Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues

EA announces that the Windows edition of SimCity is now available in North America, saying the OS X edition of Maxis' urban planning reboot will follow sometime this spring. The SimCity Website has a blog post from Kip Katsarelis where the Senior Producer on the project offers some thoughts on what to expect. The first review scores are up on Metacritic, where it has so far received much acclaim from critics, while the user score scrapes along the bottom, as many gamers are using this opportunity to voice disapproval of the game's DRM, which requires it to be played online. On that topic, the Origin twitter account has a steady stream of tweets explaining delays in distributing and unlocking the game though the Origin service, which is struggling with the demand, at various times saying the delay to unlock the game would span 90 minutes to as much as four hours. Polygon has word from Origin global community manager Marcel Hatam that the service is still struggling, and they note a post on the EA Forums sympathizing with frustration at the delays, and offering refunds for unhappy customers. They explain that they understand how important pre-loads are to a smooth launch, and apologize that they could not put this knowledge to use in this case, saying: "This didn't come together for SimCity unfortunately, for which I again apologize." Here's part of the release announcement:

Everything is intelligently simulated in this new SimCity, from all of the Sims in a city, to every kilowatt of power pulsing through a region thanks to the powerful GlassBox Engine. It is the most expansive city management game yet where multi-city gameplay across regions delivers a larger playing field. No longer are players relegated to playing one single city, now they can manage and play up to 16 cities at once. Each city can have different specializations; they can share services and trade resources; they can help or even hinder each other; every decision a player makes in each city has impact in the broader region. Itís up to the player to decide where and how they play.

For the first time in the series multiplayer is added to the gameplay giving players a new dimension to the game, as decisions impact both the city and the region, creating new ways to play by collaborating or competing to earn achievements. Underpinning SimCity is a live service that simulates real-time updates and pushes them to players in the form of new challenges and achievements. Players will track their progression alongside their friends and the world for the most polluted city, the richest city and more. Whether players play by themselves, with their friends or with the rest of the world, SimCity will challenge players to create the city of their dreams answer the question Ė what kind of mayor will you be?

View
120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

100. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 09:06 nin

ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 08:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 08:25:
Popcorn

In this world nothing can be said to be certain except death, taxes and RollingThunder and Slick always posting on EA threads.

We need drug testing as apart of registration.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

99. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 08:39 ASeven

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 08:25:
Popcorn

In this world nothing can be said to be certain except death, taxes and RollingThunder and Slick always posting on EA threads.

98. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 08:25 SpectralMeat

Popcorn  

Steam: SpectralMeat

97. removed Mar 6, 2013, 08:15 ASeven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2013, 09:29.

96. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 07:13 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 05:35:
no i'm quite serious, i'm the fool.

Should have stopped there, we know.

95. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 06:42 InBlack

Oh so now its cool that people cant get 'in the club' and play? Hahahah this guy cracks me up.

Did anyone manage to get through support and get their money back?

I have a nifty blue line!

94. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 05:35 Slick

no i'm quite serious, i'm the fool.

if this site has been engineered for people to qq from the ground up then well done.

"blues news" it all makes so much sense now, i was blind but now i see!

and i'm not being facetious at all, i'm quite honest.

this is a place to bitch about when things go wrong.

could they have pre-loaded? yes.

was that bad? yes.

did they severely under-estimate their server capacities on launch day? yes.

is the one colossal fuck up now that everyone's playing on the european servers, and you can't move your regions across servers, so you start a 16-city region with your friends then you're going to be on a euro server for the next 2 months? yes.

is it a few suits making bad decisions and not listening to their technicians who i'm sure gave them pleanty of heads up that there would be issues? probably.

is it the end of the world? no. why? because i've been playing all night, day 1, couple crashes, no biggie, can't remember a day 1 launch of any game that didn't have a few hiccups, let alone one that was online-only.

if we're to set aside the needless bickering for a moment and actually think outside the box as to the REASON this happened, (evil isn't a reason) i'm thinking that:

A) all press is good press

B) a line-up infront of the club looks good to everyone standing in the street.even if there's no one in the club, from an outsider's perspective it looks like it's a rammed party.

it's fucked up, but ask anyone in the club scene, it's true. just a thought.

93. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 04:07 ASeven

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 03:04:

Oh good grief, go take your meds.

92. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 03:04 Slick

OKAY WAIT FULL STOP

-----------------------------

have i been had?

blues's news?

singing the blues? cry cry cry qqq

i guess you're right, i am the outsider. optimist.

maybe you're all right i'm playing SimCity with my sexy fabulous Astrophysics PhD wife, listening to tunes a recording of the epic 4 hour set me and my mate did back to back scratching glitch hop trap dubstep electro uplifting oozzzyness, cause i'm not a fucking "respawned" "unbanned" or whathaveyou. but. but i would like to have met this man or woman, as we have intersecting ideals. sounds like you all collectively showed them that you're nothing but pessimists.

reality. look at it, it's launch day, my wife and i have had no problems playing at all, this game is pretty awsome.

I bitched on the EA forums that the game was too easy watching the first disaster "let's all be mayor" video where the sims just stayed there??? but that was obviously padded code.

I tried to build my home street where i grew up, and goddamn did that city crumble! of course i was trying to see if my residential and lightly commercial city could sustain itself on it's own, while the wife handles the industry all the way across this enormous region arc like a curved "C" shape, where we eash buit ferry docks to have re residents commute.

oh wait i'm sorry, i was talking about something, do go on hating for the sake of hate, you know you all feed off of each other in a giant frothy santorum.

=p

91. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 02:41 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:29:
Nah, I was thinking more of fredster. And POO ASS. POO ASS was hilarious. Who had a phantom online phd again, except the unnamed one who thrice-uttered name summons him?

Creston

No no no no.... Don't even think it.

90. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 02:32 Dev

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 00:11:
Also, I did lose connection to the Net a couple times (one a 10min break) and it didn't kick me out of the game/city.
Slightly better than ubi's then, because I bought settlers on a good sale and got kicked out on even a short disconnection.

89. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 6, 2013, 00:11 DarkCntry

Spent a few hours playing it after it arrived earlier, I didn't have too many issues until now, which is 9pm so I expected it.

The only issues I had was that the server registering the changes, such as buildings building at the right rate and the actual game speed not syncing correctly.

The game, itself, isn't all that bad...the 2km≤ sizes are restricting, but honestly I don't really have an overall problem. It just forces you to focus more on the specializations.

Also, I did lose connection to the Net a couple times (one a 10min break) and it didn't kick me out of the game/city.

88. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 23:55 Dev

Redmask wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 22:39:
Also if that jerkoff EA defender pops his head in here to give me shit about how EA is sunshine and roses and people are such meanies to Origin then let me preemptively say: get stuffed you moron.
He already did, or at least one of them did.

87. removed Mar 5, 2013, 22:39 Redmask

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 7, 2013, 17:28.

86. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 19:18 zombiefan

Kosumo wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 19:06:
Nuclear Watchdog was my favorite ..... subject 668 .... heheheh

Ha! I remember Nuclear Corndog. Too bad his dad got raped in prison.

85. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 19:06 Kosumo

Nuclear Watchdog was my favorite ..... subject 668 .... heheheh  

84. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 18:14 Yosemite Sam

Heh so the traffic AI is retarded, lol, I got that impression watching TBs vid last night. Don't expect a fix either, we are still waiting for SC4s commuter AI to be fixed. Enjoy the pretty GFX because I fully expect a lot of whats under the hood to be broken.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

83. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 18:09 ASeven

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:29:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:00:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:42:

Sigh. In the old days the trolls were at least funny.

Back when they had phantom online phds?

Nah, I was thinking more of fredster. And POO ASS. POO ASS was hilarious. Who had a phantom online phd again, except the unnamed one who thrice-uttered name summons him?

Ya! Ya! Shub-Niggurath and the Thousand Smarts of the Woods!

82. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 17:29 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:00:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:42:

Sigh. In the old days the trolls were at least funny.

Back when they had phantom online phds?

Creston

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 17:25 Optional nickname

Julio wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:02:
Maybe EA should charge a microtransaction fee to reduce the DRM delay. Win-Win all around!

Everyone had to know going in that this game's DRM was going to be a mess.

revisiting this comment by 2016~2020 should be made real.

120 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo