Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs

An interview on Dutch site InsideGamer talks with Yves Guillemot, and the Ubisoft CEO reveals the new PlayStation 4 architecture allows them to develop games with the PC as a lead platform, since it will now be far easier to port to PS4 than the PS3 (thanks VG247 via Player Attack). Here's a Google machine translation of him explaining how the Xbox 360 being lead platform was a problem for Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, and how their upcoming Watch_Dogs will benefit from being developed on the PC:

We have, in my opinion, but a game that had really had problems with a port and that's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. The PC project could be better managed. But with the other brands there is a lot of time and effort in which all platforms have the perfect game.

We also expect fewer problems with porting games to the PS4 than the PS3, which had a completely different infrastructure. It is now easier. Previously, we developed first games on the Xbox 360 and which were then translated into the PS3. It took a lot of time and money to make that port. Now we develop from the PC and which versions are translated into a console like the PlayStation 4.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 14:13 Verno

Ubisoft generally does pretty good ports for the PC and if they want to develop first for the PC then hey, why look a gift horse in the mouth?

As long as I don't have to wear out my escape key like Far Cry 3 though!

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 14:03 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:28:
A lot of effort? A variety of people experiencing a lot (!) of technical problems with these two games might think otherwise.
And I'm sure people that find a hair in their food while eating at McDonald's are equally annoyed but that doesn't mean it's representative of the experience. Far Cry 3 was a very well done PC port that took advantage of the platform and I found it to be a very reliable game, especially considering the scale and complexity of the game - as did the other people I talked to about it.

Here we have a developer putting the PC first and yet people still want to bitch and moan. Get a life.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 13:10 Beamer

Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:51:
I'm looking forward to the inevitable "is PC gaming dead?" type news posts that follow 1 year after the new consoles ship, always a good time!

Pretty much.

Why are they leading PC?
1) They are releasing on the new consoles, so leading on the old consoles makes little sense. In order to sell better on the new consoles it needs to look significantly better on them, and it's easier to scale that down then scale it up
2) No one knows which new console will sell the most, so it's safer to split the middle with the PC
3) No one really knows how the new consoles will work, so it's safer to go with the PC
4) There aren't any final dev kits, so it's safer to go with the PC

This isn't "PC is great" so much as "it's either old technology, unproven/unknown technology, or something we already know well."

No reason to rejoice yet. Also: not marketing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 13:08 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:41:
Don't...don't, don't...don't believe the hype.
But it looks so good... I rarely get excited about a game these days...

LET US HAVE THIS HOPE!

17. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 12:51 Verno

I'm looking forward to the inevitable "is PC gaming dead?" type news posts that follow 1 year after the new consoles ship, always a good time!  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

16. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 12:41 Cutter

Don't...don't, don't...don't believe the hype.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 12:28 Kajetan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:27:
Recent games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 took advantage of DX11 features and really had a lot of effort put in.
A lot of effort? A variety of people experiencing a lot (!) of technical problems with these two games might think otherwise.

14. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 12:07 space admiral

im way more interested in a sequel to Sleeping Dogs

United Front Games would "love to make another Sleeping Dogs", the game's executive producer Stephen van Der Mescht has said, adding that the team is "really happy" that the title ended up as a new IP, rather than a True Crime game.

Discussing the story of Sleeping Dogs' resurrection in the latest issue of Game Informer, van Der Mescht stated that separating the project from the True Crime brand "was a huge relief".

"We never viewed the game as a True Crime game (although it shared similar features), but the tone we were trying to achieve was quite different," he said.

"All in all, we are really happy that we ended up back where we started with a new IP."

13. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 11:27 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:13:
Yupp. Its only marketing. Nothing more.
Actually, Ubisoft has a history of decent PC releases for multiplatform games. Recent games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 took advantage of DX11 features and really had a lot of effort put in.

12. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 10:26 xXBatmanXx

I don't believe them.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 10:13 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:04:
Confusion in the console world: Publishers suddenly scream "PIRATES PC PLAYERS WE LURVE YOU PLEEEZE PLAY OUR GAMEZ! PLEEZZ??"

In 2014, the rhetoric will be "TEH CONSOLES ARE TEH BESTEST FUCK TEH PC PLAYERS PIRATES!"
Yupp. Its only marketing. Nothing more.

10. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 10:04 Creston

Confusion in the console world: Publishers suddenly scream "PIRATES PC PLAYERS WE LURVE YOU PLEEEZE PLAY OUR GAMEZ! PLEEZZ??"

In 2014, the rhetoric will be "TEH CONSOLES ARE TEH BESTEST FUCK TEH PC PLAYERS PIRATES!"

Creston

9. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:51 Acleacius

No longer the wicked stepchild locked in the basement, now we're just the black-sheep of the family! Hug  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:49 necrosis

And the game will still be in forced 16:9 because its Ubisoft.  

7. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 theyarecomingforyou

Well, even if it's just a PR statement at least it's better than being ignored. GTA5 is its closest rival and the PC has been actively snubbed as a platform, which is particularly offensive after the disgusting PC port of GTA4. And at least Ubisoft is willing to show off actual gameplay, which Rockstar has been unwilling to do.

It remains to be seen whether Watch_Dogs will live up to its potential but it certainly looks promising.

6. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

Well... I don't know about PC being the lead platform... but I have to imagine both next gen consoles being x86, dx11-era video, and a good chunk of RAM, has to help the "porting to another platform" situation quite a lot.

Developers generally not supporting the mouse and keyboard may still be an issue, though.

5. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:29 netnerd85

yay, doodles!  

4. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:29 Tim Collins

This is good news :-)  

3. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:29 fawker

I've heard these promises before.

I think they are jumping the gun here.

2. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 09:28 nin