Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Beta Drivers

NVIDIA now offers new beta version 314.14 GeForce reference drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards. Word on the new driver is it: "Increases performance by up to 23% for GeForce 400/500/600 series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 314.07 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration." There are new drivers for Windows Vista/7/8 32-bit, Windows Vista/7/8 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, and Windows XP 64-bit/Windows Server 2003 x64. Thanks Charles.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 6, 2013, 08:46 SpectralMeat

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 21:57:
Sure wish they would cite some of those alleged 400/500 Series' performance improvements...
This is all I could find the release doc regarding older cards like the 4/500 series:

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 314.07
The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved
since version 313.96. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this
driver version. The NVIDIA bug nu
mber is provided for reference.
Windows Vista/Windows 7
&#61557;
[GeForce 500 series]Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Build 1.0.617.0)]: Some objects have
a grainy texture when in-game antialiasing is set to MLAA. [861713]
&#61557;
[GeForce GTX 670]: MSI Kombustor benchmark score is lower with R310 drivers.
[1183871]
&#61557;
[GeForce 500/600 series][GrassValley EDIUS 6.52]: There is color corruption in some
of the menus. [1218360]
&#61557;
[GeForce GTX 580][Assassinís Creed III]: The game crashes. [1184353]
&#61557;
[Quad-SLI][Surround][GeFor
ce GTX 690]: Several appl
ications experience low
performance. [1225520]
&#61557;
[SLI][The Last Remnant]: The games launches to a black screen. [1212938]

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 6, 2013, 06:45 J

I never thought I'd see the day when the subject of debate was Lara Croft's... hair  

4. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 6, 2013, 05:07 Sho

For me, using the latest WHQL drivers, the tesselation and the TressFX hair are the two big framerate killers that lower the average FPS to below acceptable, both individually and of course in concert. That's at 1920x1200 on a 660 Ti and a 3.8 Ghz (with turbo) Ivy Bridge Xeon quad with everything else on Ultra.

But:

a) The TressFX hair looks bad anyway because the collision mesh for it is badly implemented; Lara's hair strands flow like a liquid over an invisible shell 10cm above her shoulders. The normal hair properly does collision against the actual surface of her model.

b) I couldn't help but feel that the tessellation made some things look less defined / fatter, as if the control cages (assuming it works a little like subdiv modeling) guiding it weren't set up too carefully.

... so I don't really feel like I'm missing out having those two options off. And with them off, I get about 50 fps avg which is perfectly alright. It's a good PC port in my book, both graphically and in terms of handling. Nixxes did well again.

Edit: I had to disable "Exclusive fullscreen" from the launcher BTW, or I get a fatal Direct3D initialization error at startup. I think it might be related to having a multi-head setup.

3. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 6, 2013, 00:04 PropheT

Yeah... it is neat, I played with it on for a while, and then I realized that I go from an average fps of about 31-32 with it on to 67-72 with it off.

Eesh.

Nvidia had a response on the GeForce boards that they only got the final code for TR this past weekend, though, and are working with Crystal Dynamics to get things working better asap.

2. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 5, 2013, 21:57 jacobvandy

Sure wish they would cite some of those alleged 400/500 Series' performance improvements...

Also, the only thing I find NVIDIA lacking right now for Tomb Raider is optimization for dat hair. Makes the game choppy as hell whenever it zooms in on her face, so I've disabled it. Which I suppose is for the best, 'cause as neat as it might be (when it's not glitching out in a battle against her shoulders and neck), it's VERY out of place since no other character in the game has such technology working for them.

1. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 5, 2013, 21:47 PropheT

These are the recommended drivers for Tomb Raider at the moment while Nvidia works on new ones to fix the performance issues/tesselation crash problems. They definitely help performance-wise, but don't do anything to fix the tesselation crash that apparent on at least the 600 series cards.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo