Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Some recent flaky behavior from my mouse has gotten worse, as the left button has gone from occasionally releasing in spite of being held down to frequently double-clicking on a single click. This Logitech G500 isn't that old, I dug around and see that I got it barely a year ago to replace another Logitech mouse which also started demonstrating flaky left-click behavior. I guess I have discovered their point of weakness, at least for someone who uses the mouse button a million times a day, though the amount of rodent abuse I tend to commit has me wondering whether or not I'm entitled to be disappointed at having to replace this so soon (my previous mouse lasted a few years). I love the action and ergonomics of this one, so I'll probably go for another and hope it survives better. I recall once having mouse drivers that recorded a history how far the mouse has been moved. It would be interesting to see the results if they still did that.

Mousey Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Lazerman.
Stories: Parachuting poison mice combat Guam tree snakes. Thanks Laurence.
FX Renews "Archer" For A Fifth Season. Sploosh! Thanks nin.
Media: Russia: A car takes off. Dashcam video.
How to Make a Homeless Man Cry.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2013, 08:46 DG

Thanks for that!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2013, 13:37 jimnms

DG wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:31:
Well, this is timely!

I need to replace my MX510 which was excellent but has suffered enough (too much, evidently).

I had been thinking the G500. Surprised at the comment that G400 > G500? It looked like the G500 was a straight upgrade from G400 with higher DPI, what looked like slightly better build quality plus two additional buttons - plus variable DPI and weights, which admittedly I hadn't been looking forward to fiddling about with.

edit: I can also find a G9x, albeit for twice the price of the G400.

I don't know what the other poster was smoking. The G500 is an upgrade to the G5. The G400 is an updated MX518. The MX518 and G400 are old optical tech. where the G5 and G500 are laser.

I replaced my G5 a year ago with a G500. My G5 was the first generation with only one side button, so the G500 with three side buttons is nice. The G5's max dpi is 2000. The G500 does 5700 dpi, but I find 2000 dpi to be just right.

I replaced the G5 was for 2 reasons. One, when the mouse wheel started acting up, I took it apart and found so much lint built up around it that it was blocking the sensor. While cleaning it out, a little piece flew out which is what gave the wheel the clicky feel to it. I got used to it. It was great for scrolling things like web pages, but when using it in games to switch weapons I'd sometimes scroll it too fast. The second reason was it started acting up. It moved fine in all directions except diagonally like a backslash (\).

Turns out the weird movement was caused by years of using the mouse on the bare desk. It polished the wood so fine that apparently the sensor had problems tracking on it because the G500 did the same thing, but I still don't know why it only does it in that one diagonal direction. I ended up buying a mouse pad, and it works fine now. I never bothered with the weights in the G5, or the G500 at first. After I got this mouse pad, it's so damn slick I kept accidentally moving without realizing it. I added a bit of weight to it, and it made a huge difference.

The G500 also has two scroll modes that you can switch between. It has the clicky type that works good for switching weapons in games, or you can press a button to put it in smooth scrolling like my "broken" G5's wheel.

I put the G5 on my old computer that my niece plays on when she's over here. The G5 was/is a good mouse, but I wouldn't trade the G500 for anything else.

Steam Profile

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2013, 00:30 PHJF

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 21:20:
It's sploosh...not...spoosh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1NqZvY_lA

Thanks, Chef Eat-A-Dick.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 20:24 Zappa

I had the exact same problem with my G500 just a couple of months ago. I was 2 1/2 years into the Logitech 3 year warranty, so I called them, explained the problem and had a new mouse shipped to me under warranty with in a couple of days. Besides that problem I really like the mouse.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 19:05 1badmf

nin wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 09:33:
That's excellent advice. I've used (logitech) trackballs for years (close to 20 now, I think), and while they've made a few small changes, I fear the day when they don't sell enough and they discontinue them.

hey nin how are trackballs for gaming? i have this theory that once you get used to one, it can be more precise than a mouse because it takes less force to move the tball. also you never have to pick it up and readjust like with large mouse movements. i've been considering getting one to test it, but there aren't any cheap, quality ones.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 18:03 Creston

mch wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 16:30:
Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 14:43:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 09:46:
Lana... Lana... LAAANNNNAANANNAAA!

WHAT?!

Danger Zone.

"Hey, Lana! Riding this airboat must be like having sex with me!"
"How can an airboat be selfish?!"

Archer's the best.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 16:47 Armengar

on the mouse problem, I recently had the same on my logitech mx518. It was one of the solder pads that the microswitch was soldered too, it had broke away. After a bit of scratching around the track to expose some fresh copper, I simply resoldered the microswitch as voila! fixed mouse.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 16:46 TurdFergasun

WHAT?!

Creston

DANGER ZONE!!!!

srsly though my mouse just finished dying this morning.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 16:32 Dagnamit

I recently acquired a Mionix Naos 8200. Holy crap, it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever held. It really must be felt to be believed.

Good to hear that others still rock the G5. I moved my G5 to work, because it still works as well as the day I got it. That's about 200 days of WoW, 500 hours of fps, much Diablo 2/3, TL 1 and 2, and everyday use for about 6 years. I can't even imagine how many clicks that is. Pretty much the best peripheral ever made.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 16:30 mch

WHAT?!

Danger Zone.

PSN: CaseDesignate

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 15:17 mag

DG wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:31:
Well, this is timely!

I need to replace my MX510 which was excellent but has suffered enough (too much, evidently).

I had been thinking the G500. Surprised at the comment that G400 > G500? It looked like the G500 was a straight upgrade from G400 with higher DPI, what looked like slightly better build quality plus two additional buttons - plus variable DPI and weights, which admittedly I hadn't been looking forward to fiddling about with.

No one's brought it up yet I think, but I have a G700. I love it. Takes standard rechargeable AA batteries instead of the proprietary G7 ones. Comes with rechargeable eneloops, even.

The only thing I fear is that the micro-USB connector (like all micro-USB connectors) just looks like it should break eventually, but I've had it for a year and a half and it is just as tight and solid a fit as ever.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 14:43 Creston

WHAT?!

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 13:59 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 09:33:
Yup my Razer Copperhead had the exact same problem after less than a year of heavy use. My Logi G5 has been rock steady for like five years.

I heard that Logis after the G5 had build quality issues...

Ya, I've had the same issue with two of my Razer mice. A third is still going strong, but my Logitech has had no problems.

I'm a lefty, so my mice options are a bit limited.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 13:58 Hoop

I sang the praises of the Razer deathadder mouse the last time you were up for a replacement, but no you didn't listen.
Razer rules.

My post Jan2 2012
"Love my DeathAdder it's so light, razer gaming gear ftw."
http://goo.gl/RlkW

Jan 17th 2011
Just picked up a razer deathadder gaming mouse half price.
Highly recommend, really nice big mouse with a matt coating.
Since replacing my usual logitech keyboard last year with a razer I'm a convert.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2013, 14:08.

Um .. Behind you...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 13:29 EvilGrouse

I just retired my microsoft infrafred intellepoint after just over 10 years. Left button started double clicking everything. Hell of a mouse though. No idea how many millions of clicks it did.
Replaced it with a cooler master sentinel advance II with a thumb rest. Woo hoo! Great mouse w/adustable speed on the fly. You can change the colors it puts out too. Oooooooh. Seriously though, I like this mouse.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 13:22 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 12:20:
I'm a high-sensitivity/precise hand guy, but if you prefer to move your entire arm, all you need to do is turn down the settings... Any mouse can do that.

You have to consider the weight of the mouse, how it's designed to be held and etc too, it's not as simple as just turning down the sensitivity IMHO. Some mice are just designed to be used a certain way.

I prefer the hand movement as opposed to a lot of wrist/whole arm movement but it's not good for long term sessions as you cramp up quite easily and its pretty hard on the ulnar nerve.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 13:21 jdreyer

Archer is my second favorite comedy, after AD. Such great satire.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 12:31 DG

Well, this is timely!

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2013, 12:41.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 12:20 jacobvandy

I'm a high-sensitivity/precise hand guy, but if you prefer to move your entire arm, all you need to do is turn down the settings... Any mouse can do that.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo