Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Clifford Unchained - Nickels, dimes, and quarters. By Cliff Bleszinski.
If you donít like EA, donít buy their games. If you donít like their microtransactions, donít spend money on them. Itís that simple. EA has many smart people working for them (Hi, Frank, JR, and Patrick!) and they wouldnít attempt these things if they didnít work. Turns out, they do. I assure you there are teams of analysts studying the numbers behind consumer behavior over there that are studying how you, the gamer, spends his hard earned cash.

If youíre currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? Youíre the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesnít know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 22:41 ShakaUVM

Sepharo wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 22:07:
I don't have a problem with his "Don't like it? Don't buy it" stance... It's his implied "Stop complaining" stance that I take issue with.
Exactly.

I refuse to buy F2P games, and I'm vocal about it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 1, 2013, 22:19 HorrorScope

Why can they not turn a profit? I guess the uninformed alone isn't enough of a base, no?  

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 22:07 Sepharo

I don't have a problem with his "Don't like it? Don't buy it" stance... It's his implied "Stop complaining" stance that I take issue with.  

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 22:00 deqer

He obviously hasn't dealt with EA support in the past.  

13. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 21:58 Quboid

He's not saying that's a belief, quite the opposite. He's not saying they should be treated accordingly, he's saying they will be treated accordingly. I agree with him on that, and on pretty much the rest of his post.

His belief is that people who are wanting significantly more and wanting to push boundaries shouldn't bow down. His point is that we should stand up to them in the only way we really can, by voting with our wallet. Which is pretty much what everyone else is saying.

It seems that what he said about EA being automatically evil applies to him. If this had been Cliffski rather than CliffyB, we'd be (rightly) praising him for saying what we're all thinking.

- Quboid

12. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 21:50 Saboth

"If you donít like EA, donít buy their games. If you donít like their microtransactions, donít spend money on them"

Done and Done!

11. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 21:43 Bhruic

Not sure why he's getting attacked for saying exactly what people here have been claiming they've been doing. How many people here have said they won't buy any more EA games? How many have said they won't use Origin?

That's exactly what he's saying you should do. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The market will decide if it's financially viable.

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:50:
I am not sure what made him post this though...it isn't exactly an Earth shattering revelation. Seems like it is more likely just to piss people off given the tone of the piece.

This I agree with. What he's saying is so obvious, I'm not sure why it had to be said at all.

10. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 21:39 Ray Marden

So...his belief is that less informed people don't know any better and should be treated accordingly? Publishers can shove the same, generic, broadly-appealing, barely improved item and get enough people to buy it? That people wanting significantly more and wanting to push boundaries should just bow down to the marketing or payola reviews? That making money justifies most/any actions? That you can only make the choice of not spending your money on a game or industry instead of trying to audibly point out its shortcomings?

I don't embrace mediocrity. Even the best of games I can identify the weak points or offer up suggestions. And yet I buy them, I have fun with them, I compare their cost to personal entertainment ratio, and I look for improvements . For the blatantly inferior products, I will do my best to call them out on their weaknesses or promote better alternatives to less informed gamers.
Is he a gamer or just a caricature?
Wondering if Cliffy even has passion for playing or creating games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 1, 2013, 20:53 HorrorScope

I wonder if they would net more profit is they removed the suits involved with this analysis and dropped micro-transactions? It's not like they know how to actually make a profit. Loss after quarter loss, year really smart people.  

8. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 20:43 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:50:
Eh, his main point is correct even if his presentation needs some work. I don't think he intended to communicate anything along the lines of "the vocal minority has no rights because they are the minority", I think the point was more along the lines of "if there are people willing to spend the money...there are people willing to take it."
Agreed. EA will do whatever is most profitable, so if gamers don't want microtransactions then they need to stop buying them. Yelling at EA while at the same time buying DLC and other microtransactions does nothing but validate EA's models.

7. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 20:04 ASeven

He is right about how people should stop buying this shit though. There are people, probably lots, that do buy this kind of shitty microtransactions crap. It's those kind of thoughtless practices from consumers that allow EA to pull this shit on us.  

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:59 yonder

Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:35:
So we're not entitled to voice our opinions because that's whiny minority bullshit, but you are?

Pot- Kettle. I think you have some things in common.

Lol... um... no. Learn to read and comprehend dude, seriously.

1)He never said anything remotely close to "You're not entitled to voice your opinion." He simply said that you're the vocal minority.

And he said that because you are. Well, assuming that you're an EA (and others) hater like I am and most Bluesnewsers are.

2)His voice *DOES* matter. Because he, as an individual person, is important in the gaming industry. You are not. Just like I am not.

Reality dude, get over it.

If you take any nugget from this, take the first sentence posted here. It's to-the-point, it's legit, it's honest, and it's what I'm doing. EA will get 0 dollars and 0 cents from me.

Here's a quote from CliffyB for ya: "When you cultivate a passionate fanbase, then try to trade that passion in for money, I think you should expect a backlash."

But, hey, why would you want to actually educate yourself about what he *ACTUALLY* says. You've got your strawman, and that's all you need.

tl;dr version: Stfu moron.

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:56 Cutter

It works...which is why EA has been losing money and on a downward swing for years, yeah, sure thing Cliff. Lots of companies have lots of suits and analysts and they're good at losing money too. And they also try tons of stuff that doesn't work and they do it regularly. If they actually knew what works they'd be kings of the world. Cliff, try pulling your head out of your ass and coming down to reality with the rest of us.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:53 PHJF

GTA comes out every year?! Man, I must live under one hell of a rock!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:50 Jivaro

Eh, his main point is correct even if his presentation needs some work. I don't think he intended to communicate anything along the lines of "the vocal minority has no rights because they are the minority", I think the point was more along the lines of "if there are people willing to spend the money...there are people willing to take it."

I am not sure what made him post this though...it isn't exactly an Earth shattering revelation. Seems like it is more likely just to piss people off given the tone of the piece.

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:46 NKD

http://i.somethingawful.com/jeffk/e3-thisYEAR/CLIFFYCOMIC.gif  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:35 Flatline

So we're not entitled to voice our opinions because that's whiny minority bullshit, but you are?

Pot- Kettle. I think you have some things in common.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo