Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 4 Cancelled?

Videogamer.com reports development of Dead Space 4 has been cancelled by Electronic Arts (though a next installment in the shooter series has yet to be announced) based on poor sales of Dead Space 3. They attribute this unconfirmed rumor to "a source familiar with the unannounced project" speaking on the condition of anonymity, who tells them the game was in preproduction at Visceral Games, and that a small team at Visceral Montreal was working on prototypes for the project. Their source says Visceral Montreal was closed as a result of the game being cancelled, which supports a report from a couple of weeks ago where a former Visceral Montreal employee claimed the studio's entire staff was let go. They contacted EA for comment, and were told the company does not comment on rumor or speculation (except when they chose to).

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:20 Frijoles

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:06:
What I don't get is why people hate so much on Origin and praise Steam in the same breath. They're the same fucking thing.

My Steam account is over 300 games. My Origin account is 0. I like all my games in one place. I like Steam's interface. I like only having one account to login, although this one is more of a wish since I still have accounts for everything.

Bring DS3 to Steam and remove the Origin requirement and I'd buy it. I loved DS1 and DS2. Same goes for a bunch of other EA games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:19 Gadzooks

It all comes down to projections.
Doesnt matter if the 3rd game sold twice as many copies as the 2nd game, if EA projected more sales, and it didnt meet those numbers, then it failed as far as they are concerned.

Pretty much any business works that way. Seems rather dumb knowing that they arent actually losing money, they just arent making as much as they hoped they would. Greedy bastards

31. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:18 Suppa7

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:06:
What I don't get is why people hate so much on Origin and praise Steam in the same breath. They're the same fucking thing.

EA has no credibility with gamers, Valve is far from perfect but has waaayy more gamer cred then EA can ever hope to have.

30. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:17 Sempai

I prefer Steam, but i agree.
Origin is a pain for me, and all these publishers trying to create their own portals is frustrating and has become a burden for legitimate customers, but by no means am i a lover of Steam.

For one their customer service is useless, in ever way shape and form, and there's no excuse for it with the cash Valve rakes in. And frankly i don't enjoy it running on my pc 24/7 in order for me to play games in a timely manner. But you can play offline Sempai!..Yeah, that's a real fuckin option isn't it..

Honestly..i miss the days when i could buy my games and just play them without being forced to be in some fucking DRM club. Steam included.

29. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:10 ASeven

Only EA was retarded enough not to see this happen, sales being well below target.

Publishers seem to live in the world of lala land.

28. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:06 RollinThundr

Darks wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:52:
vacs wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:44:
Maybe they will now consider selling DS3 on Steam? Idiots

Thatís in in a nut shell dude. I have not and will not buy any of their games as long as Origin is a prime evil.

Put it on Steam and let people make a choice. I would love to see the statistics on this if they did a comparison to how many buy it on Steam vs. Origin.

I think EA already knows the answer to this and thatís what their afraid of.

Make a choice of what? Using Steam DRM rather than Origin DRM? I get it EA is evil and the devil, they've earned the bad rep they have. That's all well and good and I get it why it's popular to hate them.

27. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:52 Darks

vacs wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:44:

Thatís in in a nut shell dude. I have not and will not buy any of their games as long as Origin is a prime evil.

Put it on Steam and let people make a choice. I would love to see the statistics on this if they did a comparison to how many buy it on Steam vs. Origin.

I think EA already knows the answer to this and thatís what their afraid of.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

26. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:51 Jivaro

All this means is that the Dead space franchise has milked everything it can from the mainstream and that eventually it will be reborn via Kickstarter. Minus all the extraneous crap of course.

25. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:49 netnerd85

YAY!  

24. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:44 vacs

23. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:35 Pubknight

How could this not have done well... didn't we read on Blues last week how gamers loved and embraced the micro transaction model?

22. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:31 Ahumado

Far Out !! I'll be looking in the budget bin for Deadspace 3.  

21. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:06 Sempai

A union isn't the answer. A union will get you what Hollywood has - contract workers rather than employees. That's even worse than what we have now.

EA isn't as much of a problem as they were, anyway. They do far less buying and razing awesome studios these days. They don't have the buying power, but I think they've learned that lesson. A bit.
The issue now is more just a function of no one understanding what to do about how much it costs to make a game with cutting edge graphics. Most studios decided the way to handle that is by reducing single player to 6-7 hours.

It isn't just games dealing with this, either. Look at Hollywood now. The most expensive movies of all time are the ones heaviest with CGI - movies like Oz Great and Powerful which is 100% greenscreened cost over $200MM. Nuts. And then the artists doing those effects get laid off and the studios get closed weeks after winning awards.
Don't know the answer. Industry leading computer visuals are just extremely expensive...

Agreed.

When the studio for Life of Pi gets shuttered the day after winning an Oscar, there's something wrong with your business model.
As an adult gamer who becomes giddy as a school girl on a Monday night waiting for that amazing game to unlock, I fear for the folks who are responsible for creating, and providing me with amazing experiences because the industry is the way it is.

20. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:04 nin

Hyatus wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:00:
Part of the problem for PC users is that it isn't available to buy on Steam. If you want to sell a game it needs to be in as many stores as possible.

Yep. Going their own route was sooooo worth it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:04 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:49:
There is literally nobody with half a shred of common fucking sense at EA.
There is a reason why EA isnt any longer THE Behemoth of Game Publishing: A long line of stupid business descisions, which culminated in a more and more dire situation for this company.

Ten, fifteen years ago EA didnt flinch when a game tanked, because they had enough other games with solid or good sales to cover those losses. Now, they had to fire people and freeze marketing for a few months, because Warfighter tanked. What will they do after this debacle? Hoping that SimCity Online will finally hit the spot?

18. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:00 Hyatus

Part of the problem for PC users is that it isn't available to buy on Steam. If you want to sell a game it needs to be in as many stores as possible.  

17. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 10:49 Creston

So, turning a reasonably succesful franchise into something pretty different, loading it with microtransactions, and explaining that it's done to "attract a wider market", doesn't work???

HOW ON EARTH DID THAT HAPPEN???

There is literally nobody with half a shred of common fucking sense at EA.

Creston

16. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 10:49 Linksil

I know after watching a few youtube videos of the game I basically put it under the 5-10$ steam sale. Nothing like DS1 or even 2.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

15. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 10:37 Alamar

Must have been all the piracy...

-Alamar

14. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 10:30 Wallshadows

I would like to see a third-party Auditor go over the books and identify just how well funded these AAA projects are and if the money put forward to support such projects is efficiently spent or just pissed away in hopes that the return will cover it.

Does that ever happen?

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo