Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Version 5.2 "Imminent"

A new trailer from Blizzard Entertainment offers a look at what they say is the "imminent" release of the new version 5.2 "The Thunder King" patch for World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. They also offer this post with a round up of informative links about the new version.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 21:47 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 19:09:
It makes no sense to compare completely passive entertainment to interactive videogames, apples to oranges.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Whether I'm gaming, biking, or watching a movie, to me it is all one thing -- killing time.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 19:09 Redmask

It makes no sense to compare completely passive entertainment to interactive videogames, apples to oranges.

I really dislike the direction they took WOW, I understand what they were going for but I feel like the game quality has suffered for it. I made some great friends in the game but I can't help but feel a bit betrayed that they used my monthly funds to turn the game into something I don't like anymore.

12. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 14:47 Mr. Tact

I don't know how else you can measure entertainment other than time and cost, outside that it's all subjective. If going to a movie cost me $7 (current matinee price here) and it's a two hour movie, that entertainment cost me $3.5 an hour. Compared to say, playing paintball which costs $5 an hour. The movie is less costly. Seems straight forward and simple to me.

*shrug* Whatever.

11. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 14:19 Verno

Those comparisons don't really make sense to me though, I don't view my entertainment as spreadsheet items where I break down each morsel of enjoyment line by line.

I look at it this way, I could make dinner at home for $20 or eat out for $100, sometimes the experience is worth the extra money. Sometimes a videogame is $60 and sometimes it's $1000+ for the social aspects more than anything else.

But let's not pretend it's a bargain, amusing yourself in other ways to substitute for WoW could be just as economical. It's expensive but if you enjoy it there's nothing wrong with having an expensive hobby. There's no rule saying whoops wasn't playing WoW, instead watched movies for $20 a pop You could have not played WoW at all and just watched TV the entire time too, that would have been cheaper.

Anyways it's neither here nor there, just one I see pop up on forums a lot that amuses me

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 11:41 Mr. Tact

zombiefan wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:42:
$1100+ for a video game. Insanity.
Insane? Yes and no.

You are correct that my out of pocket costs where over $1,000 in the six years I was playing the game. But if you look at it on a per hour basis, it was extremely cheap. Even at the most conservative estimates, I played the game 500+ hours a year. There were months at time where I played 30+ hours a week.

Going to just 2-3 movies a month would have cost me more. Or even easier, one good dinner out each month would have cost me more. Neither of those would occupy my time for even a faction of what WoW did. Compared to those costs, the game cost was pocket change and not even a consideration.

Oh, and for the record -- all during that time I was a successful full-time employee of a major corporation. (And no, I couldn't play at work)

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2013, 11:47.

9. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 10:50 nin

zombiefan wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:42:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 08:02:
Agreed. I played the hell out of the game for nearly 6 years,

(Disclaimer: Not a personal attack against you, but all WoW players in general.)
Wow. I just did the math. That's $1130. Provided I just calculated the $50 base game, no expansions and at $15/mo.

$15 a month is a AAA title every 4 months ($60) or 3 a year. I'm pretty sure a lot of people do that?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 10:42 zombiefan

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 08:02:
Agreed. I played the hell out of the game for nearly 6 years,

(Disclaimer: Not a personal attack against you, but all WoW players in general.)
Wow. I just did the math. That's $1130. Provided I just calculated the $50 base game, no expansions and at $15/mo.

7. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 08:02 Mr. Tact

Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 05:53:
It was an excellent bit of software engineering when it was released and they have managed to captivate audiences year after year. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad. Though I haven't played it in some time I still respect what they have built.)
Agreed. I played the hell out of the game for nearly 6 years, but I have no interest in it any longer. I wish I'd done anything as successful as WoW. So much of the criticism of it seems quiet pointless.

6. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 07:04 Redmask

The game isn't fun for me anymore and I don't care about respecting what they've made, it's not an art exhibit I'm going to admire. If other people enjoy it then good for them.  

5. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 05:53 Fibrocyte

TurdFergasun wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 21:36:
oh boy, the mcdonalds of video games is coming out with a new flavor of milkshake!!! rejoice peasants!

Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!

(P.S. Calling WoW the McDonalds of video games is ignorant. It was an excellent bit of software engineering when it was released and they have managed to captivate audiences year after year. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad. Though I haven't played it in some time I still respect what they have built.)

4. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 28, 2013, 04:04 MoonSpook

Frijoles wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 23:02:
Some good changes in this patch. I'm looking forward to it. Can't say I care much for the raid. Trolls are over done.

If it was troll-only, I'd agree, but I think it's much more of a mix between Trolls and Mogu, with a few other boss types in there. Looking forward to it too though.

3. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 27, 2013, 23:02 Frijoles

Some good changes in this patch. I'm looking forward to it. Can't say I care much for the raid. Trolls are over done.  

2. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 27, 2013, 21:36 TurdFergasun

oh boy, the mcdonalds of video games is coming out with a new flavor of milkshake!!! rejoice peasants!  

1. Re: World of Warcraft Version 5.2 Feb 27, 2013, 20:47 Wallshadows

Meh. Maybe when they bring back The Burning Legion, I'll be interested.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo