Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 4 Cancelled?

Videogamer.com reports development of Dead Space 4 has been cancelled by Electronic Arts (though a next installment in the shooter series has yet to be announced) based on poor sales of Dead Space 3. They attribute this unconfirmed rumor to "a source familiar with the unannounced project" speaking on the condition of anonymity, who tells them the game was in preproduction at Visceral Games, and that a small team at Visceral Montreal was working on prototypes for the project. Their source says Visceral Montreal was closed as a result of the game being cancelled, which supports a report from a couple of weeks ago where a former Visceral Montreal employee claimed the studio's entire staff was let go. They contacted EA for comment, and were told the company does not comment on rumor or speculation (except when they chose to).

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 22:23 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:53:
You guys do the same thing anytime an EA thread or Origin thread comes up and the excuse given is either I hate EA, or want all my games in one place. It's not my fault BN's posters are some of the most hypocritical and whiny folks on the web.

Stop coming here then if its such a hardship little fella, I'm sure you'll find another community that appreciates your brand of witty insights.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 20:03 Dmitri_M

This makes no sense. Dead Space is still a hugely popular franchise. Does EA have some insanely high expectation of sales? It clearly sold well. Not better than 2, but still great. Spineless reaction. It didn't sell COD numbers, it didn't double in sales. So they can it. Pathetic.  

71. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 17:37 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:58:
You're throwing out a conspiracy theory here that does not add up.

It's not a conspiracy theory. You're just ignoring the very thing you yourself said. EA believes that massive marketing leads to massive sales. Even you somehow believe that. At the same time, marketing expenses can be deducted (and thus lead to lower tax rates, lower dividends, etc.)

So they spend heavily on marketing because they can deduct it. In their mind, they spend a dollar on marketing, said dollar increases sales, and thus revenue, AND they get to deduct it! It's like double jeopardy!

Spending on deductable expenses is like crack for corporations. Both here, in Europe, really everywhere the world over.

If EA took that 75% marketing spend, and would lower it to 10%, and make a game that their players actually really want to play, who knows, maybe they'd start actually making money again. So much money that even after all their legally-approved write-off shenanigans, they'd still have a black line on their balance sheet.

Then again, millions of people pre-ordered SimCity, so that'll never happen.

Creston

70. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 17:21 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:03:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:00:
Wanting all my games in one place isn't a reason to hate Origin, but certainly a pretty valid reason not to use it.

As someone that uses precisely 0 of Steam's social features, it's the one that matters most to me. You get so used to seeing that list. It makes it easy to figure out what you want to play next (idea for Valve: let us order games by priority, so I don't have to scroll through every Alien Shooter game to get to the ones I forgot I bought 5 years ago but really want to play!)

Honestly, clicking play via steam or Orgin or a desktop shortcut really matters that much? I guess I'm just not as anal as some of you guys. Though then again I like console games too so I prolly don't fit into the PC Master Race level of elitism to begin with.

Steam is always open on my PC. It's there. It's convenient.

So yeah, it is a bit of a hassle to have a second option. Switching costs are more real than you think.

I generally have both running but have a folder where all my game shortcuts go anyway regardless of Digital download service. Again it really prolly is a preference thing. I guess to me it just really isn't a big deal or really even a deal at all. If I like an EA game I'll play it, if I like an Activision or TakeTwo or Ubisoft or <insert publisher here> I'll play it. Personally I don't get hung up on so and so publisher is bad because... I like games, fuck the politics of the industry.

69. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 17:12 Overon

Other than the coop, Dead Space 3 is largely same as Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2. I played all three.  

68. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:58 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:53:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:35:
But why do you think they spend so much money advertising? Why does Hollywood? Why does P&G spend more money advertising Pampers than some companies have in GDP?

Because it is an expense, and as such can be deducted. It's really not that hard. Why do corporations like contract labor over full-time employees? Because it is an expense, and can be deducted.

Because advertising works.

No. The idea that "advertising works" period full stop is nuts. It works to an extent. Advertising can definitely get you more sales, but EA seems to believe that if you spend X on advertising, you sales will increase by 3X ad infinitum. Sadly for them, that's not how it works. Spending 75 million dollars on advertising means you have to sell ~3 million extra copies just to make the fucking advertising costs back. (might be a little less, but I believe publishers take home about 25 bucks for every full price game sold?)

Creston

Wait, that's two different things.
Contract over FTE, yeah, you're right. It's allocated differently which makes it desirable (which can be infuriating and lead to stupidity.)

But you're saying they want to spend ad dollars because it can be deducted? With labor it's a choice between an expense that can and an expense that can't.
But with ad dollars you're talking about an expense that can and... saving that cash.

If there was no ROI it doesn't make a difference if it can be deducted or not. You never choose to spend money you don't need to because it can be deducted. Yeah, you may choose to spend it in a way that can be deducted if the choice is between spending it in a way that can and a way that can't, but you don't throw away money you don't need to throw away just because it can be deducted.

You're throwing out a conspiracy theory here that does not add up.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

67. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:53 Creston

But why do you think they spend so much money advertising? Why does Hollywood? Why does P&G spend more money advertising Pampers than some companies have in GDP?

Because it is an expense, and as such can be deducted. It's really not that hard. Why do corporations like contract labor over full-time employees? Because it is an expense, and can be deducted.

Because advertising works.

No. The idea that "advertising works" period full stop is nuts. It works to an extent. Advertising can definitely get you more sales, but EA seems to believe that if you spend X on advertising, you sales will increase by 3X ad infinitum. Sadly for them, that's not how it works. Spending 75 million dollars on advertising means you have to sell ~3 million extra copies just to make the fucking advertising costs back. (might be a little less, but I believe publishers take home about 25 bucks for every full price game sold?)

Creston

66. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:43 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:27:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:40:
But yeah, every EA game needs to move 3-5 million units. And I can tell you that terrifies them (it does every publisher) and that they're desperately trying to find a way to change that (as is every publisher.)

Here's a simple idea. Don't spend 75 million dollars on fucking MARKETING a single game.

I know, it's like Magic.

Also, don't sneakily try to pretend that I said EA isn't losing money, Beamer. That's bull.

Creston

Wait, I thought you did say they aren't losing money.
So we agree they're not?

Because advertising works. Advertising is one of the easiest trackable business expenses out there. If it didn't sell products, it wouldn't be done.
Billy Mays was a millionaire for reasons other than the quality of the goods he hawked.

Marketing works, BUT there is such a thing as too much marketing. Again, spending a million on a statue for a con that only a small percentage of people attend is a waste. They could easily cut the marketing budget to a small percentage of what it is and still reach their target audience.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

65. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:35 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:27:
But yeah, every EA game needs to move 3-5 million units. And I can tell you that terrifies them (it does every publisher) and that they're desperately trying to find a way to change that (as is every publisher.)

Here's a simple idea. Don't spend 75 million dollars on fucking MARKETING a single game.

I know, it's like Magic.

Also, don't sneakily try to pretend that I said EA isn't losing money, Beamer. That's bull.

Creston

Wait, I thought you did say they aren't losing money.
So we agree they're not?

Because advertising works. Advertising is one of the easiest trackable business expenses out there. If it didn't sell products, it wouldn't be done.
Billy Mays was a millionaire for reasons other than the quality of the goods he hawked.

-------------

64. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:27 Creston

I know, it's like Magic.

Creston

63. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:10 Verno

Yep, that's the only reason at all, you're a unique and special snowflake. Are you done with the derail now? Sheesh.

And yeah Creston you win, I'm out of patience with it. He's obviously doing it on purpose on this point.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2013, 16:17.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

62. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:10 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:03:
Wanting all my games in one place isn't a reason to hate Origin, but certainly a pretty valid reason not to use it.

As someone that uses precisely 0 of Steam's social features, it's the one that matters most to me. You get so used to seeing that list. It makes it easy to figure out what you want to play next (idea for Valve: let us order games by priority, so I don't have to scroll through every Alien Shooter game to get to the ones I forgot I bought 5 years ago but really want to play!)

Honestly, clicking play via steam or Orgin or a desktop shortcut really matters that much? I guess I'm just not as anal as some of you guys. Though then again I like console games too so I prolly don't fit into the PC Master Race level of elitism to begin with.

Steam is always open on my PC. It's there. It's convenient.

So yeah, it is a bit of a hassle to have a second option. Switching costs are more real than you think.

-------------

61. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:03 RollinThundr

60. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:02 ASeven

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:02:
Verno, will you please stop engaging the troll? How much more evidence does he have to provide that he's a troll? He literally repeats the exact same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Stop giving him the satisfaction. Save yourself the 5 minutes and do something cool with it, like ogle a hot secretary or something. :)

I'm with Creston here. He reminds me of this.

59. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:01 Verno

Derp derp BoosNews made me read it derp derp.  

58. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 16:00 Beamer

-------------

57. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 15:53 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:02:
Verno, will you please stop engaging the troll? How much more evidence does he have to provide that he's a troll? He literally repeats the exact same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Stop giving him the satisfaction. Save yourself the 5 minutes and do something cool with it, like ogle a hot secretary or something.

Creston
You guys do the same thing anytime an EA thread or Origin thread comes up and the excuse given is either I hate EA, or want all my games in one place. It's not my fault BN's posters are some of the most hypocritical and whiny folks on the web.

56. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 15:40 Beamer

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:00:
The real problem is that EAs internal infrastructure only supports megahits now, they halfassed EA Partners and killed it quickly when shareholders didn't like the small margins they were seeing. Every EA game needs to move 5-6 million units now or else. That combined with the rising cost of development (there were like what, 10000 games made for the PS2 and less than 1000 for the PS3?) means we're going to be seeing a lot of Battlefield in the future and less interesting stuff like Dead Space.

EA Partners is still alive and well. In fact, there was just an article about it last week (or the week before) in which some company was discussing why they signed up with EA Partners despite disliking EA.

EA, as a whole, is trying pretty hard to right their ship. They're losing money (despite opinion here.) Their stock is tanking. Fast Company just named Activision one of the most innovative companies of 2013, while EA was named the most hated by whomever did that poll (not a games-industry poll.)

I think a lot of their old, horrible habits are dead. That word hasn't gotten out, because they were there so long, but I'm pretty certain they're dead.
Which doesn't mean they haven't been replaced with new, horrible habits.

But yeah, every EA game needs to move 3-5 million units. And I can tell you that terrifies them (it does every publisher) and that they're desperately trying to find a way to change that (as is every publisher.) Which is why things will be interesting in 2014. Will the new consoles save everyone? Ehhh, I think everyone is skeptical of that. Will the new consoles raise development costs? Yup. So what's the move? Do you go with smaller, less risky games? The publishers can't easily do that because putting your eggs into a low-risk, low-reward basket is worse than putting them into a high-risk, high-reward basket (and EA, due to its stock price, certainly has a very finite number of eggs.) They may be able to do some reorganization to that thinking, but it can't be immediate. So then do they play with price? Do they go higher, meaning they need to sell fewer games but are also guaranteed to sell fewer games? Do they go lower, meaning they need to sell more games but it's easier to sell more games (B&M is the biggest roadblock to this idea. Clearly not the only roadblock, but the hardest to move.)

Expect the publishers to be very creative in 2014. Which, sadly, won't necessarily mean more creative products.

-------------

55. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 15:02 Creston

Verno, will you please stop engaging the troll? How much more evidence does he have to provide that he's a troll? He literally repeats the exact same fucking thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Stop giving him the satisfaction. Save yourself the 5 minutes and do something cool with it, like ogle a hot secretary or something.

Creston

54. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 15:00 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:43:
Because I've yet to see a valid reason beyond I hate EA and prefer steam. The way half of you guys talk, you'd think John Riccitiello poured sugar in your gas tank while anally raping your girlfriend.

Several have been stated in this very thread, let alone the countless others where people patiently explain it to you while you throw a fit. You either have a reading comprehension issue or just refuse to see any opinion other than your own. As usual you just ignore it and resort to hyperbole which seems to be a problem with you in general.

I'm not sure why they thought dead space 3 would sell if it was presented as what shipped. It feels too much like more dead space two rather than a new addition to the franchise. It's also an action game now, so many enemies just get thrown at you the game play is run and gun most of the game.

The publisher reflex to everything is to make it more "accessible" which is code for dudebro'ing it up by dumbing down mechanics to reach a wider audience. The problem with that behavior is that it ignores niche products like Dead Space that could potentially grow their market over time or just need smaller budgets and more realistic profit targets.

The real problem is that EAs internal infrastructure only supports megahits now, they halfassed EA Partners and killed it quickly when shareholders didn't like the small margins they were seeing. Every EA game needs to move 5-6 million units now or else. That combined with the rising cost of development (there were like what, 10000 games made for the PS2 and less than 1000 for the PS3?) means we're going to be seeing a lot of Battlefield in the future and less interesting stuff like Dead Space.

It's kind of ironic because Dead Space itself is a product of EA saying ok, we're going to make some original games now instead of derivative sequels forever.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2013, 15:08.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo