Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More on Thief

The Eidos Montreal Community has more on the release of new details about Thief, the new installment in the Thief series of stealth games. There's also an info dump from the new Game Informer on NeoGAF (thanks VG247). Here's part of what Eidos Montreal has to say about the game:

For those of you who might be new to the franchise, Thief is Eidos-Montreal’s latest title. There is a rising tide of fear in the City that created and defined Garrett, hatred saturates every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Ravaged with disease and famine, the people wait for something to change.

You take on the iconic role of Garrett, the Master Thief. In this first-person adventure featuring intelligent design, you will be able to take full control and freely choose your path through the game’s levels, using strategy and intuition to decide how to approach and overcome each challenge. Garrett must step from the shadows and uncover the truth before his world is torn apart forever.

Thief will be available in 2014 for PC, PlayStation®4, and other next-generation consoles.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 15:31 Zoom

Cant wait to see the result, and if they kept the incredible atmosphere of the series. And the animated paint cut scenes as well. And Garrett's voice actor. And the very powerful, evoluted 3D sound engine. And the "no kill, ever" mode..  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 11:10 Creston

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 20:58:
The most important part is you get to decorate Garrett's house. NEXT GEN!!!11!! Because that's the one thing I was thinking about when sneaking around the shadows avoiding guards. Every master thief's true calling is interior design.

Hey man. If even commander Shepard can get an apartment, why can't Garrett?!

In any case, I'm pretty excited for this. I hope it'll be great.

Creston

16. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 09:29 wtf_man

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 09:10:
I totally agree with the first, and mostly agree with the second. As long as they don't throw stealth out the window...

Well... it wouldn't be "Teef" at all, if there were no stealth options.
So, I'm not to worried about that.

15. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 09:10 nin

I think they did a great job with Deus Ex:HR, and I really didn't give a shit about the boss fights... to me, it was more about the journey.

Same goes for Thief... if they make it a great journey... I won't care if there are more "action-type" options compared to the original series.

I totally agree with the first, and mostly agree with the second. As long as they don't throw stealth out the window...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 08:55 wtf_man

I think they did a great job with Deus Ex:HR, and I really didn't give a shit about the boss fights... to me, it was more about the journey.

Same goes for Thief... if they make it a great journey... I won't care if there are more "action-type" options compared to the original series.

Obviously I won't pre-order... nor will it be a day 1 purchase... but if the buzz about it is good after release... I'd be likely to pick it up within the first couple of weeks.

13. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 06:20 InBlack

Wait and see, wait and see. Definitely not preorder and see  

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 06:04 SS

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 04:41:
Snapdad wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 04:29:
"Ravaged with disease and famine, the people wait for something to change."

Not interested.

That is the sentence that turned you off from this game? Really?

I'm definitely excited to play another Thief game, but it is a little cringe worthy how close the story sounds to Dishonoured (As well as the visual design). Plus it almost sounds like they are setting Garret up to be some sort of hero(I hope I'm wrong). Copying the style and basic story of a game that was its self a copy is pretty bad. SquareEnix/Eidos did it with Tomb Raider as well. Whats next?

11. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 04:41 Fibrocyte

Snapdad wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 04:29:

Not interested.

That is the sentence that turned you off from this game? Really?

10. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 04:33 Quinn

Another year? NEVAH!!!  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

9. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 04:29 Snapdad

Not interested.

8. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 02:19 NKD

In this first-person adventure featuring intelligent design

Checkmate, evolutionists.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: More on Thief Mar 6, 2013, 00:25 Jerykk

It sounds like they're fundamentally changing the nature of the game, though. Whereas earlier Thief games were about infiltrating a place and remaining undetected, this new game is about being "forced" into "impossible situations" and then "escaping". Garrett is going from being the hunter to being the prey. That's a big change.

Not all the missions in the previous games revolved around thievery. There were a lot of missions where you just had to escape zombies/ghosts/monsters. Also, we don't know if the level shown to Game Informer did actually force players into impossible situations. Keep in mind that demos are used to show off various aspects of games, not just one. Until we're shown more of the game, it's premature to assume that every level will be completely linear and scripted and have forced confrontations.

Remember that Eidos had the possibility of "ghosting" in DXHR, but it wasn't actual ghosting (Dishonored got this wrong too). If they don't understand what ghosting actually is, I don't trust them to make a worthy Thief game.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying how devs misuse the term these days. However, you can actually ghost through both DX:HR and Dishonored (except the boss fights and a couple of side-missions where the objective explicitly requires neutralizing people). I know because I did. Unfortunately, you'll just receive the same achievements/rewards as you would if you just knocked everyone out. The difference between killing someone and knocking them out is purely superficial and I really wish devs would stop confusing "non-lethal" with "ghosting."

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2013, 00:32.

6. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 23:25 netnerd85

*french accent* TEEF!  

5. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 23:17 Squirmer

Remember what Warren Spector said about Deus Ex and Thief.

Deus Ex is a swiss army knife. Thief is a scalpel.

Sounds like Eidos is turning Thief into a swiss army knife.

Which they're entitled to do, but it ain't Thief.

(And it's been done already anyway, it's called Dishonored.)

4. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 23:14 Squirmer

It sounds like they're fundamentally changing the nature of the game, though. Whereas earlier Thief games were about infiltrating a place and remaining undetected, this new game is about being "forced" into "impossible situations" and then "escaping". Garrett is going from being the hunter to being the prey. That's a big change.

You might say combat is only an option, but we don't know that, and in any case it will affect the design of maps and game systems. If their goal is to force players into impossible situations, that will guide their level design, it will guide stealth possibilities, it will guide tool design, and so on. We don't know the end result, but their philosophy doesn't sound like a Thief game to me.

Remember that Eidos had the possibility of "ghosting" in DXHR, but it wasn't actual ghosting (Dishonored got this wrong too). If they don't understand what ghosting actually is, I don't trust them to make a worthy Thief game.

3. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 22:59 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 22:28:
I don't think this game can work in todays gaming industry, too many people expect straight line designs with 'moral quandaries' and forced combat sections. I would love to be more optimistic but does anyone really see them giving this wide open levels and a stealth first approach to the design?

Yes? Dishonored and DX:HR both featured open-ended levels and viable stealth playstyles. In fact, playing stealthy gave you more XP than combat did in DX:HR.

Make no mistake, I'm sure that they'll make combat more viable in this new Thief than it was in the previous games. That's a given. However, as long as the stealth gameplay is fleshed out and compelling, I'm fine with that.

It always makes me chuckle when people complain about combat being viable in a hybrid action/stealth game. Just because it's an option doesn't mean you have to do it. And yes, combat is always easier than stealth but again, if you enjoy stealth, then just avoid combat. Play the way you want to play. If you lack the discipline to avoid taking the path of least resistance, you only have yourself to blame.

2. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 22:28 Redmask

I don't think this game can work in todays gaming industry, too many people expect straight line designs with 'moral quandaries' and forced combat sections. I would love to be more optimistic but does anyone really see them giving this wide open levels and a stealth first approach to the design?  

1. Re: More on Thief Mar 5, 2013, 20:58 Mad Max RW

The most important part is you get to decorate Garrett's house. NEXT GEN!!!11!! Because that's the one thing I was thinking about when sneaking around the shadows avoiding guards. Every master thief's true calling is interior design.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo