Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues

EA announces that the Windows edition of SimCity is now available in North America, saying the OS X edition of Maxis' urban planning reboot will follow sometime this spring. The SimCity Website has a blog post from Kip Katsarelis where the Senior Producer on the project offers some thoughts on what to expect. The first review scores are up on Metacritic, where it has so far received much acclaim from critics, while the user score scrapes along the bottom, as many gamers are using this opportunity to voice disapproval of the game's DRM, which requires it to be played online. On that topic, the Origin twitter account has a steady stream of tweets explaining delays in distributing and unlocking the game though the Origin service, which is struggling with the demand, at various times saying the delay to unlock the game would span 90 minutes to as much as four hours. Polygon has word from Origin global community manager Marcel Hatam that the service is still struggling, and they note a post on the EA Forums sympathizing with frustration at the delays, and offering refunds for unhappy customers. They explain that they understand how important pre-loads are to a smooth launch, and apologize that they could not put this knowledge to use in this case, saying: "This didn't come together for SimCity unfortunately, for which I again apologize." Here's part of the release announcement:

Everything is intelligently simulated in this new SimCity, from all of the Sims in a city, to every kilowatt of power pulsing through a region thanks to the powerful GlassBox Engine. It is the most expansive city management game yet where multi-city gameplay across regions delivers a larger playing field. No longer are players relegated to playing one single city, now they can manage and play up to 16 cities at once. Each city can have different specializations; they can share services and trade resources; they can help or even hinder each other; every decision a player makes in each city has impact in the broader region. Its up to the player to decide where and how they play.

For the first time in the series multiplayer is added to the gameplay giving players a new dimension to the game, as decisions impact both the city and the region, creating new ways to play by collaborating or competing to earn achievements. Underpinning SimCity is a live service that simulates real-time updates and pushes them to players in the form of new challenges and achievements. Players will track their progression alongside their friends and the world for the most polluted city, the richest city and more. Whether players play by themselves, with their friends or with the rest of the world, SimCity will challenge players to create the city of their dreams answer the question what kind of mayor will you be?

View
120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 15:10 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:07:
Not sure if it's original or not and has been posted already but this showed up on my facebook feed from a friend with the added message that it's an 18 hour wait to reach their support line.

How many more bridges can EA burn this week? Stay tuned!

Well played, makes the post below yours look even dumber than first glance

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 15:09 ExGemini

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:03:
I'm completely and utterly outraged that I am being forced to be connected to the internet to constantly view and post on these forums. I am a loyal, dedicated fan and as such deserve to have things my way and get to choose whether or not I want to be online for these forums. This isn't communist China, you shouldn't be allowed to force us fans into something we don't want to do. If I want to be on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere that has no internet, I should still be able to post on these forums and view topics.

If my demands are not met within the next 2 day, I'm going to pirate these forums. I'm going to use the internet to find a way to use these forums without the internet. Then who will have the last laugh? Me! That's who. The loyal fan(s) which you're rolling over by this requirement! Unbelievable!

They don't give a fuck about loyal fans.
Brainless masses that play SimWhatEver on FaceBook, always trumps the loyal fans.
EA goal is not making good games, is making a game that will sell milions, period.
THey are trying to make a second The Sims.

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 15:07 Wallshadows

Not sure if it's original or not and has been posted already but this showed up on my facebook feed from a friend with the added message that it's an 18 hour wait to reach their support line.

How many more bridges can EA burn this week? Stay tuned!

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 15:03 Slick

I'm completely and utterly outraged that I am being forced to be connected to the internet to constantly view and post on these forums. I am a loyal, dedicated fan and as such deserve to have things my way and get to choose whether or not I want to be online for these forums. This isn't communist China, you shouldn't be allowed to force us fans into something we don't want to do. If I want to be on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere that has no internet, I should still be able to post on these forums and view topics.

If my demands are not met within the next 2 day, I'm going to pirate these forums. I'm going to use the internet to find a way to use these forums without the internet. Then who will have the last laugh? Me! That's who. The loyal fan(s) which you're rolling over by this requirement! Unbelievable!

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:57 J

Popcorn  

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:56 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:11:
Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:54:
It's not just travelling that always online buggers up. Try playing it now, particularly if you've preordered, when the servers are swamped ... surprise surprise. It seems preorderers are being screwed in favour of people buying now because, hey screw you we've already got your money.

Which is why with a game like this or any game in particular it is better not to preorder but wait a bit and see how it turns out.
People who preordered the game should have been well aware that this may happen. I am not saying this is right or this isn't sucking big time sure it does, but it is no different from an MMO always online requirements. If servers go down you can't play.
This game is not an MMO but you don't have to pay monthly fee for it either like you would for an mmo. It still have the same online req.
Give it a day or so I am sure it will be up and running, in the mean time they offer people a refund, so it is not like you said "hehe we got your money screw you"

If it's true that they're prioritising people who are purchasing it now over those who preordered then I think that is what they're doing. It's good that they're offering refunds but I think they know that not many people are going to do that because these people want to play the game.

How many people who are angry because they can't play the game they want are going to respond by ensuring they can't get to play the game.

I'm tempted to see if I'm eligible for a refund. I preordered before I knew it was always-online. It's not released in the UK yet so it's not like I'm having any problems but if I'd known it was always-online, I wouldn't have preordered.

Why not just cancel it then?
If you are pretty sure you will not be happy with the product and most likely will have connection issues which will tick you off, just cancel it and buy it again later when you have seen more player feedback and/or gameplay vids and know for sure you want the game.
It is not like you are getting a hot deal by preordering it anyways, and EA is known for putting their games on sale very shortly after release. Crysis 3 was or still is on sale for $39.99, and when did that come out like 2 weeks ago?

Steam: SpectralMeat

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:52 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:31:
Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:26:
ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:13:
Also, the true sequel for SC4 can be found here.

That looks interesting. I'd like to see more about the game, with videos and screenshots of work in progress. They seem more focussed on what EA are doing than their own project.

I guess I must be looking at a different page because I see a single text section out of several, its just explaining the genesis of the project and their ideals for the end result.

I agree though they need to show off more of their work before people will commit funding. They're also coming at a bad time, I think people are waiting for the first wave of game projects to materialize before they start dumping money into others.

Word is that some of the guys behind this project are some of the big modders from the SC4 community. If this is true then I believe this project could turn out well.

Either way it got my interest, that's for sure. The moment they upload a video that shows something running and that proves they have some work on this I'll back it.

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:39 NewMaxx

Downloaded from Origin at 12:01 AM EST. The game was ready to play within 30 minutes, and I did the tutorial before taking a break. Came back, another break, then a queue. Within one queue's length (30 minutes), I was back in. Was in/out a dozen times from them until now (over twelve hours later) with zero issues, lag, etc. Tried out some of the Origin functions, like Twitch.tv, friend stuff, etc., all worked pretty well, actually. For a brief period the "SimCity World" stats were offline but that was expected. All in all, pretty solid launch for me, although I do think they should have allowed preloading.

I'm no fan of strict or online DRM. Then again, I also bought Guild Wars 2. I got my money's worth out of that, and will get my money's worth out of this. People just need to manage their expectations and come to the conclusion that the world doesn't revolve around them. In fact, I'd say the games if anything are revolving around average people over the kind of people who throw hissy fits on here and Metacritic. Adapt or get a new hobby.

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:39 Cutter

avianflu wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:37:
is it wrong to hope this game tanks?

No, only a clown would buy this. A clown.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:37 avianflu

is it wrong to hope this game tanks?

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:37 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:11:
It's not just travelling that always online buggers up. Try playing it now, particularly if you've preordered, when the servers are swamped ... surprise surprise. It seems preorderers are being screwed in favour of people buying now because, hey screw you we've already got your money.

Which is why with a game like this or any game in particular it is better not to preorder but wait a bit and see how it turns out.
People who preordered the game should have been well aware that this may happen. I am not saying this is right or this isn't sucking big time sure it does, but it is no different from an MMO always online requirements. If servers go down you can't play.
This game is not an MMO but you don't have to pay monthly fee for it either like you would for an mmo. It still have the same online req.
Give it a day or so I am sure it will be up and running, in the mean time they offer people a refund, so it is not like you said "hehe we got your money screw you"

If it's true that they're prioritising people who are purchasing it now over those who preordered then I think that is what they're doing. It's good that they're offering refunds but I think they know that not many people are going to do that because these people want to play the game.

How many people who are angry because they can't play the game they want are going to respond by ensuring they can't get to play the game.

I'm tempted to see if I'm eligible for a refund. I preordered before I knew it was always-online. It's not released in the UK yet so it's not like I'm having any problems but if I'd known it was always-online, I wouldn't have preordered.

- Quboid

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:26 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:12:
http://i.imgur.com/vV8PLqv.jpg

Every time I get excited about this game I see something like this and shake my head.

Where's the gameplay? I mean, I get going smaller, it isn't a big deal to me, to a point.

This is like SimCincinnati.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:11 SpectralMeat

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:04 Optional nickname

People that bought SimCity , and are angry with it, clearly paints the picture of what has gone terribly wrong with humanity. It's like they have to read and sift through 135 pages on the IMDB user review forums, all mostly agreeing to 0 out of 10 stars, that the movie was a waste of time, but yet, still have to see it and review it, knowing it will be a disaster and a waste of time. To each their own, but, whatever man, grow a spine people and walk your talks.

/remembers fondly the first ever simcity, and pretending this one never exists. done! may EA and all its shareholders get lost. you are no longer needed.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 13:00 Verno

It's not just travelling that always online buggers up. Try playing it now, particularly if you've preordered, when the servers are swamped ... surprise surprise.

Agreed. People tend to overlook all of the day to day oddities that make connection persistence an annoyance. Your internet goes out, a family member is running BitTorrent, the auth servers are down, the game servers are down, a route somewhere between your ISP and the game servers is flapping, etc etc etc. Once a game has stopped providing direct revenue there is no incentive for them keep it going either, I paid $60 for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 which in my mind included multiplayer but my friends and I can't even nostalgia run that anymore since Ubisoft has the auth servers up once in a blue moon. The implications there are much worse with persistent connection SP games.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 12:54 Quboid

Verno, there is info on the game but I'm not left with any sense of how the game plays out. They are talking more about these great features like terraforming and modding, without discussing the basic game underneath. I assume it is like Simcity 4 but the only Simcity references are to criticise Simcity 5 and EA - which is rather unprofessional and doesn't fill me with faith that they're going to deliver.

They don't have a single screenshot of a town, of an actual settlement, or even just a few buildings - the few shots they have are of specific features and again don't convey the actual game.

- Quboid

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 12:49 Wolfox

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:26:
We've had this discussion before - people are OK with Steam because it doesn't really intrude or prevent you from playing and it comes with benefits that make dealing with the barely-noticeable DRM worthwhile.

Though this is generally true, sometimes Steam will actually intrude or prevent you from playing. It happened to me and to friends quite a few times. Few times, of course (it works fine the vast majority of the time), but the possibility is always there. Just saying.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 12:40 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:58:
One of the guys on that ArsTechnica was responsible for this nonsense so I'm not sure how worth listening to they are.
Wow nice.
As for SimCity I've been in the betas both of them and I liked it. I did enjoy the gameplay. I don't care what the title of the game is.
It may not be a true sequel or step forward from the previous SimCity in terms of pushing the city limits etc., but I did like the gameplay.
The always online DRM sucks big time for people traveling a lot, for me personally it is a non issue.
I have the boxed version put aside at the local store.
I'll give this whole unlock mess time to clear up until the weekend when I'd have time to play this anyways, and decide then if I want the game still or not.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 12:39 Creston

ASeven wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:12:
http://i.imgur.com/vV8PLqv.jpg

I'd die of laughter if it wasn't so true.
(only problem is that it won't be called Sim City 6. It'll be called SimCity 2K14.)

Creston

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 12:32 Tanto Edge

Hey remember when you'd go to the arcade to play your favorite game, but you got there and there was a few guys ahead of you, and each of them had like five bucks?
Ain't it funny how the more things change...

The DRM card seems a perfectly valid card in this case.
DRM is causing wait times to play a game people paid money for?
Ubisoft shut that shit down for a very specific reason.
It just so happens that EA has enough money to buy Vatican City so handing out refunds on this steaming pile of dreams isn't going to make a dent in them.
Besides, it's all digital copies anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo