Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Mobilization

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 4, 2013, 09:27 Beamer

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 09:20:
I don't know, I went from a Samsung AMOLED to an LCD in the Nexus 4 and it's pretty much been a visual upgrade in every way except contrast ratio. In direct sunlight it's a bit annoying but that rarely happens so *shrug*.

It all depends on the AMOLED and the LCD. Which is why the comments in this thread claiming one is superior to the other is baffling.

Some AMOLEDs suck. Like, really suck. Pentile always sucks.
Some AMOLEDs are awesome. Some LCDs are awesome. Some LCDs suck.

Weird that some people here have a strong affinity to one type of technology when you don't really have a choice between getting either the best of one or the best of the other. It's hard to even figure out which phone has the leading, most current technology of one or the other. AMOLED phones keep coming out with inferior, dated displays.

I'm not even sure the guys at Samsung can tell you if the best current AMOLED is better than the best current LCD, or vice versa, since it moves so quickly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 4, 2013, 09:20 Verno

I don't know, I went from a Samsung AMOLED to an LCD in the Nexus 4 and it's pretty much been a visual upgrade in every way except contrast ratio. In direct sunlight it's a bit annoying but that rarely happens so *shrug*.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 4, 2013, 02:43 TurdFergasun

++agreed

I find my SAMOLED to be way easier to read in direct sunlight than phones with regular lcd screens, just as sharp, and way better colour reproduction. Seems more like an article written by and for the established LCD manufacturing consortium. Kind of like the FUD spewed from certain tech sites eschewing any real criticism of the high priced LCD, or LED backlit LCD's, and focusing on how plasmas have so many drawbacks like burn in, high electricity usage etc. If LCD's become the only main standard for displays it will be VHS>BETA all over again.

2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 4, 2013, 01:18 Joss

^Agreed.  

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 3, 2013, 18:44 Jensen

The guy writing the AMOLED vs LCD article has no idea what he is talking about. Some choice quotes:
Due to the high contrast ratios of AMOLED screens, color saturation is clearly divisive in how we perceive true color. AMOLED displays saturate all images and colors to the opposite effect of a traditional rainbow.
However, an LCD display is simply an actuator of the pixel arrangement and provides no true light of its own, which is why IPS (In-Plane Switching) exists.
In practice, AMOLED displays are designed with no accuracy of color reproduction in mind, which is fine by me. It's completely acceptable that the AMOLED variety of displays do not prioritize true color reproduction.. It's preference after all. Lastly, AMOLED displays run "cooler" and offer colder colors. Coolness of color is the level of differentiation in hue, the degree to which a color can be described as red, green, blue, or yellow.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo