Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief (4) Details Inbound

GameInformer reveals their April cover story to be about the Thief reboot in the works at Eidos Montreal that was was announced as Thief 4, but now seems to be simply titled Thief. They offer some artwork that's part of a rollout of assets (which appears may have been usurped already (thanks nin)) along with a video previewing their coverage. Here's word:

Series hero Garrett returns to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City to steal any and everything that will make him richer. Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game's levels.

Square Enix plans to release Thief for PS4, PC, and other next-gen platforms sometime in 2014. Check out our coverage trailer for a taste of all the content you can look forward to absorbing over the next month.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:44 RollinThundr

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:27:
Dagnamit wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:13:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:02:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:59:
Come on, they made DE:HR and it was awesome. Give them a little faith.

Creston

You mean like the boss fights?

No. Faith is earned.

That game didn't even need boss fights. Why on earth would you switch gears in the middle of the game from, get from A to B however you want, to, your only option is to kill this guy. Ignore the boss fights, because they were from an entirely different game that sucked. They only put them in there because they thought that people would be disappointed if boss fights weren't in the game. They were wrong. I doubt they make the same mistake again.

Besides, they outsourced the boss fights.

Didn't they also make Hitman Absolution? I still haven't played more than about 30 minutes of that thanks to the save system. When you load a checkpoint, the level is reset and guards are back ... including the guard RIGHT BESIDE the checkpoint. I can't fathom what the thinking was there. I assumed it was a bug but it seems no, this is intentional.

DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Io Interactive does the Hitman games, different studio altogether.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:31 Cutter

Frijoles wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:23:
Looking forward to this. 2014 is too far away.

Sigh. I was about to lose my shit in excitement thinking it was imminent in the next few months. Deuce! Over another effing year to go? Why bother with the effing preview in that case? Double deuce!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:30 nin

I have to say that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but this is my opinion.

Hey, it's as good as any other. All we can do is wait and hope for the best.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:30 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:04:
So far I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing. Thief games didn't have "multiple paths" through levels, they just had open levels and you went nuts in them within the limits of your equipment.

I don't like the "multiple routes" mentality either. It should be open, there shouldn't be routes at all. That's the complete opposite idea, rather than making more options for the player, make less obstacles stopping us.

How many routes are there to take out an outpost in Far Cry 3? Infinite. OK, there's some things like that convenient caged animals which is a slightly contrived 'route' but by and large, you have proper freedom.

- Quboid

19. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:29 ItBurn

Creston

The boss fights were outsourced to another studio. So, you don't need to worry about that. There's no way that this will be a pure thief experience. It's gonna be mass marketed and you'll probably be able to complete every mission rambo-style. Thief is too niche sadly. It worked with DE:HR because, well, it already had a pretty wide appeal and offered many different play styles. I have to say that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but this is my opinion.

18. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:27 netnerd85

Thief Youtube Coverage Trailer
"Dis is teef"

Sorry, what? What is teef?

17. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:27 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:13:

Creston

No. Faith is earned.

That game didn't even need boss fights. Why on earth would you switch gears in the middle of the game from, get from A to B however you want, to, your only option is to kill this guy. Ignore the boss fights, because they were from an entirely different game that sucked. They only put them in there because they thought that people would be disappointed if boss fights weren't in the game. They were wrong. I doubt they make the same mistake again.

Didn't they also make Hitman Absolution? I still haven't played more than about 30 minutes of that thanks to the save system. When you load a checkpoint, the level is reset and guards are back ... including the guard RIGHT BESIDE the checkpoint. I can't fathom what the thinking was there. I assumed it was a bug but it seems no, this is intentional.

DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

- Quboid

16. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:20 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:12:

Creston

No. Faith is earned.

Yes, because three fights that take a total of 10 minutes (and can be completely negated by the Typhoon) completely do away with 50 odd hours of awesome?

Creston

Zactly. And those boss fights weren't done by them, and they've openly admitted they didn't like the way they turned out.

15. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:13 Dagnamit

Creston

No. Faith is earned.

14. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:12 Creston

Creston

No. Faith is earned.

Yes, because three fights that take a total of 10 minutes (and can be completely negated by the Typhoon) completely do away with 50 odd hours of awesome?

Creston

13. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:06 Flatline

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:33:

Holy Dishonored, Batman!

I just looked at the art assets and you're right, it looks like they ripped off Dishonored.

Also, a compound bow? BOO. BOO I SAY.

12. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:04 Flatline

Yakubs wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:55:
Yay, another crap game with a classic game's name incoming. Gee, I really wish I could be a part of THAT proud development team.

If I had a quarter for every fucking fantasy setting that suffered from a mysterious plague, I wouldn't have to work. If I had a nickel for every fantasy setting that suffers from a tyrannical baron or duke or king, my entire family could retire.

So far I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing. Thief games didn't have "multiple paths" through levels, they just had open levels and you went nuts in them within the limits of your equipment.

11. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:02 Burrito of Peace

Creston

No. Faith is earned.

10. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:59 Creston

Creston

9. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:55 Yakubs

Yay, another crap game with a classic game's name incoming. Gee, I really wish I could be a part of THAT proud development team.  

8. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:54 Verno

Please don't bro this up. Real stealth systems please - meaningful light, sound and noise detection are requirements. Garrett shouldn't be running around garroting every guard he comes across or sniping people like Legolas. If there is a cover system it better be supplementary, better yet don't do one at all, lean is way better and less overpowered. This is one of those franchises that has to be executed like the originals otherwise it'll just be a mess.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

7. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:47 Creston

"Next-Gen" (title used loosely) platforms only?

Maybe we'll get some decently sized levels!

Creston

6. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:40 Fantaz

Free 2 play!

"Square Enix plans to release Thief for PS4, PC, and other next-gen platforms"

What, no love for PS3/360?

5. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:34 Axis

So many good memories with the Thief series.

Course, this will probably end up being 99% shooter to appease the masses of nublets, so don't get your hopes up.

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 12:33 nin

Holy Dishonored, Batman!

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo