Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers

CCP Games announces that EVE Online has passed a new subscriber milestone, saying their sci-fi MMORPG now has over a half-million paid players. "Ten years after release, it is incredibly inspiring that, through a lot of hard work from our EVE Online team, we are crossing the half-million subscriber mark," said Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP. "For me, this is a true testament that EVE can live on forever, as long as we do right by her. We have not come to this point alone; millions of players have helped push us to this milestone. I now know in my mind what I previously only believed in my heart: that EVE will outlive us all."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:04 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 13:38:
From what I've read, you aren't necessarily safe even in high security areas. And yeah, there appears to be a "you can never catch up" issue. At least in something like WoW -- you can start from scratch and in a couple of months be as geared as anyone else is for the most part...

You're not safe anywhere. In high-sec you can still get shot at. Admittedly the aggressor is going to get blown up by the SPACEPOLICE but they take time to get there. If there's enough people (or firepower) to take you down before that happens then you're going to get blown up. Of course if your attackers misjudged your tank or mess up then you can loot their ships and moonwalk out of there....

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:00 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
Been playing Eve since 2008. Also been in goonswarm (and it's various re-incarnations from when we forgot to pay the bills in delve), since then so my views skewed a certain way.
Never done any of that high sec mission pve stuff, just went off to null-sec and never looked back.
Plex is great. Pull off one big scam and that's it, never need to pay a sub. New players just days old selling non-existent capital ships to idiots and then buying game time and another (capital ship ready) character with their ill-gotten gains is just brilliant.
I can understand people being bored shitless if they're trying to play the game on their own, it's just not fun that way. Get in a good corp and never look back. Hell if your Billy NoMates just join eve-uni or something to get the hang of it, make some friends and then head off into the great unknown.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

24. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 13:38 Mr. Tact

From what I've read, you aren't necessarily safe even in high security areas. And yeah, there appears to be a "you can never catch up" issue. At least in something like WoW -- you can start from scratch and in a couple of months be as geared as anyone else is for the most part...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 13:32 ItBurn

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 12:48:
I've been intrigued by this game for years, but I've always been put off by the "griefing" issue and the seeming complexity of the game. Complexity isn't of itself bad, but jumping into a complex game that's been around for years as a total noob, doesn't have much appeal.

You bet your ass there's griefing. It's encouraged. In low security space, everyone you meet should be expected to want to kill you. You WILL lose your hard earned ships. The idea is to never fly what you can't fully replace. Also, all the long time players have a major advantage over others. Skills raise with time and there are so many that there's not really a limit.

22. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 12:48 Mr. Tact

I've been intrigued by this game for years, but I've always been put off by the "griefing" issue and the seeming complexity of the game. Complexity isn't of itself bad, but jumping into a complex game that's been around for years as a total noob, doesn't have much appeal.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 12:42 Jivaro

Nomaar wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 11:09:
(snip) When my wife got breast cancer eight years ago, I used to get lost in that game well into the night after she'd gone to sleep (She battled it and won, btw).

Congratulations to both of you for winning that battle. In what is perhaps the understatement of the millennium, cancer is a bitch. Even when it is complete strangers I feel a strange sense of relief and happiness when I hear of someone that has successfully fought it into remission. I am sure my own family history plays a part in that.

20. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:37 SpectralMeat

Yeah it was fun, but all that stuff took hours to setup and coordinate with others etc., so it was a major time sink which I do not have anymore. Also all this stuff was years ago, many many changes were done to the game since then.

I did get back into it a while back and got destroyed and lost a lot of valuable loot in high security sector at a gate by pirates.
They did get pretty sophisticated now, sniping hundreds of km away from gates, and stuff like that. Ultimately it just comes down to time for me. I wouldn't mind the $15 a month or $100 or so a year if I have time to play the game and enjoy it.
I'd rather pay the $100 for this game for a year then for CoD with the DLCs.

Steam: SpectralMeat

19. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:25 Creston

When my wife got breast cancer eight years ago, I used to get lost in that game well into the night after she'd gone to sleep (She battled it and won, btw).

That's good to hear.

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:55:
Running through gates in 0.0 with an industrial ship packed with goodies was always exciting and required lots of coordination with other corp members, scouting ahead etc.
The othe good one was pirate hunting, leaving a miner in the field and a whole fleet is cloaked waiting for the pirates to ambush the mining op.

Good times.

That does sound fun, especially the cloaked ambush. I've thought about joining EVE every now and then, but the monthly fee would 'force' me to play more often than I'd really want to.

Creston

18. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:21 Creston

Congrats. Well deserved.

Creston

17. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:13 ItBurn

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:55:
Nomaar wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:51:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:27:
Wow. let me balance things here.

Eve is an amazingly complex game and there's definitely no other like it. You can really get lost into this "other world".

With that said, to offset all the positive comments in the thread, the game is boring. Extremely boring.

A lot of people are going to find it boring, but they're not striving for mass appeal. They're serving a very specific niche and have stuck to that philosophy for over a decade. That's something to be admired in an industry where just about every publisher seems to eventually succumb to the temptation to dumb things down to increase sales.

Definitely. I'm glad it exists. It just pisses me off that it's so close to greatness, but made all these decisions I don't agree with. If I ever become super depressive or if my life becomes unbearably terrible, I'll probably get lost in EVE and play 24/7 :p

It's kind of funny you mentioned that, because as someone who as played on and off since beta, I too have noticed it's a game I'm drawn to when I'm feeling down and depressed. When my wife got breast cancer eight years ago, I used to get lost in that game well into the night after she'd gone to sleep (She battled it and won, btw).

For more minor depressions, like when your gf leaves you, I highly recommend Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. You can definitely get lost in it for a good amount of hours, and it's actually a lot of fun :p

16. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 Dev

BTW, if more MMO's aimed for 100k levels of subs (so they'd be profitable at that number), they'd be successful. There's a number of success stories in that range, and not just EVE.

But too many of them aim for the millions (as in they'd have to get millions of subs or go bankrupt) and fail.

Anyway, EVE is a good example of a company that aimed to be profitable at a practical and achievable number of subscribers, and they succeeded.

15. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 Nomaar

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:55:

Eve is an amazingly complex game and there's definitely no other like it. You can really get lost into this "other world".

With that said, to offset all the positive comments in the thread, the game is boring. Extremely boring.

A lot of people are going to find it boring, but they're not striving for mass appeal. They're serving a very specific niche and have stuck to that philosophy for over a decade. That's something to be admired in an industry where just about every publisher seems to eventually succumb to the temptation to dumb things down to increase sales.

Definitely. I'm glad it exists. It just pisses me off that it's so close to greatness, but made all these decisions I don't agree with. If I ever become super depressive or if my life becomes unbearably terrible, I'll probably get lost in EVE and play 24/7 :p

It's kind of funny you mentioned that, because as someone who as played on and off since beta, I too have noticed it's a game I'm drawn to when I'm feeling down and depressed. When my wife got breast cancer eight years ago, I used to get lost in that game well into the night after she'd gone to sleep (She battled it and won, btw).

14. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:01 Quboid

fawker wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 09:51:
Considering the majority of f2p models are horrible cash grabs, I'm glad they are not.

I like having the full experience for a nominal monthly fee, rather than never having the full experience in F2P, without spending hundreds of dollars.

I agree. The Android Market (I still prefer that to Google Play Store) is awful for this. Looking at the top free, top new free and top grossing and the same titles pop up time and again. These are supposedly free, how can they be top grossing? I wonder...

Clearly there's bucket loads of money so I can see why it's being jumped upon but it's already got to the point where I view paying for an Android game to be a good thing. When paid games start getting away with in-app purchases, then I'm screwed. It wouldn't be hard for Google to enable filtering of apps with in-app payments but doing this for PC games is a lot harder.

Let me pay you a fair price for the game and then let me compete using my skill or fail to compete due to my lack of skill. Don't put me in a position where the top ranks of your game is limited to kids with their parents' credit card.

Still, $15/m sounds like a lot. I'm not sure how plex affect things, if this means the top players effectively play for free, do some of the lower players buy extra?

- Quboid

13. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:55 ItBurn

12. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:55 SpectralMeat

What adds to the "boring" factor for a lot of people is that this game really meant to be played within a corp with others. If you try to play it a solo game and do nothing but agent missions or mine, you will be bored in no time.

Some of my most memorable gaming moments are from this game when I was part of a corp and we were doing mining ops in 0.0 sec space, or went to take down enemy bases etc.

Running through gates in 0.0 with an industrial ship packed with goodies was always exciting and required lots of coordination with other corp members, scouting ahead etc.
The othe good one was pirate hunting, leaving a miner in the field and a whole fleet is cloaked waiting for the pirates to ambush the mining op.

Good times.

11. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:51 Nomaar

10. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:27 ItBurn

9. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:25 Bopper

Nice to see they are doing so well.  
- Boppa

8. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:19 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:06:
I think a lot of people are just buying plex with in game currency and that is how they pay for their subscription. However that turns the game into work and not fun.

It is a great game and I am glad it is still going strong but I doubt I will be back. I much prefer the quick games these days that doesn't require me to invest hours at the time to get anywhere.
I am lucky these days if I can sit down to play games for an hour a day without interruptions.

Yeah if I could just portion it off in hour long increments I too would probably still be playing it, but back when I was playing EvE there was no way to do that and advance in any significant manner...

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:06 SpectralMeat

I think a lot of people are just buying plex with in game currency and that is how they pay for their subscription. However that turns the game into work and not fun.

It is a great game and I am glad it is still going strong but I doubt I will be back. I much prefer the quick games these days that doesn't require me to invest hours at the time to get anywhere.
I am lucky these days if I can sit down to play games for an hour a day without interruptions.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo