Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 4 Cancelled?

Videogamer.com reports development of Dead Space 4 has been cancelled by Electronic Arts (though a next installment in the shooter series has yet to be announced) based on poor sales of Dead Space 3. They attribute this unconfirmed rumor to "a source familiar with the unannounced project" speaking on the condition of anonymity, who tells them the game was in preproduction at Visceral Games, and that a small team at Visceral Montreal was working on prototypes for the project. Their source says Visceral Montreal was closed as a result of the game being cancelled, which supports a report from a couple of weeks ago where a former Visceral Montreal employee claimed the studio's entire staff was let go. They contacted EA for comment, and were told the company does not comment on rumor or speculation (except when they chose to).

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

53. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:48 RollinThundr

Darks wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:46:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:11:
Darks wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:58:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:06:
Darks wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:52:
vacs wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:44:
Maybe they will now consider selling DS3 on Steam? Idiots

Thatís in in a nut shell dude. I have not and will not buy any of their games as long as Origin is a prime evil.

Put it on Steam and let people make a choice. I would love to see the statistics on this if they did a comparison to how many buy it on Steam vs. Origin.

I think EA already knows the answer to this and thatís what their afraid of.

What I don't get is why people hate so much on Origin and praise Steam in the same breath. They're the same fucking thing.

Seriously dude, do you or have you used Origin? Itís an over inflated conglomerated piece of shit. Its slow, their friends list blows. EA put little to no thought into this client. Not to mention some of the back end bullshit EA has been accused of with their client monitoring and scanning peoples pcs for info.

Jesus PC elitists are douchebags.

No dude, you have that honor all to yourself. I think itís been stated many times why most people donít like Origin, but I guess you need a ton of bricks dropped on you to get the point through that thick head of yours.

Not really, a reason aside from EA is evil, I <3 Valve isn't really that legitimate. Granted I personally don't hate EA just because they're EA however.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:46 Darks

Thatís in in a nut shell dude. I have not and will not buy any of their games as long as Origin is a prime evil.

Put it on Steam and let people make a choice. I would love to see the statistics on this if they did a comparison to how many buy it on Steam vs. Origin.

What I don't get is why people hate so much on Origin and praise Steam in the same breath. They're the same fucking thing.

Seriously dude, do you or have you used Origin? Itís an over inflated conglomerated piece of shit. Its slow, their friends list blows. EA put little to no thought into this client. Not to mention some of the back end bullshit EA has been accused of with their client monitoring and scanning peoples pcs for info.

Jesus PC elitists are douchebags.

No dude, you have that honor all to yourself. I think itís been stated many times why most people donít like Origin, but I guess you need a ton of bricks dropped on you to get the point through that thick head of yours.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

51. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:45 Tumbler

I'm not sure why they thought dead space 3 would sell if it was presented as what shipped. It feels too much like more dead space two rather than a new addition to the franchise. It's also an action game now, so many enemies just get thrown at you the game play is run and gun most of the game.

At least when it was un space it felt like dead space.. Maybe looked like is more accurate.

I blame the publisher in this situation. The game smells of someone saying "action games sell, just look at COD! Make ds3 an action game. People will buy it because of the dead space brand plus it will get good reviews from all the awesome action! And co-op! Lots of co-op!"

Seems like a lot of publishers want to simply slap a brand name on whatever they are making. Who cares if it fits, call it dead space three and let's make lots of money.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

50. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:43 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:17:

Yep use both, have actually had more issues with Steam over the years than Origin/EA Downloader. To me all it is is another store front. I don't understand what's so difficult about clicking a different short cut. OH NOES I NEED MY 300+ games ALL ON STEAM! Jesus PC elitists are douchebags.

That's because you just want to rant and don't actually listen to the reasons, you do this in pretty much every EA thread now its become a forum trope

Because I've yet to see a valid reason beyond I hate EA and prefer steam. The way half of you guys talk, you'd think John Riccitiello poured sugar in your gas tank while anally raping your girlfriend.

49. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:27 Beamer

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:17:
It would be much more difficult for me to replace a talented artist than it would a biz dev or marketing flunkie, I think it's just a weird reversal of power thing.

You probably have me on ignore, but no, this isn't even remotely true.

It's hard to replace great guys with great ideas. But the actual low level artist? I don't want to make it out like he isn't a contributor, of course he is, but there are a billion of him. Your artists are typically crafting someone else's vision, and there are a billion people out there that know how to make 3D art that are dying for a game job.

No matter how talented they are, until they're higher up and more responsible for the decision making they're pretty replaceable.

That marketing flunkie? He has to be someone that understands the industry. The games industry isn't exactly overflowing with marketing flunkies, despite what people here tend to think, and it takes a solid 6-12 months to ramp someone up to actually understand what they're doing and be effective in a company.
With an artist you can typically throw him in, give him a computer, and he'll be productive on day 1.

I'm not arguing that the industry hasn't lost the proper allegiance, I absolutely believe that studios are shut down too damn quickly, but it's a simple fact that it's easier to find someone that knows how to use tools than someone that knows how to tell others the right way to use those tools, be it a marketing flunkie that knows the industry well or be it the head of the art design.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:17 Verno

Yep use both, have actually had more issues with Steam over the years than Origin/EA Downloader. To me all it is is another store front. I don't understand what's so difficult about clicking a different short cut. OH NOES I NEED MY 300+ games ALL ON STEAM! Jesus PC elitists are douchebags.

That's because you just want to rant and don't actually listen to the reasons, you do this in pretty much every EA thread now its become a forum trope

It is kind of odd how the developers are treated like assembly line workers.

Yeah exactly, it's bizarre. It would be much more difficult for me to replace a talented artist than it would a biz dev or marketing flunkie, I think it's just a weird reversal of power thing.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

47. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 14:11 RollinThundr

46. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:55 Necrophob

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:17:
Sempai wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:10:
Something needs to change in this industry, these giant publishers need to go away and the model needs to find a way to be reborn.
The sheer amount of abuse and burnout in the industry is telling.
I respect these teams so much, and yet publishers like EA treat them like disposable dogshit.

This business needs a union of some sort that will protect these people from this constant and never ending abuse. I don't know..i don't have the answers..

It's ironic because the support infrastructure in the gaming industry is often untouched - "business development", marketing, HR, IT, etc, while the actual content creators are laid off immediately, often times even if the game breaks even.

It is kind of odd how the developers are treated like assembly line workers.

45. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:45 Bhruic

Clancy wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:10:
EA's US PR team has reportedly called the VideoGamer.com report "patently false".

Yup, they definitely don't comment on rumors.

44. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:40 Beamer

Clancy wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:10:
They updated:

UPDATE: Dino Ignacio, UI Lead at Dead Space developer Visceral Games, has denied today's story about the end of the Dead Space series.

"The reports of our death were greatly exaggerated," he tweeted. "Please stand by."

Ian Milham, creative director at EA and ex-art director on Dead Space, also took to Twitter to deny the story.

"Almost nothing in that article is true," he wrote. Then, in response to a question on Twitter: "I confirm nothing except the hooey in that story."

EA's US PR team has reportedly called the VideoGamer.com report "patently false".

"While we have not announced sales for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and the franchise remains an important IP to EA," an EA spokesperson told Eurogamer.

We'll see.

What is the track record of these rumors, by the way?
Around here we seem to hate Pachter and trust nothing he says but these anonymous tips to random sites will result in 50 page topics about how stupid whoever involved happens to be.
And then often the rumor ends up not true.

Often/occasionally/sometimes.

-------------

43. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:38 Cutter

Huh, guess there weren't enough microtransactions in the game. Surely that's why it failed.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

42. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:17 Beamer

Flatline wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:14:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:17:
The games business is a giant cluster fuck.
This news makes me want to cry because i enjoyed the hell out of this series, even three.

Something needs to change in this industry, these giant publishers need to go away and the model needs to find a way to be reborn.
I respect these teams so much, and yet publishers like EA treat them like disposable dogshit.

This business needs a union of some sort that will protect these people from this constant and never ending abuse. I don't know..i don't have the answers..

A union isn't the answer. A union will get you what Hollywood has - contract workers rather than employees. That's even worse than what we have now.

EA isn't as much of a problem as they were, anyway. They do far less buying and razing awesome studios these days. They don't have the buying power, but I think they've learned that lesson. A bit.
The issue now is more just a function of no one understanding what to do about how much it costs to make a game with cutting edge graphics. Most studios decided the way to handle that is by reducing single player to 6-7 hours.

It isn't just games dealing with this, either. Look at Hollywood now. The most expensive movies of all time are the ones heaviest with CGI - movies like Oz Great and Powerful which is 100% greenscreened cost over $200MM. Nuts. And then the artists doing those effects get laid off and the studios get closed weeks after winning awards.
Don't know the answer. Industry leading computer visuals are just extremely expensive...

Next Gen needed to be about streamlining the production pipeline and really focusing on creating tools that work with the console/platform to reduce the time required for game creators to make content. Instead, we're chasing higher and higher graphical fidelity, and at some point we're going to hit a weird equilibrium where we *can* make better looking games, but it'll simply cost *way* too much to make games at that high of fidelity.

We're starting to see that now actually I think. My gaming laptop is a year or two old now, but it still runs pretty much *everything* I throw at it. I figure that Crysis 3 would run like shit, but there's not many games focusing on that level of graphical fidelity. I'm looking at my steam list of current games and most of them back off of that level of absurd level of detail in favor of artistic liberties, and look the better for it.

I agree.
Whoever creates the easiest tools has always won, but we need a huge jump in ease or automation in the next gen.

-------------

41. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:14 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:17:
The games business is a giant cluster fuck.
This news makes me want to cry because i enjoyed the hell out of this series, even three.

A union isn't the answer. A union will get you what Hollywood has - contract workers rather than employees. That's even worse than what we have now.

EA isn't as much of a problem as they were, anyway. They do far less buying and razing awesome studios these days. They don't have the buying power, but I think they've learned that lesson. A bit.
The issue now is more just a function of no one understanding what to do about how much it costs to make a game with cutting edge graphics. Most studios decided the way to handle that is by reducing single player to 6-7 hours.

It isn't just games dealing with this, either. Look at Hollywood now. The most expensive movies of all time are the ones heaviest with CGI - movies like Oz Great and Powerful which is 100% greenscreened cost over $200MM. Nuts. And then the artists doing those effects get laid off and the studios get closed weeks after winning awards.
Don't know the answer. Industry leading computer visuals are just extremely expensive...

Next Gen needed to be about streamlining the production pipeline and really focusing on creating tools that work with the console/platform to reduce the time required for game creators to make content. Instead, we're chasing higher and higher graphical fidelity, and at some point we're going to hit a weird equilibrium where we *can* make better looking games, but it'll simply cost *way* too much to make games at that high of fidelity.

We're starting to see that now actually I think. My gaming laptop is a year or two old now, but it still runs pretty much *everything* I throw at it. I figure that Crysis 3 would run like shit, but there's not many games focusing on that level of graphical fidelity. I'm looking at my steam list of current games and most of them back off of that level of absurd level of detail in favor of artistic liberties, and look the better for it.

40. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:10 Clancy

They updated:

UPDATE: Dino Ignacio, UI Lead at Dead Space developer Visceral Games, has denied today's story about the end of the Dead Space series.

"The reports of our death were greatly exaggerated," he tweeted. "Please stand by."

Ian Milham, creative director at EA and ex-art director on Dead Space, also took to Twitter to deny the story.

"Almost nothing in that article is true," he wrote. Then, in response to a question on Twitter: "I confirm nothing except the hooey in that story."

"While we have not announced sales for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and the franchise remains an important IP to EA," an EA spokesperson told Eurogamer.

39. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:58 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

38. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:45 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:24:
Often the marketing budget is equal to the development budget or more. Did you really think that million dollar statue of Isaac was going to sell more games?

If they'd rein in the spending and stop paying upper management money that they aren't worth, they could make all the Dead Space games they wanted.

In the case of EA, it's FAR more. Blue had an article awhile back (over a year I think) where a senior producer in EA said that their budget for any given title was as follows:

Research and Development: 25%
Marketing: 75%

Nobody at EA sees anything wrong with this, of course.

Creston

37. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:38 Verno

It's been explained countless times so if you don't see it at this point, its because you don't want to. Some people like the community features and Origins suck while Steam has good ones. Some people like having their library centralized. Some people like Steams great sales while Origins are fewer and there are far less products available. The list goes on.

Origin is a really half assed client with few redeeming features (per product installation directories, no need to run client to run most games) that EA just kind of put out there and hasn't done much with. They could have been Sony with the crazy game share/video streaming stuff, they could have put real effort into community features and so on. The trouble is that they didn't really do anything to win people over.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2013, 12:47.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

36. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:27 Tipsy McStagger

Frijoles wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:20:

My Steam account is over 300 games. My Origin account is 0. I like all my games in one place. I like Steam's interface. I like only having one account to login, although this one is more of a wish since I still have accounts for everything.

Bring DS3 to Steam and remove the Origin requirement and I'd buy it. I loved DS1 and DS2. Same goes for a bunch of other EA games.

This is my thought on this exactly, I would buy it right now for full price if it was on steam. I like steam, I have origin but I don't like anything about the origin interface.. The only thing I have on origin is mass effect 3 and Battlefield 3 and I wish I had those on STEAM.

35. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:24 Agent.X7

Often the problem with games not making money has to do with the marketing campaign. I don't mean that it wasn't effective enough, I mean that they blow millions and millions of dollars trying to impress gaming journalists and people who attend conventions. Often the marketing budget is equal to the development budget or more. Did you really think that million dollar statue of Isaac was going to sell more games?

If they'd rein in the spending and stop paying upper management money that they aren't worth, they could make all the Dead Space games they wanted.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

34. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 12:22 Satsu

In order for DS3 to be available on Steam its microtransaction crap needs to run through Steam; I guess Valve likes to take a cut of DLC and in-game items. Essentially, games on Steam can't have an embedded item store unless it uses Steamworks to sell those items.

I thought it was interesting that DS3 was already $41 on Origin yesterday; EA usually likes to stick to their guns on their $60 prices for extended periods of times so they must be really displeased with the sales. I'll pick it up when it's significantly cheaper.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo