Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Clifford Unchained - Nickels, dimes, and quarters. By Cliff Bleszinski.
If you donít like EA, donít buy their games. If you donít like their microtransactions, donít spend money on them. Itís that simple. EA has many smart people working for them (Hi, Frank, JR, and Patrick!) and they wouldnít attempt these things if they didnít work. Turns out, they do. I assure you there are teams of analysts studying the numbers behind consumer behavior over there that are studying how you, the gamer, spends his hard earned cash.

If youíre currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? Youíre the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesnít know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

57. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 14:21 Jivaro

Redundancy in a Blues News thread? Say it ain't so!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 14:16 HorrorScope

Dev wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 14:07:
Actually what the big companies do is make plenty of profit on paper and in reality. Then they just do a perfectly legal double irish with dutch sandwich, and pretty much not pay any of it to the gov.

Apple and Google are just a couple examples, there's plenty more.

The difference is the two examples you post are making and reporting plenty of profit and their stocks reflect that. Where as EA shows huge losses on there public quarterlies aka on paper.

55. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 14:10 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 12:10:
Since this is about the most active EA thread right now, can someone who uses Origin check something for me?
Thanks in advance.

Creston

Getting 22 mbps/sec, which is actually 2 more than my limit!

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2013, 14:21.

54. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 14:07 Dev

Actually what the big companies do is make plenty of profit on paper and in reality. Then they just do a perfectly legal double irish with dutch sandwich, and pretty much not pay any of it to the gov.

Apple and Google are just a couple examples, there's plenty more.

53. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 13:59 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:49:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:13:
If EA is so right about micro-transactions, why can't the company make a profit? To some, their consistent losses would state they are wrong all the time about something, reminded every quarter of that to.

I work at a large company to, I'd shutter to think what we would be slashing if we actually lost a lot of money instead of made a lot. We're already squeezed and making more profit per quarter than ever.

How do companies stay in business losing 10's, 100's of millions a quarter? There are quite a number of them, I never really got it. Do they just pile up debt like countries? JCP lost 427 million last quarter, that is probably like 10 years worth of profits in good times for them, so why even bother? GM rec'd like 20 billion a couple years ago, how can your books be that far off without lying for decades about your financials?

They just lose money on paper. They don't actually lose money, they would have been out of busy for a long time by now. No company the size of EA can lose money for ten years straight and still keep running. (You can if you get REALLY big, like GM. GM CAN do so, because they just cry for more money when it runs out. American Airlines is exactly the same.)

It's called Creative Accounting, or "Arthur Andersen 101." By not making a profit, they don't have to pay taxes, AND they don't have to pay dividends.

Realistically the IRS should do something about this kind of horseshit, but the government gets too much grease money to make corporations pay their fair share. Much easier to tax the average citizen more to make up for the difference.

Creston

Now I won't say you are wrong at all, because bottom line I do not know if it's a paper loss or not and your beliefs are not all that uncommon. But then we don't want to hear from others in rainbow land:
Since their public they have to report accurate financials.

Because what you are saying is not only are they not, it's not even close. Instead of hundreds of million in losses (approaching a billion) it's actually making money. I mean really if that is true there has to be an investigation. As Marv from Sin City would say "that's a whopper". Sarbanes oxley right out the window along with another 1/2 dozen laws.

And if true, who in their right mind would own their stock? You own stock in a company that wants to lose money aka it's not going to produce the results you want. Are you that stupid?

All these mofo republican ran corporations and their tax whining aren't even paying their taxes any way, that is why we are bankrupt. Over spending is but just a smaller part of the issue, that spending was budgeted/planned for by everyone paying their share, fair or not. When they don't pay their taxes this isn't gov't over-spending it is tax evasion. My how we spin our webs.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2013, 14:14.

52. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:58 Quboid

You're welcome to your own opinion, you're not welcome to your own reality. And no, I don't find that statement to be REMOTELY funny.

I'm familiar with how he's seen on this site but not his actual actions, just the sort of second hand reports that you're continuing to do - which demonstrate exactly the sort of pre-judging that I thought might be clouding your judgement. One of your quotes might be actually accurate? Well done!

Going by this post of his and the reaction here, I wonder how many of these awful previous statements are also actually spot on. He does seem patronising and arrogant, but as well as not invalidating his opinion that doesn't make things appear in his posts which aren't there.

He said he used to be offended by Gamestop's practises, he doesn't elaborate on this but learning and applying what you've learnt to be smarter isn't hypocritical, it's what makes you a better person. I took that to mean he matured.

I now think you did read the thread because you evidently read my response, yet you still think I'm complaining that you're arguing me. You read, you don't comprehend.

It's not that I don't know why you were arguing with me, it's that you weren't arguing with me. You're making the same points as at the start of this thread and didn't seem to have noticed that those points have been made and discussed and exactly the discussion would be the only response but to call you out on seemingly not reading the thread.

- Quboid

51. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:57 Dev

I agree with some of his points to some extent (also steam is STILL pretty klunky). But, there's far far far more reasons EA=evil is a popular theme, than just that they use a lot of DLC and microtransactions.

For instance, they often buy out a studio and kill it. They have tons of examples in their history, like bullfrog or origin.

50. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:37 Creston

Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 13:16:
Well, that's not what it says. If 95 people out of 100 read something that isn't there then 95% are wrong.

Or, you know, the 5% has a different opinion.

As I said before, he's like EA in that whatever he does is automatically wrong and evil... SNIP... I'm particularly not familiar with cliffyb's history -

And you do not find this statement to be even REMOTELY funny?

What has his history got to do with it other than to cloud your judgement?

Well, there's this thing in law that's called "goes towards establishing motive." If there's a clear pattern of behavior that leans heavily in one direction, odds are pretty good that said person simply feels that way. Cliffyb has a LONG history of basically telling people to shut the fuck up. No Gears of War for PC? "Shut the fuck up, PC players!"

No Bulletstorm demo for PC? Cliffyb "Oh, look, PC gamers whining about not getting something again!" (which might almost be a literal quote.)

The guy is a major fucking toolbag, but that in and of itself doesn't invalidate his opinion. But if you take his former statements into account, then contrast that to this article, which oozes his typical patronizing tone, and in which he says such luminary statements as:

- "(Something that the hipster/boomerang kid generation seems to forget all too often.)"

- And somehow tries to pretend that EA and Valve are exactly the same kind of company because they both want to make money, as if Valve charging money for purely cosmetic items is somehow remotely the same as EA cutting the most important NPC out of ME3, and charging 10 bucks for him.

- AND defends EA's decisions simply and alone as "Hey, they have shareholders! They need to appease those shareholders, and make money! Stop bitching at them for it!" yet in that same article then says: "I used to be offended by Gamestopís business practices" without actually realizing what a hypocritical fucking tool it makes him (hey cliffy? Gamestop has shareholders too. Are they somehow more evil than EA's shareholders?)

And yet you still think that he's just a regular old joe, shooting straight from the hip? Well, it's your opinion. And you're perfectly entitled to believe that you are right and everyone else is wrong. Scream it from the rooftops really loudly! I believe differently, and I will post to that effect.

You'll be delighted to hear that you have my permission to disagree with me and you may be pleasantly surprised to learn that you, in fact, don't need my permission anyway. However, do everyone (including those who agree with you) the courtesy of responding as if you have actually read the thread, rather than to tread the same ground as 30 posts ago.

You're the one who engaged me, please don't sit there on your little ivory tower with your sanctimonious "Well, I don't know why you're arguing with me about it!" crap.

I also wasn't aware that you had now somehow become the arbiter of what's allowed to be posted or not. And yes, I respond to the topic at hand before I read the comments thread; then, after that, I'll respond to comments if I so desire. I've done so since the very first day. Fortunately, I don't need your permission to do so.

Creston

49. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:27 Hellbinder

there is nothing wrong with micro-transactions on a totally FTP game. That is understandable and you know going into the game that this is how the dev will make a living.

But.. Putting them in a $60 title, where the game is basically designed hamstrung from the start so you have to keep paying for what should have been included is Just wrong.

i guess there is a lot of grey area between those two.

The Whales name is Bob.

48. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:23 Creston

PHJF wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 12:25:
Looks like somebody got his sixth strike!

Hahahahaha. That would actually be funny.

Sadly, my connection is not the kind that encourages downloading stuff rampantly.

Creston

47. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:21 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 12:46:
It's local to your area/connection, Creston. I'm downloading ME3 right now at 8.77MB/sec.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/originspeed.jpg/

Having said that, it is not uncommon for Origin to be inconsistent. I've seen more than a few times where it lowers to 40KB/s or so for one hour or so.
Is it even a direct download or is it P2P?
Edit: Just from the time of posting, I have seen speeds from 3MB/s to 7MB/s.

Having just upgraded interwebzorz today ,
Ray

Thanks for checking, Ray.

Creston

46. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:18 Quboid

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 12:46:
It's local to your area/connection, Creston. I'm downloading ME3 right now at 8.77MB/sec.

Having said that, it is not uncommon for Origin to be inconsistent. I've seen more than a few times where it lowers to 40KB/s or so for one hour or so.

Ray

I find it quite inconsistent. Most of the time I get about 3MB/s but sometimes it drops to more like 300KB/s. There's no particularl reason that I can see, my connection is fine and it's not when their servers are likely to be swamped as with Steam.

- Quboid

45. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 13:16 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 12:06:
Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:56:
That's not what he's saying, but maybe if you swear a bit more it will come true.

Yes, Quboid. If 100 people read the article, and 95 of them say "Who is he to tell people to shut up?" and 5 of them say "That's not what he's saying," then obviously YOU must be correct.

And it's not as if it's cliffyb, and he has a history of telling PC gamers to shut up because they aren't getting demos, or Epic's latest games. No. He's never done that.

Good use of the "Put my fingers in my ears and yell LA LA LA really loudly" technique. Keep right on trucking there.

Creston

Well, that's not what it says. If 95 people out of 100 read something that isn't there then 95% are wrong.

As I said before, he's like EA in that whatever he does is automatically wrong and evil. It's not hard for a thread on EA to gain a similar 95% (by which I mean nowhere near 95%) of negative comments, even if they're not doing anything wrong either.

I'm particularly not familiar with cliffyb's history - all the dislike I've heard has been second hand news, not worth the HTML it's written on. I'm talking about this article, not other stuff he may have done. What has his history got to do with it other than to cloud your judgement?

You'll be delighted to hear that you have my permission to disagree with me and you may be pleasantly surprised to learn that you, in fact, don't need my permission anyway. However, do everyone (including those who agree with you) the courtesy of responding as if you have actually read the thread, rather than to tread the same ground as 30 posts ago.

- Quboid

44. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 12:52 Bhruic

Tumbler wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:14:
Valve hasn't gone after the low hanging fruit and if they do gamers will complain just like they do with EA.

There are lots of non-cosmetic things for sale in TF2. They do it the exact same way that DS3 does it - you can grind for items/mats, or you can spend the money and buy the items directly.

43. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 12:46 Ray Marden

Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

42. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 12:33 Cutter

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:47:
Translated: "Oh God, EA, please give me a job! please!!!"

Anyway, yes, captain obvious, this is obviously being done because EA KNOWS that it will work and will lead to more money. D-fucking-uh. Does that somehow mean that people aren't allowed to say that it's fucking bullshit?

Oh wait, it's cliffyb. "People who don't like something should shut the fuck up," has been this cuntsack's M.O. for quite some time now.

Creston

That's not what he's saying, but maybe if you swear a bit more it will come true.

Cuntybollocks assbag tityfuck dickholes!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

41. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 12:25 PHJF

Looks like somebody got his sixth strike!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

40. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 12:10 Creston

Since this is about the most active EA thread right now, can someone who uses Origin check something for me?

The last few times I've downloaded something from Origin, the speed has been terrible. I get 25-45k/s at most. I've checked my speed everywhere else (speed test, Steam, random downloads), and it's fine, and on Origin it just sucks.

Last night when I was downloading the latest ME3 MP DLC, I noticed that it was downloading exactly at half my available bandwith, and it stayed perfectly stuck there the entire time.

Can someone just download something and see if they have the same thing happening? I checked Origin at work and it downloaded at several MB/s (but at work I have a shared 300Mbps pipe, so I have no idea what to make of that data), so it's not inherently downloading slowly, it just seems that when I download here at home it won't utilize my full connection speed.

Thanks in advance.

Creston

39. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 12:06 Creston

Yes, Quboid. If 100 people read the article, and 95 of them say "Who is he to tell people to shut up?" and 5 of them say "That's not what he's saying," then obviously YOU must be correct.

And it's not as if it's cliffyb, and he has a history of telling PC gamers to shut up because they aren't getting demos, or Epic's latest games. No. He's never done that.

Good use of the "Put my fingers in my ears and yell LA LA LA really loudly" technique. Keep right on trucking there.

Creston

38. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 11:56 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:47:
Translated: "Oh God, EA, please give me a job! please!!!"

Anyway, yes, captain obvious, this is obviously being done because EA KNOWS that it will work and will lead to more money. D-fucking-uh. Does that somehow mean that people aren't allowed to say that it's fucking bullshit?

Oh wait, it's cliffyb. "People who don't like something should shut the fuck up," has been this cuntsack's M.O. for quite some time now.

Creston

- Quboid

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo