Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers

CCP Games announces that EVE Online has passed a new subscriber milestone, saying their sci-fi MMORPG now has over a half-million paid players. "Ten years after release, it is incredibly inspiring that, through a lot of hard work from our EVE Online team, we are crossing the half-million subscriber mark," said Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP. "For me, this is a true testament that EVE can live on forever, as long as we do right by her. We have not come to this point alone; millions of players have helped push us to this milestone. I now know in my mind what I previously only believed in my heart: that EVE will outlive us all."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Mar 3, 2013, 10:54 SpectralMeat

Suppa7 wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 10:42:
Eve is still a shite game.
500k people disagree with you

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Mar 3, 2013, 10:42 Suppa7

Eve is still a shite game.  

44. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Mar 1, 2013, 02:08 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 21:12:
NKD wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 18:25:
There's no reason after 3 months of training that you should HAVE to pay a monthly fee. I pay a monthly fee because I don't log in often enough right now to actually make ISKs. In fact, I lose ISKs because of skill book costs. But if I were to log in I could pay for my sub in 20 hours of running missions or mining. 20 hours a month to avoid a monthly fee isn't a huge investment.

Heh, true, but you're saying that your time is worth $0.70 per hour.

Pretty depressing if you think of it that way And if you're spending that time alone in an asteroid belt, it DOES feel like a grind in the purest form. If you're just playing with your corp mates though, you don't even think about it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

43. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 28, 2013, 21:24 HorrorScope

GayBlade wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 08:52:
I really do love playing EVE, but I do not play anymore due to the $14.99 subscription model.

As the MMO industry has evolved away from charging subscriptions, I too have evolved in not wanting to pay for one.

If CCP would move to a free to play model, I would be back in a heartbeat.

Cheapest gaming outside of indy steam sale.

42. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 21:12 jdreyer

There's no reason after 3 months of training that you should HAVE to pay a monthly fee. I pay a monthly fee because I don't log in often enough right now to actually make ISKs. In fact, I lose ISKs because of skill book costs. But if I were to log in I could pay for my sub in 20 hours of running missions or mining. 20 hours a month to avoid a monthly fee isn't a huge investment.

Heh, true, but you're saying that your time is worth $0.70 per hour.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

41. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 19:03 NKD

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 18:39:

I suffered through the learn to learn bullshit. As for the rest, I think you are a bit of an elitist and/or are way better than average at the game and also live in fantasy land where everything is perfect for everyone.

Yeah it used to be 3 months of learning to learn, since that paid off relatively "quickly", like at the 9 or 12 month mark. So glad they got rid of that.

I don't consider myself better than average. I'm a novice EVE player in terms of being knowledgeable about the game, but a little research and you can find out what's making money and pay your monthly fee in just a couple of months. At least these days.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

40. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 18:39 ItBurn

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 17:30:
NKD wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 17:13:
Also EVE is already essentially free to play once you've got some income. You can buy game-time with in-game currency!

I've played for several years and never had enough money for that.
As for being able to be effective quickly, I call bullshit on that. Unless the game dramatically changed since I played. Back when I played, you had to train for months before you could do anything productive at all. And if you did something well, it was that ONLY thing, nothing else. And you had to focus only on that or else you were severly gimping yourself. Got boring quick.

If you played for several years and weren't making enough money per month to pay for your game time, you were probably spreading yourself way too thin or were just sitting offline training skills instead of actually playing and making money. When a month of gameplay is 1/4th the cost of a nicely fitted battleship or strategic cruiser, it's hard to imagine not being able to pull that together in a month on a focused character with skills that bring in actual money.

In fact, I really do wonder what you actually do in EVE. You have no isk, and say it takes months to get effective. Get effective at what? Running L4 missions? Sure. Wormhole space? Sure. Tackling? Sniping? Scouting? Mining? Hauling? All of those are 4-6 week training to get effective enough to where you can get into an okay corp. In fact, you'll have the character skills before you actually know how to properly play the role. They do give you accelerated learning for your first so many SP now though, and have eliminated the "Learn to learn faster" skill tree.

I suffered through the learn to learn bullshit. As for the rest, I think you are a bit of an elitist and/or are way better than average at the game and also live in fantasy land where everything is perfect for everyone.

39. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 18:25 NKD

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 17:30:
Also EVE is already essentially free to play once you've got some income. You can buy game-time with in-game currency!

As for being able to be effective quickly, I call bullshit on that. Unless the game dramatically changed since I played. Back when I played, you had to train for months before you could do anything productive at all. And if you did something well, it was that ONLY thing, nothing else. And you had to focus only on that or else you were severly gimping yourself. Got boring quick.

If you played for several years and weren't making enough money per month to pay for your game time, you were probably spreading yourself way too thin or were just sitting offline training skills instead of actually playing and making money. When a month of gameplay is 1/4th the cost of a nicely fitted battleship or strategic cruiser, it's hard to imagine not being able to pull that together in a month on a focused character with skills that bring in actual money.

In fact, I really do wonder what you actually do in EVE. You have no isk, and say it takes months to get effective. Get effective at what? Running L4 missions? Sure. Wormhole space? Sure. Tackling? Sniping? Scouting? Mining? Hauling? All of those are 4-6 week training to get effective enough to where you can get into an okay corp. In fact, you'll have the character skills before you actually know how to properly play the role. They do give you accelerated learning for your first so many SP now though, and have eliminated the "Learn to learn faster" skill tree.

38. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 17:30 ItBurn

37. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 17:13 NKD

ViRGE wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 17:03:
I really do love playing EVE, but I do not play anymore due to the $14.99 subscription model.

As the MMO industry has evolved away from charging subscriptions, I too have evolved in not wanting to pay for one.

If they did that, CCP would have to give up their current development model of giving everyone free upgrades, which is a huge part of how the current universe operates. Basing future development off of subscription revenue means that CCP can work on whatever they think will improve the game, be it refactoring code or introducing new ships.

An expansion pack model not only fractures the community (it would be very difficult to try to separate old and new content in a game without levels or zones), but it effectively locks CCP into having to deliver major new content additions every time.

36. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 17:03 ViRGE

If they did that, CCP would have to give up their current development model of giving everyone free upgrades, which is a huge part of how the current universe operates. Basing future development off of subscription revenue means that CCP can work on whatever they think will improve the game, be it refactoring code or introducing new ships.

An expansion pack model not only fractures the community (it would be very difficult to try to separate old and new content in a game without levels or zones), but it effectively locks CCP into having to deliver major new content additions every time.

35. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 16:32 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 16:08:
It's not like other MMOs where you gotta grind to the top tier of gear before you can even play.
That's quite true, and for nublets there's no shortage of starter corps that they can join as well which will help them out. I haven't played in..jeeze almost a year now, but I might start sometime in the next few months if we hit another gaming dryspell.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 16:08 NKD

briktal wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 16:00:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 13:38:
From what I've read, you aren't necessarily safe even in high security areas. And yeah, there appears to be a "you can never catch up" issue. At least in something like WoW -- you can start from scratch and in a couple of months be as geared as anyone else is for the most part...

The "catch up" isn't THAT bad in EVE. There are limits on how effective you can be in a particular role. After a year or two (granted that's not a speedy catch up), most skill growth is giving you options. For example, you can catch up and be able to fly a battleship as well as a vet, but he'll also be able to fly an interceptor well and you won't.

Yep. Catching up isn't really a thing in EVE like in other MMOs. You can get your character to the point of being useful and in-demand for various corporations within a few weeks of training. Some specialized corporations will have hefty requirements, but many just want you to not be a liability. And even being fodder can be immense fun. You don't have to be a Titan Jockey to enjoy EVE. It's not like other MMOs where you gotta grind to the top tier of gear before you can even play.

33. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 16:00 briktal

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 13:38:
From what I've read, you aren't necessarily safe even in high security areas. And yeah, there appears to be a "you can never catch up" issue. At least in something like WoW -- you can start from scratch and in a couple of months be as geared as anyone else is for the most part...

The "catch up" isn't THAT bad in EVE. There are limits on how effective you can be in a particular role. After a year or two (granted that's not a speedy catch up), most skill growth is giving you options. For example, you can catch up and be able to fly a battleship as well as a vet, but he'll also be able to fly an interceptor well and you won't.

32. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 15:55 NKD

MMO 10 years old still growing. I think EVE Online is unique in that. By the time WoW hits 10 years old next year, it won't be anywhere near its own peak.  

31. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:57 deqer

"I now know in my mind what I previously only believed in my heart: that EVE will outlive us all.""

Isn't that expected? We already expect games to last forever.

Why lure us into a type of game that could suddenly end at some point in the future without any compensation to it's customers because your EULA says so?

Oh right, it's because it's not about us; it's about you making money. Because business is business, right?--or some shit phrase like that.

30. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:24 ItBurn

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 14:21:
PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 14:00:
Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
In my case I was moving all my stuff from one base to another due to relocating for agent missions. I have my blueprints for ammo, drones etc so I am not so dependent on the market in the region I am working out of.
I was careless and going through a sector that was 0.4 security and sure enough I was ambushed at the gate.
I wasn't mad about it rather amazed by how organized and high tech the pirates were, and also thankful they let me get away in my pod. They only wanted to blow up my ship I guess.
It is a fun game for sure and the "death" penalty can be pretty devastating if you aren't careful.
All the dull time in the game makes the combat the more emotional and exciting.

First time I went in low sec, I got blown up by two guys waaaay over my head. Then they podded me and I lost all my implants also :p. Almost stopped playing there.

29. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:21 SpectralMeat

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 14:00:
Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
In my case I was moving all my stuff from one base to another due to relocating for agent missions. I have my blueprints for ammo, drones etc so I am not so dependent on the market in the region I am working out of.
I was careless and going through a sector that was 0.4 security and sure enough I was ambushed at the gate.
I wasn't mad about it rather amazed by how organized and high tech the pirates were, and also thankful they let me get away in my pod. They only wanted to blow up my ship I guess.
It is a fun game for sure and the "death" penalty can be pretty devastating if you aren't careful.
All the dull time in the game makes the combat the more emotional and exciting.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:13 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:06:
I think a lot of people are just buying plex with in game currency and that is how they pay for their subscription. However that turns the game into work and not fun.

It is a great game and I am glad it is still going strong but I doubt I will be back. I much prefer the quick games these days that doesn't require me to invest hours at the time to get anywhere.
I am lucky these days if I can sit down to play games for an hour a day without interruptions.

Completely agree. Played for a few months about 5 years ago, and extremely enjoyed it. But now married with kids and no time for MMOs like that. Plus got a huge Steam backlog to work through.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

27. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 14:06 saluk

You aren't 100% guaranteed safe in high-sec, but it's not like you are going to by flying around scared of an attack any minute.

I play this game for a couple months every couple years or so. I'm glad it exists, if only for the interesting news stories about crazy wars that break out or in-game banks that scam the entire playerbase out of all of their money. But it's not the space mmo I WANT to play.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo