herself.
Drunk Dude Jumps Off a Boat.
Follow-up: Carrie Fisher Says Sheíll Return as Princess Leia. Thanks nin. Hide the gold bikini!

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 12:39 mag

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:46:
Hey, can someone point out a time to me that a big game launched on Steam and the servers were overwhelmed and crapped out?

Dude, every single time TF2 has a major update, Steam dies for a day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 10:59 Verno

The artist dude isn't being PC by leaving the project, being PC would be the artist paying lip service to the opposite of Card's views. Sorry InBlack, I just don't see the problem here, you're off on a personal tangent IMHO.

No one is saying Card has to be PC but he does have to live with the consequences of his actions and words. Freedom of expression is a right, society liking you is a privilege

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

44. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 09:07 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 07:52:
There are no morals or ethics here. Let's not kid ourselves - this comic book was solely a paycheck for this guy

Exactly what I was getting at.

Yeah, but when you're a hired artist, why should it be anything different?

My job is just a paycheck to me. If my company started doing arguably crappy things that could potentially hurt me getting another job I'd certainly jump ship, whether or not I had any strong feelings about the controversial actions.

A paycheck today isn't worth risking future paychecks.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

43. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 07:52 InBlack

There are no morals or ethics here. Let's not kid ourselves - this comic book was solely a paycheck for this guy

Exactly what I was getting at.

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 07:51 InBlack

Redmask wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 07:19:
What does your rambling and hypotheticals have to do with Orson Scott Card being an outspoken homophobe who made his own bed? No one broke any laws, people are just distancing themselves from someone who made himself a public fool. Sorry I can't get onside with someone who practically engages in hate speech, maybe the artist didn't want to either.

Well thats exactly my point. You yourself would have turned down an offer to work with OSC, the artist ONLY did that after a 'public outcry'. Which means he couldnt care less about OSCs personal views. See what Im gettin at here? Its no longer about what anyone thinks personally its all about making appearances and what is politically correct while taking care of your own ass first and foremost.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 07:21 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 05:22:
Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:10:
InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:01:
I guess we could argue that that censorship is a form of expression as well, right?

You see because the artist never stated that he hated OSC or that he considered him a biggot and quit for that reason, he basically stated that he quit because and I quote:
"The media surrounding this story reached the point where it took away from the actual work, and thatís something I wasnít comfortable with"

Now does that sound like someone who is expressing his views, or of someone who is simply reacting to the opinions and views of other people, basically in a form of self-censorship, due to media 'pressure'....

His view is that he doesn't want to be dragged into controversy and have that affect his career and personal life.
That sounds plenty reasonable.

Reacting to the opinions and views of others is pretty much a normal part of society, is it not? Are you advocating that people always do whatever the hell they feel like without regard to the reaction of others?

That just makes you a giant dick and is pretty much where the concept of karma comes from.

No, Im advocating that people should stick with their own moral compass. Obviously you should regard and respect the opinions of people who you care about, but really should just everyone flip-flop the way the wind blows? I respect someone who sticks to their guns, I have little respect for people who change their views depending on whats the popular view at the time.

I agree that its not unreasonable to care for your career and act accordingly, in this case no one was really hurt except for OSCs ego maybe. But lets consider another (semi) hyptohetical case:

A US congressman backs down from a bill he believes in, a bill that would advocate real change or reform because he is pressured into it by his own party because a powerful lobyist (and financial party supporter) has decreed that it would be unfavorable to their corporate interest or perhaps because its politicaly unpopular at the time.

The congresman has acted to preserve his career, so that he may some day once again be elected into office, but what about the people who voted for what he was supposed to stand for?

This kind of shit happens everyday, and it happens all over the world and is hardly academic. No one really believes in anything anymore except in saving their own hide, its disgusting and has become the prevalent attitude. Me > everyone else.

There's a huge difference between a bill you believe can do some good and making a shitty comic book with a shitty homophobe.

Something is what you genuinely believe in. The other is a paycheck you realize could hinder you from getting other paychecks and possibly even doing something you do believe in.

There are no morals or ethics here. Let's not kid ourselves - this comic book was solely a paycheck for this guy.

-------------

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 07:19 Redmask

What does your rambling and hypotheticals have to do with Orson Scott Card being an outspoken homophobe who made his own bed? No one broke any laws, people are just distancing themselves from someone who made himself a public fool. Sorry I can't get onside with someone who practically engages in hate speech, maybe the artist didn't want to either.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 05:22 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:10:
InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 11:01:
I guess we could argue that that censorship is a form of expression as well, right?

You see because the artist never stated that he hated OSC or that he considered him a biggot and quit for that reason, he basically stated that he quit because and I quote:
"The media surrounding this story reached the point where it took away from the actual work, and thatís something I wasnít comfortable with"

Now does that sound like someone who is expressing his views, or of someone who is simply reacting to the opinions and views of other people, basically in a form of self-censorship, due to media 'pressure'....

His view is that he doesn't want to be dragged into controversy and have that affect his career and personal life.
That sounds plenty reasonable.

Reacting to the opinions and views of others is pretty much a normal part of society, is it not? Are you advocating that people always do whatever the hell they feel like without regard to the reaction of others?

That just makes you a giant dick and is pretty much where the concept of karma comes from.

No, Im advocating that people should stick with their own moral compass. Obviously you should regard and respect the opinions of people who you care about, but really should just everyone flip-flop the way the wind blows? I respect someone who sticks to their guns, I have little respect for people who change their views depending on whats the popular view at the time.

I agree that its not unreasonable to care for your career and act accordingly, in this case no one was really hurt except for OSCs ego maybe. But lets consider another (semi) hyptohetical case:

A US congressman backs down from a bill he believes in, a bill that would advocate real change or reform because he is pressured into it by his own party because a powerful lobyist (and financial party supporter) has decreed that it would be unfavorable to their corporate interest or perhaps because its politicaly unpopular at the time.

The congresman has acted to preserve his career, so that he may some day once again be elected into office, but what about the people who voted for what he was supposed to stand for?

This kind of shit happens everyday, and it happens all over the world and is hardly academic. No one really believes in anything anymore except in saving their own hide, its disgusting and has become the prevalent attitude. Me > everyone else.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 00:45 netnerd85

PropheT wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 16:28:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:07:
Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:33:
Star Wars VII: The Retirement Home.

Creston
Chewie has lost his hair.
Luke can't get his saber up.
Han forgot where he parked his ship.

I think they're making a huge mistake forcing the old actors into the movie. Leave them in the old ones where they're awesome and will always be awesome, and make something new.

A new Star Wars, with a new story, with new characters.
I think transitional animated movies might be a good idea?

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 19:48 NegaDeath

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:46:
Hey, can someone point out a time to me that a big game launched on Steam and the servers were overwhelmed and crapped out?

Half Life 2 launch, back in the days of yore.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 19:35 Cutter

Blue wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:23:
Yes, that's my goal. To protect bigots and racists. Because the forums here are based on Nazi ideology.

And here I thought I was curtailing a possible flame war being provoked by someone who can't follow the most basic and oft repeated rule of avoiding personal attacks here.

"Censorship." Just... Wall

Oh come on, man! When someone makes a boneheaded statement like that they deserve to be called on it. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. I gnerally don't have a problem with InBlack but that was a stupid thing to say. Period.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 19:11 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 16:28:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:07:
Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:33:
Star Wars VII: The Retirement Home.

Creston
Chewie has lost his hair.
Luke can't get his saber up.
Han forgot where he parked his ship.

I think they're making a huge mistake forcing the old actors into the movie. Leave them in the old ones where they're awesome and will always be awesome, and make something new.

A new Star Wars, with a new story, with new characters.

See, this. I don't need the people from the previous movies in this one. Just tell a new story in that universe and make it awesome.

Also, what netnerd said was freakin' hilarious.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:56 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:51:
Of course there's freedom of expression. The artist had the freedom to express himself by quitting the project because Orson Scott Card is something of a giant throbbing penis.That is how he expressed himself.

Yahtzee.

In best Oprah voice: You get freedom of expression, and you get freedom of expression, and you get freedom of expression.

FOE isn't limited to the single party that you like.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:46 Beamer

-------------

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:41 Ravener

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:12:
Ravener wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:49:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:43:
Are you high or just stupid? ...bigot...hate group...fuck him...fuck all his other hatemonger religious whacko friends! Fuck DC...Fuck them...Fuck Sprouse...fuck all the other bigots and racists

So let me get this straight. You think (rather emphatically I gather) that CARD is the hatemonger? What does that make you, exactly? Mr. Peace, Love, and Understanding?

Yes, you're right, let's all go out and hug some bigots and racists because that'll just fix everything. It' called justifiable anger. Being intoklerant of bigots and racists doesn't make me intolerant. they're actively trying to curtail other peoples freedom simply because they don't like them and you think that's a good thing do you? Go put on your brown shirt then and show everyone where you stand.

Calling people with different opinions bigots and racists doesn't make it so. It merely shows that you claim to understand the basis of their opinion, when in fact you do not even attempt to do so.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:05 mag

PHJF wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:04:
...someone who can't follow the most basic and oft repeated rule of avoiding personal attacks here.

Well that covers roughly 90% of current posters.

I blame rap music.

I blame Zoidberg.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 18:04 PHJF

...someone who can't follow the most basic and oft repeated rule of avoiding personal attacks here.

Well that covers roughly 90% of current posters.

I blame rap music. Let's all mellow to some Armin Van Buuren.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 17:23  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:09:
Blue wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:46:
Bodolza wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:31:
Are you high or just stupid?

He might just be uninformed. No need to resort to name calling right off-the-bat. Save that for the people that actually deserve it.

Or you know... posts you want to have deleted.

Yeah, blue, censorship will do it. It worked so well for the Nazis. No better way to protect the bigots and racists, right?

Yes, that's my goal. To protect bigots and racists. Because the forums here are based on Nazi ideology.

And here I thought I was curtailing a possible flame war being provoked by someone who can't follow the most basic and oft repeated rule of avoiding personal attacks here.

"Censorship." Just... Wall

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 17:21 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:09:
Blue wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:46:
Bodolza wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:31:
Are you high or just stupid?

He might just be uninformed. No need to resort to name calling right off-the-bat. Save that for the people that actually deserve it.

Or you know... posts you want to have deleted.

Yeah, blue, censorship will do it. It worked so well for the Nazis. No better way to protect the bigots and racists, right?

I typed an intentional Godwin earlier today but deleted it because, funny as it was, it was too much of a stretch.

Thank you for carrying my torch!

-------------

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 17:12 Cutter

Ravener wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 15:49:
Are you high or just stupid? ...bigot...hate group...fuck him...fuck all his other hatemonger religious whacko friends! Fuck DC...Fuck them...Fuck Sprouse...fuck all the other bigots and racists

So let me get this straight. You think (rather emphatically I gather) that CARD is the hatemonger? What does that make you, exactly? Mr. Peace, Love, and Understanding?

Yes, you're right, let's all go out and hug some bigots and racists because that'll just fix everything. It' called justifiable anger. Being intoklerant of bigots and racists doesn't make me intolerant. they're actively trying to curtail other peoples freedom simply because they don't like them and you think that's a good thing do you? Go put on your brown shirt then and show everyone where you stand.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo