Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's this week's list of the 10 bestselling titles on Steam:

1. Tomb Raider
  2. BioShock Infinite
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Revolution
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Season Pass
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
  7. Arma II: Combined Operations
  8. Sniper Elite - Nazi Zombie Army
  9. Mark of the Ninja
  10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 17:29 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 16:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 16:35:
I never got why I couldn't join Mercer instead.

Or at least kill him and take the power for yourself. Isn't that what a real thief would do. Yeah, I didn't quite see why I HAD to join the "your soul belongs to her after death" Nightingales either.

Creston

Yeah.. that especially was more like a cheap cop-out than a resolution. And technically, even after our death that weird deidric lord would not get our soul. We are dragonborn after all. Not normal mortals. We have consumed dragon souls. Which would imply we are more dragon than human. Certainly the end (where you let the dragon live) implies as much...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 16:55 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 16:35:

Or at least kill him and take the power for yourself. Isn't that what a real thief would do. Yeah, I didn't quite see why I HAD to join the "your soul belongs to her after death" Nightingales either.

Creston

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 16:35 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 14:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:28:
In Skyrim playing the Dark Brotherhood is not exactly "evil" most of the time you are killing proper evil people. And the other part you are simply defending yourself and your family against betrayal.

Urrr, wot? Just off the top of my head, the Dark Brotherhood has you (secret for spoilers) kill those three people in the house when Astrid comes to recruit you (I guess you can kill just one, but has anyone ever done that? Doesn't everyone just kill all three to be sure?) How are those people evil?

Then they have you do multiple contracts where they just go "murder this dude in city so and so."
Then they have you kill the Gourmet.
Then they have you kill more schleps in random cities.
They they have you kill the Emperor.

Now, maybe my definition of evil is different than yours, but to me there's little good about that. Who exactly is so evil, in your mind, other than that old hag?

The Gourmet is a ORC, he likely makes stuff with human meat... <-- Even if not.. he's an ORC.
Then they have you kill more schleps in random cities. OK that is true Forgot that entirely
They they have you kill the Emperor. That dude signed the White-Gold Concordat at the end of the Great War ... he is not just evil, but a traitor to the Nord ways.

I am sure there were some reasons as to those random slobs, no kill in the quest-line was entirely absolutely totally evil. Or made me think and say, wait.. let's just try to get around this one non-violently.

I just wanted more depth. After Oblivion I had high hopes...

And yes, I played both lines to their respective ends. Thief quest line ended quite epicly, but not in the way I wanted it to end. That's a weird complaint I guess...

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 14:56 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:28:
In Skyrim playing the Dark Brotherhood is not exactly "evil" most of the time you are killing proper evil people. And the other part you are simply defending yourself and your family against betrayal.

Urrr, wot? Just off the top of my head, the Dark Brotherhood has you (secret for spoilers) kill those three people in the house when Astrid comes to recruit you (I guess you can kill just one, but has anyone ever done that? Doesn't everyone just kill all three to be sure?) How are those people evil?

Then they have you do multiple contracts where they just go "murder this dude in city so and so."
Then they have you kill the Gourmet.
Then they have you kill more schleps in random cities.
They they have you kill the Emperor.

Now, maybe my definition of evil is different than yours, but to me there's little good about that. Who exactly is so evil, in your mind, other than that old hag?

I absolutely hated the Thief Questline in Skyrim, for one, getting to the quest people was a pain in the ass. You had to go through 2 level changes and transitions to get in, and 2 to get out again. Yeah it made sense from a logical point of view but it made the flow of the missions so clunky. And then you ended up with barely any proper resolution.

Did you stop playing after you retrieved the Eye of the Falmer and killed Mercer, or did you finish the quest all the way to its proper end? I thought it and the Dark Brotherhood quests ended pretty decently.

However, one thing I have always said about the Thieves Guild is that its main missions have little to do with thieving, and far more to do with "Go here and wipe everything the fuck out."

Although the story was good, the role play as thief was massively limited. Most of the AI never even notices their stuff going missing in the night...

Yeah, it was stupid that those radiant items weren't even labeled as "owned."

In Oblivion, the thief quest line was.. mysterious and fun. For half the time I had no idea where it would go and I dual played brotherhood and thief class which meant I often had a lot of sneaking fun (going on assassinations lend itself to plundering everything...)

I agree. The Oblivion guild quest lines were far, far better, and the Skyrim ones feel like poor substitutes.

Creston

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 13:28 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 01:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 22:46:
Funnily, I consider Skyrim to be worse than Oblivion in terms of "RPG". At least THAT had the dark brotherhood and thief questlines, which were absolutely amazing (assassins) and mostly amazing (Thief). Sadly to few games ever get the "be evil" right..... at least Oblivion tried.

Er, maybe you didn't make your point clear enough, but Skyrim also has Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild quests... As I expected, the former constituted THE best and most interesting/entertaining structured content (especially when you include additional scattered one-off quests that are actually connected, such as the jester transporting a coffin and bothering that farmer outside Whiterun). Your tasks may not be so darkly evil as what you do in Oblivion (what was it called, the Purification?), but it culminates in something that rivals defeating the doomsday dragon as far as Tamriel-changing events. There's obviously a few guys on the Bethesda team that absolutely love that stuff and put extra work into it, because the characters and non-combat objectives are unparalleled anywhere else in the game. The Thieves' Guild stuff was pretty good, also, easily #2 among the various side-quest lines. At this point, I don't know why they don't just make an entire game centered around those themes, or at least an expansion.

I just thought that Oblivion lend itself more to roleplaying, even if you had to limit yourself to a role. In Skyrim playing the Dark Brotherhood is not exactly "evil" most of the time you are killing proper evil people. And the other part you are simply defending yourself and your family against betrayal.

I absolutely hated the Thief Questline in Skyrim, for one, getting to the quest people was a pain in the ass. You had to go through 2 level changes and transitions to get in, and 2 to get out again. Yeah it made sense from a logical point of view but it made the flow of the missions so clunky. And then you ended up with barely any proper resolution. Although the story was good, the role play as thief was massively limited. Most of the AI never even notices their stuff going missing in the night...

In Oblivion, the thief quest line was.. mysterious and fun. For half the time I had no idea where it would go and I dual played brotherhood and thief class which meant I often had a lot of sneaking fun (going on assassinations lend itself to plundering everything...)

My point was simply that I didn't like Skyrim as an RPG much. It was more an action game with different classes... although there was choice, most of it is without consequence.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 09:01 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 02:07:
PropheT wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 23:56:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 18:32:
It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

TR may still be a good game but a good Tomb Raider game? Not so much.

Out of curiousity, what was the last great Tomb Raider game, and why?

I get the impression that if they'd kept making more of the same there'd be a big collective "meh" going around, but instead there's people whining that it's different than a series practically everyone was bored with (but who are now suddenly huge fans of it). The combat was a fairly significant part of the other TR games, too, and I disagree that people played them just because they were really fans of pushing blocks about.

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing. Given that current technology allows for nothing much newer than align the blocks, re-order the runes, direct the ray of light, or raise/lower the water puzzles, that doesn't even sound fun. When was the last time you saw a really original puzzle in a video game other than Portal and what its gun allows, and why would you want an entire game made out of them?

The last great TR was Anniversary, though Underworld was pretty good too. They both had some really great level design and puzzles. Lots of huge, complex rooms where you had to figure out where to go, how to get there and then have the skill to actually pull it off. The greater the difficulty, the more interesting the challenge. Overcoming these challenges required both intelligence and dexterity and provided a great sense of accomplishment. That is the core appeal of the franchise and why millions of fans enjoyed it. Said fans would be happy about a new TR that improves and expands upon on the core strengths of the series, as all sequels or reboots should do. Taking away what fans loved about the series is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Out of curiosity, what was the last TR you played? What was the last TR you enjoyed? Do you even like puzzle-platformers aside from Portal?

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing.

Do you think Portal 3 would be great if they significantly reduced the amount of puzzles and platforming and put a far greater emphasis on shooting dudes? If not, you should understand why TR fans take issue with the new game. If you still don't understand, imagine that a sequel to your favorite game is released. Now imagine that the sequel removes and/or dumbs down everything you enjoyed about the first game.

Also, for what it's worth, Underworld sold over a million units, so obviously there are still people who enjoy the traditional TR formula.

I dunno I think shitty platform elements being gone, or looking for the crank with the hexagon end to fit into the hexagon crank slot (or circle or whatever shape)for generic puzzle #3212 are things most gamers would be happy about.

Granted I may be in the minority when it comes to platformers as I had my fill with the NES. Every game from Mario to Metroid, to Kid Icarus, to Castlevania and everything in between was a platformer in those days because the tech just wasn't there to do much else.

I've done my share of shitty jumping puzzles over the years and I'm over that muchly.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 08:58 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 01:24:
Funnily, I consider Skyrim to be worse than Oblivion in terms of "RPG". At least THAT had the dark brotherhood and thief questlines, which were absolutely amazing (assassins) and mostly amazing (Thief). Sadly to few games ever get the "be evil" right..... at least Oblivion tried.

Er, maybe you didn't make your point clear enough, but Skyrim also has Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild quests... As I expected, the former constituted THE best and most interesting/entertaining structured content (especially when you include additional scattered one-off quests that are actually connected, such as the jester transporting a coffin and bothering that farmer outside Whiterun). Your tasks may not be so darkly evil as what you do in Oblivion (what was it called, the Purification?), but it culminates in something that rivals defeating the doomsday dragon as far as Tamriel-changing events. There's obviously a few guys on the Bethesda team that absolutely love that stuff and put extra work into it, because the characters and non-combat objectives are unparalleled anywhere else in the game. The Thieves' Guild stuff was pretty good, also, easily #2 among the various side-quest lines. At this point, I don't know why they don't just make an entire game centered around those themes, or at least an expansion.

I was actually pretty disappointed with the Dark Brotherhood questline in Skyrim but that's mainly because the one in Oblivion was so well done. The Thieves Guild was definitely the standout in Skyrim, many of the others felt short and incomplete by comparison.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 03:57 InBlack

Completely agree with Jerykk on everything he said with regards to the ES games. Morrowind was definitevly the best of the lot, and a lot of it had to do with there NOT Being a quest marker leading you to your next quest. You actually had to you know follow clues and really interact with the NPCs/Environment, you know roleplay.

I enjoyed Skyrim a lot more than Oblivion, it had better writing and more personality and a lot more opportunity for actual RPing but yeah you could really just power through everything, if that was the way you chose to play it.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 05:18.

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 02:57 Jerykk

As for the second guy, you can be both good and evil in a single playthrough. That's how I played my main character. You can get the Gray Fox mask without many evil deeds (at least that are known), after which you can live a double life. Honestly I thought the ability to do that, coupled with the Dark Brotherhood quest-line (once you had the mask), was perhaps the best "RPGish" fun I've ever had.

I think we have very different definitions of "RPG." Being able to be everything to everyone is the exact opposite of role-playing. Morrowind was much more of an RPG than both Oblivion and Skyrim, since ascending the ranks of each guild had skill prerequisites. Becoming the grandmaster of all the guilds was pretty much impossible if you played the game naturally and didn't grind the skills you otherwise wouldn't use. Also, you had to choose between one of the three main story factions (Telvanni, Hlaalu and Redoran). You couldn't join all three. The fact that the combat and magic skills had chance-to-hit/cast also meant you needed to specialize more, since low-level skills were essentially useless. The result? The game was much easier if you chose a specific role and stuck to it. You know, actual role-playing. Conversely, in Skyrim and Oblivion, you can do everything with ease and become the grandmaster of every guild even if your skills don't match it. Being a master fighter assassin thief battlemage healer isn't role-playing.

Isn't it just Shank 3?

Not at all. MotN is a stealth game. A great stealth game. Not only does it accommodate multiple playstyles but it clearly conveys the game's various systems. For example, when you throw an object, you will see the exact trajectory, impact point and sound radius before you even throw it. Enemies within the sound radius will even be highlighted. The game also shows you the vision cones for all enemies. Basically, it takes the guesswork out the equation and lets you focus on planning and execution instead.

MotN is definitely worth picking up, even if you generally don't like stealth games. It resolves the lack of transparency that many people dislike about the genre.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 03:09.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 02:30 NewMaxx

siapnar wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 00:13:
I agree, though my first Oblivion playthrough I wanted to be a nice guy and help everyone that I could, therefore anything evil was a strict no no.
Unfortunately, I never got around to doing that full second playthrough as an evil badass in the dark brotherhood

As for the first guy, I agree. Oblivion was better as a RPG than Skyrim. I think the reason is that after the success of Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim was slated more in that style of design. Although that works well in the Fallout universe, it doesn't translate as well to Tamriel for the RPG fans. A fantasy world is just going to be more open and grounded and less "wtf" than a post-apocalyptic one.

As for the second guy, you can be both good and evil in a single playthrough. That's how I played my main character. You can get the Gray Fox mask without many evil deeds (at least that are known), after which you can live a double life. Honestly I thought the ability to do that, coupled with the Dark Brotherhood quest-line (once you had the mask), was perhaps the best "RPGish" fun I've ever had.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 02:08 xXBatmanXx

coldcut wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 01:57:
On a completely unrelated note (at least regarding the Tomb Raider discussion), it's nice to see Mark of the Ninja on the list. This game is highly underrated (well, not really underrated as it is 91/100 on metacritic), but unfortunately it did get only a tiny fraction of the attention it deserves. It's an absolutely fantastic game.

Isn't it just Shank 3?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 02:07 Jerykk

PropheT wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 23:56:
It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

I get the impression that if they'd kept making more of the same there'd be a big collective "meh" going around, but instead there's people whining that it's different than a series practically everyone was bored with (but who are now suddenly huge fans of it). The combat was a fairly significant part of the other TR games, too, and I disagree that people played them just because they were really fans of pushing blocks about.

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing. Given that current technology allows for nothing much newer than align the blocks, re-order the runes, direct the ray of light, or raise/lower the water puzzles, that doesn't even sound fun. When was the last time you saw a really original puzzle in a video game other than Portal and what its gun allows, and why would you want an entire game made out of them?

The last great TR was Anniversary, though Underworld was pretty good too. They both had some really great level design and puzzles. Lots of huge, complex rooms where you had to figure out where to go, how to get there and then have the skill to actually pull it off. The greater the difficulty, the more interesting the challenge. Overcoming these challenges required both intelligence and dexterity and provided a great sense of accomplishment. That is the core appeal of the franchise and why millions of fans enjoyed it. Said fans would be happy about a new TR that improves and expands upon on the core strengths of the series, as all sequels or reboots should do. Taking away what fans loved about the series is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Out of curiosity, what was the last TR you played? What was the last TR you enjoyed? Do you even like puzzle-platformers aside from Portal?

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing.

Do you think Portal 3 would be great if they significantly reduced the amount of puzzles and platforming and put a far greater emphasis on shooting dudes? If not, you should understand why TR fans take issue with the new game. If you still don't understand, imagine that a sequel to your favorite game is released. Now imagine that the sequel removes and/or dumbs down everything you enjoyed about the first game.

Also, for what it's worth, Underworld sold over a million units, so obviously there are still people who enjoy the traditional TR formula.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 01:57 coldcut

On a completely unrelated note (at least regarding the Tomb Raider discussion), it's nice to see Mark of the Ninja on the list. This game is highly underrated (well, not really underrated as it is 91/100 on metacritic), but unfortunately it did get only a tiny fraction of the attention it deserves. It's an absolutely fantastic game.  

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 01:24 jacobvandy

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 01:30.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2013, 00:13 siapnar

I agree, though my first Oblivion playthrough I wanted to be a nice guy and help everyone that I could, therefore anything evil was a strict no no.
Unfortunately, I never got around to doing that full second playthrough as an evil badass in the dark brotherhood

I have projectile dysfunction.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 23:56 PropheT

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 23:55 netnerd85

COD is up high on the list, Where's Cutter?  

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 23:11 Pineapple Ferguson

PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:45:
Steam has Civ V Gold (includes Gods & Kings and all the other micro dlcs) for $12.50...

Thanks, BTW. Just picked it up.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 22:46 eRe4s3r

Deathbishop wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:24:
Once again, another week where it's proven that it's Bethesda's (Skyrim) world, we're just living in it.

Are we now in the 'one of the greatest of all Time RPG' discussion now (if it wasn't already)? On the same level (historically) as BGII and PlanetScape Torment?

No...
Sorry, but no. Seriously.. NO Skyrim is fastfood, lots of it, lots of tasty pieces of it but generally fastfood, BG2 or Torment are a full course meal.

Heck I am not even playing Skyrim for any dialog, I never listen to that crap. Most of it is so boring that reading random package descriptions is more entertaining. In essence, Skyrim is a sandbox with checkbox Quests. Not a world with living stories. Where motivations of the evil guys and interesting characters draw you in.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2013, 22:53.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 22:37 Fion

PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:45:
Steam has Civ V Gold (includes Gods & Kings and all the other micro dlcs) for $12.50...

Wow, that's a STEAL! I already have everything for the game but wow.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo