Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's this week's list of the 10 bestselling titles on Steam:

1. Tomb Raider
  2. BioShock Infinite
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Revolution
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Season Pass
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. Sniper Elite - Nazi Zombie Army
  9. Mark of the Ninja
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 22:17 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:57:
mlw wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 19:45:
Yep, I am afraid of that too. On hearing about all the QTE and auto savepoints, I have cancelled my pre-order.
Why did you even bother preordering the game if you aren't sure about it? Just wait until it is out and read the reviews, player feedback etc., and get a better deal then by preordering.
The "extras" or discount they give you for preordering a game these days hardly ever worth it.

You can get some pretty significant discounts for pre-ordering games at GMG. I typically save at least $20. For Bioshock Infinite, I saved $30 (50% of the total price) and I got free copy of Bioshock 1 and another 2K game. I also used $10 of credit I got for pre-ordering XCOM, so I ended up paying a total of $20 for Bioshock Infinite and will be playing it day one.

Of course, you shouldn't pre-order games unless you've done a fair amount of research on it. My research on TR tells me that game has significantly reduced and dumbed down the puzzle-solving and platforming aspects of the series, which is more than enough to make me not pre-order it. I'll probably pick it up when it's $15 or less.

On a side note, did any of the TR games ever use quick save? I thought they all used checkpoint saves. If the presence of checkpoints offends you, how did you enjoy the previous games?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 21:45 born2expire

Yep, I am afraid of that too. On hearing about all the QTE and auto savepoints, I have cancelled my pre-order.
Why did you even bother preordering the game if you aren't sure about it? Just wait until it is out and read the reviews, player feedback etc., and get a better deal then by preordering.
The "extras" or discount they give you for preordering a game these days hardly ever worth it.

Really? I got mine from GMG when they where offering 10% off for preorder than a 20% off code and then with purchase I got like $8 GMG credit. Great discount in my mind.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 20:12 mlw

I saw the 10% discount on steam and had used a steam wallet gift card. I enjoyed previous tomb raider games, so thought this one a no brainer. BUT, then I discovered, the QTE mania and auto checkpoint save system that I hate; hence, cancelled.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 19:57 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 19:45 mlw

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 16:19:
Watch Tomb Raider fucking suck, and all those morons who pre-ordered are pissed off that it's an oversimplified quicktime-event sequence on rails for consoles.

I fully expect that to happen. I'll wait for some reviews first (and not the kind that are paid to review games before their release). And then I'll wait some more for a sale. XD

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 18:48 PHJF

That's because the combat in TR was always awful. It didn't become passable until Legend. Uncharted is a great series that sells like hotcakes, so if they want to ape it they can go ahead. It's not like they've been trying to hide the fact.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 18:32 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 15:22:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:34:
PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:32:
Fantastic Tombr Raider game, with a pinch of Uncharted.

Excuse me? Wasn't that "Fantastic Uncharted game, with a pinch of Tomb Raider"?

So you've played it already and know it's all gun fights? From what I've seen of the game, there's more to it than just shooting everything that moves.

Personally I think it's about time a TR game has combat in it that didn't feel like an afterthought during development.

This. I am not saying PHJF is wrong, I haven't played it yet either, but for all we know the marketing team wants the mainstream to compare the game to a highly awarded and recognizable franchise like Uncharted and thus focuses on those aspects with the marketing. The full game itself may not be as similar as they are presenting it. That may or may not be a good thing. I mean, I love the Uncharted games but only because they aren't as QTE based as the marketing videos make them out to be. If they were they would be boring.

When I watch the videos of TR I definitely see Uncharted presentation and gameplay elements, but I see elements of many other games as well. I am hoping that doesn't make it into a boring game with a lack of identity, but time will tell I suppose. First game I have pre-ordered in 5 months. Sometimes my "want" of a game to be good just overrides my common sense. You would think I would have learned my lesson about pre-ordering any mainstream title by now. :/

It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

TR may still be a good game but a good Tomb Raider game? Not so much.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 18:37.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 16:22 RollinThundr

Jivaro wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 15:22:

So you've played it already and know it's all gun fights? From what I've seen of the game, there's more to it than just shooting everything that moves.

Personally I think it's about time a TR game has combat in it that didn't feel like an afterthought during development.

This. I am not saying PHJF is wrong, I haven't played it yet either, but for all we know the marketing team wants the mainstream to compare the game to a highly awarded and recognizable franchise like Uncharted and thus focuses on those aspects with the marketing. The full game itself may not be as similar as they are presenting it. That may or may not be a good thing. I mean, I love the Uncharted games but only because they aren't as QTE based as the marketing videos make them out to be. If they were they would be boring.

When I watch the videos of TR I definitely see Uncharted presentation and gameplay elements, but I see elements of many other games as well. I am hoping that doesn't make it into a boring game with a lack of identity, but time will tell I suppose. First game I have pre-ordered in 5 months. Sometimes my "want" of a game to be good just overrides my common sense. You would think I would have learned my lesson about pre-ordering any mainstream title by now. :/

Well said, if the game does end up losing it's identity, it'll be a bit disappointing, but from everything I've seen and read, I don't think that's the case.

The one thing that always kept me from really enjoying TR games in the past was how clunky the combat always felt. We'll have to see if they retain the feeling of exploration. Hopefully they do.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 16:19 ForgedReality

Watch Tomb Raider fucking suck, and all those morons who pre-ordered are pissed off that it's an oversimplified quicktime-event sequence on rails for consoles.

I fully expect that to happen. I'll wait for some reviews first (and not the kind that are paid to review games before their release). And then I'll wait some more for a sale. XD

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 16:17 SpectralMeat

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 16:14:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 13:39:
Watched the TotalBiscuit video of the Sniper Elite - Nazi Zombie Army
Looks pretty boring. He wasn't very excited about it either.
Wish this zombie wave in games would finally stop now and devs would move on.

The "zombie" thing will continue well after it is no longer popular... simply because it requires NO AI coding work whatsoever... You can pump out your art assets and just have them shamble toward the player...
Yeah I guess you are right.
Easy cash in.
As long as people buy it devs will make them. Kind of like CoD.

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 16:14 Eirikrautha

Watched the TotalBiscuit video of the Sniper Elite - Nazi Zombie Army
Looks pretty boring. He wasn't very excited about it either.

The "zombie" thing will continue well after it is no longer popular... simply because it requires NO AI coding work whatsoever... You can pump out your art assets and just have them shamble toward the player...

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 15:31 PHJF

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/7zar52/tomb-raider-review

LOOKS LIKE UNCHARTED TO ME, but what do I know, I only own all three of them. Hell if this is any indication it's even more combat-oriented than Uncharted.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 15:22 Jivaro

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 15:13 dj LiTh

Deathbishop wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:24:
Once again, another week where it's proven that it's Bethesda's (Skyrim) world, we're just living in it.

Are we now in the 'one of the greatest of all Time RPG' discussion now (if it wasn't already)? On the same level (historically) as BGII and PlanetScape Torment?

If this is the only RPG you ever played....sure why not. If you actually have played other RPG's like the ones you mentioned then no, not even close.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:51 Panickd

So you want developers to abandon a game type that still rakes in the money? I wish the whole wave of COD inspired shooters and MOBA games would just collapse into the worthless heap that it is, but it doesn't look good for either of us.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:45 PHJF

Steam has Civ V Gold (includes Gods & Kings and all the other micro dlcs) for $12.50...  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:37 PHJF

Deathbishop wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:24:
Once again, another week where it's proven that it's Bethesda's (Skyrim) world, we're just living in it.

Are we now in the 'one of the greatest of all Time RPG' discussion now (if it wasn't already)? On the same level (historically) as BGII and PlanetScape Torment?

It's a great action RPG. The lore is tripe and the characters as dull and lifeless as ever. And considering how much Skyrim emphasized dragons, the dragons were about as awful as possible; the flight (and scripting in general) was completely inorganic, the attacks were ineffective and boring, and the sheer number of them just ruined any significance they should have had.

Sure was a fun dungeon crawler, though.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:34 RollinThundr

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:32 PHJF

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 14:24 Deathbishop

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo