Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect

Paradox Interactive announces that The Showdown Effect is now available in North America for Windows and OS X, offering Arrowhead Game Studios' take on "a world where every single action movie from the 80s and 90s is happening concurrently." This release trailer attempts to show off such a world in under a minute, and they plan a Twitch live stream of the game on Thursday at 2:00 pm EST. Here's the announcement:

NEW YORK — March 5, 2013 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games and an abuser of diplomatic immunity, today released The Showdown Effect, a new multiplayer action title from Arrowhead Game Studios. In a world where every single action movie from the 80s and 90s is happening concurrently, players must shoot, slash, dive, roll, punch, and quip their way to victory to become the last cliché standing. The Showdown Effect is available for PC and Mac in digital stores worldwide, for a list of retailers please check out www.theshowdowneffect.com/buy.

Witness The Showdown Effect — the impossible chaos that occurs when an amnesiac clone, a grizzled cop, an inscrutable martial arts master, a plucky teenage genius, and other action hero archetypes are thrown together in a pile of guns, explosives, and assorted bludgeons. Featuring stylish 2.5D graphics, fast-paced white-knuckle gameplay, TwitchTV integration, and an endless supply of one-liners, The Showdown Effect allows up to 8 players at once to go head-to-fist in a variety of free-for-all and team-based game modes.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect Mar 6, 2013, 04:58 Domgrief

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 03:18:
Either way. Looks similar to blah blah and yada yada that came out the other week. Looks boring as batshite.

Out of genuine curiosity, which game are you talking about? It's not exactly like the 2D deathmatch genre is overcrowded.

Link Dead is still in Alpha and I have no idea if it's even remotely popular. Besides that all I can remember is Soldat and Abuse... which was released about the same time as Windows 95.

Looks like there are many more servers online today; I'll be lanning this up on the weekend also.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect Mar 6, 2013, 03:18 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 00:34:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 23:31:
Oh, another platformer...

This is an action game. The bulk of gameplay revolves around shooting other players and dodging their attacks.

Just because a game has 2D gameplay does not make it a platformer.
Indeed - my silly mistake, I meant Side-Scroller!. I saw the trailer.

Either way. Looks similar to blah blah and yada yada that came out the other week. Looks boring as batshite.

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect Mar 6, 2013, 00:34 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 23:31:

This is an action game. The bulk of gameplay revolves around shooting other players and dodging their attacks.

Just because a game has 2D gameplay does not make it a platformer.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect Mar 6, 2013, 00:03 Domgrief

It seems neat - something of a fusion between Soldat and Action Half-Life / Action Quake 2.

I hope that a release means we'll see more servers; I only bought the game yesterday but the server list was a ghost town.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Showdown Effect Mar 5, 2013, 23:31 netnerd85

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo