Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British's Countdown

A Lord British Presents website is online, steadily ticking away the seconds until Friday, when it will presumably present something besides a countdown from the alter-ego of Richard Garriott, space tourist and game designer behind the famed Ultima series of RPGs. The site also offers email signups to "receive breaking news from Lord British" to save wear-and-tear on your F5 key. There's no word on what will be announced, though Garriott has been tweeting an image of Stonehenge, which is in no danger of being trampled by a dwarf. Thanks Massively.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 4, 2013, 20:16 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 22:46:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 20:50:
Well..

Origin wasn't known for stable products or delivering on time. I don't know what the deal was there, but something was going wrong even before EA came along. EA just made it worse.

I'm sorry, what? Which unstable products did they launch, exactly? Because I can remember precisely one, which was Ultima 7 (which had pretty bad bugs in it until the first two patches. This was in the funny days before you could really download such things off the internet. I remember that those patches were sent to me on 3.5" discs.)

Other than that, though, all their games ran pretty much just fine. Never had an issue with System Shock, or Underworld, or Bioforge, or Wing Commander, or Privateer.

The only other game that gave me grief was Ultima 8. It crashed on me literally every 30, 40 seconds, it was so aggravating. I sent faxes back and forth to Origin's HQ trying to figure it out, until finally they had me send over my BIOS settings. Two days later one of their developers called me (from the US), and spent an hour on the phone with me getting my BIOS settings fixed. While we were waiting for my machine to boot, I had a great time talking to him about the games he'd worked on, and such. And to his credit, he fixed the issue; I never had a single crash after that anymore.

I miss the old Origin...

Creston

Realistically, now, fifteen plus years later I can't remember all that well. I just remember having a hell of a time getting U7 to run.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 4, 2013, 08:54 Kajetan

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:41:
EA acquired them in 92, Ultima IX released in 97. I think a better question would be what changed at Origin that EA needed to put it's own clueless producers on projects they had no business being involved with.
Ultima Online happened during the developement of U9. EA feared that Origin did not have enough talent to create both games at the same time, because UO required more and more staff from the U9 team, pushing the release further and further back. So they send in Ed to help organize and finish U9, but sadly no one told him what Ultima was all about. And in the end Garriott fired him and took over, shoving this developement fiasco quickly out of the door, just to have more free ressources to work on UO.

32. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 4, 2013, 04:29 Spektr

I hate that backstabbin' basterd! Oh wait... that's Lord Baelish :p  

31. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 22:46 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 20:50:
Well..

Origin wasn't known for stable products or delivering on time. I don't know what the deal was there, but something was going wrong even before EA came along. EA just made it worse.

I'm sorry, what? Which unstable products did they launch, exactly? Because I can remember precisely one, which was Ultima 7 (which had pretty bad bugs in it until the first two patches. This was in the funny days before you could really download such things off the internet. I remember that those patches were sent to me on 3.5" discs.)

Other than that, though, all their games ran pretty much just fine. Never had an issue with System Shock, or Underworld, or Bioforge, or Wing Commander, or Privateer.

The only other game that gave me grief was Ultima 8. It crashed on me literally every 30, 40 seconds, it was so aggravating. I sent faxes back and forth to Origin's HQ trying to figure it out, until finally they had me send over my BIOS settings. Two days later one of their developers called me (from the US), and spent an hour on the phone with me getting my BIOS settings fixed. While we were waiting for my machine to boot, I had a great time talking to him about the games he'd worked on, and such. And to his credit, he fixed the issue; I never had a single crash after that anymore.

I miss the old Origin...

Creston

30. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 20:50 Silicon Avatar

Well..

29. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 15:37 nin

Well.. that was sort of my point... as an indie (and possibly a kickstarter) he could really make a game that would fit his Ultima Style without publisher interference.

Provided the pitch was decent (art, proof of concept, etc) I'd pledge for that on day 1.

But I couldn't care less about a F2P...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

28. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 15:07 wtf_man

Well.. that was sort of my point... as an indie (and possibly a kickstarter) he could really make a game that would fit his Ultima Style without publisher interference.

Then again... as log as Tabula Rasa took to develop, and as big of flop as it was... I have to question whether Garriot has "lost it" or whether NCSoft really interfered that much over time. Given GW2and the freedom ArenaNet was given, I find it hard to believe NCSoft was at fault for Tabula Rasa.

So, we'll see.
I hope he isn't washed up... but I won't be surprised if he is. Not many old-school game devs have transitioned very well into post millennium gaming. Even original FPS devs like iD struggle.

27. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 14:41 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:01:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 11:05:
Personally, I think he's washed up after Ultima IX and Tabula Rasa... but maybe he can do something better as an indie... we'll just have to see.

Ultima IX wasn't really his fault. EA had bought them, and EA put Ed DiCastillo (I think that's what he was called. Something similar) on as senior producer. Ed's previous claim to fame had been producing Command and Conquer. Because apparently, in EA's world, if you make an RTS, that makes you the PERFECT guy to helm the next installment of the world's most favorite running RPG series.

I was heavily involved on Origin's own forum in those days, and the howls of outrage when Ed famously said "Ultima is not about baking bread!" were pretty incredible. To the point where he actually quickly backtracked and said that baking bread would be in the game. It was clear he didn't really get what the whole point was. (which was that Britannia was a living, breathing world, and the Avatar simply existed in that world and tried to right its wrongs. He obviously believed Britannia was just a map for the Avatar to do fucking jumping puzzles on.)

But yeah, Tabula Rasa was terrible. TERRIBLE.

Who knows. I think he may still be capable of making an interesting RPG, but it's just as possible that he's truly just done.

Creston

EA acquired them in 92, Ultima IX released in 97. I think a better question would be what changed at Origin that EA needed to put it's own clueless producers on projects they had no business being involved with.

26. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 14:01 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 11:05:
Personally, I think he's washed up after Ultima IX and Tabula Rasa... but maybe he can do something better as an indie... we'll just have to see.

Ultima IX wasn't really his fault. EA had bought them, and EA put Ed DiCastillo (I think that's what he was called. Something similar) on as senior producer. Ed's previous claim to fame had been producing Command and Conquer. Because apparently, in EA's world, if you make an RTS, that makes you the PERFECT guy to helm the next installment of the world's most favorite running RPG series.

I was heavily involved on Origin's own forum in those days, and the howls of outrage when Ed famously said "Ultima is not about baking bread!" were pretty incredible. To the point where he actually quickly backtracked and said that baking bread would be in the game. It was clear he didn't really get what the whole point was. (which was that Britannia was a living, breathing world, and the Avatar simply existed in that world and tried to right its wrongs. He obviously believed Britannia was just a map for the Avatar to do fucking jumping puzzles on.)

But yeah, Tabula Rasa was terrible. TERRIBLE.

Who knows. I think he may still be capable of making an interesting RPG, but it's just as possible that he's truly just done.

Creston

25. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 11:05 wtf_man

24. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 10:29 wonkawonka

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 21:45:
My question is how many people made the Ultima games? Anyone remember Brad McQuaid and 'The Vision'? One person alone was NEVER responsible for the classic's we love, and the name 'Lord British' just doesn't carry the weight it use to.

Actually Garriott is absolutely responsible for the classics you love. He singlehandedly made U1 through U4. By the time U5 came along he had help, but he was by far and away the main guy, including design and the major share of coding. For the subsequent games he was the lead designer.

23. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 08:12 dj LiTh

Lord British....pshhhh.....he should only use that name if he's doing another Ultima game period. Ultima series is perhaps the greatest rpg series of all time and UO is absolutely the greatest MMO of all time. Alas i'm affraid Dreadlord LiTh will never again be able to crush his enemies (everyone), see them driven before you (attempt to recall out), and to hear the lamentation of their women (greatlord ghosts OoooOooOOooOOo'ing).  

22. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 02:26 Silicon Avatar

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 21:45:
My question is how many people made the Ultima games? Anyone remember Brad McQuaid and 'The Vision'? One person alone was NEVER responsible for the classic's we love, and the name 'Lord British' just doesn't carry the weight it use to.

As for EA and Ultima, they have tried at least 3 times to bring Ultima back (Ultima Online 2, Ultima X and one other). It's dead Jim.

The earliest Ultima games were programmed by Garriot. He brought some more people on for later games. I believe Dr. Cat was one of them. Dennis Loubet was doing art for them at the time (great manual and cover illustrations). It was a good team, but it's all broken up now.

Garriot could easily fund an Ultima spiritual successor - and even get some or all of the old team back with a Kickstarter, but it seems like lately all he does is hop on the latest fad. I guess that is what is so disappointing. At a time when other old teams are coming back via Kickstarter to make new games, Garriot is still farting around with his head up his butt.

21. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 00:19 Closed Betas

nothing to see here, what a wackjob  

20. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 23:31 Angrius Maximis

Probably some stupid fucking web browser game  

19. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 23:06 ItBurn

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 21:58:
Ultima is the greatest series of all time, even the creator of the Final Fantasy series credits it with inspiring him to make their first game.

I played Ultima Online off and on for twelve years, no other MMOs have scratched the surface of the immersion that game had, and I've played 50+ of them.

My favorite of the series is Ultima 7, game blew my mind, and is still my second favorite game of all time behind the first Elder Scrolls game.

I know for a fact this announcement has nothing to do with Ultima however. Someone is releasing Ultima 6 using the Ultima 7 exult engine soon though, so at least theirs something to look forward to.

I hate the look of Ultima 7. I think 6 looks much better even if it<s less detailed. Ultima 6 online has been up for years. It's an mmo version of U6, and it's complete. linkylink

18. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 23:04 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

The fellowship theme from u7 still takes me back to when I was playing them for the first time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eErSFN8MBmk&list=PLE19B66157B6B2C57&index=15

Got three roland synths on the desk for when I want to play u4/5/6/7 through dosbox, an mt-32, cm-64 and an sc-88.

U7 part 1 is still my favorite rpg of all time. I remember how pantwettingly awesome it was when you had a roland synth and a soundblaster.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

17. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 21:58 JohnBirshire

Ultima is the greatest series of all time, even the creator of the Final Fantasy series credits it with inspiring him to make their first game.

I played Ultima Online off and on for twelve years, no other MMOs have scratched the surface of the immersion that game had, and I've played 50+ of them.

My favorite of the series is Ultima 7, game blew my mind, and is still my second favorite game of all time behind the first Elder Scrolls game.

I know for a fact this announcement has nothing to do with Ultima however. Someone is releasing Ultima 6 using the Ultima 7 exult engine soon though, so at least theirs something to look forward to.

16. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 21:58 commonperson

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 20:59:
Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 19:32:
Fuck EA for killing Ultima (and all of Origin, for that matter.)

Creston

And how long has UO been going? It just boggles the mind when the dickbags at EA let something this obvious pass them by. Then again I suppose most of the suits at EA have probably never even heard of Ultima, muchless know that UO still exists.
They know it exists because it's still a revenue stream and they have people developing new Ultima properties over at Bioware and did some major press last E3. They are aware of the franchise, now will the output be good are not time will tell but to say they "probably never even heard of Ultima" is just untrue.

15. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 21:45 The Half Elf

As for EA and Ultima, they have tried at least 3 times to bring Ultima back (Ultima Online 2, Ultima X and one other). It's dead Jim.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo