Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Clifford Unchained - Nickels, dimes, and quarters. By Cliff Bleszinski.
If you donít like EA, donít buy their games. If you donít like their microtransactions, donít spend money on them. Itís that simple. EA has many smart people working for them (Hi, Frank, JR, and Patrick!) and they wouldnít attempt these things if they didnít work. Turns out, they do. I assure you there are teams of analysts studying the numbers behind consumer behavior over there that are studying how you, the gamer, spends his hard earned cash.

If youíre currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? Youíre the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesnít know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

37. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 11:49 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:13:
If EA is so right about micro-transactions, why can't the company make a profit? To some, their consistent losses would state they are wrong all the time about something, reminded every quarter of that to.

I work at a large company to, I'd shutter to think what we would be slashing if we actually lost a lot of money instead of made a lot. We're already squeezed and making more profit per quarter than ever.

How do companies stay in business losing 10's, 100's of millions a quarter? There are quite a number of them, I never really got it. Do they just pile up debt like countries? JCP lost 427 million last quarter, that is probably like 10 years worth of profits in good times for them, so why even bother? GM rec'd like 20 billion a couple years ago, how can your books be that far off without lying for decades about your financials?

They just lose money on paper. They don't actually lose money, they would have been out of busy for a long time by now. No company the size of EA can lose money for ten years straight and still keep running. (You can if you get REALLY big, like GM. GM CAN do so, because they just cry for more money when it runs out. American Airlines is exactly the same.)

It's called Creative Accounting, or "Arthur Andersen 101." By not making a profit, they don't have to pay taxes, AND they don't have to pay dividends.

Realistically the IRS should do something about this kind of horseshit, but the government gets too much grease money to make corporations pay their fair share. Much easier to tax the average citizen more to make up for the difference.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 11:47 Creston

Translated: "Oh God, EA, please give me a job! please!!!"

Anyway, yes, captain obvious, this is obviously being done because EA KNOWS that it will work and will lead to more money. D-fucking-uh. Does that somehow mean that people aren't allowed to say that it's fucking bullshit?

Oh wait, it's cliffyb. "People who don't like something should shut the fuck up," has been this cuntsack's M.O. for quite some time now.

Creston

35. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 11:31 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:13:
If EA is so right about micro-transactions, why can't the company make a profit? To some, their consistent losses would state they are wrong all the time about something, reminded every quarter of that to.

Isn't that the old business model that's failing? How many F2P games on the PC or consoles do they have? I don't imagine the nickel-and-dime-ing that The Sims 3 has is what's costing them money.

I don't agree with you on this point but I agree with every word in your subsequent one. My sentiments exactly!

- Quboid

34. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 11:29 J

ShakaUVM wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 22:41:
I refuse to buy F2P games, and I'm vocal about it.
I LOL'd.

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 11:22 HorrorScope

Bhruic wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 10:34:
Actually, he's tired of EA being seen as the bad guy where Valve is fine. Valve has had microtransactions in TF2 for a long time. They have microtransactions in Portal 2. There haven't been many complaints about either of those. But EA announces they are going to do microtransactions in their games, and it's "pile on EA" time.

You are correct. This world has a knack of only attacking the top company in a segment. Burger King, Wendy's is no better than McDonald's, but McD is the one that is always attacked with lawsuits. Trust me the others have millions to hand over as well!

I won't say I'm the guy that won't buy EA, nor will I swear on the internet I never will again either. I will buy their games, but it is limited simply because they don't make much I want to play. That is the beginning and ending for me.

Every game is bought on its own merits, every DLC on its own value. As said here many times by many people, we have a simple choice of yes/no on every purchase we make. If you see value in a DLC, god bless.

Also the hate for Origin here to me is laughable, the service works fine, it installs reliably, downloads reliably, works reliably. I had a password issue once, via Live Chat in 30 minutes fixed. Steam it takes a day, no live chat. BNet a week, no live chat. EA 30 minutes, I give credit where it's due, they won big here.

Origin is every bit as reliable as Steam. The only downloader / middleware game app that I've had issues with is GFWL, now that one has some real issues, I personally hate it because when it doesn't work you have to hammer your system hard to rid it all and start over and there is no reasonable support for it.

Some just hate having multiple sources for downloads, well it's the PC, this is an open platform. Steam doesn't handle it all nor does it always have the same price. So you have to ask yourself, "Do I have the ability to handle a handful of gaming services?" I guess I can, to me it's clicking an icon, not too bad.

32. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 11:14 Tumbler

If you want to complain about microtransactions, by all means, complain. He's just asking you to be consistent about it.

You can ignore cosmetic microtransactions and at the same time complain about in game micro transactions. (for lack of a better term)

Valve hasn't gone after the low hanging fruit and if they do gamers will complain just like they do with EA. Dead Space 3 for example, they could have made all the Mic.Trans be cosmetic armor choices but that is something easily ignored. They chose to offer all kinds of in game items that affect the game.

In ME3 they could have offered different armor sets for all the soldiers but instead they decided to just pull out a crew member and sell him seperately.

EA's choices speak volumes about their respect for consumers and the medium in general.

I wonder if Sim City will only have cosmetic changes available for purchase?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 11:13 HorrorScope

I work at a large company to, I'd shutter to think what we would be slashing if we actually lost a lot of money instead of made a lot. We're already squeezed and making more profit per quarter than ever.

How do companies stay in business losing 10's, 100's of millions a quarter? There are quite a number of them, I never really got it. Do they just pile up debt like countries? JCP lost 427 million last quarter, that is probably like 10 years worth of profits in good times for them, so why even bother? GM rec'd like 20 billion a couple years ago, how can your books be that far off without lying for decades about your financials?

30. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 10:34 Bhruic

Julio wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 10:20:
He implies it quite clearly in the article. Especially in the section where he's tired of EA being seen as the bad guy. Basically implying that gamers shouldn't complain like they do about microtransactions.

Actually, he's tired of EA being seen as the bad guy where Valve is fine. Valve has had microtransactions in TF2 for a long time. They have microtransactions in Portal 2. There haven't been many complaints about either of those. But EA announces they are going to do microtransactions in their games, and it's "pile on EA" time.

If you want to complain about microtransactions, by all means, complain. He's just asking you to be consistent about it.

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 10:30 Quboid

I don't see any such implication. He's saying that much of the complaints are wrong (and they are), not that you should be quiet. As for saying that you should vote with your wallet, again he's not saying that you should shut up, just that voting with your wallet is the best way to actually get the message through - and again, he's right.  

- Quboid

28. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 10:20 Julio

Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 09:46:
Julio wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 05:29:
I agree about don't buy if you don't like microtransactions, but taking away our free speech? No thanks - Cliff can move to China if he wants to not have the right to give his opinion.

Where does he say, or even imply, anything like this?

He implies it quite clearly in the article. Especially in the section where he's tired of EA being seen as the bad guy. Basically implying that gamers shouldn't complain like they do about microtransactions.

27. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 09:47 zombiefan

I buy DLC.

When it comes in the GOTY edition. On sale...for $5.

26. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 09:46 Quboid

Julio wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 05:29:
I agree about don't buy if you don't like microtransactions, but taking away our free speech? No thanks - Cliff can move to China if he wants to not have the right to give his opinion.

Where does he say, or even imply, anything like this?

- Quboid

25. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 09:36 PHJF

Well Half Elf will tell you I'm pretty vehemently opposed to DLC. Basically any DLC I have is from GOTY editions. I bought a couple of actual content packs for Sleeping Dogs seeing as how it was a great port and stellar game besides.

And mind you I'm talking about gen-you-ine content packs not a fucking reskinned map or zomg a new assault rifle. I'd shoot myself through the fucking head before paying cash money for content any retard from 4chan could have developed in the span of one evening. Maybe I just have a different opinion on this seeing as I was PC gaming (and modding) long before DLC was around. When a game warranted new content it was SUBSTANTIAL enough to be shipped in a box to retail. There was a RISK involved in putting out something offensive to consumer standards beyond simply pissing people off (looking at you, Capcom).

Borderlands DLC is about right as the standard I would use. Meaty content. I've played Dawnguard and it was pretty adequate as well. I haven't played them (because I have the original collector editions and so don't really feel like paying any more) but from all accounts FO3 and New Vegas had DLC done right.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 07:55 ASeven

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 00:48:
I'd bet the farm that a large portion of the people who talk shit about DLC and micro-transactions end up buying it anyway. My friend kept bitching and moaning about how he'll never buy another COD game but still bought the season pass after the fact.

'My purchase won't make a difference' mentality and then all the sudden we're in the nickle and diming era of gaming.

And this.

23. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 07:54 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 22:07:
I don't have a problem with his "Don't like it? Don't buy it" stance... It's his implied "Stop complaining" stance that I take issue with.

This.

22. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 05:29 Julio

21. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 04:29 netnerd85

I don't buy any EA games any more :), nor do I play them.

Think the last ones were The Saboteur, Medal of Honor: Airborne and C&C3... all good games actually. But they certainly haven't made any since. I didn't buy them on release or for an expensive price.

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 01:38 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:50:
I am not sure what made him post this though...it isn't exactly an Earth shattering revelation. Seems like it is more likely just to piss people off given the tone of the piece.

Dead Space 3 and its DLC, I'd imagine, since it's timely and relevant given that EA announced a few days ago that they'd put that sort of thing into everything from now on. It wasn't just a post out of nowhere.

He's also not telling people not to talk, either, he's saying to put their money where their mouth is. It's not exactly uncommon to see people complaining about DLC, complaining about the cost, complaining that they're being screwed, and then talking about the DLC again after it releases having clearly played it.

"God I hate McDonalds!" he said, as he shoved another handful of fries into his mouth. "They make people fat and they don't do anything to stop it!"

19. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 00:48 Wallshadows

I'd bet the farm that a large portion of the people who talk shit about DLC and micro-transactions end up buying it anyway. My friend kept bitching and moaning about how he'll never buy another COD game but still bought the season pass after the fact.

'My purchase won't make a difference' mentality and then all the sudden we're in the nickle and diming era of gaming.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 1, 2013, 22:43 Yosemite Sam

Sheeple rejoice! ... and please, just give us your bank information too while you're at it and we will save you from the tiring effort of having to decide where to flush your money.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo