Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arma III Alpha Released

Steam News announces the release of the Arma 3 Alpha, providing the promised early access for those who preorder the upcoming military shooter sequel from Bohemia Interactive. Here's how this works, which includes word on sale:

Purchase the Arma 3 Alpha now to receive immediate access to the Alpha, 3 Alpha Lite invites for your friends (available March 14th to June 18th 2013) as well as Beta access and the Full game upon it's release!

In the Alpha, you'll be able to explore Stratis Island, enjoy a taste of Arma 3's diverse gameplay, and team up with your friends to fight against enemies in 2 co-op mulitplayer scenarios! There are also 8 different vehicles featured in the Alpha and a collection of weapons to help customize your loadout.

In celebration of the Alpha's launch, we're also discounting all previous Arma titles! Now until March 12th at 10AM Pacific time, take 50% off the entire Arma and Arma II series of games!

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:28 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:09:
Obviously I see the differences between Arma3 and WarZ, but I still would much rather Steam not allow Alphas on there.

BIS is being genuine and upfront about things, but now we're setting precedents for Alphas on Steam, and soon a less ethical dev will try to fuck people over again.

Creston

I don't mind being able to sample a game early and even assist in making the game better, nice pre-order bonus and you can still judge if you want to get involved with the game at a number of different levels before spending any money. Watch streams of people playing the game, youtube videos of actual gameplay, and there will be plenty of free invites to the alpha minus multiplayer gameplay.

Natural Selection 2 was also done this way as well, minus the ability to sample before purchase bit.

EA on the other hand, pre-order this other game and get early access to the beta of BF4 (or whatever) is just underhanded marketing crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:24 nin

It may be but still I do believe games that have a public Alpha/Beta may end up in a less buggy state when released then games that do not.
That's just what I believe in anyways, it may not be true.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and I semi agree, provided the dev takes time to address them and not push for shipping first.

I'm on vacation next week and may just have to snag this...more impressions are always welcome in the meantime.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:21 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:17:
as well as the community can help them iron out the bugs and hopefully have a much less buggy experience with the final game.

OK, that's some serious optimism!

It may be but still I do believe games that have a public Alpha/Beta will end up in a less buggy state when released then games that do not.
That's just what I believe in anyways, it may not be true.
Either way I am happy to have some hands on time with Arma3 even if it is just an Alpha version.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:19 Jedi Master

FWIW, I've just played the alpha for an hour and frankly it's in better shape than Arma 1 or 2 were on release. Granted there are lots of things currently not in there (alpha, not feature complete), but what they DO have seems to be working well. The SCUBA stuff is awesome.
Vehicle physics now uses PhysX and they move logically now. No more "skating on ice that appears to be a grassy hillside".

Oh, and unlike both Arma 1 and 2, it runs smoother. My current PC (i7-2600k and GTX570, neither OC'd) is arguably older than my setups at the time of those releases, and they ran slower and more choppy then.

29. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:17 nin

as well as the community can help them iron out the bugs and hopefully have a much less buggy experience with the final game.

OK, that's some serious optimism!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:17 Quboid

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:44:
I always tell myself not to buy Arma, it's glitchy as hell and you'll never play it enough to justify it. Then I buy it. Then I find it's glitchy as hell and I don't play it enough to justify it.

Dammit I'm so tempted. I should wait for a demo but that looks awesome and it's a good price. The movement and feel of Arma2 was what killed it for me and apparently that's fixed.

Decisions decisions decisions.

I didn't last 30 minutes. Oh well. At least if it's a shit game, it's better to buy a game that's shit for trying too much than a game that's shit because the publisher is trying to push DLC and social bullshit on you *cough*Simcity*cough*.

It's downloading at 6MB/s, so if nothing else, I'm enjoying the reminder of my massive e-penis.

- Quboid

27. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:50 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:46:
Obviously I see the differences between Arma3 and WarZ, but I still would much rather Steam not allow Alphas on there.

They don't really have a choice. They want to alpha test it, but they have gone the "integrated Steamworks" approach. So there's no real way to get it tested without going through Steam. And since Valve wants companies to use Steamworks (more money for them), they aren't likely to throw anything in the way of companies going this route.

That's a very good point, and I didn't think about that.

Creston

26. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:46 Bhruic

They don't really have a choice. They want to alpha test it, but they have gone the "integrated Steamworks" approach. So there's no real way to get it tested without going through Steam. And since Valve wants companies to use Steamworks (more money for them), they aren't likely to throw anything in the way of companies going this route.

25. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:44 Quboid

I always tell myself not to buy Arma, it's glitchy as hell and you'll never play it enough to justify it. Then I buy it. Then I find it's glitchy as hell and I don't play it enough to justify it.

Dammit I'm so tempted. I should wait for a demo but that looks awesome and it's a good price. The movement and feel of Arma2 was what killed it for me and apparently that's fixed.

Decisions decisions decisions.

- Quboid

24. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:28 SpectralMeat

McSterls wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:21:
nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:35:
http://youtu.be/83NkPguw9Jg

Wow, looks good.

It looks great! But, when I bought Arma II, final..not Alpha or Beta there were a lot of bugs that had to be ironed out. I still haven't gone back and played it. So why buy Arma III as an Alpha. you know it's going to be problimatic.
Because your money helps the developer finish the game, as well as the community can help them iron out the bugs and hopefully have a much less buggy experience with the final game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

23. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:21 McSterls

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:35:
http://youtu.be/83NkPguw9Jg

Wow, looks good.

It looks great! But, when I bought Arma II, final..not Alpha or Beta there were a lot of bugs that had to be ironed out. I still haven't gone back and played it. So why buy Arma III as an Alpha. you know it's going to be problimatic.

22. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:15 Whiskers

I can agree about having Alpha's on steam. I think it's fine that the Alpha is ON steam since that is the platform the game will be on, but I think they should have just let people buy it from their website and get steam keys rather than buying it directly through the steam store. That way if you really want to be a part of the alpha it's not just a Top Seller on steam that will cause people to say "oh look, Arma 3 is out!" There are already post with people not actually reading what they are buying and others complaining about bugs, etc.

21. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:09 Creston

BIS is being genuine and upfront about things, but now we're setting precedents for Alphas on Steam, and soon a less ethical dev will try to fuck people over again.

Creston

20. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:04 Jedi Master

WarZ didn't say it was an alpha, for one, it claimed it was done!

This is basically the ultimate pre-order bonus...in addition to it being cheaper than waiting for release, you get to play the alpha and then the beta first. Everything offered is clearly stated. Also, unlike WarZ, Arma 3 is based on Arma 2, based on Arma 1, based on OFP, so this is likely one of the more polished alphas you'll ever see because they're not working from scratch.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, the price will go up when it hits beta, but that will still be cheaper than final launch price.

19. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 12:03 Hiwkeye

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 11:40:
Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by this as well. If WarZ got banned until it had its shit sorted (austensibly), why is someone else's Alpha allowed?

Since this is clearly marked as "alpha" and is a reputable developer who has released products in the past, I would say that gives them a little bit of leeway. I can understand the concern, but if that is the case, hold off till the beta or release time frame.

The game is actually very good on the basics, but I haven't looked enough to see much more, let alone an organized multipayer game.

18. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:53 PunkiBastardo

If WarZ got banned until it had its shit sorted (austensibly), why is someone else's Alpha allowed?

Well for one it clearly states it's an Alpha in the Steam description. I guess if WarZ had mentioned anything like that or hadn't outright lied about the features of their game they wouldn't have gotten that ban.

17. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:52 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 09:51:
I know indies paved the way for this but I am really iffy about alpha stuff being on Steam, it just doesn't seem like a good precedent to set even with all of their other efforts at curation.

Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by this as well. If WarZ got banned until it had its shit sorted (austensibly), why is someone else's Alpha allowed?

Creston

Arma is special case

16. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:49 Jivaro

I know indies paved the way for this but I am really iffy about alpha stuff being on Steam, it just doesn't seem like a good precedent to set even with all of their other efforts at curation.

Creston

Isn't that because WarZ claimed stuff was already in there that wasn't...and wasn't going to be for some time...while they were charging money for things that would be used up or disappear by the time the game released, while this is basically the same as buying the full game and getting to participate in the beta testing of said game that to my knowledge won't have a micro-transaction store or the ability to lose anything you have already paid for? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that there is a world of difference between the two scenarios.

15. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:44 LittleMe

Done downloading!  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

14. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 11:40 Creston

Creston

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo